The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Make or break time for Donaire - don't let this fight slip off the radar!

+9
milkyboy
DuransHorse
alanqlm
wheelchair1991
hazharrison
WelshDevilRob
Pedro147
TRUSSMAN66
88Chris05
13 posters

Go down

Make or break time for Donaire - don't let this fight slip off the radar! Empty Make or break time for Donaire - don't let this fight slip off the radar!

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 14 Oct 2014, 11:39 am

Alright lads?

Surprised this fight hasn't had a bit more talk in advance on here - appreciate that Golovkin is topping the bill at the Stub Hub this weekend and he's the fighter we all love to watch, but I think the main undercard fight, Nonito Donaire against Nicholas Walters for the WBA Featherweight title, will be a hell of a lot more competitive and has more on the line, too.

In the space of eighteen months, Donaire's gone from being arguably Floyd Mayweather's biggest threat to pound for pound supremacy to almost an afterthought. Outboxed and foxed by Rigondeaux, he then looked dreadful against a shopworn Vic Darchinyan for eight rounds (more than six years after he completely wiped out a peak, unbeaten Vic) before finding the pay-off punch to get himself out of trouble - and what would have been a disastrous loss - in the ninth, and then came an unsatisfactory fight against Simpiwie Vetyeka in May. Donaire claimed the WBA 'Super' belt at 126, making him a titlist in four weight classes (five if you want to count interim belts), but while he decked the South African with his trademark left in the fourth, he also had some shaky-looking moments in the fight, looking easy to hit, slower than usual and getting pushed around and roughed up at times. The bout was also shoddily officiated, compounded by a feeling amongst some that Donaire quit when he could have fought on through his eye injury. I don't necessarily think that's the case, but even Donaire said afterwards that, overall, he couldn't be too happy or satisfied with the victory.

Some interesting curve balls to consider for this week's fight against Walters. For the first time since that first Darchinyan fight way back in 2007, Donaire has been installed as the underdog by the bookies. This is also, perhaps, the first time he's been in there with a bigger hitter than himself - Donaire is used to being the puncher in his fights.

I can see why Walters has been made a slight favourite. He's a genuine, big Featherweight (he looked huge next to an admittedly blown-up Darchinyan in his last fight in May, on the undercard of Donaire-Vetyeka, but we'll get to that later), carries a serious punch, has some height and a lot of reach on Donaire (Nonito had a hard time winning the jab exchanges against smaller guys, never mind proper Featherweights) and is the younger, fresher, undefeated man. There's no doubt that he's catching Donaire at a good time, to the point where some are even predicting that Walters isn't just going to beat Donaire, but that he'll also become the first man to stop him.

But I'm not completely convinced by the Jamaican just yet.

Clearly, he has real knockout power, which is always a great place to start and can take you a long way in this sport. He seemed to shake Alberto Garza (TKO 4) with every shot he landed right from the first bell, and the way he flattened Darchinyan (KO 5) with his left hook after flooring him twice previously was a sickener.

But here's the problem - Garza, game though he was, just isn't a top-line Featherweight, and Darchinyan is now thirty-eight, worn out by a lot of wars, looked tiny in comparison to Walters (Vic is another who started out as a Flyweight, same as Donaire) and hasn't had a knockout above Super-Flyweight, I believe. You can only beat who is put in front of you, I guess, and Walters has been doing that, usually in pretty quick time. But is that form line enough to make him a betting favourite over a modern great like Donaire, even if that modern great has slipped in recent fights?

What's more, in my opinion Walters has had a couple of questionable moments in those aforementioned fights. For a guy with a 73" reach (pretty freakish for a Featherweight), he doesn't look like a guy who can / will establish a consistent jab to control the range. He doesn't frame or set up his attacks with the jab, and I was surprised at how easily Darchinyan, who was basically just using crude, bull-rushing tactics, was able to get inside against Walters and make him trade hooks. Vic was just too small and over-powered to make it count, mind you, but as he moves up in class it's something you'd advise Walters to work on. He cuts an imposing figure as a Featherweight and I'm expecting him to look and be significantly bigger than Donaire on fight night, but his defence looks nothing special from where I'm sitting.

Despite that open-looking defence, oddly enough Walters' chin hasn't been properly tested yet, largely because the guys who have been landing on it just haven't had any pop in their shots in any case. He's been able to shrugg off whatever has been coming back from his opponents, but Donaire could well be a different kettle of fish. Nonito's power has reduced as he's gone up in weight, which is par for the course. Whereas he was devastating at 112, 115 and 118, at Super-Bantam and Feather it's clear that he can't move opponents with every single shot like he used to do. But that doesn't mean he doesn't still carry a worthwhile punch even at the higher weight, and it's certainly a better punch than either Garza or Darchinyan were bringing to the table against Walters. Donaire hasn't shone against Rigondeaux, Darchinyan in their rematch or Vetyeka, but he was still able to drop all three of them at some stage.

The quality of Walters' chin, yet unknown, could well be what decides this fight. Both men are big hitters by nature, but I don't think the fight is going to be a war or barnstormer like some others are predicting. Despite being bigger than his oponents so far, Walters generally hasn't looked to overwhelm them or throw a torrent of shots. He's happy to let them come at him, it seems. Likewise, unless he comes up with a drastic u-turn and goes back to his younger days all of a sudden, we know how Donaire will approach the fight. He'll look to counter with his left and wait in the centre of the ring, trying to tempt Walters in to trading. Neither are volume punchers (Donaire's output has been pretty pitiful in recent fights) so I imagine they'll both be cautious of the other man's power and won't go in there all guns blazing.

It could well be a case of Donaire needing to find that power punch to floor / deter Walters if he's going to win. When he's not trading with a guy, Donaire's output has been so low lately, and his defence (particularly against a jab and left hooks) so poor that before he knows it he could be a few rounds down in this fight. Walters will likely be the busier and, on the occasions he does use his jab, he should be well in charge with it. But the evidence suggests that at some point he's going to end up trading hooks with Donaire. There is a chance that he could put Donaire down for a count, sure, but we know Donaire's a tough guy who can take a shot, whereas we're still not sure on that front when it comes to Walters. In rounds that are fought at a slightly more rangey distance, Walters should be in control.

If Walters' chin holds up he should win, I guess, as his overall combination of size, power and superior output should prove just a bit too much for Nonito who is now just a straight up puncher who is almost destined to lose more rounds than he wins. I think he'll have to take that Donaire left hook at some stage; it's a wonderful punch, but at the higher weights it's not a guarantee of putting the other guy in dire straits as it used to be. If Walters takes it, then Donaire doesn't have much to fall back on, I fear, and might find himself on the wrong end of a decision.

Might well turn in to an exciting fight late on, I guess, if Donaire is behind and needs a KO and if Walters feels he's softened Donaire up enough to go looking for a KO himself.

A lot on the line for Donaire here. Losing to a dangerous, but also unheralded guy in Walters could well spell the end of his days as an elite fighter. On the other hand, if he wins and proves the bookies wrong against this knockout artist, he's right back in business and can go in to fights against the likes of Lomachenko confident, and perhaps even the betting favourite himself. Crunch time for both men - not a fight I'd like to bet on, but one that I'll be watching with great interest.

Cheers, fellas.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Make or break time for Donaire - don't let this fight slip off the radar! Empty Re: Make or break time for Donaire - don't let this fight slip off the radar!

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 14 Oct 2014, 12:16 pm

Wouldn't waste your time writing so much on here chris.........The two people that bother surfing these boards haven't got the patience to read it...

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Tue 14 Oct 2014, 12:54 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ..)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Make or break time for Donaire - don't let this fight slip off the radar! Empty Re: Make or break time for Donaire - don't let this fight slip off the radar!

Post by Guest Tue 14 Oct 2014, 12:59 pm

That's some edit there TRUSSY...was gonna say that Rigo-Donaire 2 would have been a tough sell given Rigo's own promoter doesn't fancy the guy, so whilst it would have been nice to see if Donaire could avenge his defeat, it would have only been watched by the same two people surfing these boards.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro147 Tue 14 Oct 2014, 1:04 pm

This fight and the GGG fight are live on Sky Sports on Sunday morning. Hasn't been pushed by Sky so just mentioning for anyone that doesn't know.

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 14 Oct 2014, 1:04 pm

I was a bit hard on Donaire....

The only person I've been hard on for a while...Unfortunately !! Sad Sad Sad Cool

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro147 Tue 14 Oct 2014, 1:08 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I was a bit hard on Donaire....

The only person I've been hard on for a while...Unfortunately !! Sad Sad Sad Cool

I hope that's only because of lack of opportunity Truss Very Happy

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 14 Oct 2014, 1:15 pm

I am on the lookout for a 21 year old part time play thing Peddy.....Not sure I'd pass the physical though....

Had more chemicals in me over the years than the Station at Chernobyl...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 14 Oct 2014, 1:16 pm

Pedro147 wrote:

Things a bit slow down at the Oyster?

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro147 Tue 14 Oct 2014, 1:19 pm

Back to thread.

Couldn't agree more Chris, Donaire has looked poor in his last few fights and it's hard to know the reason why. Don't know if the Rigo fight took something out of him mentally and that he needs to feel like he's number one to be at his best. It could just be that he's past his best and is there for the taking. The fight again Vic D was alarming, he looked awful but luckily for him he has the equalizer in the locker to bail him out. Maybe he underestimated him too and didn't apply himself like he should've done.

I don't know too much about the guy he's fighting at the weekend but from your synopsis, which is usually spot on, then he's got a big fight on his hands. Seems like he'll have to be back to his best to beat this guy as his current level with not suffice.

A lot of variables going into this fight and some questions to be answered in relation to both men so should be a good fight.

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 14 Oct 2014, 1:26 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
Pedro147 wrote:

Things a bit slow down at the Oyster?

Yes ..I'm still stuck in the closet without the keys !!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by WelshDevilRob Tue 14 Oct 2014, 1:31 pm

Will be looking to watch the HBO version Live, so Jim Watt and co can't hurt my eardrums.

Been looking forward to this fight since it was announced. I think it's a genuine test for both; Donaire to show if he's still got it now that he's campaigning at feather and Walters first real serious test on the World stage.

I'll be rooting for "The Axeman" to chop down the "The Filipino Flash", though it's going to be a bumpy ride. Anything could happen in this fight and I will be glued to the set.

Looks a very good card they've put together and you can never go wrong with "Triple G" headlining. But, fight of the night is Donaire vs Walters. Also, good to see the WBA tidy-up their mess by having the 'regular' and 'super' champions meet. Though I'm sure they will have others fighting for vacant 'regular' and 'interim' belts soon.

WelshDevilRob

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 14 Oct 2014, 2:17 pm

Great preview here from my man Jimmy Tobin:

http://thecruelestsport.com/2014/10/13/nonito-donaire-nicholas-walters-preview/

What a great card to attend live. Apparently tickets are going for big bucks on the black market.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 14 Oct 2014, 2:45 pm

Does seem to be full of question marks this fight..........Almost like a crossroads fight...

Is Donaire past it.............Is Walters the genuine product ??............

Think the four pound difference between super ban and feather shouldn't be too much of a factor........They say it was for Gomez but not sure the first round knockdown didn't take his legs....

Always stick to the tried and tested in fights like this.....Donaire ko 7..

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Tue 14 Oct 2014, 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ..)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Tue 14 Oct 2014, 3:23 pm

WBA will install another champion just like they did when Provetkin lost to Wlad

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 14 Oct 2014, 3:34 pm

You're very cynical Wheelie..

Nearly as cynical as me...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Tue 14 Oct 2014, 4:15 pm

Ruslan Chageav is now WBA regular champion so i think being cynical is ok on this occassion lol

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by alanqlm Tue 14 Oct 2014, 4:36 pm

Jesus Marcelo Andres Cuellar is already "interim WBA World Featherweight champion" - KO'd Juanma last month to 'defend' his belt.

So I give it till the Monday morning following before he is promoted to regular champion. More of a rearranging the mess rather than fixing it.

alanqlm

Back to top Go down

Post by DuransHorse Tue 14 Oct 2014, 9:00 pm

I spotted this fight when checking the BBC schedule the other day and wondered how Donaire had slipped under the radar to such a degree. Given his status pre-Rigo it makes you see why some fighters don't take risky fights, that loss really hurt him despite how much respect Rigo has. OK, Donaire has looked poor since but I suspect Rigo really took the wind out of his sails and knocked his enthusiasm somewhat.

I think this might be the threat he needs to find form and I might even have a bet on this one, Donaire by KO.

DuransHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 14 Oct 2014, 9:30 pm

Interesting match up of one guy trying to prove he has it and one trying to prove he still has it, but I don't know if the result will tell us much about the winner.

Other than an ageing vic, Walters hasn't beaten anyone, just shown he can punch. So if donaire wins, it might open doors for him but I don't think it says he's on the way back. If Walters wins its no surprise as donaire has looked one paced and pretty clueless since, (and including) the rigo fight. So, i Don't think a Walters win proves he's the next coming.

Sure it's not as simple as that as the manner of the performances tell us something, but we learn more about the loser than the winner in this kind of fight. Doesn't make it any less interesting a contest.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Wed 15 Oct 2014, 12:44 am

Donaire is my favourite fighter of this generation and for me a genuine all time great, I'd love to see him pick up a win here and call it a day as he's clearly lost a bit now and was much more effective slightly lower down the weights. I think he'll have his struggles in this fight but if he's switched on I can't see how someone with Walters limited experience at the top level will avoid his power all night so unless Walters chin is made of some very stern stuff I see Donaire stopping him, probably after a quiet opening where he'll look ponderous and have people thinking he's completely shot.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by Brys Wed 15 Oct 2014, 1:20 am

I'd love to see Donaire win as he is one of my favourite fighters, I even got to see him knock the hell outta Montiel in Vegas. I am worried though even prior to the Rigo fight he had been head hunting and hadn't looked fantastic winning, since then though its been hard watching.

I hope he can show us he's a force again come Sat night.

Brys

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 16 Oct 2014, 10:15 pm

Just came across this, interesting interview with Donaire ahead of the fight, makes some interesting points, like his I'll fight anybody line. I do slightly question his motivation though, as underneath everything he says I got a feeling that retirement is not far from his mind, he admits he has achieved a lot, more than he ever expected. Still I hope he wins.

http://www.mma-core.com/videos/Donaire_vs_Walters_Nonito_admits_not_same_fighter_wanted_to_retire_talks_Walters_power/10084012

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri 17 Oct 2014, 10:02 am

Thanks for posting that, sohotnot. Good interview with Donaire there.

He's always come across as a positive, happy-go-lucky guy and it's at least encouraging that he's admitted there that he's fallen in love with his power too much and that he needs to start trying to reintroduce other things which he used to have in his game, such as footwork, setting up his attacks properly and so on....But he was saying the same before the Darchinyan rematch and before Vetyeka, too. Neither fight really suggested he was on track towards doing that, though (albeit the Vetyeka one was cut short, so who knows how that one might have gone).

He says his motivation wasn't great for those fights, and considering what he'd already done to Vic once before and how low-key a name Vetyeka is, that might have been the case, so you can't rule out his claim that we'll see a much-improved Donaire here as he's in there with a big threat this time and someone who is expected by quite a few to beat him.

My concern is that the flat-footedness from the last couple of years might be more down to a straightforward physical decline rather than complacency on Donaire's part, and once the legs get heavy and start to go they don't come back. That doesn't necessarily mean he'll lose the fight here but if Walters doesn't struggle with Donaire's power then it's hard to see Nonito winning a decision, for me.

All depends on how Walters approaches it. He's got a good chance of beating Donaire if he can use his jab and reach or if he can take the power and make it a physical, rough fight inside. But if he gets caught in between those two scenarios and start trading shots with Donaire at mid-range it could be a nasty introduction in to the big time for him.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Fri 17 Oct 2014, 12:44 pm

Good review of this Chris and I'm with the majority in thinking this could be an excellent night of boxing; though I can see why it has fallen under the radar. As much as Donaire was in the P4P lists heading into the Rigondeux fight, he was still more of a niche fighter in the sense that few casuals would have heard of him and even fewer would look out for his fights (especially after the showing against Rigondeux). As is often the case with fighters in the lower divisions, as quickly as there star shines bright, it often fades even faster.

For me Donaire's decline is more down to physical aspects than anything else, although complacency certainly seems to have creeped in also. A 13 year career which started down at 112lbs, seems to have taken it's toll, whether it's taken enough of one for someone of Walters ilk to expose is another question entirely. I would think that if the Filipino Flash is able to go back to the basics which made him so good in his hey day (even if he is a step slower) then he should have too much in the tank...but that's the big question mark..is he able to revert back to those day's or will he simply look for the equalizer again?

I hope he comes through this and I hope he does so in style because there are still a couple of big fights i'd love to see him in before he calls it a day...namely; Lomanchaneko, Mares & Selby (if he comes through Gradovich).

Slightly off topic; know you enjoy the lower weights Chris; any news on whether Estrada & Gonzalez will ever get it on or is he looking at moving up a division?

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Fri 17 Oct 2014, 12:50 pm

I hope once Donaire retires his star shines again as he seems to have had his achievements thought less of since the Rigo fight in some quarters. For me he is a modern day great that has provided some great entertainment in the past and just came up against another special fighter in a division well above his comfort zone. No shame and shouldn't diminish what has gone before hand.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down