The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GGG, Rubio, Donaire and Walters - SPOILERS

+12
wheelchair1991
milkyboy
djlovesyou
Gerry SA
Hammersmith harrier
catchweight
hazharrison
Dipper Brown
ONETWOFOREVER
kingraf
John Bloody Wayne
mobilemaster8
16 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

GGG, Rubio, Donaire and Walters - SPOILERS - Page 3 Empty GGG, Rubio, Donaire and Walters - SPOILERS

Post by mobilemaster8 Sun 19 Oct 2014, 2:01 am

First topic message reminder :

Morning ladies and gents.....anyone up for tonight's big fights?

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

GGG, Rubio, Donaire and Walters - SPOILERS - Page 3 Empty Re: GGG, Rubio, Donaire and Walters - SPOILERS

Post by kingraf Sun 19 Oct 2014, 10:09 pm

To be honest, I think it would have ended this way 9/10 for Donaire. The power just didn't come up to 126. Maybe a slightly younger Donaire holds up the dam walls a little longer, but I suspect the ending is the same
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

GGG, Rubio, Donaire and Walters - SPOILERS - Page 3 Empty Re: GGG, Rubio, Donaire and Walters - SPOILERS

Post by mobilemaster8 Sun 19 Oct 2014, 10:11 pm

Don't know raf... Had he landed the shot he did at the end of the 2nd early in the round...we could have been talking about something different today. Walters got hurt by that shot in a big way.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun 19 Oct 2014, 10:14 pm

He was buzzed by it but he recovered pretty quickly. That was the shot that was wiping out the lower weights. Donaire just wasnt as good the higher he went up. He looked tiny against Walters and he tried everything he could but was coming off second best almost every time.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Sun 19 Oct 2014, 10:16 pm

Tad overrated as well (Donaire).

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 19 Oct 2014, 10:17 pm

Can I ask in what rankings Quillin has dropped to number 10?

Golovkin is doing exceptionally well against what i'd call B and C class fighters but unfortunately for him that is all there is in the middleweight division, the real tests are northwards at 168lbs.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 19 Oct 2014, 10:18 pm

Yes maybe. I said as much at the time. Twenty more seconds and Donaire would more likely than not have won. But for me that would have just masked rather obvious match up problems. It also came twenty seconds after a low blow, so maybe Walters wasn't quite there. Swings and roundabouts. On balance I think a mid round knock out is a fair reflection, and at best, I think Donaire could only hope for a decision loss.

This isn't a knock in Donaire as I genuinely like him, but like he said Walters was really just too big (He reiterated this twice on Facebook, )
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Sun 19 Oct 2014, 10:46 pm

Disappointed in Rubio, mainly because I had sergio mora in mind whenever I thought of Rubio. GGG's uppercut at the end of the first was class, Im starting to believe he has superhuman strength, there is no way an uppercut thrown stretched like that should have that much purchase on it. 
Id love to see him in with murray, Murray should be durable at least, failing that I'd like mora, at least that way I'd get the fight I was expecting last night.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 20 Oct 2014, 12:33 am

Agree that while Donaire has slipped recently, it's going slightly over the top to say he'd have definitely been too good for Walters had Nonito become a Featherweight three years ago rather than last year. Donaire just isn't a Featherweight regardless of where he was / is in his career for me, and again he looked a bit soft at 126 last night (in relative terms, of course) despite saying he'd dedicated himself in camp for this fight like never before, even after he'd been knocked out.

For instance, no version of Donaire would ever have been winning the jab exchanges against Walters for a start. That was also the case against Narvaez, Mathebula and Nishioka in fairness, but none of them came forward behind the shot with as much power and intent as Walters did and none were as big as him. Donaire beat the aforementioned guys with his power, but he wasn't having to retreat all the time against them or worry about the power coming back.

Donaire rocked Walters last night of course and if you align that natural power with a bit more speed from his younger days it's definitely not unreasonable to say he beats Walters once in three, but the way Walters physically over-powered and out-punched him last night means it'd take a big leap of faith in my opinion to ever make Donaire an outright favourite against him at 126.

I tend to think that Donaire hit his absolute peak at Bantamweight, with the Montiel and Sydorenko fights being two of his really consummate performances. In those fights you saw the dangerous puncher who turned out last night matched up with extra footwork, output and speed and who was even more formidable because he tended to have physical advantages over the guys he was fighting, too.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon 20 Oct 2014, 11:38 am

How good a match is Lomachenko vs Walters? That would be something.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3