The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stubhub Sponsor Matchroom Boxing Events

+16
md_fan
DuransHorse
Lance
catchweight
kingraf
Hammersmith harrier
JabMachineMK2
alanqlm
TopHat24/7
88Chris05
Pedro147
Dipper Brown
ONETWOFOREVER
hazharrison
TRUSSMAN66
Strongback
20 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Stubhub Sponsor Matchroom Boxing Events - Page 2 Empty Stubhub Sponsor Matchroom Boxing Events

Post by Strongback Tue 21 Oct 2014, 12:36 pm

First topic message reminder :

Anybody wondering what Matchroom are doing having a tout as a sponsor.

Did you buy your Wembley ticket to Froch v Groves from a tout and how much did you pay?

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Stubhub Sponsor Matchroom Boxing Events - Page 2 Empty Re: Stubhub Sponsor Matchroom Boxing Events

Post by Derbymanc Wed 22 Oct 2014, 11:54 am

So do Stubhub put a massive markup on their prices then or are the prices similar to tocketmaster?

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Stubhub Sponsor Matchroom Boxing Events - Page 2 Empty Re: Stubhub Sponsor Matchroom Boxing Events

Post by Strongback Wed 22 Oct 2014, 12:23 pm

Derbymanc wrote:So do Stubhub put a massive markup on their prices then or are the prices similar to tocketmaster?

Read online the prices Froch v Groves tickets were going for.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 22 Oct 2014, 12:24 pm

Strongback wrote:
Lance wrote:
Strongback wrote:Ticketmaster is different to Stubhub. One is a rip off booking agent and the other is a tout.

You seem very naive on the subject if you think that. Maybe you should do some research before making criticisms, even if you do hate Eddie.

Ticketmaster is a booking agent, only in the last few years did it add a tout arm to its organisation.  Stubhub is a tout that is getting into standard ticket booking.

I know exactly what Ticketmast have done since their inception.  I have bought countless tickets from them over many many years and have been pained by their booking fees and hidden charges.  Legitimizing the resale of tickets which now seem accepted is a disgrace and should be banned.

I can remember Pearl Jam taking on Ticketmaster in the 1990's for their ripping off of fans.

Eddie Hearn decides who he lies in bed with and how he does business.  I don't like it anymore that Springsteen, Rose or Vedder do.  
And I remember Pearl Jam bringing out a live CD for each date of a tour they'd done claiming that the fans might like to hear what the band sounded like on a different night...so f**k Pearl Jam and their "ethics"

Back to top Go down

Post by DuransHorse Wed 22 Oct 2014, 12:28 pm

Derbymanc wrote:So do Stubhub put a massive markup on their prices then or are the prices similar to tocketmaster?

At some point the prices are significantly higher but depending on demand they can fall to similar levels to original prices or lower to minimalize loses if they overestimate demand, price or quantity.

DuransHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by theanimal316 Wed 22 Oct 2014, 1:31 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
Strongback wrote:
Lance wrote:
Strongback wrote:Ticketmaster is different to Stubhub. One is a rip off booking agent and the other is a tout.

You seem very naive on the subject if you think that. Maybe you should do some research before making criticisms, even if you do hate Eddie.

Ticketmaster is a booking agent, only in the last few years did it add a tout arm to its organisation.  Stubhub is a tout that is getting into standard ticket booking.

I know exactly what Ticketmast have done since their inception.  I have bought countless tickets from them over many many years and have been pained by their booking fees and hidden charges.  Legitimizing the resale of tickets which now seem accepted is a disgrace and should be banned.

I can remember Pearl Jam taking on Ticketmaster in the 1990's for their ripping off of fans.

Eddie Hearn decides who he lies in bed with and how he does business.  I don't like it anymore that Springsteen, Rose or Vedder do.  
And I remember Pearl Jam bringing out a live CD for each date of a tour they'd done claiming that the fans might like to hear what the band sounded like on a different night...so f**k Pearl Jam and their "ethics"

How dare you Smile !! Best band ever

Last edited by theanimal316 on Wed 22 Oct 2014, 1:32 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : being a spelling idiot)

theanimal316

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 22 Oct 2014, 1:38 pm

theanimal316 wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:
Strongback wrote:
Lance wrote:

How dare you Smile !! Best band ever
I'm a fan of their first two albums but this idea of "giving something to the fans" and then expecting them to shell out over the odds for it isn't a new phenomenon...neither is the hypocrisy (or hippocracy if you prefer) of artists, managers, promoters and let's be honest, of fans as well.

The upshot is, go if you want to go, stay at home if you don't.

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Wed 22 Oct 2014, 1:50 pm

Cheers Durans, so it's a bit like supply and demand then. Must admit any 'legit' ticket seller should not be selling them way over the odds and ticket providers (no matter who they are) shouldn't be associating themselves with them at all. (It is touting after all.)

@Strongy,
I know some of the prices for Froch/Groves were high but didn't know if Stubhub were involved. If they were then it's crap, but if not then it's another of your excuses to try and paint Mr Hearn as the devil Wink

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Wed 22 Oct 2014, 1:52 pm

A lot of people don't get the choice to go as its too expensive. Its part of the reason there are less and less young people at football matches and events these days.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 22 Oct 2014, 1:54 pm

Strongback wrote:A lot of people don't get the choice to go as its too expensive.  Its part of the reason there are less and less young people at football matches and events these days.
Yeah man....Glastonbury is regularly sponsored by SAGA isn't it....pratt!

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Wed 22 Oct 2014, 1:57 pm

Derbymanc wrote:Cheers Durans, so it's a bit like supply and demand then. Must admit any 'legit' ticket seller should not be selling them way over the odds and ticket providers (no matter who they are) shouldn't be associating themselves with them at all. (It is touting after all.)

@Strongy,
I know some of the prices for Froch/Groves were high but didn't know if Stubhub were involved. If they were then it's crap, but if not then it's another of your excuses to try and paint Mr Hearn as the devil Wink

I never said Hearn was in cahoots with Stubhub, we can only go by what we know happened.

The facts are that Stubhub had an awful lot of tickets for the Groves v Froch fight that were sold at two and three times over the face value. Now we see Stubhub are sponsoring Matchroom Events and Matchroom fighters. Its as simple as that.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Wed 22 Oct 2014, 2:02 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
Strongback wrote:A lot of people don't get the choice to go as its too expensive.  Its part of the reason there are less and less young people at football matches and events these days.

Glastonbury has a fair ticket policy and fights as hard as anybody to keep touts out through the requirement for photo ID etc. They also have a lottery system so everybody who applies gets a fair crack at getting a ticket as opposed to competing with high tech touts hoovering us as many tickets as they can.

Glastonbury just isn't any type of comparison to Stubhub or Matchroom. Another fail from you little 'un.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by DuransHorse Wed 22 Oct 2014, 2:10 pm

Derbymanc wrote:Cheers Durans, so it's a bit like supply and demand then. Must admit any 'legit' ticket seller should not be selling them way over the odds and ticket providers (no matter who they are) shouldn't be associating themselves with them at all. (It is touting after all.)

@Strongy,

Got to agree and from a customers perspective it boils my p*!s as many a time I've gone to buy a ticket, find they're sold out from the main vendor only to find loads on touting websites for a shed load more £. It is unethical but the tout does take a small degree of risk. As Milky summed up though, why would the promoters care when they are selling their tickets?

DuransHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 22 Oct 2014, 2:15 pm

Strongback wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:

Glastonbury has a fair ticket policy and fights as hard as anybody to keep touts out through the requirement for photo ID etc.  They also have a lottery system so everybody who applies gets a fair crack at getting a ticket as opposed to competing with high tech touts hoovering us as many tickets as they can.  

Glastonbury just isn't any type of comparison to Stubhub or Matchroom.  Another fail from you little 'un.
Glastonbury used to be about £40 and over the years the prices rocketed yet people still went...at no point did the touts get involved to warrant such massive price hikes and yet YOUNG people still went and will continue to go. The point being, that if young people want to go, they will and, as you'll see clearly, price is no object to them doing so. Touts or not, if people want to pay to see an event badly enough they will.

It kills you that Hearn sold out Wembley when you almost converted to Islam such was your desire to pray repeatedly that he'd fail. You'll try anything to discredit him and now your resorting to suggesting touting is stopping young people from going to certain events.

The reason people stop going to football matches is because they don't want to see a bunch of overpaid prima donnas phoning it in on a rainy Saturday afternoon. Irrespective of price, people just want VALUE FOR MONEY (although some idiots demand the world on a stick and are generally disappointed when they don't get it) so your suggestion that Hearn getting into bed with the touts will be the death knell for boxing is clearly drivel as evidenced by Froch/Groves II

Another STRONGY fail but when it's about Eddie, it's generally going to be a fail isn't it, you bitter little lemon?

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Wed 22 Oct 2014, 2:19 pm

On one hand I agree with you Strongy but on the other it does look like the way forward and it would look a lot better if you were using this as a way to shout about touts but it seems like it's another reason to try and have a go at matchroom/Hearn.

As for the issue of touts itself, until people stop paying the money then it will continue to happen. The business's and promoters will continue to use places like Stubhub though as they're getting a cut of the touts money whereas with the touts on the corner, they ain't.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 22 Oct 2014, 2:21 pm

DuransHorse wrote:

@Strongy,

Got to agree and from a customers perspective it boils my p*!s as many a time I've gone to buy a ticket, find they're sold out from the main vendor only to find loads on touting websites for a shed load more £.  It is unethical but the tout does take a small degree of risk.  As Milky summed up though, why would the promoters care when they are selling their tickets?
Just bought my ticket for DAMNATION FESTIVAL in Leeds next month. Via the official website, I tried to buy a ticket (£36 with a £3.50 booking fee). Couldn't do it through the official website so bought it through LeedsTickets.com (£36 with a £2.50 booking fee). Never seen anyone trying to sell them for ridiculous amounts of dosh but if people are stupid enough to pay over the odds then more fool them.

Reminds me of those dippy c*nts who were paying £2k to see the reformed Led Zep or Stones or whoever the f**k it was. People are stupid and as they say, "A fool and his money are soon parted" or "Never give a sucker an even break"

Back to top Go down

Post by DuransHorse Wed 22 Oct 2014, 2:27 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
DuransHorse wrote:

@Strongy,

Got to agree and from a customers perspective it boils my p*!s as many a time I've gone to buy a ticket, find they're sold out from the main vendor only to find loads on touting websites for a shed load more £.  It is unethical but the tout does take a small degree of risk.  As Milky summed up though, why would the promoters care when they are selling their tickets?
Just bought my ticket for DAMNATION FESTIVAL in Leeds next month. Via the official website, I tried to buy a ticket (£36 with a £3.50 booking fee). Couldn't do it through the official website so bought it through LeedsTickets.com (£36 with a £2.50 booking fee). Never seen anyone trying to sell them for ridiculous amounts of dosh but if people are stupid enough to pay over the odds then more fool them.

Reminds me of those dippy c*nts who were paying £2k to see the reformed Led Zep or Stones or whoever the f**k it was. People are stupid and as they say, "A fool and his money are soon parted" or "Never give a sucker an even break"

To make it clear I have never bought of a tout Dave. No idea about LeedsTickets.com but they may even be an official vendor for all I know.

If you want to see people selling them for ridiculous money you can even go on ebay and see the amateurs having a go at mirroring what they see the tout websites selling them for. Froch V Groves I got in early and was in the £40 seats but my mate was looking at getting an extra ticket after they had "sold out" and the prices he was seeing really were astronomical. 4x the original value at guess. Can't say what they sold for though.

DuransHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 22 Oct 2014, 2:33 pm

Sometimes it becomes a point of principle. I've never bought off a tout, and I'd have to be pretty desperate to see something to pay over face value. The feeling of being ripped off would over-shadow the enjoyment. But then I am a tightwad. Very Happy

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 22 Oct 2014, 2:36 pm

milkyboy wrote:Sometimes it becomes a point of principle. I've never bought off a tout, and I'd have to be pretty desperate to see something to pay over face value. The feeling of being ripped off would over-shadow the enjoyment. But then I am a tightwad. Very Happy
Me too Milky...I'm getting 20+ bands for less than £2 apiece so if they're cack, I can't really complain.

Back to top Go down

Post by alanqlm Wed 22 Oct 2014, 2:48 pm

DuransHorse wrote:To make it clear I have never bought of a tout Dave.  No idea about LeedsTickets.com but they may even be an official vendor for all I know.

If you want to see people selling them for ridiculous money you can even go on ebay and see the amateurs having a go at mirroring what they see the tout websites selling them for.  Froch V Groves I got in early and was in the £40 seats but my mate was looking at getting an extra ticket after they had "sold out" and the prices he was seeing really were astronomical. 4x the original value at guess.  Can't say what they sold for though.

Me and the other half had £100 tickets to Froch/Groves 2 and on the way to the stadium had people offering me £400 a pop for them without even knowing which section I was sitting in. The fact that I had travelled from Northern Ireland and paid for a hotel etc to make the flight was the only reason I didn't take them up on the offer.

So if people are stupid enough to offer what could possibly of been 10x face value then is it any wonder people are going to take advantage of them.

alanqlm

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 22 Oct 2014, 2:50 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
milkyboy wrote:Sometimes it becomes a point of principle. I've never bought off a tout, and I'd have to be pretty desperate to see something to pay over face value. The feeling of being ripped off would over-shadow the enjoyment. But then I am a tightwad. Very Happy
Me too Milky...I'm getting 20+ bands for less than £2 apiece so if they're cack, I can't really complain.

I bet you will

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 22 Oct 2014, 2:53 pm

milkyboy wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:

I bet you will
There's every possibility I will ("Call that a blast beat, you c*nt!!!!!!!!!!)

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 22 Oct 2014, 2:54 pm

alanqlm wrote:
DuransHorse wrote:To make it clear I have never bought of a tout Dave.  No idea about LeedsTickets.com but they may even be an official vendor for all I know.

If you want to see people selling them for ridiculous money you can even go on ebay and see the amateurs having a go at mirroring what they see the tout websites selling them for.  Froch V Groves I got in early and was in the £40 seats but my mate was looking at getting an extra ticket after they had "sold out" and the prices he was seeing really were astronomical. 4x the original value at guess.  Can't say what they sold for though.

Me and the other half had £100 tickets to Froch/Groves 2 and on the way to the stadium had people offering me £400 a pop for them without even knowing which section I was sitting in. The fact that I had travelled from Northern Ireland and paid for a hotel etc to make the flight was the only reason I didn't take them up on the offer.

So if people are stupid enough to offer what could possibly of been 10x face value then is it any wonder people are going to take advantage of them.

Just goes to show what a saint Eddie is. He could be charging £400 for cleverley bellew, and £50 ppv... But he's a man of the people and puts the fans before his own well being.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 22 Oct 2014, 2:57 pm

milkyboy wrote:
alanqlm wrote:

Just goes to show what a saint Eddie is. He could be charging £400 for cleverley bellew, and £50 ppv... But he's a man of the people and puts the fans before his own well being.
Good point well made...be nice to hear him say "Well, silly ****s are willing to pay silly money and I should fleece the f*cking lot of them, but I won't cos I have a duty to protect the less fortunate and incredibly stupid!"

Back to top Go down

Post by DuransHorse Wed 22 Oct 2014, 3:15 pm

alanqlm wrote:

That is an impressive offer. If I had been offered the same deal I would have just sold wifes and had a better time and more cash. It's a win win!

DuransHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 22 Oct 2014, 3:19 pm

DuransHorse wrote:
alanqlm wrote:

That is an impressive offer.  If I had been offered the same deal I would have just sold my wife and had a better time and more cash.  It's a win win!
Fixed that for ya!

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 22 Oct 2014, 3:33 pm

I was offered a camel for my wife once in Egypt. I'd have taken it, but I don't smoke.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by DuransHorse Wed 22 Oct 2014, 3:34 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
DuransHorse wrote:
alanqlm wrote:

That is an impressive offer.  If I had been offered the same deal I would have just sold my wife and had a better time and more cash.  It's a win win!
Fixed that for ya!

I would definitely need to stipulate there was a no return or refunds policy.

DuransHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 22 Oct 2014, 3:47 pm

DuransHorse wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:
DuransHorse wrote:
alanqlm wrote:

Fixed that for ya!

Would you mention that goods were shop soiled?

Back to top Go down

Post by DuransHorse Wed 22 Oct 2014, 3:57 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
DuransHorse wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:
DuransHorse wrote:
alanqlm wrote:

Fixed that for ya!

Would you mention that goods were shop soiled?
I was making the presumption that the mug I was selling to wasn't carrying a while stick whilst accompanied by a golden lab wearing a florescent yellow jacket.

DuransHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 22 Oct 2014, 4:09 pm

Whenever I try and sell my wife on ebay, the appearance of the goods isn't a problem, it's the number of previous owners.

I'm like a less amusing version of les Dawson on this thread, an unlikely achievement... Time to move on

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Wed 22 Oct 2014, 4:25 pm

Strongback - please summarise the negative points of being associated with Stubhub. Explain like I'm 5.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 22 Oct 2014, 4:34 pm

Eddie is a very naughty man who shouldn't get sweets or treats because he isn't a good person and not very nice and makes STRONGY wet the bed because STRONGY thinks he's a scary monster

Back to top Go down

Post by DuransHorse Wed 22 Oct 2014, 5:13 pm

JabMachineMK2 wrote:Strongback - please summarise the negative points of being associated with Stubhub. Explain like I'm 5.

I think there is a place for sites like StubHub JM but I'll side with Strongy and say that it would be nice if event organisers didn't allow unnecessary bulk buying of tickets knowing they are going to be sold by people/companies that have no ambition or interest other than just making money from money. If you buy a ticket or two but find you can't attend an event then StubHub is great. The problem is an abuse of the system and it's not something that Eddie himself should be singled out for.

DuransHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Wed 22 Oct 2014, 5:38 pm

The point is being missed. Ticketmaster only exists now in name, it is actually owned by Live Nation. Live Nation owns the monopoly on all big live events. If you want to put on a show at a stadium and promote it nationally somewhere along the line you are going to end up working with Live Nation agents. Promoters have no chance to shop around and punters can be ripped off at their choice.

If Live Nation are happy for Stubhub and their like to buy the tickets up there is nothing that a promoter like Hearn can do. If anything his best chance is to help promote sites like Stubhub and allow them to rival Live Nation.

Maybe Hearn is thinking of us fans long term here?

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 22 Oct 2014, 6:01 pm

Whilst I hold touts in absolute contempt, I would also have to ask do people genuinely struggle to get tickets if they have a genuine desire to be there? I attend a reasonable amount of fights and once I have decided I am going I tend to get tickets. I got them for the first Froch Groves and Hatton Mayweather in Vegas, both without the need of a tout. Similarly when the Stone Roses reformed I got tickets, and for the night I wanted, without the need of a tout. If you want them badly enough you will make necessary arrangements to make sure that is feasible.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Wed 22 Oct 2014, 6:02 pm

My understanding was that there was actually a law against buying bulk amounts of tickets (superflyweight help me out here) which directly affected the consumer.

Plus these tickets are bought with the sole purpose of resale - if you don't feel able to afford something, don't buy it. Watch it on TV.

Plus with Strongbacks multi-millions I thought he'd appreciate a fellow businessman trying to make some money.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by DuransHorse Wed 22 Oct 2014, 6:14 pm

Lance wrote:The point is being missed. Ticketmaster only exists now in name, it is actually owned by Live Nation. Live Nation owns the monopoly on all big live events. If you want to put on a show at a stadium and promote it nationally somewhere along the line you are going to end up working with Live Nation agents. Promoters have no chance to shop around and punters can be ripped off at their choice.

If Live Nation are happy for Stubhub and their like to buy the tickets up there is nothing that a promoter like Hearn can do. If anything his best chance is to help promote sites like Stubhub and allow them to rival Live Nation.

Maybe Hearn is thinking of us fans long term here?

A company selling tickets for profit, even a monopoly, isn't the issue. Say I inherit 20 million quid tomorrow and I decide that I want to go into ticket selling. I approach Eddie with an offer for his next card but Eddie declines and goes with TicketMaster instead, they can do it for less so why wouldn't he? I then set up my own on line company, get agents ready to buy as many tickets as they can off TicketMaster as soon as they go on sale knowing that people want the tickets, only when I sell them I intend to mark the prices up to double. What value have I added to the service?

Tickets for events like boxing or football aren't like other goods as arenas and stadiums only hold a certain number of seats and each show is distinctly different, you can't just produce more with supple and demand. If you really want to go and you tried to get a ticket at the time the chances are you couldn't get through because a tout was hogging the line with the express purpose of increasing your costs further. That is somewhat aggravating.

This isn't an Eddie problem, it's just a problem. I agree there should be more competition to drive prices down but mass scale touting isn't the answer.

DuransHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Wed 22 Oct 2014, 6:33 pm

It's not always possible to get a ticket from Ticketmaster even if you are online waiting for the tickets to go live. So many big companies use bots to hoover up tickets it often leaves genuine fans left out for the big events.

I have bought tickets on eBay and from classified ads, always from a regular punter who couldn't go to the event for some reason. I have never had to pay more than face value.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Wed 22 Oct 2014, 7:17 pm

Does it really leave genuine fans left out when so many are still willing to pay over the odds?

These companies only exist because there is a market of genuine fans to sell them to, it is idiotic fans who make it possible.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2