The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Invasion - Could they do it again and could they make it work?

3 posters

Go down

The Invasion - Could they do it again and could they make it work? Empty The Invasion - Could they do it again and could they make it work?

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:45 pm

I was reading some standard out there fantasy booking ideas and saw that a lot of people wanted NXT to make itself known by more than just easing one star at a time onto the main roster. The specific idea had NXT "invading" Survivor Series. This involved Charlotte vs AJ, The Ascension vs the Dust bros and a NXT vs WWE 5 on 5 tag. The logistics of it are fanciful in more ways than one, but is there a chance for WWE to right the wrongs of the old Invasion angle of the early noughties?

Many things held that story back and stopped its success. WWF's invaders lacked the real star lustre of what could have been huge names, instead giving us more second tier stars than main event WCW players. Booker T and DDP were not the massive names that were going to make waves. Then the ECW stars came through to muddy the water further.

Add to that that there was obvious fears of putting these wrestlers over WWF talent properly as to not weaken their own name, the idea was solid but never invested in properly. The story got further diluted by Austin's off and on relationship with WWF and his allegiance to the other side for no real reason if you ask me.

There was an exciting and solid base to this, and even though mistakes were made it was interesting. Could it be done again, but done well?

What would WWE need to do to get it right?

I like some of the ideas. The Ascension taking the titles coming up from NXT would be a nice start. Initial problem would be who the hell are you meant to WANT to win. The Dusts are heels. Even if you put a face team in, why would you have any allegiance to current WWE stars? Especially in more modern crowds who won't cheer who you tell them to. This is magnetised further with something like a bad blood feud. If they were to do a 5v5 match, you have to have a reason to really care who wins. Superiority just by winning doesn't sell much any more, whether that is just the nature of smarter audiences or because WWE (and wrestling as a whole, I think) has almost devalued winning.

Also, do you make current heels side with WWE or are they likely to waiver and "choose" the invaders? Or even be indifferent. I quite like the rare scenarios when faces and heels have to work together, its an interesting dynamic, but you have to make it work. Rusev should feel no desire to shake hands with Mark Henry for the good of the company.

What would be interesting would be crowd reactions. Do these fans, who will cheer their indie darlings, want Devitt to win? Want Zayn to win? Or will WWE be able to create a dynamic where someone like Lesnar, so clearly popular but a genuine heel currently, would suddenly get the crowd support as the reigning champ facing his invading foe. I think WWE could get it right, and I think WWE fans would be happy to cheer Lesnar cos hes so damn cool, but they would have to book it well.

They would also have to choose the right NXT talent. There are some obvious names who want and will soon need to step up. The Ascension, Zayn, Neville and Breeze are on the brink. Names like Devitt, Steen and KENTA (all of whom have different WWE names) could pull off a feud without having NXT development time. They would also need a very good spearhead. Funnily enough, Wyatt would be a decent option, the problem being his gimmick is very specific on the cult leader thing and most of these wrestlers would be rebels not disciples.

Someone doing very decent, albeit old school, heel work who has a gimmick that suits having a gripe with WWE top brass is Tyson Kidd. But he isnt a leader. Similarly, whilst a lot of them are very talented, physically they all lack a little bit of mass that makes you think they should be standing face to face with Lesnar. Wyatt could pull it off, and I think Steen could easily be built to look like the badass who would throw caution to the wind and try and take the Champion.

I think you would have to play it so there was still heel and face division in the main roster. HHH would rally the troops, but they would be forced into fighting for WWE. Ambrose would remain a face, but he would lose his slot in the Royal Rumble if he lost to Tyler Breeze. But Rollins is still a heel and the fans would want him to lose his MITB briefcase to Sami Zayn. I'd be putting the belts on the Usos again before The Ascension come up, but have them lose almost immediately with little initial fanfare to The Ascension, make it cold and unexpected.

I appreciate this is rambly, but my first PPV card, my Survivor Series card (because something has to be done to make Survivor Series interesting):

Charlotte vs AJ for the Divas Title
The Ascension vs the Usos for the Tag Titles
Ambrose vs Breeze (Royal Rumble slot)
Sheamus vs Devitt (Finn Balor) US TITLE
Rollins vs Zayn (for the MITB briefcase)
Kidd, KENTA, Neville, Kalisto + Sin Cara vs Ziggler, Orton, Jericho, Big Show and Mark Henry (Survivors get to choose Rumble entry number)
Cena vs Steen #1 Contender

The crux of this isn't actually about the fantasy booking...it ain't gonna happen. I was more interested in whether it COULD be an angle and what WWE would have to do to get it right this time. Over to you

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

The Invasion - Could they do it again and could they make it work? Empty Re: The Invasion - Could they do it again and could they make it work?

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:50 pm

For what its worth id have AJ win, Ascension win, Ambrose win, Sheamus win, Rollins win, Team NXT win and then JBL cost Cena cos hes NXT Commissioner and could also do with deciding hes an actual heel commentator

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

The Invasion - Could they do it again and could they make it work? Empty Re: The Invasion - Could they do it again and could they make it work?

Post by Adam D Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:04 am

Rumour about RAW next week:

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:32 am

Adam D wrote:
Rumour about RAW next week:

Spoiler:

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down