The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TNA Tag Tourney best way to showcase roster?

4 posters

Go down

TNA Tag Tourney best way to showcase roster? Empty TNA Tag Tourney best way to showcase roster?

Post by talkingpoint Sat 25 Oct 2014, 4:11 am

We`ve said before that TNA`s roster is now too big for just one 2 hour show a week. The new tag tournament has put together some good teams and has given certain wrestlers, who are currently in booking purgatory, screen time. It also shines a spot light on the tag titles and the current champions the Wolves. TNA has occasionally dropped the ball with the tag titles but generally I think they have always respected them and do a good job of making them feel prestigious. It also gives the Wolves some momentum coming off of the tag title series, which is a good thing. But going back to the roster it is a simple yet effective way of giving most of the mid to lower card wrestlers screen time.

However, could TNA do something different to showcase their current talent? Could they use that time more effectively?

Thoughts?

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

TNA Tag Tourney best way to showcase roster? Empty Re: TNA Tag Tourney best way to showcase roster?

Post by talkingpoint Sat 25 Oct 2014, 11:03 am

So I`ve been thinking and here a few suggestions:

Have more lumberjack matches where the lumberjack mid-carders get to have some spots to put themselves over.

more tournaments - though this means sacrificing more story-lines.

More individual youtube channels that are plugged both on the impact wrestling website and during impact! episodes. Whoever gets the most hits or highest ratings gets booked more frequently.

Fan polls - TNA could run a poll a couple of weeks before taping the episode and have fans decide stipulations on matches. I know TNA tried polls before and abandoned them but it could work to give the mid-carders more opportunities to impress the fans.

Extended editions of TV specials such as Destination X and Hardcore Justice. Have the former PPVs 3 hour specials and do a deal with the TV network to rearrange their other programming  for that night to give TNA the extra hour. This way there`s more time for the under-card and you can put more matches into the one show.

impact wrestling.com dark matches - like they do in MMA where they give the prelim bouts away for free before a PPV, stream a few dark matches on impactwrestling.com before impact! airs. They could show them an hour or so before impact airs on TV as if they were live. That way fans would get to see more of them and slowly you could work them into story-lines on the show.

More battle royals - the upside is they are an easy way to give everyone on the roster their 15 minutes (or more realistically 5 minutes) of fame. The downside is that it would lose its effect if overdone.

Of course they could always just plagiarise WWE gimmicks like the Royal Rumble or MITB but that would make them look even more like WWE lite which is not something I think they really want or the fans would embrace.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

TNA Tag Tourney best way to showcase roster? Empty Re: TNA Tag Tourney best way to showcase roster?

Post by Samo Sat 25 Oct 2014, 2:21 pm

The big difference here between TNA and WWE is TNA can afford to use these types of matches to expose talent because they're not trying to fill 6-7 hours of TV a week without over exposure.

Title tournaments or No 1 contender tournaments are a great way to not only expose talent, but build a bit of prestige to the titles. To see 8 tag teams compete for the titles or the chance to fight the Wolves for the titles is a great way to get some teams over, and opens up tons of possibilities for matches and stories.

Certainly an avenue TNA should explore in the future, but dont over do it.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sat 25 Oct 2014, 3:20 pm

The only problem is that things do feel cheap when teams suddenly appear for a tournament but really never get used for much else. It feels forced

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Sat 25 Oct 2014, 4:31 pm

True, but TNA do a good job of creating teams with chemistry. Look at Joe & Magnus who'd have thought that partnership would work?! Right now TNA do have a strong tag team division:

the Wolves
the Hardys
Bram & Magnus
MVP & Kenny King
The Bromans (Jessie & Zema Ion)
EC3 & Tyrus

The team of Joe & Low Ki was a good pairing and I think they'd actually make a really good team after Joe moves on from the X-Division title.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Mon 27 Oct 2014, 1:07 pm

True - most of those are solid pairings, but for starters I don't think EC3 and Tyrus are going to be a long-term thing.

I also don't see Joe & Low Ki staying together long. For one thing Ki has already stated his aim to be the X Division title holder and TNA probably have other plans for Joe.

Plus there were ad-hoc teams like Anderson - Melendez and Gunner - Shaw (which made more sense, but was ended before it could get going).

While I wholeheartedly agree TNA's tag team scene could do with a boost, I feel they need to create teams more naturally, rather than just throw together whoever's available at the time.

I'd also say negotiating extra TV slots and creating support shows to Impact and the PPVs should be the overall aim.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down