Hell in a Handbasket 2014

Go down

Hell in a Handbasket 2014

Post by Dolphin Ziggler on Sat 25 Oct 2014, 6:56 pm

Mizdow TV with special guest The Miz - Damien Mizdow may have been part of a once worrying trend for Sandow, but hes got himself hugely over. In times gone by, and you'll have to forgive my naivety as I am only a young man, would people have been worried early in Angle's career that he was just a comedy tool? The problem likely for Sandow being that Angle had a huge ceiling of potential to hit, whereas Sandow (and there's no shame in this) is not going to match up to the Olympic Gold Medallist.

Ziggler (c) vs Cesaro - 2 out of 3 falls match for the Intercontinental Title - Great move by WWE to have these two go out and put on a show for the fans. We all know the way 2 out of 3 falls matches work, but that doesnt mean these two can't use their extended time to put on a barnstormer of a bout. NXT fans will know Cesaro has put on a fantastic match in this area already in his WWE career; the match with Zayn a real highlight. Ziggler won't have the underdog momentum to add to the story, but he is over and he will sell the intensity of the match. It also points to WWE understanding that their live crowd will enjoy seeing these two have a real run for their money.

Who should win? - Not the easiest of questions. Dolph is doing well with the belt only in that his defences and his place on the card are consistently providing entertaining matches. WWE have, as ever, fallen into their usual trap of having the title holder lose plenty of non-title matches. On "yesterday's" episode of Smackdown Ziggler defended the title against Cesaro. So, the best course of action was to give Cesaro a shot at the title on PPV. You wonder where the loser will go after this feud ends, both would likely drift in an awkward position. But because Ziggler is one of WWE's few over faces and because he has been entertaining in the ring with the belt, I feel he should keep it and take on all comers, get some real momentum behind his reign and let WWE throw him in with a variety of opponents.

The Usos vs Gold and Stardust (c) - Tag Titles - It does seem strange that after building the tag division up and having the Usos really shine, its come to a point where there are only about two real tag teams left. Even worse is that they had built a big feud with the Wyatt family, Harper and Rowan, yet blew their title loss on the Golden Rhodes'. At this point the fans will enjoy seeing all four men in action, not really invested in booing the heel team as Goldust and Stardust remain popular. In that respect, the Usos have lost a bit of their appeal because they are up against a team just as likeable, even if they were forced to turn heel. Cody Rhodes remains popular.

Who should win? - It almost doesnt matter. The tag division will soon be a team stronger with Rybaxel returning, and if anything makes you feel depressed it should be that Ryback and Axel are considered a team to strengthen the division. They are fiiiiine, but thats about it. Really the division is just waiting for the Ascension, but I'm not sure how soon they will debut. We know NXT film in advance, but there seems a likely Ascension vs Itami/Balor match being set up for the NXT PPV in December. Should the Ascension be coming up to knockdown a team like Dust and brother? The Usos should have the belts for the eventual promotion of the dominant NXT tag team, but for now maybe the Dusts should keep the titles just to see where they can go with them in the meantime.

Nikki vs Brie Bella
- Singles match; the loser must become the winner's personal assistant for one month; if the loser does not comply, they will be forced to quit WWE - Lets all just hope the loser doesn't comply. And that the loser is both of them. But the real loser will be television and it's illustrious history.

Who should win? - I don't know or care. Nikki? Now she's get them balloons on her I find her attractive in a slutty way so she might as well win.

Sheamus (c) vs The Miz - US Title match - Sheamus is a decent enough champ. Not in character, which hasn't progressed in a long time (although the jokes are less and less, fella), but he brings a certain feeling of importance to some extent, we know he's regarded reasonably highly by WWE and he could probably be forced into the main event and it wouldn't feel too awkward. He's got standing, and as such it brings something to the belt. But all of his feuds as champion, whilst fine in the ring, have been lazy in the story. This is the same here. The Miz got a title shot because he couldnt win the intercontinental title (basically). Mizdow is the best part of all of this and would be the only reason Miz wins.

Who should win? - Sheamus should win. Not because of his entertainment value, but because Miz will only bring a Mizdow feud to the table for the belt. There will be no interest after that feud, probably not in either man. Whereas Sheamus is definitely a big name for someone to knock off to take the title. I don't think The Miz gains much from beating Sheamus, but there are superstars who will. For me, Rusev should be building up to beat Sheamus and take the US Title. Rusev vs Sheamus will be good. Sheamus probably puts on the best big man matches. He doesnt get the credit he deserves, but looking back on matches with Big Show in the past, Cesaro recently, its clear Sheamus delivers when its a musclebound fight and not a technical masterpiece. For the value of that possible future feud, Sheamus should keep the title.

AJ Lee (c) vs Paige - Divas title - The neverending feud that you can't really blame WWE for carrying on. The alternative is the Bellas, who only deserve to exist because of silicon. The E have tried to make it slightly different by making Alicia Fox BFFs with Casper, but AJ Lee keeps coming out on top. Paige and AJ are pretty much the only two Divas worth watching on the main roster, so what do you do when the feud ends?

Who should win? - The match that is made for AJ Lee is probably a few months in the making yet, but its clear Mrs Punk vs Mrs McMahon-Helmsley is what the fans want to see. AJ Lee carries the division, she is the only one who can talk into a microphone, and she deserves better opponents. There are a few NXT Divas who will one day be good opposite her, whilst a proper feud with Natalya might at least bring some good ring work from the group (AJ, Paige and Natty), whilst Emma would probably get a decent babyface reaction against Paige. I haven't answered the question, but I think AJ should hold the title on the virtue that she is the best woman in the business. Her TNA counterparts may be slightly better in the ring, but not enough that it compares to AJ's popularity, charisma and mic work.

Rusev vs Big Show - The old fashioned Rusev is doing a quite perfect job in his role currently, even down to the little things like taking the fight to Henry and Big Show as they cornered him 2v1. Big Show's standing in the company has meant that WWE have had to put him over strong ahead of the match, letting him stand over Rusev KO'd figure a couple times. But that is surely just a precursor to defeat, Rusev is a project of WWE and the payoff is surely not for the 42 year old giant. He is a name for Rusev to go over, enough value to mean something to some fans, but not enough that if Rusev fails it'll really matter that he beat the Big Show.

Who should win? - Well, it's obvious from the above; Rusev is one of the most obvious picks for WWE tonight. A lot of these matches could go either way and no one would care too much (except Hero). But Rusev has been booked in a dominant fashion for a reason and should remain in that state. He may have no value after his first real defeat, his first submission or pinfall defeat. They will hope he can go beyond just his unbeatable foreigner schtick, but in all likelihood he won't. He is an interesting character, more so than most people probably thought when he first entered the fray. The throwback story is interesting and probably has legs still, especially whilst the Americans eat it up in the national furore of stupidity. Rusev has better men to beat and even stronger men who are candidates to finally topple him. The World's most tearful athlete is a stepping stone.

Cena vs Orton - Hell in a Cell - Best Loser gets a #1 Contender shot at Brock - As both of these men are not good enough to be in the most interesting match of the night, they get to compete to be in the main event of a different PPV. Logic? What's logic? I can't complain too loud because Cena/Orton MCXVII (I have no idea what that means - maybe 1117?) is now far more interesting than it should be because of the stip. Its even more interesting because of the transformation of Orton's character and the outside chance that Cena will lose and Orton will give us a fresh main event match up of two men working at their absolute peak. It could also give us the return of "face" Orton; too soon for my liking but still an interesting development. The key for this one is making sure it doesnt go too long. Main event? Not for me, but you can see why WWE would lean that way (they are bellends, and a Mr Winklechops leans the same way all its life.) I do feel for Cena, he is pretty obsolete in the interest stakes for this match and its not his fault. His story for a month has not really involved Orton, he has lost the chase for Rollins and fans are not desperate to see him against Lesnar again.

Who should win? - If one of them is to win, it should be Orton. But I think the story could well be about how the winners gets the victory. If Rollins costs Orton, then we have more fuel to the Orton face turn and a feud with Seth. If Lesnar comes out, well its an appearance so $$$ Brock, but the crowd will pop for it and it would likely save the match from flopping. Anyone else would have to be of real magnitude for the fans to care. I'd prefer to see Orton vs Lesnar. Most people want the fresh lineup and the two men understand their characters and their ringwork as good as anyone in the WWE right now. I think Orton could remain heel for the feud, Lesnar being a weird sort of heel who fans boo because they know they should, all the while genuinely loving his work (weirdly traditional values seem to stand for Lesnar) and the excitement of a fresh pairing might actually get some of the crowd in Orton's favour too. Could he be HHH's last hope to claim the title away from Mr Part Time? All this before Rollins reminds Hunter that he has the briefcase? Maybe then Orton can go for Rollins. The entertainment value says Orton progresses, the part of my brain that works says Cena wins cos thats what happens.

Ambrose vs Rollins - Hell in a Cell - Could we finally have the payoff to arguably WWE's best feud of the year, or at the very least the best feud since WrestleMania. But then the Lesnar Cena feud produced that magic match so...Regardless, the bad blood has been boiling for months and finally the pair are locked together inside the demonic structure. What better place to settle their issues? Foley's words on Raw this week were perfect; Rollins would win normal matches maybe, but Ambrose is sick and twisted enough to endure the Hell. The two produced arguably the best ever Lumberjack match, so they should be able to cross the tricky path of PG Hell in a Cell. WWE may not put this on last, and they may pretend that by being second on from the end that its a double main event, but this match is the one the fans are paying for. And rightly so, there is a true heel, a likeable face, reason to cheer the downfall of the heel and reason to boo his possible victory. Both men are popular for their work before and in this current role.

Who should win? - Now there's a question. Both men could probably endure defeat. And if this is the payoff, and by all means a Cell match should be, then you would argue that the face should finally go over. It would seem too that WWE has no problem letting its MITB briefcase holder lose his first real feud after the ladder match victory. But both have futures ahead of them that call for a major feud win at this moment in time. Neither have got that big win yet in their singles run and both have got good momentum going. So, the question is, who has the momentum most valuable to WWE? Lesnar is ultimately the top heel to be defeated, even over The Authority. His title loss will feel big. So Rollins is likely not going to push into a top heel role. He is probably, by the time Mania comes around, at best going to be third behind Lesnar and HHH. But Ambrose is unlikely to break the barrier as the top face, even with the reactions he is getting. The Rock has a place, although his role will be so part-time that it barely counts, but Cena, Bryan and Reigns will all be in the mix whatever happens. Arguably, potential means he has one over Cena and reaction puts him ahead of Reigns. Bryan's injury means he is a doubt, but is Ambrose a man WWE wants to push?

This one really is a tough call. The fans will eat up an Ambrose win and for that the PPV will have a more positive finish, which often adds a star or two to its ratings in the eyes of some. If the fans are happy then who can complain? But WWE feels more invested in Rollins than a few of its past Mr Money in the Bank briefcase holders. I don't think they want to weaken him too much, he is being moulded into a top heel. His position seems more likely to improve in WWE than Ambrose. A screwy finish is not out of the question, but WWE revert to them so often. I think the best option is an Ambrose win in the Cell, playing to his character, and then a rematch at TLC for the Briefcase that Rollins wins. Level pegging on the bigger matches, although Rollins does have the lumberjack match. Ambrose for now.

What do my 606v2 brethren think should happen?

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Re: Hell in a Handbasket 2014

Post by Samo on Sat 25 Oct 2014, 7:30 pm

To paraphrase JR, Sandow is turning chicken Poopie into chicken salad.

Cesaro vs Ziggler has the potential to be match of the night. And with a 2/3 falls stipulation we should get a good 15-20 minute match. Seriously looking forward to this, and based on ring ability alone this match could beloevably be for the WWE title.

Its too soon Dusty Rhodes to lose their tag titles. Although the division is starting to stale up again, I cant see anything other than a retain.

The feud isnt done, so Nikki will win. 100%.

The US title is a strange one. Theres 2 ways I can see this going down, and I cant split them. Either A. Sheamus retains, leading to a program with Rusev, or B. Miz wins and plants the seeds to a Sandow turn and a US reign of his own down the line.

AJ should win and go into a program with Fox, that way you can keep Paige in the title picture without giving us the same match for what feels like the 6th time this year.

Rusev to win. A Big Show win does nothing for either man. Mark Henry to cost Show the match leading to a battle of the giants.

I really want Orton to win. I dont want Cena/Lesnar V. Its a fresh feud and I think they would work well together. Ortons putting in some of the best work of his career right now, and I think he can continue that momentum into a babyface turn. I dont know where Cena goes from here.

This feels like it should be the end of the feud, so Ambrose should win. Its the only story right now that I feel could have ended up in a Cell even if it wasnt a gimmick PPV. Rollins will be able to keep Orton busy till the Rumble, but again, I dont know where Ambrose goes from here, like Cena. I'd hate to see them go into a program together, that just feels lazy. Maybe a feud with a resurgant Wyatt?

Expect something crazy from Ambrose in the Cell. He's not coming off the top, but something mental.

Looking forward to Sunday night. Its a good looking PPV on paper.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler on Sat 25 Oct 2014, 7:39 pm

What is usually one of my least favourite PPVs due to the ruination of a gimmick, I am looking forward to this. Its the unpredictable nature of the matches, plus the 2/3 could be special and the two main events do have very interesting connotations in victory and defeat.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D on Sat 25 Oct 2014, 8:02 pm

Great article Chris. Will put this up on the journal unless you stole it of course!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler on Sat 25 Oct 2014, 9:03 pm

All mine, sir.

As an aside, do the clocks go back before, during or after the PPV? At 2am will the show suddenly start again and Ziggler will come out for another 2/3 falls match?

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by TopoftheChops on Sat 25 Oct 2014, 10:14 pm

Clocks are changed tonight

Looking forward to this ppv, I'm interested in most of the fueds on offer. Ambrose and Rollins will steal the show even with the 2/3 falls match showcasing two of the best wrestlers in the company.

TopoftheChops

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler on Sat 25 Oct 2014, 10:33 pm

http://www.wwe.com/videos/hell-in-a-cell-intercontinental-championship-match-preview-26755855

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo on Sun 26 Oct 2014, 12:23 pm

This infuriates me so much. With some much TV time to fill why couldnt they find a slot for these 2 to conduct this promo live? WWE seem to have forgot that you dont need to be in a match to continue a story.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC on Sun 26 Oct 2014, 2:29 pm

Good article mate. Think I'm going to buy this ppv. Rollins vs Ambrose I recon will be match of the year.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz on Sun 26 Oct 2014, 10:46 pm

What time is this on at given the clock change?

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando on Sun 26 Oct 2014, 10:51 pm

It's on at midnight in the UK

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo on Tue 28 Oct 2014, 7:52 am

Samo wrote:I dont know where Ambrose goes from here, like Cena. I'd hate to see them go into a program together, that just feels lazy. Maybe a feud with a resurgant Wyatt?

Called it.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum