The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rumble in the Jungle - 40 years on

+12
catchweight
Strongback
Dipper Brown
md_fan
Eyetoldyouso
jimdig
TRUSSMAN66
88Chris05
superflyweight
ONETWOFOREVER
wheelchair1991
milkyboy
16 posters

Go down

Rumble in the Jungle -  40 years on Empty Rumble in the Jungle - 40 years on

Post by Guest Thu 30 Oct 2014, 2:15 pm

I was only three at the time so have absolutely no recollection of the fight but over years I've watched this fight countless times and still love it like the first time I saw it. Do yourselves a favour boys, even if you've just watched this morning, find time to watch perhaps the greatest achievement in boxing, marvel at most charismatic human being on the planet, be humbled by The Greatest.

40 years later it still has the power to captivate.

(nice article from the BBC here... http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/boxing/29796214- with Colin hart still banging on about how he was the only British Journo to get the result right...pr!ck)

Back to top Go down

Rumble in the Jungle -  40 years on Empty Re: Rumble in the Jungle - 40 years on

Post by milkyboy Thu 30 Oct 2014, 2:35 pm

I was 7, Ali was my hero. I was scared stiff in the run up to the fight, and ecstatic/disbelieving at the outcome. One of my first boxing memories... My fear for Ali perhaps being accounted for by my first boxing memory.... Watching itv's world of sport as foreman battered Frazier.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Rumble in the Jungle -  40 years on Empty Re: Rumble in the Jungle - 40 years on

Post by wheelchair1991 Thu 30 Oct 2014, 2:58 pm

Wasnt alive obviously in 1974, seen the fight coutless times and the buildup interviews it was no doubt an all time great performance and an iconic moment in the 20th centuary

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu 30 Oct 2014, 3:03 pm

The rumble in the jungle sort of reminds me of our fued on 606v2 DAVE.

You (FORMAN) swinging and wailing away, landing what looks like meaningful blows, and chasing me (ALI) all over the ring (606v2) like a zombie hoping to land that ko blow that unsurprisingly for you never materialises.

Then there is me (ALI) leading you (FORMAN) on and teasing you as you get madder and madder and madder until like a green novice with enough condensation behind you're ears to wash a baby elephant you punch (talk) yourself out and gass pathetically only for me (ALI) to deliver a ONETWO combo to put you flat on you're back looking up wondering ''how''

Ha ha we still have a truce tho. Very Happy

Nice article to remember 1 of the greatest fights in boxing history. OK OK clap

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Thu 30 Oct 2014, 3:07 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:The rumble in the jungle sort of reminds me of our fued on 606v2 DAVE.

You (FORMAN) swinging and wailing away, landing what looks like meaningful blows, and chasing me (ALI) all over the ring (606v2) like a zombie hoping to land that ko blow that unsurprisingly for you never materialises.

Then there is me (ALI) leading you (FORMAN) on and teasing you as you get madder and madder and madder until like a green novice with enough condensation behind you're ears to wash a baby elephant you punch (talk) yourself out and gass pathetically only for me (ALI) to deliver a ONETWO combo to put you flat on you're back looking up wondering ''how''

Ha ha we still have a truce tho.  Very Happy

Ever considered becoming a sub-editor?

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 30 Oct 2014, 3:32 pm

Interesting Insight onethree. There's definitely a dope getting roped in your fude with Dave.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 30 Oct 2014, 3:34 pm

superflyweight wrote:
ONETWOFOREVER wrote:The rumble in the jungle sort of reminds me of our fued on 606v2 DAVE.

Ha ha we still have a truce tho.  Very Happy

Ever considered becoming a sub-editor?  
STRONGBACK already employs him (on his days off from the Circus). Aside from his hatred for Froch, I find ONETWONO-MAS to be one of the most deplorable individuals to frequent the boards but he's so pathetic it's nigh on impossible for that hatred not to morph into anything other than pity

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 30 Oct 2014, 3:44 pm

One of those things that I'll always be a bit mardy about not being able to experience in its own time as it happened, but even then you can still appreciate four decades later just how important it was in legitimising Ali's claim to be the greatest Heavy ever and what a monumental moment in was in sport, and in pop culture overall.

I can remember when I was fourteen back in 2002, when C4 ran their '100 greatest sporting moments' show. You should have seen me bleating to my old man when The Rumble came in at something like number seven, while the top spot went to Sir Steve Redgrave for his fifth gold in Sydney! Come on now, C4! Thought Ali-Foreman should have been top then, and still think it has a great claim now.....Certainly ahead of Sir Steve, anyway!
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 30 Oct 2014, 4:02 pm

Appears it's also 54 years to the day since Cassius Clay made his professional debut!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 30 Oct 2014, 4:05 pm

Ha ha, there were some feisty debates on Redgrave in the GOAT thing a couple of years ago. Churlish though I believe of some to belittle the achievements of the charisma-free, exponent of a minority gym activity.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Thu 30 Oct 2014, 4:07 pm

88Chris05 wrote:One of those things that I'll always be a bit mardy about not being able to experience in its own time as it happened, but even then you can still appreciate four decades later just how important it was in legitimising Ali's claim to be the greatest Heavy ever and what a monumental moment in was in sport, and in pop culture overall.

I can remember when I was fourteen back in 2002, when C4 ran their '100 greatest sporting moments' show. You should have seen me bleating to my old man when The Rumble came in at something like number seven, while the top spot went to Sir Steve Redgrave for his fifth gold in Sydney! Come on now, C4! Thought Ali-Foreman should have been top then, and still think it has a great claim now.....Certainly ahead of Sir Steve, anyway!

Sir? Are they giving out knighthoods to boat people now? This country...!

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 30 Oct 2014, 4:07 pm

For all it's historical impact what a very boring fight.....

Very little in the way of skill.............A fighter fighting like a rank novice giving a very durable fighter a pounding until he got Knackered....Basically Rocky vs Clubber Lang..

If it was Chagaev v Vitali we'd be saying how crap they both were..

Great win nonetheless.............Ali's habit of taming monsters that made other fighters shiver is one of the reasons I have him number 1.......

Would a Ray Robinson have had the bottle to perform against Liston, Frazier, Foreman types who knows ??........Probably would..

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Thu 30 Oct 2014, 5:08 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ..)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Thu 30 Oct 2014, 4:10 pm

Great fight immortalised in "When we were Kings", but where the legend for my money is less impressive than the reality.

For me, the legend that Ali and Dundee out thought the unbeatable Foreman with rope-a-dope, is less impressive than the reality which to my eyes is that Ali out fought the unbeatable Foreman.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by Eyetoldyouso Thu 30 Oct 2014, 5:18 pm

As one of the few contributors (rarely) to this site who is old enough to remember the fight and the lead-up to it, it is 100% true that the result was a complete shock.
Irrespective of Truss's comments it was compelling viewing and for those of us with an interest in boxing was the only subject for weeks before and after.
It is also true that never were there more people blessed with 20/20 hindsight.

Eyetoldyouso

Back to top Go down

Post by md_fan Thu 30 Oct 2014, 6:02 pm

I was nine at the time. Watched it with my Dad and brother on our black and white TV, and we all wanted Ali to win so desperately but knew it was a big task. What a feeling to see him succeed against such a strong opponent as George. Ali was a huge part of my childhood - loved to watch all his fights (apart from the final 2 against Holmes and Berbick - he should never have been fighting by that point).

md_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 30 Oct 2014, 7:34 pm

Eyetoldyouso wrote:As one of the few contributors (rarely) to this site who is old enough to remember the fight and the lead-up to it, it is 100% true that the result was a complete shock.
Irrespective of Truss's comments it was compelling viewing and for those of us with an interest in boxing was the only subject for weeks before and after.

It was a huge fight, an amazing feat of endurance and an amazing upset.............Never disputed that..

I don't find it an interesting fight to watch and think it was amateur night...

Regardless I have Ali as number 1 ATG...................Nobody conquered Everest as much as him..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Thu 30 Oct 2014, 8:05 pm

BBC radio 5 are doing a feature on it right now. Commentating as live with Froch, Haye & Hatton. Interesting stuff

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 30 Oct 2014, 9:18 pm

I go with the opinion that the fight was actually quite dull for the most part,although I thoroughly enjoy watching nevetheless ,not a fight to convert people to the sport,as for the most part it is simply George punching a covering-up Ali's arms.
I would positively urge people to read Norman Mailer's book on The Rumble, called "The Fight",where the author hangs out with Ali and gives a great account of the run-up as well as the socio-political background.

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Thu 30 Oct 2014, 9:25 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Eyetoldyouso wrote:As one of the few contributors (rarely) to this site who is old enough to remember the fight and the lead-up to it, it is 100% true that the result was a complete shock.

It was a huge fight, an amazing feat of endurance and an amazing upset.............Never disputed that..

I don't find it an interesting fight to watch and think it was amateur night...

Regardless I have Ali as number 1 ATG...................Nobody conquered Everest as much as him..

What age were you in 1974? 15

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Thu 30 Oct 2014, 9:29 pm

It's always different looking back on a fight and critiquing it. At the time you can be on the edge of your seat, fascinated by what might happen even if the output is low.

It's like watching a tense game of football, you may not want to watch it over and over again but the significance at the time can be massive. Would you honestly want to sit down and watch the Chelsea Bayern Munich final from 2012 again as live?

I agree with Andy as well that the socio political atmosphere of the time gives the fight an additional context.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Thu 30 Oct 2014, 11:31 pm

As famous as the Rumble in the Jungle is, having watched a few documenteries on Joe Louis I cant see how the Rumble could surpass Joe Louis v Max Schemeling II as biggest/most significant sports events.

The pressure on Louis in the fight is hard imagine. It seemed the entire world was watching (or listening). Issues of polititcs, race, nationalism and literal war. Louis was only 23 or 24 I think and he had the entire nation resting on his shoulders.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 31 Oct 2014, 7:58 am

Shame Schmelling had lost to Sharkey before it.....and was getting a slap when he deliberately stayed down on a foul against him the fight before..

Ali was fighting an unknown quantity.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 31 Oct 2014, 8:14 am

Dipper's right. Ali foreman might not be much of a spectacle, but it's the sheer tension that made it compelling viewing at the time. It's not something I revisit a a classic, because once you know the result you can't recreate the butterflies on your stomach.

Louis schmelling ii would certainly win on political significance but not, in my view, in sporting significance.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Fri 31 Oct 2014, 8:37 am

I only watched it for the first time about 2 years ago and had up till then believed Ali was being battered pillar to post until the miraculous last round.

How wrong I was as Ali was very much in the fight and probably ahead at the time of the stoppage.

I still can't truly grasp the importance/magnitude of it but had I been around at the time it would have been unbelievable!

There was a BBC Radio 5 Live show last night with Hatton, Haye and Froch watching each round and scoring it. I found it very interesting and watched the fight on youtube whilst listening to them. If is downloadable or on the website I would recommend listening to it.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by rapidringsroad Sun 02 Nov 2014, 9:20 pm

Above any thing, that fight proved that Ali may have lost the ability to dance out of the way,but he could take a punch.They weren't all taken on the arms and Foreman was a big puncher 37 knockouts from 40 fights,not many could stand up several rounds of that punishment.Ken Norton was one of the very few who picked Ali to win that fight.

rapidringsroad

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun 02 Nov 2014, 9:41 pm

Norton only picked him because Colin hart gave him the tip Wink

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 03 Nov 2014, 11:55 am

rapidringsroad wrote:Above any thing, that fight proved that Ali may have lost the ability to dance out of the way,but he could take a punch.They weren't all taken on the arms and Foreman was a big puncher 37 knockouts from 40 fights,not many could stand up several rounds of that punishment.Ken Norton was one of the very few who picked Ali to win that fight.

I think some of the body shots Ali took were frightening............If his condition was Boxing related then this fight didn't help....

It wasn't a great boxing performance..............It was an amzing feat of endurance and heart.......

Not to be recommended..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 03 Nov 2014, 3:20 pm

One plus side to the Rumble anniversary is there are at least two new books out about Ali. About time someone filled that particular gap in the market.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 03 Nov 2014, 3:33 pm

If either of them have an introduction by Colin Hart explain how he (SPOLIER ALERT) predicted the outcome of the fight...I'll be asking my wife for it for Xmas.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 03 Nov 2014, 3:57 pm

DAVE667 wrote:If either of them have an introduction by Colin Hart explain how he (SPOLIER ALERT) predicted the outcome of the fight...I'll be asking my wife for it for Xmas.

One of them does have a foreword by Tony Parsons, if there is one persons opinion I respect on boxing it is obviously Parsons.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon 03 Nov 2014, 4:01 pm

Although Nicholas Parsons is the true authoritarian on boxing history in the parsons household

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 03 Nov 2014, 4:07 pm

What about the bald headed beardy comedian Andy Parsons?

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon 03 Nov 2014, 4:08 pm

DAVE667 wrote:What about the bald headed beardy comedian Andy Parsons?

He is more a MMA fan to be fair.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 03 Nov 2014, 4:09 pm

I get that impression watching him on tv...it's even more apparent watching him live

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 03 Nov 2014, 4:35 pm

I bought a "Burley" book once.................

I was expecting to see page after page of naked strong bodies......

I was very disappointed.. Sad

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 03 Nov 2014, 4:40 pm

Why, Craig Burley must have been in decent shape during his playing career.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down