The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best match of all the top 4 rivalries

+15
banbrotam
DirectView2
theslosty
summerblues
kingraf
socal1976
HM Murdock
Gerry SA
Danny_1982
Johnyjeep
Henman Bill
slashermcguirk
LuvSports!
CaledonianCraig
It Must Be Love
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Best match of all the top 4 rivalries  Empty Best match of all the top 4 rivalries

Post by It Must Be Love Sat 1 Nov - 19:58

OK, let's go though the rivalries between the top 4 and pick the best matches; one for drama and one for quality of play (may be the same match). Also pick the best set.

Nadal vs Federer:
Quality- Rome 2006 Final: Nadal 6-7 7-6 6-4 2-6 7-6 Federer
Drama- Wimbledon 2008 Final: Nadal 6-4 6-4 6-7 6-7 9-7 Federer

Federer vs Djokovic:
Quality- French Open 2011 Semi: Federer 7-6 6-3 3-6 7-6 Djokovic
Drama- US Open 2011 Semi: Djokovic 6-7 4-6 6-3 6-2 7-5 Federer

Murray vs Djokovic:
Quality- Aus Open 2012 Semi: Djokovic 6-3 3-6 6-7 6-1 7-5 Murray
Drama- Aus Open 2012 Semi: Djokovic 6-3 3-6 6-7 6-1 7-5 Murray

Nadal vs Djokovic:
Quality- Montreal 2013 Semi: Nadal 6-4 3-6 7-6 Djokovic
Drama- French Open 2013: Nadal 6-4 3-6 6-1 6-7 9-7 Djokovic

Federer vs Murray:
Quality- Wimbledon 2012 Final: Federer 4-6 7-5 6-3 6-4 Murray
Drama- WTF 2008 RR: Murray 4-6 7-6 7-5 Federer

Nadal vs Murray:
Quality- WTF 2010 Semi: Nadal 7-6 3-6 7-6
Drama- WTF 2010 Semi: Nadal 7-6 3-6 7-6

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Best match of all the top 4 rivalries  Empty Re: Best match of all the top 4 rivalries

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat 1 Nov - 20:24

The Murray-Nadal match for drama (for me) was their US Open semi in 2008 when Andy won in four sets to reach his first slam final. I remember watching amazed to see Rafa reduced to doubling over after a long point from all his exertions. It also marked an important step forward in Andy's career.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Best match of all the top 4 rivalries  Empty Re: Best match of all the top 4 rivalries

Post by LuvSports! Sat 1 Nov - 20:43

Good posts, I would agree most if not all 2bh.
I haven't seen the Rome match properly, only highlights, so I may put their aus final as better.
I may give the edge to djoko vs nadal us open '11, especially the 3rd set.
In the djoko feds ones the last set is generally the most dramatic but in the FO one imo it was some of the best tennis ive ever seen.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Sat 1 Nov - 20:46

I can never understand when people talk about how good the federer vs djokovic French open semi 2011 was. Djokovic played so poorly that day, for me both players need to be playing great for a match to be epic. The 2011 us open semi was far higher quality.

I al so think us open final 2011 between nadal and djokovic was amazing as was that French open semi in 2013 with nadal just edging that one.

Nadal vs federer in oz open final was high quality too. Murray vs djokovic in Shanghai final in 2012 was great quality

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Sat 1 Nov - 20:47

Federer vs djokovic Wimbledon final this year was such high quality. Something like 150 winners vs 50 total unforced errors is an amazing stat and so rare to see that many more outright winners than errors

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Sat 1 Nov - 20:51

We must have been watching different matches Slasher. Some say it was the match of the decade.

This final was decent but no where near as good as the FO clash.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Sat 1 Nov - 20:58

Good choices mostly and the ones I'm not sure about are matches I didn't watch or can't remember. AO 09 final is also a contender for Federer-Nadal.

The quality of the Federer-Nadal and Federer-Djokovic matches highlights the quality of those particular rivalries.

Actually now I think about it AO 12 final for drama for Nadal-Djokovic and US 11 for quality. That FO match was a good one but the net touch spoils it slightly for me otherwise I agree.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Sat 1 Nov - 21:04

Luv sports, don't get me wrong the French open semi had it's moments but djokovic was so poor for the first 2 sets of that match. The quality was far better in the last 2 sets

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by Johnyjeep Sat 1 Nov - 21:23

I'd have picked the 2007 Wimbledon final between Federer and Nadal and the WTF final between Fed and Djoko in 2011 I think it was. Djoko won 76 75 I think.

That WTF final was unreal.

Johnyjeep

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Sat 1 Nov - 21:39

That was 2012 JJ

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Sat 1 Nov - 21:58

Agree with most of it. Though I think Djokovic v Nadal US open final 2011 is top for quality in their rivalry. I'm not sure I've ever enjoyed a set of tennis more than set 3 in that match. Mesmerising.

And Murray v Djokovic 2012 US open final tops the AO meeting in terms of drama for me. The AO was superb quality wise though, I agree.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sat 1 Nov - 22:06

I thought for drama Nadal vs Djokovic Madrid 2009 was the best. Wasn't it like 4 hours in a B03 set match?

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Sat 1 Nov - 22:32

Great thread and great suggestions in the OP.

Personally, I'd say best Nadal-Djokovic for quality was USO11 and best Federer-Djokovic for quality was this year's Wimbledon.

Rome 06 is a very good suggestion for best quality Federer-Nadal but I'd also put AO09 up there too. The RG05 semi final was also high quality.

AO12 is probably the best Djokovic-Murray match but Rome 11 between those two is an often-overlooked classic. Murray came so close to ending that winning streak but Novak came back from the brink.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Sat 1 Nov - 22:47

^ yes Murdoch, that Rome match was a belter and is often forgotten. Probably because it's so unusual for Andy to play that well on clay!

Be nice if Andy gets back to a level where that rivalry becomes good to watch again. It's been pretty poor this year, and totally one sided.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by Johnyjeep Sat 1 Nov - 23:30

LuvSports! wrote:That was 2012 JJ

Thanks LuvSp.

Though the best passage of play I've seen was in the Wimbledon final of 2008. When Nadal got match point with a ridiculous forehand pass. And then Fed saved it with an ever better backhand pass.

If u were.playing tennis on the PlayStation and the computer threw those shots out you'd switch it off!! No point in playing when the computers just gonna cheat!!

Johnyjeep

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Sat 1 Nov - 23:54

Interesting people mention Rome 2011 semi and Aus Open 2009 final; funnily enough I had both of those matches first; but then changed my mind and replaces them.
Both great matches, some of the rallies in AO 2009 were beyond belief.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Sun 2 Nov - 0:01

JJ; the WTF 2012 final was of unbelievable quality. Federer should have won it, or atleast taken it to 3 sets, I was watching that live and couldn't believe Djokovic in straights.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Sun 2 Nov - 0:02

Gerry SA wrote:I thought for drama Nadal vs Djokovic Madrid 2009 was the best. Wasn't it like 4 hours in a B03 set match?
That was dramatic... but the fact FO 2013 semi had so much riding on it makes it slightly more dramatic for me.
The context of Nadal having been written off and coming back form injury, Djokovic on verge of winning the Career Grand Slam, the roller coaster nature of the match, the net touch.... that match had everything. Still my favourite match of all time.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Sun 2 Nov - 0:10

Danny_1982 wrote: Though I think Djokovic v Nadal US open final 2011 is top for quality in their rivalry. I'm not sure I've ever enjoyed a set of tennis more than set 3 in that match. Mesmerising.

I was considering making a Best Set category just for this, but decided against it.

But yeah... that was a ridiculous set of tennis. Certainly in this rivalry the best set, with the final set of Montreal just behind it (did anyone see the Montreal Final 2013 btw, that was also sublime).

This is a rally from the USO 2011 3rd set:

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 2 Nov - 5:00

slashermcguirk wrote:I can never understand when people talk about how good the federer vs djokovic French open semi 2011 was. Djokovic played so poorly that day, for me both players need to be playing great for a match to be epic. The 2011 us open semi was far higher quality.

I al so think us open final 2011 between nadal and djokovic was amazing as was that French open semi in 2013 with nadal just edging that one.

Nadal vs federer in oz open final was high quality too. Murray vs djokovic in Shanghai final in 2012 was great quality

I agree slasher, Djokovic was rusty and played like absolute garbage the first two sets. He started to play in set #3 and should have turned the match around. The only reason it is seen as a great match is because federer won and ended the streak. If the roles had been reversed and fed laid a stinker on everyone for the first two sets and Djokovic won the match in 4 sets no one would be calling it a classic performance of any kind.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 2 Nov - 7:16

Ooh, it's difficult to pick a Nadal-Djokovic match. They've thrown so many classics. As good as Rome 2009 was, I think Australian Open 2012 had so much more drama. The rain, Nadal coming back from 0-40 down to raw back and take the fourth, Nadal breaking the fifth, Djokovic roaring back. It was pure theatre. At the same time, I thought RG2013's final set was the highest level either has played against the other.
Can't really rate USO11 for the same reason I wouldnt rate USO13. The opposition died out in the fourth... This year's Parisian final was also dramatic, if not quality dense. If their other finals were more like Fight of the Century, between two Champions at their peaks, or close to it, this year's Roland Garros was more like Thrilla in Manila. Two older, wiser, worn champions, willing themselves to glory. I think if Djokovic could have mustered the energy to have a look at Rafa, he'd have realised he was nearly out of there. Problem was, Djokovic was on his last legs himself.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Sun 2 Nov - 9:41

I've always thought the two RG classics in this list are a bit overrated.

Federer Djokovic RG11 was a pretty straight forward Federer win. He served brilliantly that day and, although it was close on the scoreboard, it felt like the match was always on Federer's racquet. I've seen much better from this pairing.

And the status of Djokovic Nadal RG13 stems solely from the end of the 4th and the drama of the 5th. But there were spells of that match where Djokovic was awful - he lost the third set 6-1! If Rafa had managed to serve out in the 4th, it would have been viewed as a routine win and disappointing entry in that rivalry. It had a dramatic end of course, but I think the match was some way short of classic when taken as a whole.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 2 Nov - 10:02

Actually forgot that RG13 wasnt even the final. Like I said, for me, that final set was the best either has played against the other.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Sun 2 Nov - 11:06

I'll refresh some of your memories re rg'11.
http://vimeo.com/43966196

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Sun 2 Nov - 12:03

socal1976 wrote:The only reason it is seen as a great match is because federer won and ended the streak. If the roles had been reversed and fed laid a stinker on everyone for the first two sets and Djokovic won the match in 4 sets no one would be calling it a classic performance of any kind.
Hmmm, maybe you're right. I felt Djokovic's level was quite high; and he even served for the fourth set (so he could have easily won the match).

Btw, have you been watching Real Time for the past month or so ? Did you watch Maher vs Affleck a few weeks ago, and last Friday's episode ?

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Sun 2 Nov - 13:29

I have massively Amrit.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun 2 Nov - 14:15

Nadal Federer:  I did not see either the Rome match (shopping with wife and checking scores on my phone) nor 2012 WTF (working).  From the ones I have seen, I thought the first four sets of the AO final was the best I have seen (except for Federer serve being so-so).

Nadal Djokovic:  Again, did not see their USO finals (work), and did not think the AO final was highest quality (Nole subpar for long stretches) and neither were their RG encounters (both of them subpar for long stretches).  I actually thought some of their lower profile matches were much better (e.g., their 2009 Madrid or even some of their 2011 matches).

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Sun 2 Nov - 14:21

LuvSports! wrote:I have massively Amrit.
Bill Maher or French Open 2011 ? Wink

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Sun 2 Nov - 14:36

SB they didn't play against each other at the 2012 wtf's, rafa wasn't in it.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun 2 Nov - 15:09

yeah, obviously, that one I meant for Nole vs Fed - the one that everyone seems to think was so good (7:6, 7:5 to Nole, or something?). I think it was 2012?

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by theslosty Sun 2 Nov - 23:42

I think for pure quality of play and the consistency of it the Federer Nadal AO 2009 finals stands out. Obviously the fifth set was a damp squib but the fact Federer won 2 sets serving below 40%, against a Nadal on full throttle, says a lot. The fourth set in that match contained the greatest point I have ever witnessed.

With Nadal and Djokovic there are just too many epics to choose from. Even in one of their less highly regarded matches, the USO 2013 final, I thought the standard was phenomenal for a couple of sets, but perhaps having become used to watching that match-up has hurt its ratings.

Probably the 3 matches I will remember most from this era are the aforementioned AO 2009 final, the 2008 Wimbledon classic and Djokovic's win against Federer in the USO SF 2011. Never have I felt lower after a tennis match and surely its drama is unrivalled. The quality was mixed with generally just one player on form in each set, but in the fifth set both players let loose.
Quality-wise I'd submit the WTF 2012 final, both were playing at pretty much their absolute best and as said by others straight sets didn't do it justice.
theslosty
theslosty

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Mon 3 Nov - 12:16

theslosty wrote:Quality-wise I'd submit the WTF 2012 final, both were playing at pretty much their absolute best and as said by others straight sets didn't do it justice.
It was a very good final and it produced the best championship point winner I can remember (that could be a thread for another time - "best championship points").

Federer produced a particularly stunning winner about two points prior to that too, as I recall.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by DirectView2 Mon 3 Nov - 14:37

slashermcguirk wrote:I can never understand when people talk about how good the federer vs djokovic French open semi 2011 was. Djokovic played so poorly that day, for me both players need to be playing great for a match to be epic. The 2011 us open semi was far higher quality.

I completely disagree, USO 2011 both played crap, only the final set got heated up a bit, in comparison both played good in FO 2011 eventhou it was only a 4 set affair, Djoko could have easily robbed the 4th set had he had a bit of luck.

DirectView2

Back to top Go down

Post by DirectView2 Mon 3 Nov - 14:40

For Nadal Federer matches

Quality -
1]Rome finals - Nadal winning
2]Miami Finals - Federer winning
3]FO '06 - Nadal winning
4]FO '11 - Nadal winning
5]WTF - Federer winning the only finals Nadal made.

Drama and Quality
1]Wimb '07 - Federer Winning
2]Wimb ' 08 - Nadal winning

Drama
1]AO '11 - Nadal winning

DirectView2

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Mon 3 Nov - 15:41

I think the 'drama' for Fed v Murray was actually last years (2013) often forgotten and underestimated Aus SF (or was it QF)

It had both playing well for most of the match - which is rare when these two meet each other

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by DirectView2 Mon 3 Nov - 17:58

banbrotam wrote:I think the 'drama' for Fed v Murray was actually last years (2013) often forgotten and underestimated Aus SF (or was it QF)

It had both playing well for most of the match - which is rare when these two meet each other

All of Fed - Murray match in my view has lived upto the billing.

DirectView2

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon 3 Nov - 18:08

Must have been reading different billing for the 2010 Australian Open to live up to its billing then.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Mon 3 Nov - 23:50

OK, new idea; best matches between them that were straight sets:

Federer vs Djokovic:
WTF 2012 Final

Nadal vs Murray:
Wimbledon 2010 Semi

Federer vs Murray:
Australian Open 2010 Final

Nadal vs Djokovic:
Queens 2008 Final (Nadal won 7-6 7-5)

Murray vs Djokovic:
Olympics 2012 Semi

Federer vs Nadal:
I don't know really. Australian Open semi this year maybe ? WTF in 2006 ?

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Tue 4 Nov - 8:39

Straight sets is tough. Do you mean as a piece of drama?

Because matches like Federer v Nadal RG08 and WTF11, Djokovic v Nadal Miami 2014 were drubbings but contained performances by the winner which were stunning to watch.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Tue 4 Nov - 12:21

HM Murdoch wrote:Straight sets is tough. Do you mean as a piece of drama?

Because matches like Federer v Nadal RG08 and WTF11, Djokovic v Nadal Miami 2014 were drubbings but contained performances by the winner which were stunning to watch.
Best matches, so both players playing to a high level.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by DirectView2 Tue 4 Nov - 14:16

HM Murdoch wrote:Straight sets is tough. Do you mean as a piece of drama?

+1 FO 2008 is one of the best I have seen a player play [Nadal], I won't say Fed played really that bad, yes he may not be at his best but certainly didn't play bad, it was clearly the genius of Rafa to thrash him that day, thats the first time I saw Fed gave up completely after 2 sets were done.

On Fed's performance over Rafa, i would give some of his WTF wins.

DirectView2

Back to top Go down

Post by Fonteyn22 Tue 4 Nov - 17:18

It Must Be Love wrote:OK, new idea; best matches between them that were straight sets:

Nadal vs Djokovic:
Queens 2008 Final (Nadal won 7-6 7-5)

That was a fantastic match. I'd forgotten about it until you mentioned it. I've got a recording of it somewhere, I must dig it out again.

Fonteyn22

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Tue 4 Nov - 18:01

Borg v McEnroe W for quality and drama.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Wed 5 Nov - 2:47

laverfan wrote:Borg v McEnroe W for quality and drama.
That was the match that got me into watching tennis.  I am assuming you mean the 1980 rendition.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Wed 5 Nov - 3:19

summerblues wrote:
laverfan wrote:Borg v McEnroe W for quality and drama.
That was the match that got me into watching tennis.  I am assuming you mean the 1980 rendition.

Yes. http://vimeo.com/30721867 - A fantastic match. Very similar to watching Federer (McEnroe) v Nadal (Borg) @ W. And Federer and Nadal had not been born yet.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Wed 5 Nov - 9:27

Agree with most of the initial choices. I would probably disagree with FO11 being the best quality Fed v Djoker match. Thought Novak was poor that day. I would go for this year's Wimbledon final.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Wed 5 Nov - 13:38

It Must Be Love wrote:
socal1976 wrote:The only reason it is seen as a great match is because federer won and ended the streak. If the roles had been reversed and fed laid a stinker on everyone for the first two sets and Djokovic won the match in 4 sets no one would be calling it a classic performance of any kind.
Hmmm, maybe you're right. I felt Djokovic's level was quite high; and he even served for the fourth set (so he could have easily won the match).

Btw, have you been watching Real Time for the past month or so ? Did you watch Maher vs Affleck a few weeks ago, and last Friday's episode ?

Sorry, haven't been able to watch any Maher, I am currently on an extended business trip out of the country. Nice to catch up with you amritia. Haven't been posting much as I have been very busy.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Wed 5 Nov - 14:25

It Must Be Love wrote:OK, new idea; best matches between them that were straight sets:

One not yet mentioned that stands out for me here is the AO 2011 SF between Federer and Novak. Straight sets, but very high quality and Djokovic was absolutely on fire that day. As soon as I saw Federer lose that match, I knew Murray was going to get obliterated in the final.

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Wed 5 Nov - 14:39

Silver wrote:

One not yet mentioned that stands out for me here is the AO 2011 SF between Federer and Novak. Straight sets, but very high quality and Djokovic was absolutely on fire that day. As soon as I saw Federer lose that match, I knew Murray was going to get obliterated in the final.
Excellent suggestion. I'm annoyed I didn't think of it! Wink

That was the match where I first thought that Novak was not just in good form, but was looking like he'd got better.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Wed 5 Nov - 18:51

socal1976 wrote:
It Must Be Love wrote:

Sorry, haven't been able to watch any Maher, I am currently on an extended business trip out of the country. Nice to catch up with you amritia. Haven't been posting much as I have been very busy.
OK, when you get some time off give me an email OK
As for Real Time, Maher peed off all the liberals again with his comments, and now there's huge controversy and even a university are launching a petition to cancel some commencement speech. What happened to free speech I don't know.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next