The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Federer believes players who don't win a Grand Slam shouldn't reach number 1 in rankings... but not for himself ?

+12
LuvSports!
temporary21
JuliusHMarx
laverfan
kingraf
hawkeye
Jahu
banbrotam
HM Murdock
super_realist
Silver
It Must Be Love
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Federer believes players who don't win a Grand Slam shouldn't reach number 1 in rankings... but not for himself ? - Page 2 Empty Federer believes players who don't win a Grand Slam shouldn't reach number 1 in rankings... but not for himself ?

Post by It Must Be Love Mon 03 Nov 2014, 3:02 pm

First topic message reminder :

Using my dark Nadal fan powers I've managed to dig out an article on Federer commenting on Jankovic reaching number 1 a few years ago. Basically Jankovic reached number 1, Federer was very unflattering on Jankovic reaching world number 1 without winning a slam and questioned the WTA ranking system, and Jankovic got angry at Federer's comments.
Article covering that here:
http://www.reuters.com/article/2009/02/10/us-tennis-jankovic-interview-sb-idUSTRE5193KA20090210

So that was a few years ago... but now Federer has not made similar comments in the past month or so when he himself was chasing the number 1 ranking, instead saying how important the ranking was.

So, what does this make Federer ?

Last edited by It Must Be Love on Fri 07 Nov 2014, 11:14 am; edited 1 time in total

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Federer believes players who don't win a Grand Slam shouldn't reach number 1 in rankings... but not for himself ? - Page 2 Empty Re: Federer believes players who don't win a Grand Slam shouldn't reach number 1 in rankings... but not for himself ?

Post by It Must Be Love Tue 04 Nov 2014, 11:23 am

HM Murdoch wrote:
It Must Be Love wrote:A quote from Federer answering fan questions in an interview, saying he thinks world number 1 ranking is more important than slams
He's not saying it's more important than slams.
That quote was his justification for it:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=516451

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Federer believes players who don't win a Grand Slam shouldn't reach number 1 in rankings... but not for himself ? - Page 2 Empty Re: Federer believes players who don't win a Grand Slam shouldn't reach number 1 in rankings... but not for himself ?

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 04 Nov 2014, 11:37 am

Well anyway I'm convinced. Fed has a screw loose and is a fairly awful human being. Hate to think how his kids will turn out.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Tue 04 Nov 2014, 11:48 am

It Must Be Love wrote:
HM Murdoch wrote:
It Must Be Love wrote:A quote from Federer answering fan questions in an interview, saying he thinks world number 1 ranking is more important than slams
He's not saying it's more important than slams.
That quote was his justification for it:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=516451
He said differently in Shanghai:

"For me it was about winning titles again, because last year I only got one, which is quite disappointing to be quite honest."
http://en.shanghairolexmasters.com/transcripts/transcript-singles-champ-roger-federer-12-oct-14-205.aspx

I can't believe he would rather be #1 than win another slam. It's crazy. He must have misunderstood the question in some way (your link does say that he looked "bewildered").

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Johnyjeep Tue 04 Nov 2014, 11:53 am

It Must Be Love wrote:

JohnyJeep wrote:Unless of course we all act and think like we did when we were children, teenagers or young single care free adults!! Peoples views and perspectives change as their circumstances change throughout life.
Yes in 2009 he had a really strong direct opinion, which he expressed publicly in the context of Jankovic, but then in 2014 when it's him his perspective changed on this issue somehow

Brushing aside the fact you've had to reference an article from over 5 years ago on the matter which would mean he hasn't really talked about it since demonstrating he probably doesn't really have that ‘strong’ a view on the matter - unless your definition of a 'strong opinion' is answering a question put to you and not ever talking about it again (in which case lobbyists of any nature are barking up the wrong tree), I would say this:

His 'strong' opinions are probably the culmination of years of conditioning much like his tennis skills. They probably train in the gym with him and out on court.

And let's be truly fair here...it seems to have worked. His opinions still have such weight (and fitness?? Do they have a cardio session as well?) that even after 5 years they are still being used to label him as a “pretty mean, unnecessarily unpleasant and (even more) warped” individual.

I say throw away the key. Or better yet. I want his opinions drug tested. There’s no way that after over half a decade his opinions can still be this strong.

Johnyjeep

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Tue 04 Nov 2014, 12:20 pm

I was using 'really strong' ironically, considering it seems he's changed his view on this...

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by DirectView2 Tue 04 Nov 2014, 2:54 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:Well anyway I'm convinced. Fed has a screw loose and is a fairly awful human being. Hate to think how his kids will turn out.

I am convinced too, we have one guardian Angel in Rafa and one devil in Fed Very Happy , and thankfully the devil's time will be over in a matter a months.

DirectView2

Back to top Go down

Post by DirectView2 Tue 04 Nov 2014, 3:22 pm

[quote="Johnyjeep"]
It Must Be Love wrote:

JohnyJeep wrote:Unless of course we all act and think like we did when we were children, teenagers or young single care free adults!! Peoples views and perspectives change as their circumstances change throughout life.
Yes in 2009 he had a really strong direct opinion, which he expressed publicly in the context of Jankovic, but then in 2014 when it's him his perspective changed on this issue somehow

@ IMBL

Given than you hate/dislike Fed its no wonder you waited for 5 long years to take a dig at him at every given opportunity, but I see the comment in a different manner and still see some sense in it.

Getting to no.1 without a slam is not acceptable/appreciable according to Fed which I still see as sense, coz in WTA those days the champs became No.1 even without winning slams ever and some of them ended/or still without slams, in contemporary Fed already won enough slams and is the record holder for slams and record holder for maximum weeks at no.1, so its not an issue for him to have a few more weeks as no.1, its not going to impact his or ATP's legacy.

The difference is how well one can manipulate the wordings, coz of your dislike you don't want to look into any aspect that would make sense but manipulate it all different possibilities to take a shot at him, otherwise why would somebody even open such a silly speech after 5 long years?

DirectView2

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 04 Nov 2014, 4:06 pm

IMBL
Warning !!!!!! warning
Dont you know that those of us who dislike Fed are called RETARDS
and are subjected to boxing

Nothing but  notworthy is tolerated here.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 04 Nov 2014, 4:17 pm

Well, I mean... it's hardly an anti Fed article. Maybe it has slightly negative undertones... but it's hardly a Socal-esque article. Not even much difference from my general digs at Nole...
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Tue 04 Nov 2014, 4:22 pm

DirectView wrote:Given than you hate/dislike Fed
Incorrect, I don't dislike Federer; infact I like him; but I don't think he's a saint who can do no wrong. I can speak for myself on who I like or dislike, thank you very much.
Also, as a continuation of what Haddie is saying, people are absolutely allowed to have whatever opinions on Federer they want to, people are free to like or dislike him.

DirectView wrote:Getting to no.1 without a slam is not acceptable/appreciable according to Fed which I still see as sense, coz in WTA those days the champs became No.1 even without winning slams ever and some of them ended/or still without slams, in contemporary Fed already won enough slams and is the record holder for slams and record holder for maximum weeks at no.1, so its not an issue for him to have a few more weeks as no.1, its not going to impact his or ATP's legacy.
As I said earlier, your interpretation of what Federer is saying actually paints a worse picture of him. To be honest, neither of the interpretations paint him in a particularly good light.
However your version makes what he's saying really more bizarre. If you are right, and he was talking about 'never won a Grand Slam' in a career rather than the previous 12 months; that means he's implying that what happens outside the period the ranking applies should influence the annual rankings.
Nevertheless considering the article states he was talking about it in context of 'how the WTA ranking system' works- it's more likely to me that he was talking about never winning a slam in the year itself.

People are entitled to their own opinion about what this episode makes Federer...

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Tue 04 Nov 2014, 4:24 pm

kingraf wrote:Well, I mean... it's hardly an anti Fed article. Maybe it has slightly negative undertones... but it's hardly a Socal-esque article. Not even much difference from my general digs at Nole...
Silver, Luvsports; both are Federer fans- and they came to an opinion similar to what I reached; it's not like I made Federer say what he said.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Tue 04 Nov 2014, 4:26 pm

OKOK I think everyone made their point here, lets keep the discussion focused on the subject and not the posters. There are multiplt ways to interpret this but lets not get into fights about it.

The threads really addressing the concept of the numeric no 1 and the "real" no 1. Its been a thing for a while that a player can reach world number one, and have earned that right, but sometimes dont "feel" number one, maybe since they played more tournies than others or the perhaps actual number one got injured, or indeed they got there in a year they didnt win a slam.

The question therefore isnt "Is Fed a good/bad person for his comments?" Its more "If Fed did reach no 1 this year would he feel like the "real" number one?"

Keep it classy Cool

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 04 Nov 2014, 4:35 pm

It Must Be Love wrote:

Also, as a continuation of what Haddie is saying, people are absolutely allowed to have whatever opinions on Federer they want to, people are free to like or dislike him

Sorry but I can personally refute that.... a thread was locked because of it.. Anything goes when it comes to Rafa... but St Roger is one of the untouchables.. But what do I know after all I was called ( obviously so bad  they wont even let me post the word now)  And with no apology from the thread's moderator !!!!

Lets hope that what you say now proves to be the case... Fingers Crossed

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 04 Nov 2014, 4:39 pm

We need a slap icon so I can slap the collective of you! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Tue 04 Nov 2014, 4:40 pm

You've made a technical error with your quoting there Haddie (it looks like I've said what your response to me was), but yes I'm aware of what happened, and I think the offensive abuse you were subjected to was shocking; but anyway let's move on and hope that's not repeated.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 04 Nov 2014, 4:53 pm

It Must Be Love wrote:You've made a technical error with your quoting there Haddie (it looks like I've said what your response to me was), but yes I'm aware of what happened, and I think the offensive abuse you were subjected to was shocking; but anyway let's move on and hope that's not repeated.

Sorry for the error... thank you for your acknowledgement..it least helps to know that someone gave a damn Hug

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 04 Nov 2014, 4:53 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:IMBL
Warning !!!!!! warning
Dont you know that those of us who dislike Fed are called RETARDS
and are subjected to boxing

Nothing but  notworthy is tolerated here.

Exactly - that's why this thread was deleted! Err, hang on....

Last edited by JuliusHMarx on Tue 04 Nov 2014, 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 04 Nov 2014, 4:56 pm

It Must Be Love wrote:Also, as a continuation of what Haddie is saying, people are absolutely allowed to have whatever opinions on Federer they want to, people are free to like or dislike him

Quite right - and any negative opinions are allowed and don't seem to drive Federer fans away en masse.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 04 Nov 2014, 5:12 pm

So... can I finally write a thread on how much I abhor Djokovic, or can I drop it off here?
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 04 Nov 2014, 5:22 pm

It Must Be Love wrote:You've made a technical error with your quoting there Haddie (it looks like I've said what your response to me was), but yes I'm aware of what happened, and I think the offensive abuse you were subjected to was shocking; but anyway let's move on and hope that's not repeated.

Surely you mean - let's bring it up again and then move on? Perhaps it would be better to have already moved on, thus negating the need to bring it up again?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Tue 04 Nov 2014, 5:24 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:

Surely you mean - let's bring it up again and then move on? Perhaps it would be better to have already moved on, thus negating the need to bring it up again?
Firstly I was expressing I did agree with Haddie on the matter, secondly Haddie made a mistake with the quoting, so I was clearing up what I thought so people don't get confused.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 04 Nov 2014, 5:25 pm

Well, anyway... I hate Djokovic.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 04 Nov 2014, 5:26 pm

OK - then I will have to allow everyone their opinion on the matter, if they wish. Although hopefully they will have moved on and won't feel the need.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 04 Nov 2014, 5:27 pm

kingraf wrote:Well, anyway... I hate Djokovic.

Start a thread kr. I'll lay odds it will turn into a Fed vs Rafa thread within twenty posts Smile

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Tue 04 Nov 2014, 5:34 pm

Well well.

That's a pity - especially as I believe he speaks well of you, kingraf    Wink

I reckon you can henceforth say goodbye to any "Great observation " or "Totally agree with you" posts from the esteemed socal ........

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by DirectView2 Tue 04 Nov 2014, 5:44 pm

It Must Be Love wrote:
Incorrect, I don't dislike Federer; infact I like him; but I don't think he's a saint who can do no wrong. I can speak for myself on who I like or dislike, thank you very much.
Also, as a continuation of what Haddie is saying, people are absolutely allowed to have whatever opinions on Federer they want to, people are free to like or dislike him.

DirectView wrote:Getting to no.1 without a slam is not acceptable/appreciable according to Fed which I still see as sense, coz in WTA those days the champs became No.1 even without winning slams ever and some of them ended/or still without slams, in contemporary Fed already won enough slams and is the record holder for slams and record holder for maximum weeks at no.1, so its not an issue for him to have a few more weeks as no.1, its not going to impact his or ATP's legacy.
As I said earlier, your interpretation of what Federer is saying actually paints a worse picture of him. To be honest, neither of the interpretations paint him in a particularly good light.
However your version makes what he's saying really more bizarre. If you are right, and he was talking about 'never won a Grand Slam' in a career rather than the previous 12 months; that means he's implying that what happens outside the period the ranking applies should influence the annual rankings.
Nevertheless considering the article states he was talking about it in context of 'how the WTA ranking system' works- it's more likely to me that he was talking about never winning a slam in the year itself.

People are entitled to their own opinion about what this episode makes Federer...

I dis agree is my opinion, and you started the article stating you don't like Fed and now you are contradicting yourself.

@Haddie , I didn't abuse anybody here, all I stated is why the article was opened , which is "I dislike/hate Federer" , and for strange reason it makes some Nadal fans happy here [606v2] certainly not the case on most forums, the best of all even Nadal likes Fed and the vice versa, but people even would argue that as a masked side of Fed. Very Happy

@ People are entitled to their own opinion about what this episode makes Federer...

So why apply the same criteria on Fed and accept the fact he is entitled to cast his own opinion ? picard

So if Fed's opinion was wrong just cause you didn't like it, whats wrong in my view that you are wrong as well that I didn't like your opinion Very Happy , and then Haddie-nuff can come and say i am wrong coz he didn't like my opinion, and the loop goes on , which i guess is the motto of this article notworthy then you have done your task.

DirectView2

Back to top Go down

Post by DirectView2 Tue 04 Nov 2014, 5:50 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:

Start a thread kr. I'll lay odds it will turn into a Fed vs Rafa thread within twenty posts Smile

I lay further odds on the thread turning how bad Fed was to Mirka by delivering 4 punishable.

DirectView2

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Tue 04 Nov 2014, 5:53 pm

Sometimes IMBL, just sometimes, you need to let things go. You really do.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by DirectView2 Tue 04 Nov 2014, 5:55 pm

lags72 wrote:Sometimes IMBL, just sometimes, you need to let things go. You really do.

thumbsup

DirectView2

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Tue 04 Nov 2014, 5:59 pm

DirectView2 wrote:

So if Fed's opinion was wrong just cause you didn't like it, whats wrong in my view that you are wrong as well that I didn't like your opinion Very Happy , and then Haddie-nuff can come and say i am wrong coz he didn't like my opinion, and the loop goes on , which i guess is the motto of this article notworthy then you have done your task.
I don't particularly see it as a loop.

Firstly just because you don't think someone is a saint, or you criticise them on some instances, doesn't mean you dislike them.

Even some Federer fans have responded here by making clear they thought Federer's comment has bitten in him the back and has applied to some double standards, if some people get upset with that judgement then there's nothing I can do.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Tue 04 Nov 2014, 6:18 pm

lags72 wrote:Sometimes IMBL, just sometimes, you need to let things go. You really do.
and this contributes what exactly to the discussion?

I guess ill reiterate

The title of this thread does not say "Lets judge IMBL based on his/her opinion of Federer", and as such any comments even tangentially related to this are off topic, and are treated as such.

You guys wanna vent at eachother? Then both of you make email accounts, give it to eachother and go nuts. Its not for here though.

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 04 Nov 2014, 6:26 pm

Damn... Seven comments. You win Julius.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by DirectView2 Tue 04 Nov 2014, 6:38 pm

It Must Be Love wrote:
DirectView2 wrote:

I don't particularly see it as a loop.

Firstly just because you don't think someone is a saint, or you criticise them on some instances, doesn't mean you dislike them.

Even some Federer fans have responded here by making clear they thought Federer's comment has bitten in him the back and has applied to some double standards, if some people get upset with that judgement then there's nothing I can do.

I am not defending what Federer said is right or wrong but for GOD sake it was just an opinion  and he don't deserve a stick after 5 years for a simple opinion, what exactly do you want to achieve with this thread? that Fed is a devil? if you don't like him thats ok so spend your time wisely on making articles on your favourite player than whining about some player's comment of 150,000 light years back.

DirectView2

Back to top Go down

Post by Johnyjeep Tue 04 Nov 2014, 8:29 pm

It Must Be Love wrote:I was using 'really strong' ironically, considering it seems he's changed his view on this...

ah, so he's changed his mind then?  And if it's not such a really strong opinion (which it's not) why does that enable you to form the opinion of him being a "pretty mean, unnecessarily unpleasant and (even more) warped" individual. I'd say that was a pretty strong opinion (not being ironic). I suppose they do say "it takes one to know one" I guess.

I didn't realise changing your mind was such a heinous crime either. How dare anyone change their mind over the course of half a decade.

In almost every interview at a major, player x will say that this is the most important tournament to them blah blah blah same old schpeel. Are they all hypocritics to? Hang on mate, 10 years ago you said the US Open had the best fans in the world, now your saying the Wimbledon crowd is the best! Hypocrite.

If only we were all so rigid and uncompromising as your good self (in all matters tennis) the world would be such a better place.

Johnyjeep

Back to top Go down

Post by Johnyjeep Tue 04 Nov 2014, 8:35 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:

haha wish i'd carry on reading before posting above tbh!! Seems there's been many shenanigans since I last looked!

Johnyjeep

Back to top Go down

Post by DirectView2 Tue 04 Nov 2014, 8:42 pm

Johnyjeep wrote:
It Must Be Love wrote:I was using 'really strong' ironically, considering it seems he's changed his view on this...

ah, so he's changed his mind then?  And if it's not such a really strong opinion (which it's not) why does that enable you to form the opinion of him being a "pretty mean, unnecessarily unpleasant and (even more) warped" individual. I'd say that was a pretty strong opinion (not being ironic). I suppose they do say "it takes one to know one" I guess.

I didn't realise changing your mind was such a heinous crime either. How dare anyone change their mind over the course of half a decade.

In almost every interview at a major, player x will say that this is the most important tournament to them blah blah blah same old schpeel. Are they all hypocritics to? Hang on mate, 10 years ago you said the US Open had the best fans in the world, now your saying the Wimbledon crowd is the best! Hypocrite.

If only we were all so rigid and uncompromising as your good self (in all matters tennis) the world would be such a better place.

Spot on clap

DirectView2

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Tue 04 Nov 2014, 8:46 pm

JohnyJeep wrote:I didn't realise changing your mind was such a heinous crime either. How dare anyone change their mind over the course of half a decade.
You've already made this point... my reply is that it seems coincidental that is change of mind came at a time when he was challenging for the world number 1 rather than Jankovic.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by DirectView2 Tue 04 Nov 2014, 8:48 pm

It Must Be Love wrote:
JohnyJeep wrote:I didn't realise changing your mind was such a heinous crime either. How dare anyone change their mind over the course of half a decade.
You've already made this point... my reply is that it seems coincidental that is change of mind came at a time when he was challenging for the world number 1 rather than Jankovic.

Am I allowed to laugh out Loud, please just once Laugh

DirectView2

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Tue 04 Nov 2014, 8:49 pm

OK last chance guys, this is not a squabbling forum, either agree to disagree or you're forcing my hand. Ive warned nicely now twice

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Johnyjeep Tue 04 Nov 2014, 8:55 pm

lol to be fair temporary21 - it's all so absurd and impossible, I gladly cede upon your request.

Johnyjeep

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2