The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What`s it all about?

+2
GunsGerms
emack2
6 posters

Go down

What`s it all about? Empty What`s it all about?

Post by emack2 Fri 14 Nov 2014, 10:12 am

Last weekend we had two contrasting games by the top 2 teams in the world all the stats.
Possession,field position,etc Said one thing the side on paper had least possession in each case won.

It is not about having the ball but how you use it,taking the right options,scoring
in the red zone,and playing the full 80 plus minutes in any conditions.Sometimes
sheer bloody mindeness does win one of matches and Ireland in particular over
the years have proved just that.

emack2

Back to top Go down

What`s it all about? Empty Re: What`s it all about?

Post by GunsGerms Fri 14 Nov 2014, 10:51 am

Ireland's win didnt just boil down to sheer bloody mindedness. Thats a little insulting to be honest Emack. Ireland completely out foxed SA. You could possibly say that our wins v SA in '04 and '07 were feuled by passion and bloody mindedness particularly cause both wins followed some fairly derogatory comments from Jake White however, this years win was much more to do with composure in executing a very well though game plan to near perfection.

When Ireland lost to NZ last year Ireland won the battle of the stats too but that counts for nothing to be honest if you are mugged at the death.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Fri 14 Nov 2014, 1:16 pm

I was talking in generalities not specifics and many many times in my 60 years of following this game
Ireland have been the great spoilers.Playing with the Welsh called "HYWL they have spoiled many a
Grand slam or touring teams record.

Like banshees riding the wind charging down field after a stream of "Garryowens"putting the fear of
god in the enemy.The likes of JackyKyle,Mick English.Heinz 57 et al.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Tue 18 Nov 2014, 9:19 am

....Alfie!

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 10 Dec 2014, 6:41 am

emack2 wrote:I was talking in generalities not specifics and many many times in my 60 years of following this game
Ireland have been the great spoilers.Playing with the Welsh called "HYWL they have spoiled many a
Grand slam or touring teams record.

Like banshees riding the wind charging down field after a stream of "Garryowens"putting the fear of
god in the enemy.The likes of JackyKyle,Mick English.Heinz 57 et al.
How did you rate Jackie Kyle incidentally, Alan?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Wed 10 Dec 2014, 10:40 am

A very great player,part of the great 1948 Ireland side,sadly recently passed from us R.I.P.
Saw little of him tv coverage was almost non existant in those days,and a little before my
time.

Suited the Ireland sides of the day along with there great backrow in 1948 Grand Slam win
up there with the best of his day[or any day]

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 10 Dec 2014, 3:39 pm

MrsP wrote:....Alfie!

Damn you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Beat me to it.

It seems we're maybe in an age group that maybe should pretend we're not old enough to know the reference, which of course I don't................

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Wed 10 Dec 2014, 3:52 pm

SecretFly wrote:
MrsP wrote:....Alfie!

Damn you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Beat me to it.

It seems we're maybe in an age group that maybe should pretend we're not old enough to know the reference, which of course I don't................

Me? Oh no. My Gran told me about it!

Whistle

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Wed 10 Dec 2014, 7:07 pm

emack2 wrote:Last weekend we had two contrasting games by the top 2 teams in the world all the stats.
Possession,field position,etc Said one thing the side on paper had least possession in each case won.

It is not about having the ball but how you use it,taking the right options,scoring
in the red zone,and playing the full 80 plus minutes in any conditions.Sometimes
sheer bloody mindeness does win one of matches and Ireland in particular over
the years have proved just that.

You'll find NZ usually have less than 50% possession and territory every match. Its just efficient use of the ball/ scoreboad. Even the US Eagles led in both at the match end and they lost by 70 od.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down