The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Final World Tour Finals Final Thread

+19
slashermcguirk
Calder106
laverfan
Haddie-nuff
Danny_1982
summerblues
temporary21
kingraf
It Must Be Love
lags72
HM Murdock
hawkeye
sirfredperry
Jahu
bogbrush
Manojchandra
socal1976
Henman Bill
JuliusHMarx
23 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

The Final World Tour Finals Final Thread Empty The Final World Tour Finals Final Thread

Post by JuliusHMarx Sat 15 Nov 2014, 23:34

The other thread will automatically split soon anyway, so here's a new one for the final.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

The Final World Tour Finals Final Thread Empty Re: The Final World Tour Finals Final Thread

Post by Henman Bill Sun 16 Nov 2014, 00:04

Djokovic looks 60/40 favourite, if Federer could play like the semi plus further improvement to first serve % plus some attacking edge it could be more like 50/50.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

The Final World Tour Finals Final Thread Empty Re: The Final World Tour Finals Final Thread

Post by socal1976 Sun 16 Nov 2014, 05:44

I like Novak's chances although both guys are in form. I think it will be a very close 3 set final. Federer has been very clean in terms of errors if he can be aggressive while keeping the error count down and hit a high percentage of first serves he stands a good chance of winning. Novak has to hit his backhand up the line as that shot really hurts federer in their matchups as it puts Roger instantly on the defensive if Novak is routinely going into that corner with quality, depth, and regularity.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Manojchandra Sun 16 Nov 2014, 08:17

Much as I would like Roger Federer to win, I suspect it will be a straight sets win for Novak. Unless of course magic happens.

Manojchandra

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 16 Nov 2014, 08:19

Djokovic, quite easy too. I'd have backed Novak anyway but after last night there's no way Federer is competitive for more than a set or so - the court means points can be kept very long. He'll need to really push the points to be short so look out for the errors.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun 16 Nov 2014, 08:32

Fed probably loses, but was happy to see him fight desperatly last night.

Djoko will return more, but softer balls, Fed will have it easier a little to engage but longer rallies, so lets see how he will shorten the play.

If his serve works, it could be 3 sets, and if Djoko starts again fighting the crowd with ironic stuff, will be hard to concentrate.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sun 16 Nov 2014, 09:35

Astonishing to see an experienced player like Djoko getting, briefly, rattled by the crowd in the semi. Also he failed to see that it was nothing personal their, seeming to, applaud his double fault. They were just wanting Nishi to make a match of it. He won't afford to allow anything like that to happen in the final.
But I reckon Djoko will come through in straight sets.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Sun 16 Nov 2014, 09:46

Whatever happens now Federer will come away feeling like a winner and Djokovic's chip on his shoulder will grow. If Djokovic was upset yesterday with Nishikori on the other side of the net he has no idea what awaits him this afternoon. It will be a nightmare for him. Win or lose Federer will come away with a smile on his face. If Federer loses well it's to be expected because of the timing and quality of his semi and if he wins... well wow!

Sport can be very unfair. But at least it's just the WTF not something important Smile

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 16 Nov 2014, 11:56

Though outdoors it would matter more Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Sun 16 Nov 2014, 12:00

Before last night, I thought it was about 50/50. I think Federer's long and late SF tilts it toward Novak now.

It's far from a foregone outcome though. There isn't a player on tour more capable of taking time away from Novak and generally getting under his skin and frustrating him with his game

If Novak takes the first set, then I'd expect him to go on and win. If Federer takes the first set, things become very interesting.

Overall though, this is one of those rare matches where I'm happy with either outcome. By force of habit I'll probably root for Novak but I wouldn't be disappointed with a Federer win. Having been pipped to the post at Wimbledon and the race for YE#1, it would be harsh on him to fall just short here too.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Sun 16 Nov 2014, 13:40

legendkillarV2 wrote:Though outdoors it would matter more Wink

Indeed it would.

As well as making it an outdoors event, we could also move it to April/May (would suit any players who are in remarkably fine fettle at that time of year, but don't always manage to compete over a full season, ie once the clay swing is over)

Maybe a tad problematic in terms of the current WTF qualification process, but hey I'm sure the ATP could re-jig the tournament calendar for the good of all concerned........ Cool

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 16 Nov 2014, 15:00

All concerned being the important factor Wink

I do believe the Middle East will host it next. With the wealth they can add, will be difficult for London to match.

Makes wonder what the new ATP Business Board's view will be given that there is a predominant American influence in there chin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 16 Nov 2014, 15:03

And that said this story has broke.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/30069643

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun 16 Nov 2014, 15:14

We can expect better clothes then with Hilfiger around.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Sun 16 Nov 2014, 15:20

Interesting comments there from Kermode, he seems keen to keep all options open at this stage.

Reading between the lines, my own hunch is that London will get a further two year extension beyond the current 2015 contract. This will allow more breathing space for detailed evaluation of alternative hosts, after which it will move for a five year term. What IS clear is that it will not switch venue on an annual basis.

Ps Jahu - hopefully in Berdych's case, yes.

Last edited by lags72 on Sun 16 Nov 2014, 15:22; edited 1 time in total

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Sun 16 Nov 2014, 15:21

Julius I've written a preview, add it to the OP if you like it:

-------------------
This is the match the tennis world has been waiting for. The 2014 ATP season will have a fitting finale today, as world number 1 Novak Djokovic takes on world number 2 Roger Federer in the final of the World Tour Finals. With both players on imperious form this week, we can look forward to a tantalising encounter.

Novak Djokovic has not lost a single match since his son was born last month, and after winning in the Paris Masters he is now looking for his 3rd consecutive World Tour Finals trophy. The Serbian's form has been nothing short of magnificent so far this week, and he has only dropped one set in the 4 matches against fellow top 8 players. His first match was a clinical demolition of Marin Cilic. Cilic won the US Open earlier this year, but could only win 2 games as Djokovic stormed to a 6-1 6-1 victory. Next up for Djokovic was Wawrinka, and after the Swiss number 2 beat Djokovic in the Australian Open, some thought he could damage Djokovic in the o2. However after going 0-2 down Djokovic won the next 12 out of 13 games to record a 6-3 6-0 victory. The world number one's stunning movement and precision on groundstrokes was too much for Wawrinka to deal with. The final match of the group stage for Djokovic was Berdych. It was another simple encounter for the world number one, as Djokovic cruised to a 6-2 6-2 win.

Djokovic qualified as first in his group, and was drawn to play Nishikori. Nishikori beat Djokovic in their last match in the US Open, but Djokovic ensured there would be no repeat, winning 6-1 3-6 6-0. Apart from the second set blip, where Novak seemed to let the crowd get on his nerves, the Serb seemed to have the match under control.

Roger Federer has also shown some sublime form this week. Federer came into the event off a strong autumn season, winning both Basel and Shanghai, and was looking to London to add to his trophy cabinet. The Swiss first played Candian youngster Milos Raonic. The first set was easy for the Swiss, as some fantastic returning saw him take it 6-1, but the second set was much closer as some big serving from Raonic took it to a tiebreak. However Raonic completely collapsed in the tiebreak, handing Federer a 7-0 scoreline to take the match 6-1 7-6. Federer's second match was against Kei Nishikori. Kei had beaten Roger in Miami this year, but once again on indoors Federer gained revenge, with an superb display of controlled aggression. Federer won 6-3 6-2. Federer's third match in the group stage was one of the finest he has played this year. Andy Murray was his opponent, but the Scot was a shadow of his former self, totally unable to control Federer's forehand and making too many unforced errors. The match was a rout, as Federer hammered Murray 6-0 6-1.

The world number 2 qualified for the semi-final in first position form his group, and he played fellow Swiss Wawrinka. The semi-final promised fantastic shot-making, and it didn't disappoint; with both Stan and Federer hitting outrageous winners. Federer was slightly too defensive throughout the match and Stan took advantage to dominate the rallies. After an absolute thriller, and 4 match points to Wawrinka, Federer's mental courage and heart proved too much, as he sealed the match 4-6 7-5 7-6.

Prediction: The head to head between the two this year currently lies at 3-2 to Federer. However given how well Djokovic has been playing this week, and the fact Federer's 3 setter may have taken a lot out of the Swiss physically, Djokovic may have a slight advantage. Federer needs his first serve to fire better than it has done in the past 2 matches to have a chance, while Djokovic will look to avoid the mental blips that cost him the second set against Nishikori. The London crowd will be behind Federer, but I suspect Djokovic will upset the crowd and win in 3 sets.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Sun 16 Nov 2014, 15:24

lags72 wrote:
https://www.606v2.com/t56270-what-s-your-favourite-tennis-kit

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 16 Nov 2014, 15:26

lags72 wrote:Interesting comments there from Kermode, he seems keen to keep all options open at this stage.

Reading between the lines, my own hunch is that London will get a further two year extension beyond the current 2015 contract. This will allow more breathing space for detailed evaluation of alternative hosts, after which it will move for a five year term. What IS clear is that it will not switch venue on an annual basis.

My understanding is that Beijing, New York and Abu Dhabi are the 3 contenders. Let's say for arguments sake that London keep it for another 2 years, will they be interested if Federer or Nadal are no longer on the scene? Hard to see if new superstars emerging from this current crop.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun 16 Nov 2014, 16:27

It Must Be Love wrote:
lags72 wrote:
https://www.606v2.com/t56270-what-s-your-favourite-tennis-kit

Berdy has definately has broken all records this year.

I buy H&M stuff sometimes, but Berdys clothes were some kind of beta testing, especially the Violet flowery one picard
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Sun 16 Nov 2014, 17:09

Does anyone know what Wawrinka had to say to Federer's team in the heated exchange during the match last night?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Sun 16 Nov 2014, 17:16

Federer may not play today.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Sun 16 Nov 2014, 17:16

Pretty disappointing end to a disappointing tournament (apart from Fed vs Stan).

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Sun 16 Nov 2014, 17:17

Yep, Federer quits.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 16 Nov 2014, 17:17

It wasn't Federer's team he was talking to, just a member of the crowd who was annoying him the entire match.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 16 Nov 2014, 17:21

Didn't realise Becker was a member of the advisory board. Doesn't represent a conflict of interests?

kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Sun 16 Nov 2014, 17:23

kingraf wrote:Didn't realise Becker was a member of the advisory board. Doesn't represent a conflict of interests?

Advisory board of what ?

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Sun 16 Nov 2014, 17:25

Good news for Federer fans is that he was undefeated this week.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Sun 16 Nov 2014, 17:29

MURRAY VS DJOKOVIC TIME

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Sun 16 Nov 2014, 17:31

Legendkiller always predicted Murray would play Djokovic today, on the OP of his original thread...

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Sun 16 Nov 2014, 17:32

kingraf wrote:It wasn't Federer's team he was talking to, just a member of the crowd who was annoying him the entire match.

Indeed it was.

Earlier in the match, Stan had expressed his annoyance to the umpire about a member(s) of the crowd who had been shouting in support of Fed, at what he (Stan) considered inappropriate times. He seemed to be saying to the Umpire something along the lines of .... you need to put a stop to this, and if you don't take action very soon, then I will.

Things later developed to the point where Stan motioned that he was about to go towards the offender and sort matters out. The Umpire appealed to Stan, clearly implying that this was far from advisable : "Stan, please ...no, no, no, Stan....."

Stan did, reluctantly, take the advice and, to his credit, calmed himself.

It had all the makings of a Cantona-esque moment Shocked Shocked

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 16 Nov 2014, 17:34

Another one of Federer's legion of obnoxious fans who disrespect other champions regularly. I sympathize stan.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Sun 16 Nov 2014, 17:38

Thats a shame, still Andy gets a chance to end the year on a better note, even if only an exho of course.

Thanks Roger... you win and STILL deny me my matrix 3 finale, I have to settle with the horrible matrix 2 finale

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Sun 16 Nov 2014, 17:40

It Must Be Love wrote:
kingraf wrote:Didn't realise Becker was a member of the advisory board. Doesn't represent a conflict of interests?

Advisory board of what ?
If the board has any actual power, then yeah that might well represent a conflict of interest. Surely the super coaches cant be super coaches and be on board taking important tennis decisions

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Sun 16 Nov 2014, 17:42

Only his second (or maybe third ...?) career withdrawal once a tourney is actually underway ...?

Back trouble apparently.

Anyway, Djoko is the WTF champ once again, albeit not quite in the way he would have wished. But he has been scarily impressive en route to the Final.

What state will Federer be in for DC .... chin

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Sun 16 Nov 2014, 17:44

I think its his second. I remember the other one was Doha, he said sorry publicly and then Tsonga and Edberg had a little ding dong exho

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 16 Nov 2014, 17:45

It Must Be Love wrote:Legendkiller always predicted Murray would play Djokovic today, on the OP of his original thread...

Shocked

I didn't expect to be correct Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 16 Nov 2014, 17:46

I can't believe it, Federer must be faking an injury like his nemesis Nadal always fakes injuries to get out of getting a butt kicking from an in form Djokovic.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 16 Nov 2014, 17:47

socal1976 wrote:I can't believe it, Federer must be faking an injury like his nemesis Nadal always fakes injuries to get out of getting a butt kicking from an in form Djokovic.

Well you bet your bottom dollar he won't be pulling out Friday Whistle

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Sun 16 Nov 2014, 17:48

legendkillarV2 wrote:
It Must Be Love wrote:Legendkiller always predicted Murray would play Djokovic today, on the OP of his original thread...

Shocked

I didn't expect to be correct Laugh
Legendkiller, when you think predictions through, as you clearly did here, they happen more often than not Smile

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Sun 16 Nov 2014, 17:50

socal1976 wrote:I can't believe it, Federer must be faking an injury like his nemesis Nadal always fakes injuries to get out of getting a butt kicking from an in form Djokovic.
Sshhhhhh

Here's a picture of Djokovic holding the World Tour Finals 2014 trophy:

The Final World Tour Finals Final Thread Asteri10

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 16 Nov 2014, 17:50

legendkillarV2 wrote:

Well you bet your bottom dollar he won't be pulling out Friday Whistle

Fishy, LK, like those old school F and chips served in newspaper I used to eat in London in the early 80s. Back when it was real cod, and real quality transfats.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Sun 16 Nov 2014, 17:51

socal1976 wrote:Another one of Federer's legion of obnoxious fans who disrespect other champions regularly. I sympathize stan.

I think they're positively dreadful socal.

Almost as bad as those Nishikori fans the other day.

Strange how often it happens at matches involving Novak.

You could remind us (yet again  Wink   ) about how Federer 'went postal' at the USO - or wherever it was - just because Novak's box were being annoyingly loud during the match. I'm sure you sympathise with Federer too.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Sun 16 Nov 2014, 17:52

socal1976 wrote:

Fishy, LK, like those old school F and chips served in newspaper I used to eat in London in the early 80s. Back when it was real cod, and real quality transfats.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 16 Nov 2014, 17:53

What a shame.
So no 7th title for Federer.

He must be in a pretty bad state for him to withdraw.

Doesn't look good for DC final. What a bummer.

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Sun 16 Nov 2014, 17:56

Davis Cup is a really important event, absolutely crucial, so I can see why Fed took the measure he did.

Hopefully he recovers for the DC.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Sun 16 Nov 2014, 17:57

Is the DC final next friday? If it is weve got a bad leg Stan and a bad back Roger.. away in Lille. They better hope Monfils gets picked for the DC

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun 16 Nov 2014, 18:02

Oh nuisance; was looking forward to the match.  Pretty disappointing WTF all in all.  Really only one exciting match (though that one was very exciting), otherwise mostly blowouts, and no final at all.

Since I do not care much for DC, tennis season is pretty much done as far as I am concerned - and on such a bad note.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 16 Nov 2014, 18:03

I like how even his sweaters are now cardigans. Middle age really does sneak up on you.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 16 Nov 2014, 18:04

lags72 wrote:
socal1976 wrote:Another one of Federer's legion of obnoxious fans who disrespect other champions regularly. I sympathize stan.

I think they're positively dreadful socal.

Almost as bad as those Nishikori fans the other day.

Strange how often it happens at matches involving Novak.

You could remind us (yet again  Wink   ) about how Federer 'went postal' at the USO - or wherever it was - just because Novak's box were being annoyingly loud during the match. I'm sure you sympathise with Federer too.

He went postal in Monte Carlo, although he was a giant douche in his post match interview at USO 2011 where for the first time fans saw the real roger and actually booed him. Of course Fed fans can't stand their messiah being showed up so they have to spout venom at all who refuse to bow before the swiss golden calf.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 16 Nov 2014, 18:09

It Must Be Love wrote:
Sshhhhhh

Here's a picture of Djokovic holding the World Tour Finals 2014 trophy:

The Final World Tour Finals Final Thread Asteri10

Can you imagine the collective hissy fit that would occur if Djoko had withdrawn or Nadal. We would hear all this nonsense about how they don't respect the game, the fans, are cheating and playing mind games.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next