The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

One fighter from before your time you wish you could have seen

+15
88Chris05
catchweight
rapidringsroad
Rowley
Dipper Brown
TRUSSMAN66
hogey
milkyboy
adamk
AdamT
Hammersmith harrier
ONETWOFOREVER
KingMonkey
Adam D
mckay1402
19 posters

Go down

One fighter from before your time you wish you could have seen Empty One fighter from before your time you wish you could have seen

Post by mckay1402 Mon 17 Nov 2014, 1:14 pm

Simple really. Who would you love to have seen fight? For me it would have been Benny Lynch. From what I have seen he would have been such good entertainment. Had it not been for the alcohol who knows how good he could have been?
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

One fighter from before your time you wish you could have seen Empty Re: One fighter from before your time you wish you could have seen

Post by Adam D Mon 17 Nov 2014, 1:18 pm

mckay1402 wrote:Simple really.  Who would you love to have seen fight?  For me it would have been Benny Lynch.  From what I have seen he would have been such good entertainment.  Had it not been for the alcohol who knows how good he could have been?

I think that his love of golfing and hanging around Jimmy Tarbuck didnt help

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

One fighter from before your time you wish you could have seen Empty Re: One fighter from before your time you wish you could have seen

Post by KingMonkey Mon 17 Nov 2014, 1:18 pm

I'm pretty sure I'd have hated Ali fwiw

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Mon 17 Nov 2014, 2:00 pm

Hank Armstrong

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon 17 Nov 2014, 2:13 pm

Being greedy would have to be Ezzard Charles and the Black Murderers Row, the talent and frequency they fought each other would ensure entertainment and intrigue.

If it was confined to just one boxer then it would have to be Charley Burley.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Mon 17 Nov 2014, 2:44 pm

Sugar Ray Robinson at welter

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by adamk Mon 17 Nov 2014, 2:50 pm

I would've loved to of seen Edwin Valero fight. never a dull fight with him

adamk

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 17 Nov 2014, 3:29 pm

You write well for a 3 year old Adam

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by adamk Mon 17 Nov 2014, 3:32 pm

haha you know what I mean

adamk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 17 Nov 2014, 3:42 pm

Peter Jackson vs Frank Slavin

Either that or anything involving John L Sullivan so I could scream abuse at him for not being man enough to face Peter.

Robinson at any weight...just to be in the presence of greatness

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Mon 17 Nov 2014, 4:23 pm

Harry Greb

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 17 Nov 2014, 4:29 pm

Gentleman Jim for me............Father of Modern Boxing. Pulled the chicks...Brought style into the game....Larger than life character.........

Back then the Heavy crown was the only one that really mattered..

Loved to have seen him outclassing Peter Jackson ...... Wink

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Mon 17 Nov 2014, 5:02 pm

I love Hagler now but I wonder if his 'nobody loves me routine' would have gotten on my nerves back then. Bit like Froch gets on my nerves now.

Ok, I'll go Tommy Hearns in that case.

I'm old enough to remember seeing an unbeatable Roy Jones, sometimes I think I'd have liked to have been a bit older during his pomp to really appreciate it but then the fact I was so young meant I was in awe of him. Maybe that was key to getting me into boxing.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 17 Nov 2014, 5:05 pm

Yes I was lucky to have got into boxing at the height of the Leonard, Hagler, Hearns, Duran rivalry.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 17 Nov 2014, 5:06 pm

Can only be Burley for me, obvious choice, but my favourite fighter.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Mon 17 Nov 2014, 5:34 pm

You know what they say about meeting you're heros.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Mon 17 Nov 2014, 5:36 pm

That's a top era Truss. I imagine the excitement leading up to and during those fights were a different level. Obviously we can watch it with hindsight and enjoy but watching Hagler and Hearns belt each other across the ring in 'The War', I'd have been on the edge of my seat!

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 17 Nov 2014, 6:10 pm

Dipper Brown wrote:That's a top era Truss. I imagine the excitement leading up to and during those fights were a different level. Obviously we can watch it with hindsight and enjoy but watching Hagler and Hearns belt each other across the ring in 'The War', I'd have been on the edge of my seat!

Hagler-Hearns is the one that really got the attention................After destroying Duran in two.....could Marv take the right hand ???.......

Always be the most exciting run up to a fight I've ever witnessed..

Boy did it deliver !!

It's not so bad over here now..... but when I first came here big fights tended to be shown either the next night or a few days later...

You miss the moment !!..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by rapidringsroad Mon 17 Nov 2014, 8:14 pm

I'd liked to have seen Harry Greb. He must have been a great fighter.119 fights and only 8 losses and from all accounts two of those were disputeable.

rapidringsroad

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 17 Nov 2014, 8:25 pm

Seeing his first fight with Tunney would have been quite something. Gene's only ever loss and according to all reports was an absolute shellacking, even Gene would happily admit Harry almost murdered him that night. His fights with Kid Norfolk would also have been one hell of a sight, Norfolk was one of the few fighters ever as adept in the dark arts as Greb. Not fights for the faint hearted one suspects.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Mon 17 Nov 2014, 8:59 pm

Harry greb has a case for being the best ever after Robinson. Fantastic record. I would have him and Armstrong on par followed by the greatest

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 17 Nov 2014, 9:05 pm

Ali
Robinson
Armstrong
Greb.......
Leonard.....

Top 5..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Mon 17 Nov 2014, 9:22 pm

Robinson
Greb,Armstrong
Ali
Duran (my favorite fighter now so I'm biased.

used to have Ali 2nd but reading old stories and books and I'm a sucker for Greb and you can't not have Armstrong up there with his multidivisional achievements.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon 17 Nov 2014, 9:30 pm

Poor old Ezzard Charles always gets forgotten in these discussions.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Mon 17 Nov 2014, 9:46 pm

Ezzard Charles top ten for sure. Probably have him between Duran and Leonard. Willie pep is another great fighter.

Dam a top 10 list is hard to do. Always forget someone. I have mentioned 8, I could include Sam Langford and Mayweather (the bashing awaits)

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Mon 17 Nov 2014, 10:07 pm

Id love to see Joe Louis around now to breath some life into the cruiserweight division. Mouthwatering punnet of strawberry clashes with the likes of Bellew and Cleverly to look forward to.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Mon 17 Nov 2014, 10:17 pm

Haha imagine Louis vs Bellew, suppose Bellow would still be the puncher Smile

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 17 Nov 2014, 10:26 pm

AdamT wrote:Haha imagine Louis vs Bellew, suppose Bellow would still be the puncher Smile

"And it's as simple as that."

Bit of an obvious example and one that a couple of people have already picked, but in terms of fighters who I've literally seen nothing of, it's got to be Greb. It's crazy that there's no (available) footage of someone who ranks so highly in the lists of greats, regardless of how long ago he peaked. Got to be worth seeing how he put together such an unbelievable record.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon 17 Nov 2014, 11:03 pm

I would love to see his first fight with Tunney, be interesting to see how somebody who going by his record wasn't a big puncher beat the iron chinned Tunney almost into submission.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by md_fan Thu 20 Nov 2014, 1:02 am

Benny Lynch for me too. My Dad was an amateur boxer in the 30's and his good friend Jim Brady from Dundee fought Benny Lynch 4 times between 1933 and 1934. He held Benny to a draw in one fight which was some achievement. It's heartbreaking to know that Benny died from complications with malnutrition and alcoholism - such a waste at only 33 years old.

md_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Thu 20 Nov 2014, 1:07 am

This is a tough one as I can think of three fighters I would have liked to have seen live. They are Jack Johnson, Henry Armstrong and Joe Louis.

But if it's only one I can choose, then it's going to be Jack Johnson. I would have loved to have been in the crowd when he beat James J. Jefferies.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 20 Nov 2014, 10:11 am

Maybe Dempsey for me - or Stan Ketchel.

A modern fighter would be Barry McGuigan. Oh to have been there for his most famous nights in Belfast.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by theanimal316 Thu 20 Nov 2014, 1:07 pm

Good shout Haz with McGuigan, my uncles used to tell stories of going to his fights at the Kings Hall, sounded epic.

I would love to have been in the arena when Tyson was fighting in the late 80s during his rise. I imagine there would have been a real buzz around the arena.

theanimal316

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 20 Nov 2014, 7:30 pm

theanimal316 wrote:Good shout Haz with McGuigan, my uncles used to tell stories of going to his fights at the Kings Hall, sounded epic.

I would love to have been in the arena when Tyson was fighting in the late 80s during his rise.  I imagine there would have been a real buzz around the arena.

A Tyson fight would have been something else.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down