The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: No Tournaments for Six Weeks: Notes from the Ballwasher

+10
pedro
robopz
incontinentia
kwinigolfer
GPB
McLaren
Shotrock
hend085
Bob_the_Job
super_realist
14 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: No Tournaments for Six Weeks: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty PGA Tour: No Tournaments for Six Weeks: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:33 am

First topic message reminder :

1).Not much to write about so I won't write it. Fine win for Brooks Koepka though, and difficult not to agree with "sirbenson" that he's a good shout for The Masters, especially if he can putt like he did last Sunday.
He'd wobbled on two or three Sundays previously when in serious back-nine contention. Not this time though. Impressive display.
Good to see Poulter snap out of his year-long funk - and now he has Greg Norman's offer of a tip: "Mate noticed something in your putting when I watched you this week. Easy fix." That's good.  

2).The broadcasters have been reminding us that four of last autumn's six PGA Tournament winners qualified for the Tour Championship: Walker, Kirk, Simpson and Johnson, whilst English and Moore were close as well.
Not sure that all of Bae, Ben Martin, Streb, Ryan Moore (again), Bubba, Taylor and Charley Hoffman will have the same success, but these are good tournaments with far-reaching rewards. All winners will be exempt thru the 2016/2017 season, at least, have dates at the TOC, Players and PGA, while Billy Payne will be dropping a line to all except Nick Taylor (because his win was "opposite field").
Amazing iron shots from Hoffman on his final nine holes last Sunday - always regarded as a marvellous iron player and certainly showed it in Mexico.  

3).It's repetitive to scribble on about the futility of the autumnal efforts by Brian Davis and Harrington, nine more months for that, but several British golfers got themselves off to a good start; Knox, Laird and Westwood already have at least a third of the points needed for the Top 125, and McDowell's not far behind. We can only hope that Poulter's recent form is not a flash in the pan, but imagine Casey and Donald should be revising their Tour schedules - both likely to be way behind come late February if they keep to their normal schedules.
South African Richard Sterne qualified for the Tour via the web.com Finals, made no cuts and no money and is dead last in the "reshuffle", meaning starts for Richie will be few and very far between.  

4).Lots of silly season notes: Dustin Johnson is threatening to return for San Diego, Phil's spending time in the gym, Tiger's p1ssed off with an octogenarian columnist, Phil's lost weight, Dustin won't return until Paulina has their(?) baby or until Wayne says he can, Phil's taken a job as assistant golf coach at Arizona State (terrible photos of him in ghastly calf-length white shorts), Tiger's hitting balls, etc, etc.
Who cares?!?! Still interested in Vijay's litigation against the Tour though; it's only been going on for 18 months and no sign of a court date.

5).And it's Q-School week.
Final Stage for Champions Tour Q-School in aptly named Winter Gardens in Florida. Suffice to say the only British competitors, Golding & Barry Lane, finished Round 1 outside the Top 50.

And Stage 2 of web.com Q-School concludes this week - no significant European Tour entrants involved. In a couple of weeks we'll know if any sail over for Final Stage.
They certainly didn't last year and can't see why this year should be any different. Where's the incentive unless they want to waste a year of their career on something that's purely speculative - worst case is they'd get injured and enter 2016 with no status anywhere?
Best case is that they stay home, play well in Majors and WGC's when they earn the chance, and try to follow in the footsteps of Jamie Donaldson and Victor Dubuisson. Hopefully the Ryder Cup hangovers for both will wash away in the New Year. Mine too.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: No Tournaments for Six Weeks: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour: No Tournaments for Six Weeks: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by McLaren Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:57 pm

Bob_the_Job wrote:
McLaren wrote:bob

Just don't like the cut of his jib.

Ok. Good to know.

He has a touch of the Keegan bradleys about him.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: No Tournaments for Six Weeks: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour: No Tournaments for Six Weeks: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:18 pm

Mac,
I think you're way off base.
I seriously doubt that Northwestern has the sort of phoney class loads you might have read about in reference to degree warehouses.

And, if he spent a good deal of time on golfcourses in warmer climes, he would still have had to shoulder his academic workload and his lifestyle would likely be far more regimented than he might expect at home.

Certainly not for everyone and why you harp on about it, gawd only knows.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:22 pm

Kwini

Does Bradly not give you the creeps?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:31 pm

I think my father-in-law would say he looks a little light in his loafers, but seems a good guy to me. Living the high life and having a good time.
He seems fiercely competitive and rah-rah USA so would also have thought he was mentally wounded by the Ryder Cup experience more than anyone else. It'll be interesting to see how he rebounds.
He also does the occasional charitable event in our neck of the woods so, despite that very weird pre-shot foreplay, I kinda like him.

What's that got to do with Matty Fitz?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:52 pm

Not to stray too far off topic ... but as long as Upstate NY was part of this thread ... please excuse this diversion. Even if you've experienced a lot of heavy snowfall, you'll find these pictures alarming:

http://www.countryliving.com/outdoor/outdoor-living/buffalo-snowstorm-social-media-photos?src=spr_FBPAGE&spr_id=1453_113874002

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:07 pm

There must be a million WNY'ers who wish it would stay frozen for three months. But NO! Rain on the way after another 2-3 feet of snow.
If only the resultant water could somehow be channelled to California.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:04 am

kwinigolfer wrote:I think my father-in-law would say he looks a little light in his loafers, but seems a good guy to me.
If Keegan is light in the loafers (which I doubt),,,, at least he's chosen himself one helluva fine "beard".... http://www.examiner.com/slideshow/hot-photos-of-jillian-stacey-the-girlfriend-of-pga-golfer-keegan-bradley-2014

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:26 am

Tasty round in progress from RCB at the DP-WTC of the R2D. That boy can go low when he wants to. Final groups teeing off shortly.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:00 am

2 shot swing on the first hole between Lowry and McIlroy, birdie for Mac bogey for Billy. They are good mates but I'd say Shane is feeling the pressure. I think Rory has been building a Tiger-like intimidation factor in recent times with his impeccable play and closing out of Majors.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:05 am

Big Fat Shane is certainly knocking on the door a lot more regularly these days. He's definitely got the talent, and as much as I laugh at his repulsive 50 year old physique, he's got most of the skills.

Does he want to be a top player or is he happy making a good living with decent finishes?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:22 am

I think he's ambitious super, just needs to become more comfortable in and around the lead on the weekends. Still only 27.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:33 am

Stone or Years?

Needs to look at the example of other top golfers taking the physical aspect seriously.

He'll never be a McIlroy, but he could slim down and give himself that edge he's lacking. He's still 3 stone over weight, imagine getting up, and bolting 3 stone around your waist on the first tee and expecting it not to affect you.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:54 am

Leaders very tightly grouped. Time someone made a run for it - Rory!!
Stenson looking threatening . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:08 am

I'm afraid Shane will only make a run for the buffet.... Run cake

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:33 am

Hole in one for fatty shane. cake all round.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:35 am

HOLE IN ONE FOR LOWRY!!!!!!

Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo thumbsup OK clap cake cake guinness egg notworthy PGA Tour: No Tournaments for Six Weeks: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 3602195817 Leprechaun Leprechaun Leprechaun Leprechaun Leprechaun Leprechaun
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:36 am

Big Shane just drained that ball like a piece of pie. cake

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:03 pm

Anyone know what the prize is??
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:59 pm

Shots thrown away by Rory, he needs to get his head back in the game if he's to win this. Can't be giving Stenson any sort of decent lead.

Spieth playing well in Japan after hibernating all summer.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:50 pm

More from Japan where Hideki Matsuyama leads Spieth by one stroke.
Further down the field lies Webb Simpson, only notable for the reports that he's using a normal-length putter.

I'm expecting college team-mates Clark and Pettersson to be the last hold-outs and see them strive mightily to win tournaments and mucho bucks to enhance their exemption eligibilities going forward, to give them some sort of safety net while they try to figure out life after anchoring.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:13 pm

Champions Tour Q-School concludes with no Europeans anywhere close to scoring a Card - Switzerland's Andre Bossert best finisher but all that gets you is a return trip to Geneva.
New Zealand's Grant Waite, better known these days as a swing and short-game guru, is the only PGA Tour Past Champion among the five automatic qualifiers.
Cesar Monasterio, who butchered his final three holes when just one bogey would have earned him a card, salvages a distant conditional card but reality is that this is more trouble than it's worth - stay in Europe Cesar.
Three Canadians in the Top Ten. Golding the only surviving British golfer. T57.
A Senior Ryder Cup would only be worth playing if the Teams were 2-a-side.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:28 pm

This would probably be the best 3 wood davie could ever hope to hit.

Spoiler:

Not so great for Rory McIlroy.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:35 pm

No mine only go half that distance Rolling Eyes

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:43 pm

Didn't Furyk once hit a drive out of the heel that only went about 100 yards?

I think the goose totally duffed it as well.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:54 pm

I once saw (on TV) Jason Day n0b a drive about 30 yards close to a bush. He kept driver in his hand and I think smashed the second shot onto or close to the green

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:08 pm

I saw Davis Love hit a drive about 40 yards (in person, and second round of a tournament).

I am still not sure that Rory is human, but this points to that possibility.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:55 am

I saw Eduardo Romero top a driver about 50 yards at St. A.

You'd be surprised how pro bad golfers can be when there isn't a director there hand picking the best shots to show.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:35 pm

Looks like Hideki and Jordan are going to fight it out in Japan for the Dunlop Phoenix.

Hideki has a 2 shot lead over 2nd place Jordan.

==========

Westwood has played 4 straight weeks (Malaysia, China, Turkey, Dubai) and I see he is playing in the Nedbank in 2 weeks and Thailand in 3 weeks in the Thailand Golf Championship.  I wonder if he is coming for American Thanksgiving.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:08 pm

Lee had better chalk up a win pretty soon - weeks like this one make one think he's losing the plot.
Don't know why he would come to Florida for Thanksgiving . . . . . Travel much easier for London, even Worksop.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:23 pm

Richie Ramsay is such a slow golfer!

Stenson continues to impress, if he doesn't win a major at least one in his career I would be very surprised.

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:27 pm

The slowest golfer on tour I have ever seen for what it's worth! Play quicker!

It defo affected Thorbjorn yesterday and I imagine it affected the world's worst golfer with 4 majors.

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:55 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Lee had better chalk up a win pretty soon - weeks like this one make one think he's losing the plot.
Don't know why he would come to Florida for Thanksgiving . . . . . Travel much easier for London, even Worksop.

Lee's Kids are going to school in South Florida! Smile Not Worksop.

Unless he turns it around Lee will be falling out of the Top 50 sooner rather than later and missing out on the Cadillac, and perhaps even the MatchPlay.

He already has a Masters invite sewn up and exempt into the O.C., BS and PGA. but he needs the Cadillac and Matchplay because they are co-sanctioned.

Not sure of his plans for early next year, whether he plans on going to the Middle East or play some events on the West Coast. (or both). But I would imagine he will be ready to take a couple months off after the Kuala Lampur-Shanghai-Turkey-Dubai-Off-South Africa-Thailand stretch.

=======================

It looks like now that Poulter has got his schedule secured for 2015, he is mailing it in. I heard he is playing a couple of PGAT events early next year. Sony and Humana I think.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:20 pm

Don't they get school off T'giving week in Florida?
Westwood needs to make his usual hay at NEDBank.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:54 pm

Probably Thu-Fri for T-Giving. Early dismissal on Wed maybe.

New coach for Woods.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:22 pm

Maybe Lee needs some airline miles to renew his frequent flyer status.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:29 pm

GPB wrote:
New coach for Woods.
Not Gary Player?

The new guy has a Master in Biomechanics(!) Maybe he should then start by telling Tiger not to look or act like Robocop.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:31 pm

Is Woods' new coach any relation to Perry?
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:06 pm

GC mentioned Como  also works with Aaron Baddeley & Immelman they said... with the addition of Woods... it appears he has a thing for coaching players with double consonants or vowels in their name...

I have no clue if this Como guy will be good for TW or not, but hope so. But I knew it would be someone... and fairly soon.

Bottom line: the old "go it alone and figure it out himself" notion was never gonna fly with TW, any more than it flies with any of the other great players of this era.. There just too much to be gained from the proper use of quality instruction and incorporation of technology today to not take advantage of it.

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:34 pm

pedro wrote:Maybe Lee needs some airline miles to renew his frequent flyer status.

He missed a golden opportunity by not play the Aussie Open next week. I think it is sponsored by an airline! Air Emirates.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:42 pm

robopz wrote:GC mentioned Como  also works with Aaron Baddeley & Immelman they said... with the addition of Woods... it appears he has a thing for coaching players with double consonants or vowels in their name...

I have no clue if this Como guy will be good for TW or not, but hope so. But I knew it would be someone... and fairly soon.

Bottom line: the old "go it alone and figure it out himself" notion was never gonna fly with TW, any more than it flies with any of the other great players of this era.. There just too much to be gained from the proper use of quality instruction and incorporation of technology today to not take advantage of it.

Baddeley and Immelman? Not a lot of good results there!

Baddeley used to be with a Stack and Tilt guru IIRC.

One of Woods' former coaches fired a cannon from the ship

Hank Haney wrote:Expectations are not Super High at this point.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:40 am

GPB wrote:
robopz wrote:GC mentioned Como  also works with Aaron Baddeley & Immelman they said... with the addition of Woods... it appears he has a thing for coaching players with double consonants or vowels in their name...

Baddeley and Immelman?  Not a lot of good results there!

Baddeley used to be with a Stack and Tilt guru IIRC.

One of Woods' former coaches fired a cannon from the ship

Hank Haney wrote:Expectations are not Super High at this point.
Everybody's entitled to their opinion, but just like its been for all those that have been right and wrong about his last comeback... it don't mean spit... all that matters is results.. or lack thereof....

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:42 am

Tiger would do alright with Muffin The Mule as swing coach; he needs a medical doctor that he's confident in.

Hideki marches on. Looks like Rory will need some help.
Lowry starting to belly up to the bar. Masters ticket in his grasp?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:27 am

Great job by Shane Lowry today, finally breaks the top 50 clap clap

Stenson seems to be losing it at the moment.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:39 am

guinness

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:52 am

"Rory will need some help."
Rory's getting some help.
Anyone's game right now.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:28 pm

they sure made it exiting to the end..... didn't they?

Nice finish by Stenson..... but Rafa... OUCH

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:44 pm

Springboard to Major Championships for Henrik.
Four Ryder Cuppers in the Top 4 - the way it's supposed to be.
Hate to see Rafa's demise; he'd been playing so well.

And Lowry can start his research on those pimento cheese sarnies we hear so much about.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:58 pm

Great to watch a golf tournament live and have a full day open ahead. (Perhaps the US PGA could change to suit my preferences?)

I recall making a charity bet (with Mysti I think) about Harrington having more majors than Rose, Westwood and Donald combined. Not thinking Donald or Westwood will be hoisting major hardware anytime soon, but Rose certainly could. He (and of course Rory) seems to simply expect more out of his game. Some recovery shot Rose played.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:42 pm

Good job by Lowry but his Masters invite is vulnerable.  My projections have him 47th, just barely ahead of Streelman.  

Still some tournaments yet to play that could jeopardize his top 50 rating.  Aussie Open, Aussie PGA, Thailand Golf Championship, Nedbank, Alfred Dunhill Championship, and two tournaments in Japan.

I like his chances, but he is still vulnerable if the stars align.  

New OWGR thread will be opened soon.

Last edited by GPB on Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:13 pm

Cheers GPB,
I wonder if it's too late for Lowry to get into the NEDBank field?

I see Comellor Iwata had another fine finish . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next