Couple fined £100 for leaving bad review

Go down

Couple fined £100 for leaving bad review Empty Couple fined £100 for leaving bad review

Post by Hero on Wed 19 Nov 2014, 7:40 pm

A couple say they have been "fined" £100 by a Blackpool hotel for leaving critical comments on travel review website Trip Advisor.

Tony and Jan Jenkinson posted the negative comment after being unimpressed with the one night they spent at the Broadway Hotel.

The couple, from Whitehaven, later found £100 charged to their credit card. The hotel said its policy was to charge for "bad" reviews.

Trading Standards are investigating.

They said they only chose the hotel because it had a car park and paid £36 for the double room.

Retired van driver Mr Jenkinson, 63, said the details of the charge were in the booking documents, but his wife did not have her glasses on and signed it without reading the small print.

Mr Jenkinson said he intended to fight the charge, adding: "Annoyed isn't strong enough for how I feel about this, what happened to freedom of speech?

"Everybody we have spoken to says they (the hotel) are not allowed to do this."

John Greenbank, north trading standards area manager, said it was a "novel" way to prevent bad reviews.

'Get service right'
He said: "I have worked for trading standards for many years and have never seen anything like this.

"The hotel management clearly thinks they have come up with a novel way to prevent bad reviews, however we believe this could be deemed an unfair trading practice."

The couple have sought a refund via their credit card company.

Councillor John McCreesh, cabinet member for trading standards, said: "Customers need to be free to be honest about the service they're getting.

"Other customers depend upon it. Hotel owners should focus on getting their service right rather than shutting down aggrieved customers with threats and fines.

"People should have the right to vent their disappointment if a hotel stay did not meet their expectations and should not be prevented from having their say."

----

For me the clue it was going to be a crap hotel was that it was in Blackpool.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Couple fined £100 for leaving bad review Empty Re: Couple fined £100 for leaving bad review

Post by Silentban on Thu 20 Nov 2014, 9:31 am

Saw pictures of the place in the paper... grotty.

Why stay the night somewhere that is so awful?!

Silentban

Back to top Go down

Couple fined £100 for leaving bad review Empty Re: Couple fined £100 for leaving bad review

Post by Guest on Thu 20 Nov 2014, 12:25 pm

It had a car park and was £36? So does the f*cking Travelodge over the road from the football club...and when you complain, they apologise and put it right.

No doubt these greedy c*nts will be seeking compensation for emotional distress and then decide to sp*nk their payout away on a two week luxury break to BLACKPOOL

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero on Thu 20 Nov 2014, 12:36 pm

For my sins I had my stag weekend in Blackpool, the highlight of which was a club in which the dancefloor on the 2nd floor was made of reinforced glass.
All the ladies (in the loosest possible sense) went upstairs, all the blokes stayed downstairs...

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest on Thu 20 Nov 2014, 12:49 pm

I went on my mates stag do in Blackpool 2 years ago, fri-sun,(should have been till the monday, long old coach journey).

Actually enjoyed the place.
Went to a club on the saturday night and the nightclub we went to was full of amazing looking woman(cant remember the name, was near the tower).

One of my mates was desperate to get laid, he went back early to in his words 'prepare', couple of us came back to the place we were staying at, with what must have been the 2 least attractive woman in Blackpool.

Needless to say he wasn't happy when he saw them.
(he wanted me to bring him back a gooden)
On the saturday I went over to Blackburn to watch the Villa play.

Was in Blackpool in May, with the mrs, our son, her brother, his girlfriend and their son.

Was a good time.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 20 Nov 2014, 1:40 pm

My wife's from Lancashire ( I know but I love her) so she's grown up with Blackpool as her childhood holiday destination (the endless "Which is worse...Scarborough or Blackpool?" rows in our house, I tell ya....anyway)

All I'll say about Blackpool is that it's a f*cking poor do when I look like the most sophisticated and intelligent person there. (the tourist board have used this for Summer Season 2015 slogan)

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 on Fri 21 Nov 2014, 9:54 am

Been to Blackpool once...........Took little Robbie there for the day as a treat about ten years ago......

He's hated me ever since !! Sad

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 on Fri 21 Nov 2014, 9:58 am

Trading standards got involved and this has now been rescinded, I understand.

Probably, quite rightly, because it ended up generating shocking PR for the hotel.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half on Fri 21 Nov 2014, 10:37 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:Trading standards got involved and this has now been rescinded, I understand.

Probably, quite rightly, because it ended up generating shocking PR for the hotel.

Not only was it terrible PR for the hotel, but was almost certainly illegal. Just because the owners put something in to a document that appears to be a contract does not mean that they were within the law with regard to business practices.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 on Fri 21 Nov 2014, 11:01 am

Yeh, you've the Unfair Contract Terms Act to contend with, like what Foxtons got drawn over hot coals for trying to shaft customers.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 on Fri 21 Nov 2014, 11:11 am

Only a cheap hotel..You pay for what you get......

Not easy to find accomodation in the holiday season at these seaside resorts......

I imagine they'll be okay.....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf on Fri 21 Nov 2014, 11:18 am

Pretty bad going. The couple would have been one bad review on the Internet, with about a 100 billion other sites and pages. Must have had a rather small audience. Now I know never to visit the Broadway Hotel if by some cruel twist of fate I end up in Blackpool
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 on Fri 21 Nov 2014, 11:24 am

Whilst I disagree with the overcharging..........How many reviews are by  customers who tell these hoteliers they've had a great time only to eviscerate them later ????..It's the height of cowardice....

If I've had a problem I've always encouraged Red to address our concern to the proprietor...She's got a better chin than Me !! Couple fined £100 for leaving bad review 3559488474

Seriously whatever happened to jaw jaw and not war war...

These reviews aren't regulated.............You could have plenty of vindictive swines staying.....People have to earn a living.

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Fri 21 Nov 2014, 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ..)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf on Fri 21 Nov 2014, 12:28 pm

Generally though, there's a large number of people who would have given these reviews, so the law of averages dictates that as a rule, the reviews aren't far from the reality. The only possible exceptions are hotels which try to expressly ban reviews, as the people who had a good time aren't going to bother, while only those who had an absolute Poopie will feel aggrieved enough to review. Can't really feel sorry for them as it's a product of their policy. I've never given a place I've stayed at a bad review online, as that requires energy and stuff.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc on Fri 21 Nov 2014, 3:04 pm

It's Blackpool, you should be happy if you've got a clean bed and a working toilet. For anyone thinking of going on a stag do/birthday etc. try and find one of the rare ones with an all night bar (residents only,) and your laughing, you don't have to use the manky rooms.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 on Fri 21 Nov 2014, 3:22 pm

I'd have to have some friends to go on a Stag do.....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 21 Nov 2014, 3:34 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I'd have to have some friends to go on a Stag do.....
You'd also have to find a woman mad/desperate/masochistic enough to marry you

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 on Fri 21 Nov 2014, 3:47 pm

Your Mrs turned me down.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 21 Nov 2014, 4:14 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Your Mrs turned me down.
What exquisite taste that woman has

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 on Fri 21 Nov 2014, 4:38 pm

I'm thinking of getting married again.........

Some peace and quiet in Strangeways is just what I need.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 21 Nov 2014, 4:47 pm

Probably have more sex in there as well

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 on Fri 21 Nov 2014, 4:52 pm

DAVE667 wrote:Probably have more sex in there as well

I'm definitely getting married again !! thumbsup

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum