The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

+29
I'm never wrong
Plunky
barragan
skiddy
gaelgowfer
raycastleunited
BlueCoverman
kwinigolfer
super_realist
McLaren
incontinentia
1GrumpyGolfer
golfermartin
JAS
lorus59
Nay
SmithersJones
westisbest
GunsGerms
pedro
MustPuttBetter
Davie
Mad for Chelsea
ralphjohn69
Bob_the_Job
navyblueshorts
beninho
Roller_Coaster
Shotrock
33 posters

Page 3 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 3 Empty Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 17 Nov 2014, 10:43 pm

First topic message reminder :

Sr,
1).Correct. Wonderful is right. Though in the American order of things behind the NFL, College Football, High School Football, NBA, College B'ball.
2).Not much of a market: 21,000 per home game.
3).But no other nations pay their players a fraction of this sort of bounty. He'll probably end up using PED's, just like his predecessor as highest paid.
Ridiculous money!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by GunsGerms Fri 21 Nov 2014, 1:46 pm

Personally I find Bob Geldof much more annoying. Stop whinging and have a shower Bob.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist Fri 21 Nov 2014, 1:50 pm

GunsGerms wrote:Personally I find Bob Geldof much more annoying. Stop whinging and have a shower Bob.

Yeah, he's also a p rick.

Can say I find the whole band aid nonsense really annoying. Garbage song when it first came out, worse now.

I've heard Bono fell off his bike because he was looking over his shoulder to see if the sun actually shone out of his arse.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 21 Nov 2014, 2:00 pm

The thing with band aid is that you know the same people buying the record are voting for UKIP, a party committed to cutting international aid. Work that one out?

If however, Geldof can force politicians hands into helping with the ebola crisis, then I guess we can't really complain too much.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Fri 21 Nov 2014, 2:02 pm

GunsGerms wrote:Personally I find Bob Geldof much more annoying. Stop whinging and have a shower Bob.
or a decent haircut. Like Eric Cartman I can't stand hippies, and Bob is the king of hippies.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 21 Nov 2014, 2:05 pm

Bob cant be a hippy because he went to Blackrock. Though he did get bullied for being crap at rugby and having the middle name Zenon. Maybe thats why he is still miserable?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 21 Nov 2014, 2:14 pm

Mac, you are definitely losing it.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 21 Nov 2014, 2:36 pm

super_realist wrote:Mac, you are definitely losing it.

What is that supposed to mean?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 21 Nov 2014, 2:52 pm

I'm not sure how you make the correlation between sales of the record and UKIP, looks more like a tenuous attempt to do some UKIP bashing.

I'm not sure why you need to. They've only got 2 MP's and they do enough to shoot themselves in the foot.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 21 Nov 2014, 3:05 pm

super_realist wrote:...I've heard Bono fell off his bike because he was looking over his shoulder to see if the sun actually shone out of his arse.
Laugh Laugh
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Nay Fri 21 Nov 2014, 6:25 pm

Anyone know why a GPS watch has to be waterproof up to 50m.

seems like an unwise shot choice, if you have to use it that deep in a lake.

Nay

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Mon 24 Nov 2014, 10:05 am

I guess it's time to bring up SPOTY again now that Lewis Hamilton has won the F1 world championship. Between him and Rory I guess. Hamilton only had one person with the tool (can't say ability) to beat him so surely it has to be McIlroy.

Last edited by lorus59 on Mon 24 Nov 2014, 11:00 am; edited 1 time in total

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 24 Nov 2014, 10:12 am

Can't see the fuss about Hamilton's win, he won a two horse race largely the result of being fortunate enough to be in a team which won a small engineering competition between just a few small teams, big bloody deal.

Got to be McIlroy for SPOTY because his achievements amount to far more than being  a bumfluffed haired moron who was fortunate to win a coin toss between two possible contenders to win the "world" championship like Hamilton.

Sadly, the F1 rabble are probably likely to vote for Hamilton in their droves.

It has been a truly wretched year for British sport though, I doubt I'll watch the show as there aren't any highlights really worth reviewing.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon 24 Nov 2014, 10:46 am

If Rory competes for Ireland in the Olympics, shouldn't he get the overseas award? Whistle

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Mon 24 Nov 2014, 11:07 am

SPOTY, has become a bit rubbish over the years anyway. I would say it should be between Mcilroy and Hamilton. I would go with Hamilton, for his total domination over the season. Anyone that puts their life on the line in the name of sport, have to be a bit not right in the head. But he has been very impressive this year. F1 is all about the car, but it still needs to be driven to his peak performance, some can and some cannot. Hamilton can.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 24 Nov 2014, 11:13 am

Whether you put your life on the line is irrelevant in my opinion, can other sports be devalued because they don't have a life threatening element?

Can't stand the whole team Hamilton nonsense.

Agreed, SPOTY is now shiversome. Been going downhill for years but it hit an all time low with the Horsey Philips gerrymandering and the laughable Ryan Giggs award.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 24 Nov 2014, 11:26 am

Super

Would you ever have the humility to accept you don't understand something, or lack the information to make a judgement on it?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 24 Nov 2014, 11:32 am

Mac, just because you like F1 doesn't mean it doesn't lack competition, and isn't more of an engineering competition.

When was the last time it was anything other than a coin toss?

When was the last time 3 or 4 driver could win it?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 24 Nov 2014, 11:36 am

Why would an engineering competition be an issue for you?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 24 Nov 2014, 11:40 am

Isn't it obvious Mac,
F1 is about as far from a level playing field as you could get in sport. At best it comes down to two teams, in recent years it's been one team and a coin toss between two drivers from that one team. Might as well not bother having the other teams in it. More boring than the SPL

To me, it's just interesting enough to be considered an achievement. All it is an admission Hamilton is the best of two drivers, big bloody deal.

Hardly an achievement worthy of an award.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 24 Nov 2014, 11:51 am

beninho wrote:SPOTY, has become a bit rubbish over the years anyway. I would say it should be between Mcilroy and Hamilton. I would go with Hamilton, for his total domination over the season. Anyone that puts their life on the line in the name of sport, have to be a bit not right in the head. But he has been very impressive this year. F1 is all about the car, but it still needs to be driven to his peak performance, some can and some cannot. Hamilton can.    
Eh? As S_R said, it was a 2-horse race and one of the most yawn-inducing of recent times. Big deal. You could have pared one from loads as F1 winner this year if they'd have been in the Mercedes.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Mon 24 Nov 2014, 12:10 pm

F1 is an odd example of a sport where TV really doesn't do it justice, doing well on TV. The big wide open tracks with run off areas and acres of gravel traps really prevent a TV viewer from getting a proper feel for the speeds and forces involved. It's also a "sport" where the equipment you use has the biggest impact on relative performance by far.

As for SPOTY and that whole saga..couldn't care less.
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 24 Nov 2014, 12:15 pm

If putting one's "life on the line" is a criteria for SPOTY, I can think of a lot more professions than mere motor sports that should come in for consideration.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Mon 24 Nov 2014, 12:17 pm

I like F1, yep it was between two drivers, who dominated the season, Hamilton won it by being better then his teammate. But in F1 this has pretty much always been the case, its the best car and driver combined that wins the title. Is Hamilton the best driver on the grid, Its hard to say, and no one will ever know, because it is not a sport when they will all race the same machines. I think he has done well to win the title and beat whoever he came up against. I cannot think of any top level sport played on a level playing field, its all about the richest, or who can afford the best players. F1 is a bit love it or hate it. I love it though.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 24 Nov 2014, 12:31 pm

beninho wrote:I like F1, yep it was between two drivers, who dominated the season, Hamilton won it by being better then his teammate. But in F1 this has pretty much always been the case, its the best car and driver combined that wins the title. Is Hamilton the best driver on the grid, Its hard to say, and no one will ever know, because it is not a sport when they will all race the same machines. I think he has done well to win the title and beat whoever he came up against. I cannot think of any top level sport played on a level playing field, its all about the richest, or who can afford the best players. F1 is a bit love it or hate it. I love it though.

No sport is a level playing field as everyone has different levels of talent, however the gap between equipment in F1 and available equipment in the other sports is a chasm.

In tennis, golf, football, rugby, cricket, skiing, running, boxing, athletics, cycling, everyone has exactly the same access to whatever equipment suits them best. A rival team cannot buy another F1 car to match the current leaders.

F1 is entirely dependent on who you drive for. Would Hamilton have won in Vettels car, or a Marrusia or Catherham? Course he wouldn't.

It's why I don't consider F1/Motor Sport a sport, and instead refer to it as an engineering competition. It has sporting elements to it but these are secondary, but by and large the winning driver benefits from being in the car which no one else (other than his team mate) has and the rest of the drivers are effectively not competitive by having a car that is hopeless.
It's a bit like an able bodied person competing in the Special Olympics to me.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Mon 24 Nov 2014, 12:54 pm

You do not have to consider it a sport. That is your opinion, strange though it is. Motor Sport is clearly a sport, in F1 it is a race pure and simple. The quickest car/driver wins. Nothing given for artistry, just first past the post. Yep the car is important, but you can have a great car and still not win, as Mark Webber proved for a few years. I dont like sports that are judged in any way and points given.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 24 Nov 2014, 1:01 pm

I don't like sports that are judged either, but F1 is like a handicap race, except the best cars are given an even greater advantage by starting near the front instead of given extra weight like a horse race to even it out.

It's probably the least sporting "sport" you could get.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Mon 24 Nov 2014, 1:10 pm

But part of the sport is building a car. The fact that a team built a better car then the rest should not be held against them. The whole competition is built around building a car within the regulations, which are pushed as far as possible, and then getting as good a driver as you can in that car. Its no different to Chelsea building a squad of top class players and then romping the league, as they will do this year. Or Toulon doing the same in rugby. It can get boring, but i do not think this year has been as between the two drivers it has been very close, with some good racing. Compared to the two years when Vettell just romped it without a challenge this has been very exciting. But its just a well done to Merc for building a car so much better then the rest. Hopefully next year the other teams will be a bit closer.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 24 Nov 2014, 1:18 pm

I'm aware that people are into different things for different reasons, I just don't like F1, to me it's boring, fairly predictable in that you know which team is going to win after a few races.

My main point is that Hamilton is getting fellated for being the best driver out of two drivers where the rest can't hope to compete as if this is something laudable.

It will probably be someone else chance to call heads or tails next year.

Someone has to win, but it's not by being the best driver, it's got so much more to do with being fortunate enough to be in the best technical team and being better than just one other person.

So if Hamilton wins SPOTY, it's because he performed better than Nico Roseberg, and that's it. Absurd.

Be like giving Oxford the Team award for beating Cambridge in the Boat Race. Hardly remarkable given they only had one team to beat.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 24 Nov 2014, 1:35 pm

beninho wrote:But part of the sport is building a car. The fact that a team built a better car then the rest should not be held against them. The whole competition is built around building a car within the regulations, which are pushed as far as possible, and then getting as good a driver as you can in that car. Its no different to Chelsea building a squad of top class players and then romping the league, as they will do this year. Or Toulon doing the same in rugby.  It can get boring, but i do not think this year has been as between the two drivers it has been very close, with some good racing. Compared to the two years when Vettell just romped it without a challenge this has been very exciting. But its just a well done to Merc for building a car so much better then the rest. Hopefully next year the other teams will be a bit closer.  
Maybe. The Chelsea/Toulon analogy is interesting as their recent successes point to one thing (same as the big boys in F1) and one thing only - money. A good thing for "the sport" in general? Nope, not in my book.
Ferrari, Merc, McLaren and Red Bull get stacks more cash for, well, just being them really. In Ferrari's case it's even more absurd - they get even more for being Ferrari. Pity the minnows' 'threat' to withdraw recently isn't going to accomplish anything - would be fun having races of just eight cars. Even more wonderful.
The others can't build "a better car" when their budgets are a fraction of that of the big boys.
Sport's about competition and, in F1, there's barely any worthy of the definition. It's not a recent thing either - F1 has been like this for far too long. Ecclestone couldn't care less though but as long as he's got those upstanding nations lining up to step in with their stacks of prestige cash, he isn't going to care. Admirable engineering and good driver fitness but that's about it for me. TBH, I went right off it once the idea of pit-to-car telemetry making alterations in a car's settings became the norm....
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue 25 Nov 2014, 7:41 am

I really struggle with F1, 2-3 days to decide who starts where, 2-3 hours for an actual race then 2-3 weeks for the inquest to decide who won without breaking a complex set of engineering rules. All that CO2 being needlessly pumped into the atmosphere as well...how very ungreen

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 25 Nov 2014, 7:59 am

SPOTY, what a terrible list.

Someone from Dressage for christs sake. That's less of a sport than F1.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Tue 25 Nov 2014, 9:30 am

Dressage is a nonsense. I cannot think of anyone that should be on the SPOTY list that isnt already on it. Think Gareth Bale is in with a shout, great season in Madrid and scored in the Champions league final.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 25 Nov 2014, 9:39 am

Footballers seldom win.
I think it's silly that they make a contrived list of ten when it shouldn't be any more than 5 based on UK sport in 2014.
Some token women in there too.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Tue 25 Nov 2014, 10:11 am

Seems like 2014 was a lean year for sports personalities. McIlroy by far the most deserving of the award, and even he is only British by proxy.

Katie Taylor won her 5th consecutive world boxing title yesterday, she'll probably walk the Irish sports personality award. Mcilroy will probably be nominated for that too, he won it in 2011.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 25 Nov 2014, 10:18 am

incontinentia wrote:Seems like 2014 was a lean year for sports personalities. McIlroy by far the most deserving of the award, and even he is only British by proxy.

Katie Taylor won her 5th consecutive world boxing title yesterday, she'll probably walk the Irish sports personality award. Mcilroy will probably be nominated for that too, he won it in 2011.

Do they even have an Irish Sports Personality of the Year?

Sausage Roll Buffet will get a caning if Lowry turns up.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue 25 Nov 2014, 10:29 am

Good ol' Dennis. Can always depend on him for a good, honest, thought provoking rant!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-30141159

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Tue 25 Nov 2014, 10:36 am

super_realist wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RT%C3%89_Sports_Person_of_the_Year

You don't have to be Irish though, Mick McCarthy won it before.

Is there a Scottish Sports Personality of the Year?
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 25 Nov 2014, 10:38 am

incontinentia wrote:
super_realist wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RT%C3%89_Sports_Person_of_the_Year

You don't have to be Irish though, Mick McCarthy won it before.

Is there a Scottish Sports Personality of the Year?

I think they used to, in years when there was an obvious candidate, I think it's been disbanded though for being an embarrassment the rest of the time.

I cannot stand regional programming. They try so hard to make tenuous links to local items usually presented by someone repulsive like Lorraine Kelly

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Tue 25 Nov 2014, 10:44 am

The Highland Games looks like a good bit of fun, have you ever been super?
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 25 Nov 2014, 10:46 am

I have been to a couple if I recall correctly, but as you know I'm not a fan of Scottishness shoved in your face.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Tue 25 Nov 2014, 11:39 am

super_realist wrote:I have been to a couple if I recall correctly, but as you know I'm not a fan of Scottishness shoved in your face.

Nobody wants a caber shoved anywhere.

Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Tue 25 Nov 2014, 12:12 pm

Bob_the_Job wrote:
super_realist wrote:I have been to a couple if I recall correctly, but as you know I'm not a fan of Scottishness shoved in your face.

There are a lot of tossers at the Highland Games
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 25 Nov 2014, 1:48 pm

Bob_the_Job wrote:

Quite Shocked ....
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 25 Nov 2014, 1:55 pm

Hope McIlroy wins especially now that he has declared for Ireland. That would make a few people squirm.

Interesting how three recent former winners have come from the most drug infested sport in modern history. They did really well to be so successful when competing against people on drugs.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue 25 Nov 2014, 4:18 pm

GunsGerms wrote:Hope McIlroy wins especially now that he has declared for Ireland. That would make a few people squirm.

Interesting how three recent former winners have come from the most drug infested sport in modern history. They did really well to be so successful when competing against people on drugs.

Weightlifting??

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 25 Nov 2014, 8:32 pm

Joe Hart must surely be one of the worst keepers in Europe.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue 25 Nov 2014, 8:37 pm

Citeh playing without hart.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 25 Nov 2014, 8:41 pm

How is he an international keeper?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 25 Nov 2014, 8:54 pm

GunsGerms wrote:Joe Hart must surely be one of the worst keepers in Europe.

Typical English player. Hyped to the hilt but not actually much good. I always apply the Finland Test to players like him. If he played for Finland instead of England, would anyone rate him? Doubt anyone would ever have heard of him actually.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue 25 Nov 2014, 9:05 pm

I don't think he's THAT bad .. just a crisis of confidence and makes too many ricks. Remember the greats like Schmeichel, Grobbelar, Seaman, Van DerSar, Clemence etc were all capable of bad mistakes

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next