The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wine

+11
Marlonz
rIck_dAgless
incontinentia
Galted
Rowley
superflyweight
kingraf
seanmichaels
Mind the windows Tino.
TRUSSMAN66
Adam D
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Wine  Empty Wine

Post by Adam D Sat 22 Nov 2014, 8:20 pm

Just cracking into a Californian Chardonnay. Not my usual tipple but very nice indeed.

Half price in Tescos at the moment - Robert Mondavi. £13 down to £6.49.

Very mellow and tasted of vanilla. That sounds so pretentious!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Wine  Empty Re: Wine

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 22 Nov 2014, 8:31 pm

Funny you should be writing a thread about wining..

White...Love a good Chablis...

Red...Rosemount Shiraz Cabernet or A Wolfblass Cab Sav..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Sat 22 Nov 2014, 8:41 pm

You know me truss. If I can't wine, I'm not happy.

Fortunately, you are my wine muse

Thought you would appreciate a bit of US grape? My wife swears by Robert Mondavi Pinot noir. Not a red drinker myself but when I saw it on special in white, had to go for it.

My favourite Californian White is grgrich hills (not a typo). Fantastic stuff.

I had some Argentinian sauv blanc the other night. First glass was rough but got through the pain barrier.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 22 Nov 2014, 9:48 pm

I'm an East Coast boy......

Chilean I love......Hate Rioja....and French generally Chablis apart is overrated.

Much prefer Southern hemisphere wines as they have the climate..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 24 Nov 2014, 11:09 am

Adam D wrote:

My wife swears by Robert Mondavi Pinot noir. Not a red drinker myself .

You need to spend money to get a really decent Pinot noir. It's low yielding and early ripening. As such, the quality grapes cost that much more. Martinborough in New Zealand is the place to get really top quality Pinot noir at the moment.

You can get some very drinkable versions for cheap(ish) but you'll really taste the difference between a £8 - £10 bottle and one that costs £20 plus. That's not being pretentious, it's simple supply and demand. Quality Pinot noir grapes are harder to harvest.

I don't actually like Pinot noir all that much. Too airy fairy for my tastes. I prefer big, ballsy Malbec's and the like.

Fleurie is a lovely red wine that you can get for decent prices. It's one of the Beaujolais regions. It's had a great few years harvest and anything from 2008 onwards is worth a drink.

Any Italian Barolo's are generally worth a go as well. Quality wine at reasonable prices.

Most Sauv Blanc's from New Zealand are great at the moment. It's the premier region for the grape these days. Anything from the Marlborough region of the Southern Island is usually pretty good. Oyster Bay in particular is well worth the money.

Gavi di Gavi is another excellent white from Italy. The really decent bottles aren't that cheap but for a special occasion, it's well worth the effort.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Mon 24 Nov 2014, 11:21 am

Apparently if you buy the supermarkets own labelled wine you are getting more grape for your money. Buying reduced wine is supposedly the worst thing to do.....

Adam, you do know white wine has a chemical similar to oestregen and gives you man boobs?

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 24 Nov 2014, 11:31 am

seanmichaels wrote:Apparently if you buy the supermarkets own labelled wine you are getting more grape for your money. Buying reduced wine is supposedly the worst thing to do.....

Yeah, that's an age old trick. The 'reduced' price is actually the 'real' price. They inflate the price for a few weeks and then miraculously reduce it by 50% to draw people in. I never buy half price wine for that reason. You're not getting a worthwhile wine for your money.

Similar to choosing the second most expensive wine on the wine list in a restaurant. Never do it. Choose the house wine if you're on a budget. It is representative of the house and you'll get a far better wine for your money. They don't want the house wine to be a poor reflection on the restaurant. Either go 'house' or choose the cheapest if you're not looking to spend much.

They know people go for the second cheapest as they don't want to look tightfisted. The restaurant automatically put a lower quality wine second on the list and make a much bigger margin on it.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon 24 Nov 2014, 11:47 am

I don't drink wine... but this is fantastic advice
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 24 Nov 2014, 11:58 am

kingraf wrote:I don't drink wine... but this is fantastic advice

Thanks KR, pass it on to your chums.

Shame you don't drink wine, there are some great wines coming out of Stellenbosch at the moment.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 24 Nov 2014, 12:03 pm

My questions when ordering wine are

A/ Does it end in "ini"?
B/ Does it come in pint glasses?

If the answer to both is "No" I tell the wife she can't have a drink

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Mon 24 Nov 2014, 12:35 pm

It's also about the 40th time he's given that advice on here. Has been aired more times than my Teenage Fanclub / Golf anecdote.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 24 Nov 2014, 1:32 pm

superflyweight wrote:

It's also about the 40th time he's given that advice on here.  Has been aired more times than my Teenage Fanclub / Golf anecdote.  

It's the second time actually.

And at least it's practical and helpful to my fellow 606'ers. Unlike your tedious, repetitive and quite possibly made up rock and roll anecdotes.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 24 Nov 2014, 1:55 pm

How dare you Tina in the world of tenuous rock and role anecdotes Superfly's Teenage Fanclub zinger is truly in a world of its own.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Mon 24 Nov 2014, 1:57 pm

How pathetic would my life have to be for me to make up that anecdote? Actually, best not to think about that too much.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 24 Nov 2014, 2:10 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Chilean I love

Chilean wines are really on the up now. The major wine growing regions of Chile have a climate not dissimilar to Australia and are producing really good Sauvignon Blanc, Cabernet Sauvignon and Chardonnay. I really don't like Chardonnay much but the drinkable ones I have tried recently have all been Chilean. They are producing some decent Merlot and Cabernet Franc as well.

It's actually been producing wine longer than USA, Oz and SA but it's only since the country emerged from Communist rule that it took off. Free trade brought along a more modern approach and the importing of international winemakers. They are not making any world beating wines yet but pretty solid value for money which is all you can really ask for.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Mon 24 Nov 2014, 2:25 pm

All this wine nonsense! You get all these wine people, don't you?

Wine this, wine that. Let's have a bit of red, let's have a bit of white. Ooh, that's a snazzy bouquet. Oh, this smells of, I don't know, basil. Sometimes you just want to say, sod all this wine, just give me a pint of, mineral water.

Can I just shock you? I like wine. Despite what I just said earlier. At any one time I have nine bottles of wine in my house.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 24 Nov 2014, 2:41 pm

Adam D wrote:
Thought you would appreciate a bit of US grape?

All wine ultimately comes from the USofA. I can't remember when exactly, but during the Industrial Revolution, there was some parasite that fed on vine roots and as travel and trade increased in Europe, the parasite took hold and practically wiped out Europe's and the rest of the worlds vineyards. The only place that was unscathed was North America which had roots that were immune (not sure why) to the parasite.

There was then a global effort to replant vineyards using the US roots which were unaffected. So even the heartlands of French wine are bred from US roots.

Unfortunately, it just gives Truss even more reason to blather on about how great America is. Not only did they save us from the Nazi jackboots in WWII, they also gave us back our wine.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 24 Nov 2014, 2:51 pm

Thus leading to a bunch of wine snobs blathering on about the relative merits of the Cabernet vs the Pinot...w*nkers!!!!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 24 Nov 2014, 2:56 pm

DAVE667 wrote:Thus leading to a bunch of wine snobs blathering on about the relative merits of the Cabernet vs the Pinot...w*nkers!!!!!!!!!!

We have mentioned Shiraz and other varieties too...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 24 Nov 2014, 3:04 pm

DAVE667 wrote:Thus leading to a bunch of wine snobs blathering on about the relative merits of the Cabernet vs the Pinot...w*nkers!!!!!!!!!!

I don't like that end of the wine world and have never been to a wine tasting day in my life but the part from grape to bottle is what fascinates me. Some of the skill and knowledge that goes into that industry is incredible.

I actually own a small (very, very small) part of a wine importing business that my friend runs. I lent him some money for a tiny percentage back when he was starting it up 7 years ago. It's not exactly a golden egg at the moment and any money he makes gets ploughed straight back in but it's enabled me to follow him around meeting some amazing people in the industry. Some utter gobshites as well, of course.

When I pluck up the courage to leave work, I hope to move into that industry with him, providing the business is still going.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Mon 24 Nov 2014, 3:06 pm

Missus just bought £200 worth of wine and said I can't drink any of it. Cnut

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 24 Nov 2014, 3:08 pm

Smart Mrs..... Wine  3559488474

Good taste too....The stuff she bought tastes great !!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Mon 24 Nov 2014, 3:10 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:  I lent him some money for a tiny percentage back when he was starting it up 7 years ago.  It's not exactly a golden egg at the moment and any money he makes gets ploughed straight back in but it's enabled me to follow him around meeting some amazing people in the industry.  

Missus got her wine from a company with a similar philosophy. Naked Wines. The money supposedly goes back in to the vineyard?

Don't see why we don't just do what the French do. Turn up to a caveau with a jerry can, get yourself a couple of gallons of reasonable red from a tap in the wall. Drive home, get leathered, eat bread and cheese. Job done.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 24 Nov 2014, 3:15 pm

No one seems to drink much British wine on here..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Mon 24 Nov 2014, 3:18 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:No one seems to drink much British wine on here..

Had some last year. Went to Denbies vineyard in Dorking. Thought it tasted rubbish but everyone I was with seemed to like it.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 24 Nov 2014, 4:17 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:No one seems to drink much British wine on here..

It's because it's not very good.

Too far north of the equator to grow decent grapes, too much rain, not enough sun, not enough hills and overly fertile soil (the best grapes grow in terrible soil as they have to work much harder to grow, creating better yields) all conspire against British wine growers.

There are a couple of decent sparkling varieties but that's about it. Some pretty talented French sparkling winemakers came over and imparted some expertise which helped and I read somewhere that there is a vein of chalk linking Champagne to Sussex or something like that. It's about 20 million years old and with a bit of French flair, they have managed to construct some drinkable sparkling wine.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Mon 24 Nov 2014, 4:53 pm

I like wine.

My favourite wine is red wine.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Mon 24 Nov 2014, 5:17 pm

Galted wrote:I like wine.

Good choice, I like the white kind better. I find it goes very well with song. I find the red stuff quite strong tasting.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Mon 24 Nov 2014, 5:22 pm

incontinentia wrote:

Good choice, I like the white kind better. I find it goes very well with song. I find the red stuff quite strong tasting.

Thanks, incontinentia.

I've tried white before.  I liked it as well, but not as much as red.  I didn't try it with song.

I respect your choice though, the off-topic section is about respecting other people's choices and opinions.

Last edited by Galted on Mon 24 Nov 2014, 5:25 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : one "though" too many)

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon 24 Nov 2014, 5:24 pm

Galted wrote:
incontinentia wrote:

Thanks, incontinentia.

I've tried white before.  I liked it as well, but not as much as red.  I didn't try it with song though.

I respect your choice though, the off-topic section is about respecting other people's choices and opinions.

Unless those opinions are wrong

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon 24 Nov 2014, 5:25 pm

Got mates who studied in the Cape. They all left real Joburg boys who drank what could probably pass as paint thinner, now they come back and talk about undercurrents and letting the oxygen fill the glass. Met a sommelier on holiday in the Cape two years back. Hamilton something or other. I think he was the first black sommelier in the Cape. Cool dude. Has a fun job as well, picking grapes like he was in the Garden of Eden.

Personally I prefer home brewed beer. The Home Brewed festivals are nothing short of fantastic riots.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Mon 24 Nov 2014, 5:26 pm

Adam D wrote:
Galted wrote:
incontinentia wrote:

Thanks, incontinentia.

I've tried white before.  I liked it as well, but not as much as red.  I didn't try it with song though.

Unless those opinions are wrong

Yes. Those people with wrong opinions should be banned.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 24 Nov 2014, 5:29 pm

I don't really like wine galted, that is why I have given this thread a bit of a miss.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 24 Nov 2014, 6:15 pm

I'd like to give a bit to a Miss

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Mon 24 Nov 2014, 6:58 pm

Rowley wrote:

I don't really like wine galted, that is why I have given this thread a bit of a miss.

Excellent decision, Jeff.

Hopefully a mead thread will be opened soon.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by rIck_dAgless Tue 25 Nov 2014, 7:43 am

Galted wrote:Hopefully a mead thread will be opened soon.

Picked up some mead from the German markets in Leeds the other day... Belter

rIck_dAgless
rik
rik

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue 25 Nov 2014, 8:45 am

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
There are a couple of decent sparkling varieties but that's about it.  Some pretty talented French sparkling winemakers came over and imparted some expertise which helped and I read somewhere that there is a vein of chalk linking Champagne to Sussex or something like that.  It's about 20 million years old and with a bit of French flair, they have managed to construct some drinkable sparkling wine.

Phucking thinks he's Oz Clark....

I think you're talking about the place I went to just outside Dorking. South (or North Downs) West Sussex. The stuff I had was sparkling. Tasted a bit like cheap wedding stuff but as I said I believe it is highly rated. Ought to be at £20 a bottle.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue 25 Nov 2014, 8:52 am

seanmichaels wrote:
There are a couple of decent sparkling varieties but that's about it.  Some pretty talented French sparkling winemakers came over and imparted some expertise which helped and I read somewhere that there is a vein of chalk linking Champagne to Sussex or something like that.  It's about 20 million years old and with a bit of French flair, they have managed to construct some drinkable sparkling wine.

Phucking thinks he's Oz Clark....

I think you're talking about the place I went to just outside Dorking. South (or North Downs) West Sussex. The stuff I had was sparkling. Tasted a bit like cheap wedding stuff but as I said I believe it is highly rated. Ought to be at £20 a bottle.

Talking of which, I once went to a dinner hosted by Oz Clarke who introduced the wine before each course (it was a corporate affair at Glen Eagles and the wine was friggin' awesome).

He said that the South African reds came from the original french vines dating back to the Roman times.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 25 Nov 2014, 9:02 am

Galted wrote:
Rowley wrote:

A client gave me a crate of champagne the other day. I also don't like that. However I plan to sell it all and spend the money on cocaine and strippers.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 25 Nov 2014, 11:38 am

Rowley wrote:
Galted wrote:
Rowley wrote:

A client gave me a crate of champagne the other day. I also don't like that. However I plan to sell it all and spend the money on cocaine and strippers.
Don't be foolish, spend it on a few bottles of decent wine (there are enough poncey w*nkstains on here for you to pick up a few tips) AND whatever is left on cocaine and strippers (who will undoubtedly appreciate the gesture as champagne is so passé)

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 25 Nov 2014, 2:52 pm

Just get your Mrs to strip ...and save the money for some Peter North DVDs..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 25 Nov 2014, 2:59 pm

I doubt TSMR would resort to such sluttish behavior but then again....

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 25 Nov 2014, 3:00 pm

DAVE667 wrote:I doubt TSMR would resort to such sluttish behavior but then again....

If a client gives you a crate of champagne......He must have exceeeded all expectations and satisfied him in every department... Shocked

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 25 Nov 2014, 3:08 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:I doubt TSMR would resort to such sluttish behavior but then again....

If a client gives you a crate of champagne......He must have exceeeded all expectations and satisfied him in every department... Shocked

I went to stag do once where the lady providing the 'entertainment' did something remarkable with a Jeroboam of Champagne. It disappeared, up there, and then she got the cork out as she was squatting over the groom, releasing the liquid all over him. Ruined the pool table he was laying on. Ruined it.

I told her how irresponsible she had been.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 25 Nov 2014, 3:14 pm

Sounds like you had her on the rack...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 25 Nov 2014, 5:20 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

I went to stag do once where the lady providing the 'entertainment' did something remarkable with a Jeroboam of Champagne.  It disappeared, up there, and then she got the cork out as she was squatting over the groom, releasing the liquid all over him.  Ruined the pool table he was laying on.  Ruined it.

I told her how irresponsible she had been.
I went to a stag do and the "entertainment co-ordinator" put this guy's head between her huge bare breasts and wobbled them for all she was worth. The poor guy's head was getting rocked this way and that. It was shocking behavior...I couldn't hear properly for three days!

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 25 Nov 2014, 6:19 pm

Must be one of the 1% of people not to have a stag do..(The problem when you haven't got any friends !!)...Joanne had a hen night though and the miserable b**ch didn't invite me !! Sad Sad

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue 25 Nov 2014, 6:36 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Must be one of the 1% of people not to have a stag do..(The problem when you haven't got any friends !!)...Joanne had a hen night though and the miserable b**ch didn't invite me !! Sad Sad

I heard she went to a pub with a pool table and was given a jeroboam of champagne. Apparently one of her favourite ever nights Wink

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Marlonz Wed 26 Nov 2014, 11:09 pm

I have to disagree with the general consensus here and say that I prefer Old World, preferably Spanish reds. I went through a phase of drinking Australian Shiraz's - Hardys -Bin 53, Wolf Blass,etc. But I started to feel that they were too sweet and sugary as opposed to genuinely full-bodied and fruity. For me, a reserva Tempranillo/Rioja - full and fruity, yet oakey and dry enough to keep you disciplined and not quaff it all. Italian-wise - Chianti Classico/reserva quite nice too.

As for Chilean wines, again probably a minority opinion but I've always found them to be a bit of a letdown - usually more earthy than fruity. And the Vina Maipo Shiraz I once had was full of sugar, rather than juicy or fruity. I rarely drink white wine, just don't like the sweetness. Possibly a glass of Sauvignon Blanc once or twice in the spring or summer if others are having it with a salad-type meal. Just don't really like white. I don't know, I just like fruity, oakey reds and I tend to find the Spanish do it the best. All a matter of opinion of course.

Marlonz

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Thu 27 Nov 2014, 10:49 am

Sainsbury's Soave or Pinot Grigio, both spot on and cheapish and they come in bigger bottles.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next