The UK Championships

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The UK Championships

Post by CaledonianCraig on Tue 02 Dec 2014, 2:23 pm

First topic message reminder :

Now well under way at The Barbican Centre is The UK Snooker Championships. It has been expanded this year with more players making the TV stage and more tables in action at the same time. This format has been much-criticized by quite a few players with the tables being criticized and lack of atmosphere. However, I must say it is great to see some new faces get a chance to strut their stuff on TV. Anyway we are now nearing the Quarter-Final stage and today in action are Ronnie O'Sullivan, Neil Robertson, Graeme Dott and Peter Ebdon (four ex-world Champions) this afternoon.......Enjoy and discuss.
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Re: The UK Championships

Post by The Special Juan on Sun 07 Dec 2014, 8:28 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:
The Special Juan wrote:Maguire would have put up a better show than this.

No comment.

Come on, you must agree!! This will be the biggest hiding since Maguire played ROS 7 years ago (10-2).
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig on Sun 07 Dec 2014, 8:29 pm

Ronnie leads 9-4 and the end is in sight.
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig on Sun 07 Dec 2014, 8:30 pm

The Special Juan wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:
The Special Juan wrote:Maguire would have put up a better show than this.

No comment.

Come on, you must agree!!  This will be the biggest hiding since Maguire played ROS 7 years ago (10-2).

Sorry I can't agree. Maguire just doesn't do it for me. He always gets spoken of as a great player but in all the crunch matches I have seen him in he has been pretty poor and beaten fairly heavily - over-rated for me.
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan on Sun 07 Dec 2014, 8:33 pm

He played well against David Gray in 2004 Laugh Aside from that.....
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig on Sun 07 Dec 2014, 8:34 pm

I think this final just demonstrates what I have said before on here and got shouted down for it. The standard now is way below that of say ten to twenty years ago as if you missed chances then you were punished far more readily than is being seen here.
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan on Sun 07 Dec 2014, 8:39 pm

Nah I have to disagree. This has been a one-off poor tournament. The very best (i.e. my top tier players) will punish you 90% of the time. I might write an article taking directly comparing today's players against the rankings of 1994 and 2004.
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan on Sun 07 Dec 2014, 8:40 pm

Judd you are a disgrace.
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig on Sun 07 Dec 2014, 8:44 pm

The Special Juan wrote:Nah I have to disagree.  This has been a one-off poor tournament.  The very best (i.e. my top tier players) will punish you 90% of the time.  I might write an article taking directly comparing today's players against the rankings of 1994 and 2004.

This is the final and I expect the very best and this has been very disappointing - one of the poorest I can remember for some time. Also viewing figures have dropped and I would hazard a guess that the average age of the top ten has rocketed up. Where are all the youngsters coming through? In the nineties you had Ronnie, Mark Williams and John Higgins whilst today you have ???

CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan on Sun 07 Dec 2014, 8:47 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:
The Special Juan wrote:Nah I have to disagree.  This has been a one-off poor tournament.  The very best (i.e. my top tier players) will punish you 90% of the time.  I might write an article taking directly comparing today's players against the rankings of 1994 and 2004.

This is the final and I expect the very best and this has been very disappointing - one of the poorest I can remember for some time. Also viewing figures have dropped and I would hazard a guess that the average age of the top ten has rocketed up. Where are all the youngsters coming through? In the nineties you had Ronnie, Mark Williams and John Higgins whilst today you have ???

Where are all the youngsters coming through? - there's always youngsters. See James Cahill, for example. You'll need to define "young" though, considering you don't reach your peak til about 30.

In the nineties you had Ronnie, Mark Williams and John Higgins whilst today you have ??? - I imagine in 10 years time you'll be berating a lack of Federer, Nadal and Djokovic in tennis!!
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig on Sun 07 Dec 2014, 8:50 pm

Yes there are always youngsters of course but what are their calibre? That is the question here and Cahill can't be held up as a shining light yet until he is winning majors like Ronnie, Mark and John were at a young age. Heck Trump was being hailed as the next big thing and a yardstick to today's quality but this shows he isn't as high quality as some would have us believe.
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig on Sun 07 Dec 2014, 8:52 pm

At these UK's as well we have even had old dinosaurs like Jimmy White and Nigel Bond doing the rounds - why haven't they yet been eradicated by new kids on the block?
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig on Sun 07 Dec 2014, 8:57 pm

Obviously, this is my view point but also what match ups do we have now that are mouth-watering? In the 90's you had Hendry, Williams, O'Sullivan, Higgins, White and Davis all making up great match-ups but who do you have today? One of them you'd say is this match up tonight and look at its standard of quality (or lack of it).
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan on Sun 07 Dec 2014, 9:04 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:At these UK's as well we have even had old dinosaurs like Jimmy White and Nigel Bond doing the rounds - why haven't they yet been eradicated by new kids on the block?

It's unfair to use Jimmy as an example in this tournament - he made the last 64 and was beaten (i.e. won a solitary match and that was against Dave Harold). The way the rankings work at this moment, it's quite hard for youngsters. It's too complicated for me to explain but if you're on a two year tour card and fail to finish insie the top 64, all the money you've won that season is wiped from your ranking (I think).
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan on Sun 07 Dec 2014, 9:11 pm

Too little too late from Juddley.
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea on Sun 07 Dec 2014, 9:17 pm

well at least Trump has turned up. Surely too little too late, but two lovely centuries in a row give him a small sliver of hope.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig on Sun 07 Dec 2014, 9:22 pm

The fact that Ronnie can produce a sub-par performance and win the UK so easily at the age of 39 says more about the rest than it does Ronnie though. And that is my point. If this was the 90s he would have had either Henry, Williams, Higgins, Doherty, White or Davis snapping at his heels - there is simply not that calibre of players arounaround at the moment.
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan on Sun 07 Dec 2014, 9:28 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:The fact that Ronnie can produce a sub-par performance and win the UK so easily at the age of 39 says more about the rest than it does Ronnie though. And that is my point. If this was the 90s he would have had either Henry, Williams, Higgins, Doherty, White or Davis snapping at his heels - there is simply not that calibre of players arounaround at the moment.

Do you mean the final or the tournament overall? For the latter, he's had the easiest draw I've ever seen in my life, up until the final.
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 on Sun 07 Dec 2014, 9:30 pm

Onwards Judd! 

Marvellous, valiant spirit in the face of the abyss. So frustrating that he gifted O'Sullivan two frames at the start of the session.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig on Sun 07 Dec 2014, 9:34 pm

Well in the semi Bingham choked big style against him and he laboured a bit against McGill. Not knocking him though as he has deserved it but it's not saying a lot that he can win it without a real great opponent. The greats of today like Selby and Robertson hardly looked great either at this tournie which again says a lot about their lack of consistency.
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 on Sun 07 Dec 2014, 9:47 pm

Nine each. Phenomenal.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig on Sun 07 Dec 2014, 10:22 pm

Well Ronnie won in the end but I had to pop out when 9-5 so cracking fightback by Trump and credit to him for that. He really must tighten up his all-round game though as potting is not all that matters you need to NE able to play decent level of match play snooker as well.
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan on Sun 07 Dec 2014, 11:31 pm

I still think the writing's on the wall for ROS. He is declining, albeit much slower than every other pro around that age. But now's not the time to think about that. Well done to him for dragging himself over the winning line in the end. Another big'un in the bag.
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig on Mon 08 Dec 2014, 6:58 am

Ronnie's head though is now in a far better place than it has ever been. In interviews on BBC he was saying he was looking forward to another five or ten years in snooker and he was loving it. That is such a difference to the Ronnie of old of 'I hate it and I am quitting' fame. I think that definitely helps him cope mentally far better when his form isn't so great (like here in the final). It means he applies himself better and is willing to graft his way to victory. I think the concentration thing is his problem now and that hits all players at a certain age - even the legends. That will really hinder him at tournaments with long-formatted matches such as world championships and is why I think he will not beat Hendry's record.
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR on Mon 08 Dec 2014, 11:07 am

Well that was a good but ultimately futile fightback. Judd must be kicking himself to only start playing when he had nothing to lose, he was poor before that.

I think players still lose to Ronnie's aura rather than the player himself. Yes he can be devastating, but his long game is inconsistent so the other player will get chances. I feel that when his opponents do get a chance they don't relax like they might against other players. Bingham's meltdown is a good example, he'd have closed that out against anyone else.

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum