The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do you like Christmas and New Year celebrations ??

+8
Mad for Chelsea
Ent
Strongback
westisbest
Stella
Rowley
Derbymanc
TRUSSMAN66
12 posters

Go down

Do you like Christmas and New Year celebrations ?? Empty Do you like Christmas and New Year celebrations ??

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:20 pm

My middle name is Ebeneezer................Because I don't like this time of year.....

On the plus side I get to visit my family back home and I get other holidays I don't have to book......

But on the other side I have to kiss and meet people I don't care for.........Get carted around shops at great expense to buy presents for people I don't like......

For me they should just take Christ out of the title as it's all about big name brands trying to beat their competition......

To me it's much ado about nothing....

If my eldest or Wife wants something... they know I'll buy it for them anyway......They don't need Christmas day to know that I care about them..

As for New Year's eve......Well it's the worst night of the year..........Not only is it reminding me I'm soon to be a year older but I get dragged to my Father-in-law's house to mingle with snobs, sing some stupid song at midnight.... and then have to enjoy breakfast there because my two boys are sleeping over !! Unless Rob somehow manages to escape the event which is on a par with the escape in the Midnight express !!

If he does manage to go to a teeny boppers party instead... I'll ask him to take me with him !!

Sorry Christmas and New Year....You can keep it !!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Do you like Christmas and New Year celebrations ?? Empty Re: Do you like Christmas and New Year celebrations ??

Post by Guest Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:58 pm

Time it right and, like this year, it means nearly two weeks off work without having to make a dent in my annual leave allocation. Outside of that, you can stick Xmas up your hole.

Can't say I care for the commercial sh*tfight which is Christmas. Can't stand the idea that if someone is nice to your for a few days in the run up to Christmas, you're supposed to forget what kind of f*cking ar$ehole they've been to your for the other fifty one and a half weeks (however, I'm hoping my wife does indeed fall my acts of contrition performance). For years it's been driven by greed, stupidity, selfishness, ignorance and arrogance (you'd think it would be my kind of holiday wouldn't you?) and I'd much rather avoid it at all costs but as a family man I have responsibilities that I didn't have 10 years ago. Used to enjoy sitting at home with several bottles of spirits, the dvd remote close by and the knowledge that I didn't have to see another human being for two weeks. Now it's ungrateful nieces/nephews pi$$ing and moaning because you only gave them £20 in a card because they have so much stuff you couldn't possibly buy them a gift that would make them happy without selling a kidney to fund it.

Hoping beyond hope that my two year daughter likes the things we've got her and that my eight month old son likes playing with the empty boxes.

New Year? Same old death, destruction, corruption, murder, disease and suffering as last year but if you voice that opinion you get told to f*ck off back to your own house and take your negativity with you (you might wanna try it if you' have a party you want to avoid)

That being said, I wish you all a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Back to top Go down

Do you like Christmas and New Year celebrations ?? Empty Re: Do you like Christmas and New Year celebrations ??

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:56 pm

Likewise .....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:19 pm

You absolute miserable pair of B*stards Very Happy

Christmas is brilliant, the best time of year. You get the chance to surprise your missus and kids with whatever they tend to want (if its affordable of course.) If you choose you can spend the time with the rest of your family or make it a big celebration for all of you.

New Year, not quite so much, still remember it now as a massive con in town with everywhere charging a fortune, but if you find the right place it can be a laugh (We fouarnd a hotel do last year for families) or it's another night of singstar/Just dance with immediate family members round.

Whilst maybe we shouldn't always need an excuse to see each other it's always a good one.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:22 pm

Love your positive attitude on everything.....

Have our christmas party on Saturday......A turgid affair where we pretend to love eachother !!

I'm going home on Saturday so I'll miss it....Thankfully !!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:27 pm

I love it, people buy me stuff, I don't come to work very often and I tend to be drunk for around six days on the bounce. What's not to love. Having to endure four hours in the company of my sister is a small price to pay.

Like Derby I tend not to be a big fan of new year, as it always underwhelms. However last couple of years we have been in our local WMC and it has been brilliant, local enough not to get ripped off with taxis, cheap ale and they push the boat out and spend a full £100 on the turn for new year so they tend to be approaching tolerable.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:32 pm

I know I'm going to sound thick......But what is a WMC ??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:42 pm

Tut tut tut Trussy, you should know that Wink Working Mans Club.

My new outlook is to try and stop me getting so stressy, I'm even gonna be nice(ish) to Strongy from now on

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:46 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I know I'm going to sound thick......But what is a WMC ??

You can tell you live in the posh area Truss, you've been in the north long enough to not have to ask such a question by now.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:53 pm

Thankfully at that age where I don't do "going out for New Year". The countdown to Midnight on New Year's Eve tends to be followed very quickly by a fight breaking out after some drunk decides it's appropriate to grope any female in arm's length. No word of a lie, I once saw two blokes swapping punches whilst Auld Lang's whassname was still being played. ....and a Happy New Year to you too fellas.

Best New Year I had was the month before my daughter was born and the missus and I sat snuggled up at home watching back to back episodes of "The Killing".

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:13 pm

Derbymanc wrote:Tut tut tut Trussy, you should know that Wink Working Mans Club.

My new outlook is to try and stop me getting so stressy, I'm even gonna be nice(ish) to Strongy from now on

I've heard of a working man's club !!......Didn't recognise the abbreviation...

Wonder If Toppy knew what it meant ?? Cool

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:19 pm

I tolerate Christmas, despite people buying me the same Poopie each year I don't want or need, family wearing sh*t 'festive' jumpers and un-necessary overspending on food. I guess the alcohol numbs a lot of the angst and I survive the 2 days of game playing and non-existent conversations.

New Year I hate with a passion. It's just like any other day except people set out changes and give up after a day once they realised they were conned into it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:24 pm

I have young kids, so yes, I love Christmas. I do though despise new year. New Years day has to be the most depressing day of the year.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:10 pm

DAVE667 wrote:Time it right and, like this year, it means nearly two weeks off work without having to make a dent in my annual leave allocation. Outside of that, you can stick Xmas up your hole.

Can't say I care for the commercial sh*tfight which is Christmas. Can't stand the idea that if someone is nice to your for a few days in the run up to Christmas, you're supposed to forget what kind of f*cking ar$ehole they've been to your for the other fifty one and a half weeks (however, I'm hoping my wife does indeed fall my acts of contrition performance). For years it's been driven by greed, stupidity, selfishness, ignorance and arrogance (you'd think it would be my kind of holiday wouldn't you?) and I'd much rather avoid it at all costs but as a family man I have responsibilities that I didn't have 10 years ago. Used to enjoy sitting at home with several bottles of spirits, the dvd remote close by and the knowledge that I didn't have to see another human being for two weeks. Now it's ungrateful nieces/nephews pi$$ing and moaning because you only gave them £20 in a card because they have so much stuff you couldn't possibly buy them a gift that would make them happy without selling a kidney to fund it.

Hoping beyond hope that my two year daughter likes the things we've got her and that my eight month old son likes playing with the empty boxes.

New Year? Same old death, destruction, corruption, murder, disease and suffering as last year but if you voice that opinion you get told to f*ck off back to your own house and take your negativity with you (you might wanna try it if you' have a party you want to avoid)

That being said, I wish you all a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Great point.
Managers at work are like that. No your not a decent guy, just cos its xmas, stop trying to be nice. your a to55er all year round.

Best thing for me about christmas is the time off.
Have christmas eve off this year.

Not been out for new year's for about 6 years.
Not a fan

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:11 pm

I love it up to Christmas day. Long working lunches and lots of boozing. Last Friday was the start of it having lunch with clients and drinking fine wine into the afternoon in a 5 Star hotel. Out for a work related dinner tomorrow night that should be fun. From next Monday I 'll be out every night until the 24th. Then unfortunately its off to the in-laws for Christmas day which will be austere in comparison to the decadence I will have enjoyed in the previous couple of weeks.

After Christmas day the whole thing falls to pieces for me and in reality I should probably just head of skiing early.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:16 pm

Of course you do, do you also spend the night of the 24th delivering presents to all the less fortunate cause that's the kind of guy you are.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:50 pm

Absolutely love christmas.

Love hunting for a good present for everyone, usually try and get a small funny/good craic one too.

Love the run up to it, going to the christmas market, christmas nights out with mates/work. Wrapping presents, Christmas songs, party food.

As for the day itself love the dinners, the beer, the tv, the sandwiches at night.

Football on boxing day and another big dinner before heading out.

New year like most I don't really care for but a bit of banter and a cheap bottle of plonk normally results in a good night with the family.

I understand why some people don't like it, can be a lonely time of year if you don't have muhh family around and if you have been bereaved this is the time of year many feel it.

Don't get the bah humbug approach though; even if you find it a bit commercial and fake You get a few days off and license to eat and drink all you like with some decent tv too!

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:39 pm

I'm with Derby and Ent on this one, there really are some miserable b#ggers on here Wink

While I'm not overly fond of the commercial aspect of Christmas, I do enjoy the giving (and receiving) of presents. To me you're showing some people that you care about them (and they care about you). I enjoy the carols, and the general festive spirit. Most importantly, what I really love is the opportunity to spend time with my family, in particular those who don't live in the same country as me (grandparents, one of my brothers, and my uncle and his family). We all get together over the holidays, spend Christmas day together over a very long and delicious meal, and I find it all rather wonderful.

Particularly looking forward to Christmas this year as my wide is allowed to travel so we will be able to join the family. Last year she was still getting her paperwork sorted out and couldn't leave the country, so we couldn't join the family celebrations. We still had a lovely time just the two of us (particularly enjoyed having oysters on Xmas day - yum!) and did manage to sneak across into Spain for a few days holiday between Christmas and the New Year, but I did miss the family aspect somewhat.

As for the New Year, not too fussed. Never really been one for going out to party (the one year I did that my then-GF of 7 years promptly dumped the next day so I took it as a sign Wink). Usually we just have a very nice meal with my parents, grandparents and siblings (roast duck, usually), and settle down to a nice quiet evening in front of the movie waiting for midnight (and the opportunity to crack open the Champagne).

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:48 pm

Must admit I prefer Xmas day to New Year's eve....

I can go to bed earlier.........

As for Carols.... never had one of them .......Had a Christine though !!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:51 pm

... in direct contrast...

I haven't spent Christmas at home for three years. I love the festive season because if I save some leave days, it gives me the chance to take a month or so off and just get on the road. Spent Christmas 2012 traipsing through Southern Africa with my besties, and 2013 I was in Addis Ababa. Fantastic memories. See my family every second week. My friends not so, so I appreciate the chance to spend 3-4 weeks at the end of every year just driving, trying not to get killed
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:59 pm

Mad for Chelsea wrote:I'm with Derby and Ent on this one, there really are some miserable b#ggers on here Wink

While I'm not overly fond of the commercial aspect of Christmas, I do enjoy the giving (and receiving) of presents. To me you're showing some people that you care about them (and they care about you). I enjoy the carols, and the general festive spirit. Most importantly, what I really love is the opportunity to spend time with my family, in particular those who don't live in the same country as me (grandparents, one of my brothers, and my uncle and his family). We all get together over the holidays, spend Christmas day together over a very long and delicious meal, and I find it all rather wonderful.

Particularly looking forward to Christmas this year as my wide is allowed to travel so we will be able to join the family. Last year she was still getting her paperwork sorted out and couldn't leave the country, so we couldn't join the family celebrations. We still had a lovely time just the two of us (particularly enjoyed having oysters on Xmas day - yum!) and did manage to sneak across into Spain for a few days holiday between Christmas and the New Year, but I did miss the family aspect somewhat.

As for the New Year, not too fussed. Never really been one for going out to party (the one year I did that my then-GF of 7 years promptly dumped the next day so I took it as a sign Wink). Usually we just have a very nice meal with my parents, grandparents and siblings (roast duck, usually), and settle down to a nice quiet evening in front of the movie waiting for midnight (and the opportunity to crack open the Champagne).

Am sure she's not that fat.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:56 pm

oops, good spot laughing

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:20 pm

I enjoy some of it, I dont appreciate having to push past people fighting over a tv when I just want to buy a few old dvds and stuff but I love the lights and the caroling etc. Its funny when I open the door and they see that Im an asian with a beard and they freeze for a moment...unsure whether to run away or continue with their singing. My daughter likes to listen so i chuck em a fiver. One gripe though - everyone seems to have changed to white led lights, used to enjoy all the green, red and silver ones more. That said, I imagine if I was working during black friday it would instantly turn to dislike.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Hulking_up Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:42 pm

I like Christmas. What i don't like is that some people think it starts in November.
For 2 years running now i've avoided having to work over the Christmas period which is a bonus.

New Year though i'm not much a fan of. I don't drink so it's lost on me.

Hulking_up

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down