The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tonight's fights

+32
rapidringsroad
Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake
sittingringside
tunes666
John Bloody Wayne
catchweight
hogey
Herman Jaeger
AdamT
Kareem61
Strongback
Coxy001
3fingers
kingraf
hampo17
bellchees
Hammersmith harrier
Marky
RatBoy66
Duty281
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
ShahenshahG
DuransHorse
thelastbellender
owen10ozzy
Dipper Brown
mobilemaster8
milkyboy
88Chris05
spencerclarke
wheelchair1991
CallMeBenji
36 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

Tonight's fights - Page 5 Empty Tonight's fights

Post by CallMeBenji Sat 13 Dec 2014, 8:38 pm

First topic message reminder :

Anybody know the time of Andy Lee's fight? I've seen that khan has tweeted he's ring walking at 4am. Anybody staying up for the fights?

CallMeBenji

Back to top Go down

Tonight's fights - Page 5 Empty Re: Tonight's fights

Post by Strongback Mon 15 Dec 2014, 10:43 am

Adam D wrote:
Strongback wrote:
Adam D wrote:AS everyone is so wealthy, its coming up to that time of the year when we have to renew our domain name etc.

There is a contribution button down below.

We could really do with all of you mega millionaires to throw a tenner in to the pot to help us us regular millionaires keep the site going.

This is a genuine request! Even a fiver will do.

The link is at the bottom of the page ("contribution")

Is there a PayPal option?

Yes.

And thanks to Capt Kirk and Strongy

When I click on the Contribution tab I only see pay by phone, visa or bank card. Is the paypal option elsewhere?

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 15 Dec 2014, 10:44 am

Many moons ago i turned out for my town's first 11. Once. When they couldn't actually muster 11. They had retired the 2nds. Crazy really when the club pro was from memory a pakistani international. He scored all the runs, til he ran out of partners every week, and took pretty much all the wickets.

I'm generally ok with bat and ball games, but was a terrible cricketer, who's only contribution in the days I played was a propensity to take the occasional slip catch.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 15 Dec 2014, 10:46 am

Adam D wrote:
Strongback wrote:
Adam D wrote:AS everyone is so wealthy, its coming up to that time of the year when we have to renew our domain name etc.

There is a contribution button down below.

We could really do with all of you mega millionaires to throw a tenner in to the pot to help us us regular millionaires keep the site going.

This is a genuine request! Even a fiver will do.

The link is at the bottom of the page ("contribution")

Is there a PayPal option?

Yes.

And thanks to Capt Kirk and Strongy

Ethical dilemma. Can you ban your sponsors?

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon 15 Dec 2014, 10:49 am

Captain Kirk wrote:
As for the good looks and prowess in weight training.........well that's just god given talent.

Tonight's fights - Page 5 418751d7a9f5e8668e09a57199270f22

Finally managed to track strongy down!

Given that little guy is dead and lived in India and I'm alive, typing and Irish can only lead to one conclusion..........a massive fail by you.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon 15 Dec 2014, 10:50 am

Looks like you cant pay by paypal.

If it makes you feel more reassured, I paid by card the last 3 years and my account hasnt been robbed as of yet.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 15 Dec 2014, 10:53 am

I've done mine by card, Adam, so that's good to know.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Mon 15 Dec 2014, 11:12 am

Adam D wrote:Looks like you cant pay by paypal.

If it makes you feel more reassured, I paid by card the last 3 years and my account hasnt been robbed as of yet.

Is there a PayPal email address you've got? Much rather pay by something I trust as I don't want my account to be wiped dry, some of us have Ferrari's due for servicing you know

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Mon 15 Dec 2014, 11:19 am

To be fair Strongy, it's the same type of fail as you trying to convince us all your a super rich, meglomanical businessman on a par with Donald Trump, puts Brad Pitt to shame in the looks states and on a bad day can pick his many mansions up and transport them to a nicer part of whatever country your in at the time :-)

On the other hand clap for donating, I haven't got a pot to urine in at the moment so unless you accept buttons then no can do this time. (I'm skint and I effin know it.)

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon 15 Dec 2014, 11:48 am

Derbymanc wrote:To be fair Strongy, it's the same type of fail as you trying to convince us all your a super rich, meglomanical businessman on a par with Donald Trump, puts Brad Pitt to shame in the looks states and on a bad day can pick his many mansions up and transport them to a nicer part of whatever country your in at the time :-)

On the other hand clap for donating, I haven't got a pot to urine in at the moment so unless you accept buttons then no can do this time. (I'm skint and I effin know it.)

You seem to be letting your imagination run away with you.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Mon 15 Dec 2014, 12:00 pm

Nope I'm definitely skint Strongy, no imagination needed to know that, the bank tell me :-D

Or are you really trying to say that you let your imagination run wild with your storybook kind of life Wink

Merry Christmas you crazy little guy.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Mon 15 Dec 2014, 12:04 pm

Adam, Rowls, Chris + whoever else... just made my donation.

I do now assume that this makes me an honorary member and am thus immune against being banned (again)?! Wink

Also, can I have my old username back please? Smile

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon 15 Dec 2014, 12:06 pm

Derbymanc wrote:Nope I'm definitely skint Strongy, no imagination needed to know that, the bank tell me :-D

Or are you really trying to say that you let your imagination run wild with your storybook kind of life Wink

Merry Christmas you crazy little guy.

It's more a case of people in general being unable to imagine the possibilities and realize them. Just decide on what's achievable and do it.

Why are you skint? Better to focus on that.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Mon 15 Dec 2014, 12:12 pm

Captain Kirk wrote:Adam, Rowls, Chris + whoever else... just made my donation.

I do now assume that this makes me an honorary member and am thus immune against being banned (again)?! Wink

nope, and nope.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Mon 15 Dec 2014, 12:12 pm

hampo171 wrote:
Captain Kirk wrote:Adam, Rowls, Chris + whoever else... just made my donation.

nope, and nope.

Do I not even get a thank you? Sad

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 15 Dec 2014, 12:14 pm

He's skint because he doesn't have any money. Just thought I'd point that out for you derby, save you the time having to focus on it.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon 15 Dec 2014, 12:17 pm

Kirk - what was your old username?

And thanks for the donation (I haven't checked yet but I'm sure it was very generous)

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon 15 Dec 2014, 12:26 pm

Class Wicketkeeper
Wealthy
multi lingual

Are the options really that vast?
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Mon 15 Dec 2014, 12:36 pm

Adam D wrote:Kirk - what was your old username?

And thanks for the donation (I haven't checked yet but I'm sure it was very generous)

Wasn't generous, just a token of christmas appreciation..

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Mon 15 Dec 2014, 12:43 pm

You been reading them self help books Strongy, sounds like a quote straight from one of them. (On the shock horror side though, you are kind of right, if you don't at least try then don't complain.)

Milky hit the nail right on the head though. Wink

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Mon 15 Dec 2014, 2:02 pm

Coxy001 wrote:
But again, he has not faced the style fighter like Khan, so it would be interesting. And why Floyd wont take the fight.

Oh c'mon sunshine, gimme and the rest of us a break. Floyd won't take the fight, not because you/he views Khan as some sort of threat - he's fondly remembered in America for losing to the horribly average Peterson and getting decked (hard) by Garcia - the latter was all of 4 fights ago. Struggling past a blown up lightweight in Diaz (and getting dropped by him) and beating up on the "been found out before, we know how average they are" Collazo/Alexander doesn't exactly warrant much optimism of anything nearing a remotely competitive fight.

The only, and I mean only, interesting aspect of them fighting is Khan's speed. What is apparent to me is that Khan is now "rushing" in behind the jab and then getting back out again. Mayweather would counter him all day, night and year long - if he's able to handle the massive size of Cotto/Alvarez then I fail to see what happens differently with a guy that still leaves himself wide open.

I've already said I rated Khan's performance on Saturday, but there's a very important word here - "perspective". It's one thing putting on a good showing against an decent but not elite fighter, it's another to consistently land on someone (for 12 rounds) who has barely shipped a punch in their whole career/no-one has found the magic key (in recent years, we all know Castillo beat him with sustained pressure then got his arse kicked in the rematch) to unpicking his defensive wizardry.

And by the way, Khan isn't as quick as Mayweather. Yes he has these pretty little fast hands - but his footwork is still average (he gets square on when throwing) and he doesn't roll/have the little feints FMJ does. It's overly important to not classify "hand speed" as overall "speed" because he's not on a par with Mayeather in that respect.

And people can mention Judah all they want. Judah is a lefty and people seem to forget that Floyd is never the quickest of starters, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he absolutely embarrass Judah once he'd got him figured out?

FMJ stops him around round 5 with beaut of a right hand counter after winning every round.

Bookies have FMJ as 1/3 - slightly narrower than I would've put it but I will be piling in to him big time. If anyone wants a £1000 bet on the winner am more than prepared to get Adam (founder) to set up a Paypal account and we both pay in to it. Winner takes all....

To be honest too many people brush of fighters due to there losses.  Khan achieved allot as a young fighter and yes he lost some fights,  but those flaws were there for people to see and it was never down to lack of ability...  lf you can't see a bit of improvement and ability in Khan now then I would have to disagree.  He complexity schooled a good fighter in DA and seems to be working well with Hunter.  I would give Khan a great chance of beating Garcia if they fought again and he would beat Petersen and no doubt beat Prescott easy.

I have never seen Khan schooled other than neglect his defence at times he did not even need to attack...  

There is no doubt in my mind that he would give Floyd some very hard rounds,  the only doubt I have is if he can mix it up enough with Floyd for 12 rnds..  I would have Floyd winning a close fight and maybe stopping Khan late.  But Floyd is getting on and Khan is the last guy you want to face when father time makes an unexpected visit...  Floyd is after that 50/0 and Khan is going to fight Manny and they will both rib Floyd whole staging a massive fight between them selves.

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Mon 15 Dec 2014, 2:23 pm

Disagree on Garcia tunes, just feel that the brawling style is all wrong for Khan in terms of the end result. Yes, he may bank rounds in the bag but just feel he walks on to something sooner or later. That and once buzzed he goes in to autopilot 'engage' mode and all fight plans go flying out the window at a rate of knots.

Agree with Peterson, horribly off night for Khan. Boxes him properly and it's a shutout.

Thing with Mayweather is that he could in theory do a Hopkins. He is always in great shape and much like BHop hasn't exactly been in many wars. He's a young 37 (or whatever he is), his legs have slowed down a bit but I think that may be more a willingness to engage a bit more knowing he's still good enough to win rather than it being purely old age. Lest we not forget he absolutely bamboozled Alvarez in to submission with more feints than you can shake a stick at, just fail to see how Khan puts up any more of a fight when all he has going for him is quick hands (i.e. doesn't have hulk power/much of a chin/FMJ defense etc).

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by sittingringside Mon 15 Dec 2014, 3:50 pm

I think we can all agree that Khan would at least be a DIFFERENT style to Floyd's recent opponents. That's enough to make it more interesting for me. There's really no-one else apart from Pacquiao, who would still be my first choice to fight him. There is no possible universe in which Mayweather fights Golovkin.

sittingringside

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 15 Dec 2014, 5:12 pm

I think Garcia will always be stylistically wrong for Khan - he's got a chin and a swing.

But Khan will always win rounds against him, therefore there's no reason why, sometimes, providing he can last 12, he shouldn't be able to take a decision win.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Mon 15 Dec 2014, 7:04 pm

I dont see any big improvement in Khan (at least in terms of his weakness). His performances reflect the type of opponent he is against.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by sittingringside Mon 15 Dec 2014, 8:56 pm

catchweight wrote:I dont see any big improvement in Khan (at least in terms of his weakness). His performances reflect the type of opponent he is against.

The style of his opponents definitely helps him look good, but he definitely looks more disciplined in his boxing.

sittingringside

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 15 Dec 2014, 11:26 pm

Remember having a debate on the old beeb board after watching one of khan's very early pro fights, and really fearing for how reckless he was, that he was going to have his whiskers checked if he didn't calm down and be more selective with his shots. Didn't take long for the checks to happen.

Looking back its staggering how long it's taken for someone to simply get him to throw his punches in twos and threes not tens and elevens. I'm not sure how much else has changed to be honest, but it was the patently obvious one. It makes him less exciting but if he's in range for less time, it automatically reduces his chances of getting hit. Whether you would call it a defensive improvement is debateable, but it's an improvement in his fight management. I'm not expecting to see him looking like nicolino locche anytime soon  but progress is progress.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by sittingringside Mon 15 Dec 2014, 11:42 pm

milkyboy wrote:Remember having a debate on the old beeb board after watching one of khan's very early pro fights, and really fearing for how reckless he was, that he was going to have his whiskers checked if he didn't calm down and be more selective with his shots. Didn't take long for the checks to happen.

Looking back its staggering how long it's taken for someone to simply get him to throw his punches in twos and threes not tens and elevens. I'm not sure how much else has changed to be honest, but it was the patently obvious one. It makes him less exciting but if he's in range for less time, it automatically reduces his chances of getting hit. Whether you would call it a defensive improvement is debateable, but it's an improvement in his fight management. I'm not expecting to see him looking like nicolino locche anytime soon  but progress is progress.

Spot on really. He's still not quite what I would call a ring general, but the fact is that his one really outstanding attribute, his handspeed, is hard enough for most opponents to overcome if he uses basic boxing sense and doesn't sit in the pocket.

sittingringside

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Wed 17 Dec 2014, 2:03 pm

Coxy001 wrote:Disagree on Garcia tunes, just feel that the brawling style is all wrong for Khan in terms of the end result. Yes, he may bank rounds in the bag but just feel he walks on to something sooner or later. That and once buzzed he goes in to autopilot 'engage' mode and all fight plans go flying out the window at a rate of knots.

I think he looks a bit more composed, and if he fought him again he would be more aware he was winning the round and not need to lunge forward as much, I also thought Garcia got under his skin and made him fight more aggressively.

Thing with Mayweather is that he could in theory do a Hopkins. He is always in great shape and much like BHop hasn't exactly been in many wars. He's a young 37 (or whatever he is), his legs have slowed down a bit but I think that may be more a willingness to engage a bit more knowing he's still good enough to win rather than it being purely old age. Lest we not forget he absolutely bamboozled Alvarez in to submission with more feints than you can shake a stick at, just fail to see how Khan puts up any more of a fight when all he has going for him is quick hands (i.e. doesn't have hulk power/much of a chin/FMJ defense etc).

I think his chin is over blown, The times he he been floored is when he has been Smashed after being left open or caught lunging. Ok he does not have a granite chin but I do not think its weak as such. You leave your self open to big shots then anyone goes down. Khan would also attack in response to getting hit, rather than be smart with a jab, and holding and smothering... He was taking some big shots from Garcia before the ref stopped him on his feet.

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Wed 17 Dec 2014, 2:10 pm

I also think Khan is happier at the weight at looks very at home there, hitting harder but if anything looks even faster. I would say right now he is the fastest boxer in the world.

Also don't forget, sometimes going up a weight can help your punch resistance, more strength around the neck and less time draining weight. He will always have a vulnerability against the really big punches, but has shown he can still work around that and take a 12 round fight.

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 17 Dec 2014, 3:34 pm

tunes666 wrote:
Coxy001 wrote:Disagree on Garcia tunes, just feel that the brawling style is all wrong for Khan in terms of the end result. Yes, he may bank rounds in the bag but just feel he walks on to something sooner or later. That and once buzzed he goes in to autopilot 'engage' mode and all fight plans go flying out the window at a rate of knots.

I think he looks a bit more composed, and if he fought him again he would be more aware he was winning the round and not need to lunge forward as much, I also thought Garcia got under his skin and made him fight more aggressively.

I think his chin is over blown, The times he he been floored is when he has been Smashed after being left open or caught lunging. Ok he does not have a granite chin but I do not think its weak as such. You leave your self open to big shots then anyone goes down.  Khan would also attack in response to getting hit, rather than be smart with a jab, and holding and smothering...   He was taking some big shots from Garcia before the ref stopped him on his feet.
Bruno never got knocked out clean with a single shot but once he was tagged he was wide open to shipping heavy blows which basically ended the fight. You get to a certain level and fighters who hurt you can finish you off if they get the chance. Khan appears to have learned not to linger in the pocket and risk getting tagged but the top notch fighters will always find a way eventually. If Khan had bigger one punch power he'd be a formidable fighter and be able to get those "top" fighters out of there before they had the chance to land anything dangerous. As it is, there's still a fragility about him, but he's learning to deal with it and must be commended for it. Still think some of his attacks are a little ragged and could do with a bit more finesse however, I don't think it's too fanciful to suggest he could create problems for Mayweather. Manny is a different kettle of fish as he loves a scrap and in a shootout I think he stops Khan, however, Amir has the hand speed and footwork to rack up the points and force Mayweather to go looking for him which might make for a very entertaining spectacle. Two guys who aren't noted big punchers and have been wobbled in the past trading blows...wouldn't like to be the bloke who bet $10,000 on that one

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 17 Dec 2014, 4:15 pm

tunes666 wrote:I also think Khan is happier at the weight at looks very at home there, hitting harder but if anything looks even faster.  I would say right now he is the fastest boxer in the world.

I agree. I think he's hitting harder partly due to the weight increase, but also due to the change in style. Throwing in 3s and 4s is allowing him to plant his feet a little more, whereas previously trying to throw massive flurries meant they were more stinging than powerful.

Fastest at this weight, maybe.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 17 Dec 2014, 7:06 pm

I think he has the fastest hands at this weight, though there's stiff competition with floyd and manny. Not sure where this confidence in his power has come from. I didn't see much evidence of it on Saturday.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Wed 17 Dec 2014, 7:52 pm

I havent seen much change in Khan. He tends to look very good against certain fighters and people say hes changed or turned a corner. Then he comes unstuck again.

His opponents have generally been chosen to suit him - Maidana and Prescott being the exceptions.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 17 Dec 2014, 9:28 pm

Maidana, Prescott...Peterson, Garcia.

Saturday for me, showed a more considered khan, but the reality, as catchy says, is he's always looked good against boxers and struggled with guys who apply pressure. Given how mediocre he looked post Garcia there was a school of thought that he was done. But it was hard to tell as it may just have been the type of opponent, getting to grips with a new trainer, and apparently not putting the hours in.

What have we learnt? Well we've learnt he's not done, that fit and motivated and under the guidance of hunter he's a more thoughtful fighter.

What we don't know is whether he would look any better against a pressure fighter now than he did a few years ago.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed 17 Dec 2014, 9:34 pm

Yeah, didn't see much in him which suggested his power was overwhelming Alexander. Also thought his punches got a little slappy when he threw combos. His hands are blitz though, I'll give him that.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Wed 17 Dec 2014, 9:51 pm

Garcia and Peterson (Diaz too) were picked to make Khan look good. They were just able to upset the applecart. They werent seen as dangerous fights for Khan.

I think Maidana and Prescott to a lesser extent were the only opponents he faced that going into it were seen as dangerous fights for him.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 18 Dec 2014, 8:51 am

Peterson wasn't meant to be a dangerous fight for him, but:

1. Khan took his eye off the ball and concentrated too much on Floyd 'next'; and

2. HE WAS JUICED!!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 18 Dec 2014, 9:37 am

Even allowing for Lamont's juice, Khan's sloppy showing and the point deductions, I still struggle to give Peterson anything better than a draw at best in that fight, too. Not sure what the general consensus is now on that front, but from memory more seemed to have it in favour of Khan (or at least had him retaining his belts via a draw) than had Peterson winning - albeit it must have been close - but in general most didn't seem too fussed because it was Khan and a fair few were glad to see him lose.

I thought the decision, while not a clear-cut and outright robbery, was certainly more dubious than the first Kessler-Froch fight the previous year - which wasn't really dubious at all in my eyes, as I had Kessler winning by a round or two. But at the time there were plenty of people suggesting that a change of venue would have seen it go in Froch's favour and even now there are still some who take exception to that verdict, whereas it wasn't really until Peterson's positive test came to light a few months later that Khan received any real sympathy over losing his belts like that, from my recollection.

I think over time people are coming to appreciate Khan more. The Peterson and Garcia losses saw him come crashing right back down to earth after a great run where he got a bit too full of himself for some people's taste (not me, as I tend to take most things boxers say with a pinch of salt and I've always admired Khan's attitude and work ethic when it comes to rebounding from setbacks) and the way he's taken stock, made the decision to leave the 'celebrity' trainer and still shown a willingness to improve and target the best fighters out there has got even his biggest critics applauding him, I think.

I still think he's behind Manny in the queue for Mayweather, but can't blame Khan for wanting the Floyd gig and I'd much rather see him getting it than someone like Garcia who, while arguably more deserving on paper, brings basically nowt to the table to offset what Floyd does. If Khan doesn't get that fight, I've got no doubt that he'll happily come back to the UK to face Brook, as well.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Thu 18 Dec 2014, 9:53 am

With the point deductions (that I thought were fair), I gave it to Peterson by a round.

Peterson has had a very lucky career in my opinion - he is like the Chisora of his division - just continually plodding forward swinging.

However, that night Khan had no answer than to keep pushing him away that the referee warned him numerous times about.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 18 Dec 2014, 10:14 am

Fair enough with regards to scoring, Adam. A close fight whichever way you slice it but I just felt more comfortable giving it to Khan.

I don't really dispute the point deductions either, just to clarify. It's not really that common to see fighters penalised for pushing like that - but that doesn't mean the referee is wrong if he bucks that trend. You could argue the fact that it became such a big deal says more about other referee's being too lenient rather than this particular one being too harsh.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro147 Thu 18 Dec 2014, 10:19 am

I don't think Khan has a great engine and to me is his biggest problem. I think he looks really good and explosive for six rounds or so. But he uses a lot of energy due to his speed and I don't think it's a weight issue either as last weekend it appeared to be the same, in my opinion.

The longer the fight goes, the more power and speed he loses and more importantly, seems to leave himself open a bit more as he's not as switched on. He wasn't punished against Alexander as he's not a top drawer fighter like Floyd or Manny. Although this takes nothing away from the performance as can only beat what's on front of you and he did it well.

I think over 12 rounds Floyd starts to time him better and better and takes a clear decision on all cards.

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 18 Dec 2014, 10:37 am

Think Khan coasted at times with Alexander because he knew he could. Devon is known for getting easily discouraged in fights and was showing signs of not fancying the job from the early rounds. He had one decent round (8th?) but apart from that, it was relatively smooth sailing for Khan. You'd have to think/believe/hope that against Manny/Floyd, his focus would be absolute.

Still think Manny steamrollers Amir whereas Floyd struggles for large parts of the fight and may just have to pull out one of his best performances to rescue the fight in the later rounds

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Thu 18 Dec 2014, 10:23 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
tunes666 wrote:

I think his chin is over blown, The times he he been floored is when he has been Smashed after being left open or caught lunging. Ok he does not have a granite chin but I do not think its weak as such. You leave your self open to big shots then anyone goes down.  Khan would also attack in response to getting hit, rather than be smart with a jab, and holding and smothering...   He was taking some big shots from Garcia before the ref stopped him on his feet.  
Bruno never got knocked out clean with a single shot but once he was tagged he was wide open to shipping heavy blows which basically ended the fight. You get to a certain level and fighters who hurt you can finish you off if they get the chance. Khan appears to have learned not to linger in the pocket and risk getting tagged but the top notch fighters will always find a way eventually. If Khan had bigger one punch power he'd be a formidable fighter and be able to get those "top" fighters out of there before they had the chance to land anything dangerous. As it is, there's still a fragility about him, but he's learning to deal with it and must be commended for it. Still think some of his attacks are a little ragged and could do with a bit more finesse however, I don't think it's too fanciful to suggest he could create problems for Mayweather. Manny is a different kettle of fish as he loves a scrap and in a shootout I think he stops Khan, however, Amir has the hand speed and footwork to rack up the points and force Mayweather to go looking for him which might make for a very entertaining spectacle. Two guys who aren't noted big punchers and have been wobbled in the past trading blows...wouldn't like to be the bloke who bet $10,000 on that one

fair points, But let's not look at Prescott which KHTFO, that was simply good night of punch. So really we got Garcia and Maidana who both hit very hard Garcia got him, Maidana came close But Khan did see the round out and go on to win another round.. when he recently went down against that other chap recently he hang on ok as well. So I agree his chin is a weak point but would not call it a complete flaw in his armor.

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 19 Dec 2014, 10:00 am

tunes666 wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:
tunes666 wrote:

fair points,  But let's not look at Prescott which KHTFO,  that was simply good night  of  punch.   So really we got Garcia and Maidana who both hit very hard Garcia got him,  Maidana came close But Khan did see the round out and go on to win another round..  when he recently went down against that other chap recently he hang on ok as well. So I agree his chin is a weak point but would not call it a complete flaw in his armor.
You know a "weak point" and a "flaw" are basically the same thing?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5