The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ali's strangest fight vs Antonio Inoki

+5
wheelchair1991
Strongback
Coxy001
mobilemaster8
Adam D
9 posters

Go down

Ali's strangest fight vs Antonio Inoki Empty Ali's strangest fight vs Antonio Inoki

Post by Adam D Mon 22 Dec 2014, 9:49 am

Firstly, get well soon, Cass!

Secondly, I read about the match he had with a Japanese wrestler which many state as part of the reason for his career slide.

As I am lazy, I cant be bothered to try and type something original up about it so have copied this from Wiki. Absolutely fascinating and bizarre at the same time!

Background
In April 1975, at a reception held in the United States, Muhammad Ali was introduced to Ichiro Hatta, president of the Japanese Amateur Wrestling Association. Ali characteristically bragged to Hatta: "Isn't there any Oriental fighter who will challenge me? I'll give him one million dollars if he wins". This flippant remark made headlines in Japan, and Ali's challenge was accepted by Inoki, whose financial backers offered the boxer $6 million for the fight. The deal was struck in March 1976, and the fight was scheduled for June 26 at Tokyo's Nippon Budokan.

Several press conferences were held to promote the fight. When the two men first met, Ali announced he would nickname Inoki "The Pelican", because of his prominent chin. Inoki replied, via an interpreter: "When your fist connects with my chin, take care that your fist is not damaged". He then presented Ali with a crutch, to use after he had been thrown from the ring. Inoki said afterwards: "I don't know how seriously Muhammad Ali is taking the fight, but if he doesn't take it seriously, he could suffer damage. I'm going in there fighting. I may even break his arm".

On the day of the fight Ali made a scene upon his arrival at the airport, bellowing "There will be no Pearl Harbor! Muhammad Ali has returned! There will be no Pearl Harbor!" as he walked past the mass of journalists. Anticipation for the fight was huge; it would be broadcast to 34 countries around the world to an estimated audience of 1.4 billion. Because of time zone differences, the bout was seen on June 25 at over 150 closed circuit TV locations in the US. In New York, pro-wrestling promoter Vince McMahon, Sr. sold tickets to a closed-circuit telecast of the fight at Shea Stadium, and drew a crowd of 32,897. At Shea, the Ali and Inoki fight would be the main event on a card that also featured wrestler André the Giant vs. boxer Chuck Wepner. The Budokan itself was sold out, with the most expensive seats costing 300,000 Yen.

Rules
The fight was contested under specially created rules. Due to varying claims over the years, it is difficult to know the reasons behind their implementation. It has been alleged that the fight was originally to have been a worked match. According to boxing journalist Jim Murphy, the original plan was for Ali to accidentally punch the referee and knock him out. While standing over the referee, looking concerned, Inoki would knock him out with a kick to the head. The referee would then come around and count Ali out, giving Inoki the win in front of his fellow countrymen, and allowing Ali to save face. However, when Ali found out he had to lose, he refused, turning the fixed fight into a real one.

According to Inoki, Ali and his entourage had signed on expecting the fight to be an exhibition rather than a real contest. It was only when they went to see Inoki train six days before the fight, and saw him use a series of brutal drop-kicks and violent grapples on sparring partners, that they sensed it would be legitimate fight. Inoki alleges he was asked by Ali "OK, so when do we do the rehearsal?", with Inoki replying: "No, no. This isn't an exhibition. It's a real fight!"

In the days leading up to the fight Ali and Inoki’s representatives began to renegotiate the rules. A list of restrictions was imposed on Inoki. He would not be allowed to throw, grapple or tackle Ali, and could not land any kicks unless he had one knee on the mat. Ali’s camp also demanded that the rules not be made public before the fight. Judo expert and US Marine Donn Draeger noted: "The rules have been so seriously modified that the contest is no longer boxing versus wrestling. Unless this were done there would be no way to choreograph the match and make it look convincing. Ali can grapple or punch the man down; Inoki is not allowed to leg-dive or tackle. That latter restriction is the same as prohibiting Ali from jabbing. What a farce!".

The fight
As soon as the opening bell rang, Inoki ran the 16-foot gap and slid at the legs of Ali, who sidestepped the attack. Inoki stayed on the ground for all but the first 14 seconds of the three-minute first round, kicking at Ali and landing one clean hit to Ali’s right leg. The majority of the fight saw Inoki on his back kicking Ali’s legs, occasionally connecting. By the third round, a wound had appeared on Ali’s left knee.

Ali began walking around the ring, out of reach of Inoki's kicks, taunting him by shouting "Coward Inoki! Inoki no fight!". In the fourth round, Inoki, still on his back, trapped Ali in a corner and started kicking wildly at his thighs. Ali leapt up on to the ropes and tucked his legs underneath him. In round six, Ali tried to grab Inoki's left ankle as he kicked him, but Inoki wrapped his right leg around Ali's right calf and flipped him over on the canvas. He then rolled over on top of Ali's chest. While in this hold, Inoki elbowed Ali in the face, costing him three points.

Ali did not throw his first punch until the seventh round. In the eighth, Ali's trainer, Angelo Dundee, demanded that Inoki tape the tips of his shoelaces, claiming that one of the eyelets came loose and was cutting Ali's legs. A wound had already opened up on his thigh. In the tenth, Ali threw his second punch, and two more in the thirteenth. He threw only six punches in total during the fight.

The fight, went the fifteen round distance and was scored as a draw. Inoki had been three points up but was docked all three for fouls. The result meant no one had to lose face; Inoki could claim he would have won had it not been for the penalties, whereas Ali could defend himself by saying his opponent had cheated.[4]

Aftermath
The fight was poorly received. The crowd at the Budokan threw rubbish into the ring and chanted "Money back! Money back!". Donn Draeger said of the response: "the Budokan janitorial people took almost a full day to clean up the garbage that was hurled at the two 'combatants' as the result of their lousy performance".

The public, unaware of the restrictions put on Inoki, were critical of his tactics during the fight. Inoki’s right leg, the leg he had used for the majority of his kicks was broken. During the fight Ali’s left leg was badly swollen and bleeding, which led to an infection. He also suffered two blood clots in his legs affecting his mobility for the remainder of his boxing career. At one point amputation was also discussed.

Legacy
The fight is considered by boxing writers and fans as one of the most embarrassing moments in Ali’s career. Ali and Inoki became good friends following the fight. Inoki started using Ali's theme music, "The Greatest" (taken from the film), as his own signature tune, and borrowed the catchphrase "bom-ba-ye" from Ali's fans at the Rumble in the Jungle. Ali would continue to box for the next five years. In 1978 he lost the WBA and WBC heavyweight championships to Leon Spinks, but regained the WBA title (the WBC had stripped Spinks of his title due to his refusal to fight Ken Norton, the Number 1 contender) in a rematch the same year. In 1986 Spinks would also fight and lose to Inoki in the eighth round of a match for the WWF World Martial Arts Heavyweight Championship.After a two-year retirement, Ali would lose to Larry Holmes in 1980, and following a unanimous-decision loss to Trevor Berbick in 1981, retired from boxing.

Inoki continued to wrestle for the next twenty two years. In 1989, Inoki established his own political group, the Sports and Peace Party (スポーツ平和党). He was elected to the House of Councillors of the Diet of Japan. In 1990, he was sent to negotiate with Saddam Hussein over the release of Japanese citizens being held hostage in Iraq. He eventually left office in 1995 amid accusations he had been bribed by the Yakuza.[4]

In 1998, 38 years after his wrestling debut, Inoki retired. Ali flew out from America to watch Inoki win his final match against Don "The Predator" Frye. After the match, Ali climbed into the ring and hugged Inoki. Ali's representative read a message over the PA:

"It was 1976 when I fought Antonio Inoki at the Budokan. In the ring, we were tough opponents. After that, we built love and friendship with mutual respect. So, I feel a little less lonely now that Antonio has retired. It is my honour to be standing on the ring with my good friend after 22 years. Our future is bright and has a clear vision. Antonio Inoki and I put our best efforts into making world peace through sports, to prove there is only one mankind beyond the sexual, ethnical [sic] or cultural differences. It is my pleasure to come here today.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Ali's strangest fight vs Antonio Inoki Empty Re: Ali's strangest fight vs Antonio Inoki

Post by mobilemaster8 Mon 22 Dec 2014, 11:09 am

What the hell? Haha great read mate but never knew this even existed?!

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Ali's strangest fight vs Antonio Inoki Empty Re: Ali's strangest fight vs Antonio Inoki

Post by Adam D Mon 22 Dec 2014, 11:38 am

mobilemaster8 wrote:What the hell? Haha great read mate but never knew this even existed?!

Same for me!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Mon 22 Dec 2014, 11:50 am

WTF?! Never knew this existed! Truss has taught me many things though and the main one being boxing history didn't start until the 1980s with SRL, Hearns etc Wink

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon 22 Dec 2014, 2:44 pm

I've seen it before. Shameful stuff.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Mon 22 Dec 2014, 3:04 pm

Id read about this but never seen it, bad mistake by ali really in hindsight

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Mon 22 Dec 2014, 3:53 pm

Stumbled across this a few years ago! Totally ridiculous idea. If they were going to limit things in Ali's favour why not make it a stand up boxing match with both wearing smaller gloves or give him a bat or something...

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 22 Dec 2014, 5:44 pm

wheelchair1991 wrote:Id read about this but never seen it, bad mistake by ali really in hindsight
Yeah, it's this that stops him being regarded as one of the greatest fighters who ever lived isn't it?

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon 22 Dec 2014, 6:02 pm

Jeez Ali's last days as a fighter really were farcical. Even weird, farcical fights had blind judges in his favour.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Mon 22 Dec 2014, 8:34 pm

Ali's management were blood sucking clowns.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Mon 22 Dec 2014, 10:20 pm

I had thought this 'fight' had happened during ali's ban. At least that would have made some sense. I've watched it before, but never knew of the rules. It just seemed weird that inoki lay on his back for the whole fight. I'd say there was more than a bit of hyperbole involved in saying ali might need amputation.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Mon 22 Dec 2014, 11:38 pm

I just ment damaging his legs etc like that dave not his standing with the fans or historic importance

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down