The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Impact Debut Results on Destination America

+3
westisbest
DrDeath
Adam D
7 posters

Go down

Impact Debut Results on Destination America Empty Impact Debut Results on Destination America

Post by Adam D Thu 08 Jan 2015, 9:50 am

From our friends at TNAylum.com

By Talon
January 7, 2015
Manhattan Center, New York City

New IMPACT intro to open the premiere on Destination America. Pretty cool. Bobby Roode, James Storm and MVP gave their boys a pep talk on a bus. A brawl erupted out on the street among the entire roster.

The brawl made its way to the ring. There was a loud "This is awesome" chant. Kurt Angle came out and pumped up the crowd. Angle announced that all of the champions would defend their titles tonight. MVP interrupted Angle. He mocked New York City by turning his back on them. He ran his mouth calling Kurt hollow. Kurt announced that he stepped down as Director of Operations but he has been reactivated as a wrestler. He announced Kurt Angle vs MVP in a Street Fight RIGHT NOW.

Kurt Angle defeated MVP in a Street Fight after the Angle Slam. Good back and forth match here and a nice brawl to open IMPACT. It was a very hot open to this show.

MVP yelled at Kenny King backstage for not being with him ringside. MVP said he would show Lashley why he was champion in the first place.

To hype IMPACT Wrestling: Unlocked, Mike Tenay interviewed James Storm and asked him about The Revolution. Storm hyped up The Revolution and told Mike that his momma should have warned him about Storm.

The Revolution defeated The Wolves to retain the Tag Team Titles. Sanada and Manik accompanied Storm and Abyss to the ring. The Hardys came out to even the odds. Sanada and Manik got involved but the Hardys fended them off. Hardy accidentally ran into Eddie Edwards which lead to a Storm Last Call to retain the titles. Fun match while it lasted. Love Edwards and Davey's new tattoo.

MVP was running Lashley down backstage taking credit for all of his achievements. Lashley pushed him against the wall and said it was about him getting his title back. MVP left with Kenny King wishing Lashley luck as he is on his own.

EC3 came to the ring where Jeremy Borash was standing. Tyrus pulled out an unconscious Rockstar Spud from the back. EC3 was going to shave his head but JB asked him if that was enough. JB slapped EC3 and got laid out by Tyrus. Tyrus then held Rockstar Spud down as EC3 shaved part of Borash's head. Poor JB.

Austin Aries defeated Low Ki with a Brainbuster to win the X Division Title. Excellent back and forth match. Pretty hard hitting. Would love to see more between the two. Memorable night so far.

The knockout were in the ring ready for a Knockouts Title Battle Royal. DJ Z welcomed back Robbie E. Robbie came out and blamed Brooke Tessmacher for losing. He went on talking but was interrupted by the entrance of Knockouts Champion, Taryn Terrell.

Taryn Terrell won the Knockouts Battle Royal to retain the Knockouts Championship. She last eliminated Gail Kim and Havok. During the match, Brooke returned and attacked Robbie E at ringside. After the match, Havok beat down on Terrell. The lights went out and when they came back on AWESOME KONG WAS IN THE RING. They went face to face but Havok eventually backed down. Kong chokeslammed a referee. This was a major mark-out moment for me. Never thought Kong would return to IMPACT.

Lashley defeated Bobby Roode to win the World Heavyweight Title. At the end of the match, the referee got laid out. MVP and Kenny King came to the ring with two masked men, revealed to be Samoa Joe and Low Ki. Kurt Angle tried to lay them out but was quickly overwhelmed. The villains went after Roode when Eric Young came out with a chair. He ended up laying out Roode which allowed Lashley to get the pin. The ending was an interesting cliffhanger preceded by a very good main event match.

Good start to their era on Destination America.

http://www.tnasylum.com/2015/01/17-impact-wrestling-coverage.html#more

Thoughts?

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Impact Debut Results on Destination America Empty Re: Impact Debut Results on Destination America

Post by DrDeath Thu 08 Jan 2015, 12:14 pm

Amazing news that Kong is back - Quite frankly this show wipes the floor with what WWE churned out this week!

EY turning along with Joe etc is a very interesting storyling and putting the belt back on Lashley makes me wonder where they are going in the future.

Brilliant show TNA!

DrDeath

Back to top Go down

Impact Debut Results on Destination America Empty Re: Impact Debut Results on Destination America

Post by westisbest Thu 08 Jan 2015, 12:55 pm

Sounds very good.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by TheCultOfPersonality Thu 08 Jan 2015, 1:25 pm

I thought this was a really great show. The opening video was something different and looked pretty cool, was one of the highlights of the show.

Other highlights;

The crowd was hot all night.

EC3 continues to be an excellent heel, he has a great connection with the crowd.

Awesome Kong vs Havok or Taryn will be interesting, glad she's back

James Storm and the Revolution is probably my favourite thing going in TNA, Storm plays the role so well.

However, not sure about the ending. I didn't mind EY turning on Roode but not to pleased with another heel stable of MVP, King, Joe and Ki. The roster is pretty heel heavy now, only leaving Roode, Angle and Aries as the top faces.

TheCultOfPersonality

Back to top Go down

Post by crippledtart Thu 08 Jan 2015, 8:38 pm

On the plus side, it sounds better than Raw has been recently. On the downside, that's like choosing which is the best cancer.

For me it sounds like the same old mistakes. No foundations, no build-up to anything, just a massive bunch of stuff hotshotted out there. Very Russo-esque. It answers the question of how much time was dedicated to writing a compelling wrestling product amongst all the new logos and contract announcements. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't even book the show until that morning.

When I wrote this article a couple of months ago on how I would book the first episode of Impact on Destination America, I saw it as the first week of a long-term rehabilitation, training the audience to invest in storylines, characters, matches and titles with the promise of a satisfying reward for doing so, gaining their trust and faith in the promotion, and building anticipation to see big stars in important matches.

Anyone can write a show where three people turn, the two biggest titles in the promotion change hands, a major star from the past returns, a non-wrestler is viciously attacked, and the most celebrated wrestler on the roster has his first match in months in an impromptu street fight, but how does it build up next week's show, or the week after? That is literally six months of angles in one night. What's more, spread over six months all of those things could have meant more, both before and after they happened.

This episode just maintained the same old TNA status quo that has failed to grow the promotion's audience forever. Next week, Eric Young, Samoa Joe and Lo Ki - if they are even afforded promo time to explain their turns - will babble on about being overlooked and held back by management, and within a couple of months they will have faded back into the same old position on the card again, with at least one of them having probably turned face once more.

You can fill a show with title matches and turns and surprises, but you need to build for the long term. TNA has not found the formula that succeeds yet. This episode of Impact tells me that TNA is no closer to finding that formula. It really isn't difficult.

crippledtart

Back to top Go down

Post by BD21 Thu 08 Jan 2015, 8:46 pm

Turn all the lights off in the crowd to hide the empty seats. Looks like a decent card though.

BD21

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon 12 Jan 2015, 9:03 am

So did anyone watch?

I havent seen the finished show yet so would be interested to see how it played out. Same old or fresh new look/ style?

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Mon 12 Jan 2015, 2:20 pm

Adam D wrote:So did anyone watch?

I havent seen the finished show yet so would be interested to see how it played out. Same old or fresh new look/ style?

I caught most of the show on Sunday  - just missed the very beginning and the Knockouts match.

Can only agree with most of your original post. For the most part nothing very surprising (apart from Awesome Kong's entrance) but well executed and entertaining matches.

The Manhattan Centre setting was very familiar but the set decoration with the new Impact logo was fresh and cool looking. Might just be me but the ring looked new as well, with an unusally clean looking mat. Nice new on-screen graphics. Also like the idea of more backstage footage. As well as seeing what goes on between fights, I guess it gives scope for more story development.

Crowd seemed really up for the show - especially for the Aries - Low Ki match. Haven't heard that much chanting and cheering since Bully put Dixie through a table.

Also like the new commentator. He sounds like he does his homework and has interesting things to say about the wrestlers and the matches. Asks some good questions too for the benefit of more casual fans. Just a shame he has to look to Taz for answers. His butt-kissing of Taz was a little cringeworthy too.

All in all though I really enjoyed it. As you said, the heel turns by Low Ki, Joe and EY seems to mark the start of a new chapter. All great characters so it should make for a good story.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down