The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Groves discusses Golovkin v Murray

+10
Strongback
ShahenshahG
Coxy001
kingraf
Derbymanc
Dipper Brown
TRUSSMAN66
milkyboy
TopHat24/7
catchweight
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Groves discusses Golovkin v Murray Empty Groves discusses Golovkin v Murray

Post by catchweight Tue 17 Feb - 19:49

World super-middleweight contender 'Saint' George Groves has experienced firsthand the quality of reigning WBA Super world middleweight champion Gennady 'GGG' Golovkin, but insists Martin Murray is the man to test the Kazakh destroyer when they meet on Saturday (February 21) in Monte Carlo.

Groves, a two-time world title challenger, spent a week in training camp with Golovkin last summer and the pair sparred a number of rounds together. It offered the Londoner the chance to see exactly why Golovkin, 31-0 (28 KOs), is the most feared fighter on the planet right now.

“Sometimes you get a quick puncher who hits hard, like Mike Tyson, but you assume they're not going to last that long,” said Groves. “After three or four rounds, it's likely they'll tire. But Golovkin has a style that allows him to set his own rhythm and get into his own groove and it's hard to knock him out of it.

“To beat him, you can't only be good at one thing. If you're just fast, you won't beat him. If you just have power, you won't beat him. He has so much time in the pocket to work you out. He'll find the openings.

“The most impressive thing I discovered was that he's exceptional at setting traps. He'll have guys thinking they'll avoid his punch power and move around the ring, yet he cuts the ring off, feints, sets traps and quickly gets them to fight his fight.

“It doesn't take him long. Once the ring closes on them, he goes to work and he has a great variety of shots, he works the body well, and, when he sees an opening, he has so much time. He's a wily old cat who can really bite.

“Ultimately, you're always on a knife edge with someone like Golovkin. You've got to be prepared to punch with him. You've got to be prepared to take a shot to land a shot at times. If you're too concerned about getting hit, you'll panic, make a mistake and end up getting hit and hurt. You have to try and land some shots of your own and command his respect. If he's got nothing to worry about, he'll be in that groove and rhythm of his all day.

“And you're not dealing with a technically poor fighter who has incredible punch power. He has incredible punch power and elite-level technical ability. This means he's always in the right place at the right time, with perfect balance, to land some of the most hurtful shots in boxing. That's a scary thing for most opponents.”

Groves concedes that Murray, 29-1-1 (12 KOs), isn't the type to get scared or overawed when placed in a daunting situation. In fact, he's shown in previous world title tilts, against Felix Sturm and Sergio Martinez, that he's the sort of fighter who rises to the occasion.

“I think Martin Murray is certainly a world-class operator and he has looked exceptional at times, usually when asked to step up,” said Groves. “He's proven himself to be one of the best in the division.

“Golovkin has gone through every one of his opponents like a hot knife through butter, so you wouldn't back against him or begrudge him being the favourite, but I get the impression Murray is a very tough man to beat. He's strong, he has a good boxing brain, he has a good variety of punches and he's very experienced.

“I also like the fact Murray has a bit of a maverick approach to boxing. He isn't signed to a standard UK promoter, he's got his own ideas and I understand and appreciate that. He's his own man. In these circumstances, that's the best way to be. And, with the hype around Golovkin, ignorance and single-mindedness could be a real blessing.

“Also, Golovkin is so busy and has been boxing so well, it could be very easy for him to take his eye off the ball or go a little easy in training because he knows he's scheduled for another three or four fights this year.

“Murray is not the sort of opponent you can take lightly. He can change and adapt to a certain degree; we've seen him fight up close with a tight guard and not give much away, and we've seen him box at mid-range and long-range behind a good jab and straight punches. He also looks like he's got good physical strength, so he'll be able to stand toe-to-toe when he needs to.

“All in all, I think it will definitely be one of Golovkin's hardest fights. I don't think Murray will crumble or get taken out early. We've seen good, durable fighters like Matthew Macklin and Daniel Geale crumble early against him, but I don't see Murray going that way.”

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Groves discusses Golovkin v Murray Empty Re: Groves discusses Golovkin v Murray

Post by catchweight Tue 17 Feb - 19:50

Looking forward to this fight immensely

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 18 Feb - 9:41

Great analysis there.

Like Catchweight, I'm really excited for this one. A guy who, in my eyes, beat Martinez in Argentina and Sturm in Germany is a top level operator and should genuinely push GGG. Don't see any blow-out happening, but think the KO will come - probably rounds 6-9.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 18 Feb - 10:31

Didn't realise groves had sparred golovkin. Is there anyone around that weight division groves hasn't sparred with?

Interesting breakdown and decent analysis from George, though I sense he might be being a touch complimentary to Murray. I'm looking forward to this, primarily because I think Murray is tough and organised enough to make the fight last a bit. Do I think he's any better than macklin and geale. Not really if I'm honest, but that doesn't mean he'll roll over... styles and fights etc.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 18 Feb - 10:44

It will be interesting to see if Murray can last beyond halfway and just how long it will take for him to be classed as a "bum" if/when Golovkin forces the stoppage. It will also be interesting to see, if Murray makes a decent showing, just how long the same people take to lambast GGG for being an over-rated hype job.

Like Groves says, it's going to take a great all-round fighter to dispatch GGG but whether Murray has the right boxing attributes to get the job done is open to question. I think he's going to have to box out of his skin just to hang in there for half a dozen rounds.

Wish him luck but GGG does seem like a man on a mission at the moment.

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 18 Feb - 11:04

I think Murray showed against Martinez that he can make a tough night's work for a dangerous opponent by sticking to a game plan with a tight/high guard.

Have a sneaking suspicion a body shot will end this.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 18 Feb - 11:09

Not sure how good Murray is on the back foot...............Sturm and Martinez are not what you'd call presure fighters....

GGG is a middleweight Azumah Nelson.............He's on top of you... making you work even when he's not throwing back.....

I predict an early night..........

Going to be a clever awkward boxer that troubles this guy...........A Ward type..

Murray isn't one of them..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 18 Feb - 11:34

You might be right truss, I certainly wouldn't be surprised if it ended early. Like groves said,  In addition to boxing skills I think you probably need to dig a bit to keep him honest. Murray doesn't have that.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Wed 18 Feb - 11:36

How dare Groves spar Golovkin? What a traitor Wink. Like Truss I see GGG finishing early, within 4. I see Murray as tidy but unspectacular.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 18 Feb - 11:38

Dipper Brown wrote:How dare Groves spar Golovkin? What a traitor Wink. Like Truss I see GGG finishing early, within 4. I see Murray as tidy but unspectacular.
Froch has no desire to fight GGG so Groves isn't betraying anyone. If George was to spar with Chavez then Froch might start to get his knickers in a twist

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Wed 18 Feb - 11:42

Or he could find something else to be a crybaby about (seriously is there anyone that didn't see that, and think Froch was acting the prat)

Does anyone know what time ringwalks are for GGG/Murray and Abraham/Smith?

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 18 Feb - 11:46

Derbymanc wrote:Or he could find something else to be a crybaby about (seriously is there anyone that didn't see that, and think Froch was acting the prat)

I've been told I'm going to a dinner party on Saturday................Really peed about it.....What a night of Boxing !!..........

I'm more interested in whether Smith can beat Abraham second time around......My guess is Abraham is shot..

Expect GGG to beat Murray a la Macklin in three .... and expect him to win as I think Dave suggested...with a body shot !!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 18 Feb - 11:49

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Derbymanc wrote:Or he could find something else to be a crybaby about (seriously is there anyone that didn't see that, and think Froch was acting the prat)

I've been told I'm going to a dinner party on Saturday................Really peed about it.....What a night of Boxing !!..........

I'm more interested in whether Smith can beat Abraham second time around......My guess is Abraham is shot..

Expect GGG to beat Murray a la Macklin in three .... and expect him to win as I think Dave suggested...with a body shot !!
That wasn't me but thanks anyway

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Wed 18 Feb - 11:53

It shows he's thinking about you Dave, awwww love is sweet.

I think Smiths gonna get beat quite easily this time around (I hope not though,) he had his chance last time and the stars just weren't aligned.

I've really got no idea with Macklin and GGG, i'd love to see MM do it but can't see him being able to put up with the power. My biggest hope is that they're not on at the same time.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 18 Feb - 11:56

Derbymanc wrote:It shows he's thinking about you Dave, awwww love is sweet.

I think Smiths gonna get beat quite easily this time around (I hope not though,) he had his chance last time and the stars just weren't aligned.

I've really got no idea with Macklin and GGG, i'd love to see MM do it but can't see him being able to put up with the power. My biggest hope is that they're not on at the same time.

It shows it's the first opinion on Boxing from him.... in all this time that's registered with me..........

and It turns out not to be his !! Cool

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 18 Feb - 11:58

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Derbymanc wrote:It shows he's thinking about you Dave, awwww love is sweet.

It shows it's the first opinion on Boxing from him.... in all this time that's registered with me..........

and It turns out not to be his !! Cool
Not my fault you're too busy thinking about buying blow-up dolls in bars to pay attention to anything else,TRUSSY

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Wed 18 Feb - 13:39

AA to beat Paul Smith second time around. I think he fought the perfect fight to nick it last time but the judges weren't playing ball. Can't see him replicating. He won the lottery but had his ticket pick pocketed.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed 18 Feb - 13:43

The middleweight Floyd Mayweather is gonna need a career night to even push Golovkin. I'm a big Golovkin fan, but
#WarMurray (and not Andy!!!)
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Thu 19 Feb - 9:49

George Groves praises another fighter?! Jesus, thank god I'm sat down.

Going with GGG in rounds 7-9, 5/2 odds which seems like a decent shout. Can see Murray's toughness getting him that far before the ref either feels sorry for him or the corner pulls him out.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 19 Feb - 10:48

Where'd you get those odds Coxy?

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Thu 19 Feb - 11:49

TopHat24/7 wrote:Where'd you get those odds Coxy?

Skybet old boy.

http://www.skybet.com/boxing/upcoming-fights/event/17146718

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 19 Feb - 12:02

Hmmm, don't have an account. Wonder what Betfair are doing....

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Thu 19 Feb - 12:10

Create an account and you'll get £20 (if you match it with a £20 deposit) free to place on say rounds 4-6 as well?

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 19 Feb - 13:21

Set up an account with betfair or William hill via quidco and get a 30 quid cashback as well... Smaller cashbacks available on other sites I believe. New customers only and probably a fair amount of small print. I have no affiliation with any of the aforementioned sites, and take no responsibility for anyone's future gambling addictions.

Milkyboy... the gift that keeps on giving.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Thu 19 Feb - 13:29

milkyboy wrote:Set up an account with betfair or William hill via quidco and get a 30 quid cashback as well... Smaller cashbacks available on other sites I believe. New customers only and probably a fair amount of small print. I have no affiliation with any of the aforementioned sites, and take no responsibility for anyone's future gambling addictions.

You have semented your legacy. Or so Mrs Truss tells me.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 19 Feb - 13:34

You're taking the mick shah... But you've signed up for quidco haven't you. Take my mrs out and show her a better time than you usually do with your 30 quid freebie.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Thu 19 Feb - 13:42

ShahenshahG wrote:
milkyboy wrote:Set up an account with betfair or William hill via quidco and get a 30 quid cashback as well... Smaller cashbacks available on other sites I believe. New customers only and probably a fair amount of small print. I have no affiliation with any of the aforementioned sites, and take no responsibility for anyone's future gambling addictions.

She must've sent you a text as last time I tried speaking to her she has a mouth full of Milkys milk.

With a free bet you don't get the stake back. So if you put £30 on at 5/2 (rounds 7-9 in this instance) you'd get £75 back in your account (rather than the usual £105 if you'd used your own money). Some of these sites also mean you have to deposit first and then get your free bet.

Does anyone see any of these if getting remotely near to losing?

Hughie Fury
Arthur Abraham
Gennady Golovkin
Chris Eubank Jr
Carl Frampton

As the combined odds for all to win are 1.15/1 (source: Skybet).

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Thu 19 Feb - 13:44

I don't bother with online betting, it's a little bit too easy. There's a bookies round the corner from me so I pop in there.

I can't see Smith doing as well as last time when I thought AA won comfortably enough in the end.

I won't be betting on it but if I was having a punt I would go GGG by KO rounds 4-6.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Thu 19 Feb - 13:45

milkyboy wrote:You're taking the mick shah... But you've signed up for quidco haven't you. Take my mrs out and show her a better time than you usually do with your 30 quid freebie.

I don't let her out anymore because:

A: Her mother always tags along
B: After managing to keep em leashed for so long, they've now learned not to hiss at the sight of a passing jew, so neither I nor he have any warning before he gets set upon
And C: I don't want her seeing nuns and adopting their scandalous form of dress.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 19 Feb - 13:54

Coxy001 wrote:
ShahenshahG wrote:

She must've sent you a text as last time I tried speaking to her she has a mouth full of Milkys milk.

With a free bet you don't get the stake back. So if you put £30 on at 5/2 (rounds 7-9 in this instance) you'd get £75 back in your account (rather than the usual £105 if you'd used your own money). Some of these sites also mean you have to deposit first and then get your free bet.

Hughie Fury
Arthur Abraham
Gennady Golovkin
Chris Eubank Jr  
Carl Frampton

... quidco is a cashback deal... You get the bookies deal AND cashback generally paid to you through quidco. Just a loss leader acquisition tool, they know they make significantly more than 30 quid in lifetime value from a typical punter.... But if you're not a typical punter and have the discipline to just make one bet.... Its free money.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Thu 19 Feb - 13:57

Coxy001 wrote:
ShahenshahG wrote:

Hughie Fury
Arthur Abraham
Gennady Golovkin
Chris Eubank Jr  
Carl Frampton

I don't know anything about him but the talk is Eubank's opponent is decent. The odds seem poor. Hard to get 5 winners. I wouldn't touch that.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Thu 19 Feb - 14:06

Strongback wrote:
Coxy001 wrote:
ShahenshahG wrote:

Hughie Fury
Arthur Abraham
Gennady Golovkin
Chris Eubank Jr  
Carl Frampton

I don't know anything about him but the talk is Eubank's opponent is decent.  The odds seem poor. Hard to get 5 winners. I wouldn't touch that.

Hard to get 5 winners when they're all heavy odds on? How many upsets do we see each month..? Not many is the answer

For a 5 fold that for even money is pretty well guaranteed I shall defo be putting some heavy wedge down on it. Eubanks oppo is decent yes, but nothing more than a half decent euro level challenger. Fully expect him to come through and look good in doing so.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 19 Feb - 14:15

1.15/1 for picking five winners does still seem a bit rubbish, especially with so many ways to lose.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Thu 19 Feb - 14:29

Hughie Fury could have an attack of his illness.

AA could have aged overnight.

GGG isn't going to lose.

Eubank is coming off a loss and fighting an apparently live opponent.

Avalos is rated in the Top 5 at the weight by Ring Magazine.

I was told by a bookie when I was a kid that doubles and trebles make him his money because they are so hard to land.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 19 Feb - 14:30

You talked to bookies as a kid....course you did!!!!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Thu 19 Feb - 14:39

Looking forward as well cathweight should be a good night of boxing.

Does this fight clash with the Smith vs Abraham one?

Predictions:

GGG to stop Murray late but should be a really good fight up until that point

Smith to outgoing the King in Berlin

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 19 Feb - 14:45

Murray to put up a decent showing but go out on his shield.

Think Abraham is on the slide but it's whether or not Smith can replicate his previous effort. I think he fought the fight of his life last time and was spurred on by the fact he couldn't believe how well he was doing and getting no reaction from Abraham. I think Smith is going to have to do the same again but if Abraham ups his game even slightly I think that will be enough to sway the judges. How much motivation outside of feeling cheated last time does Smith really have?

Wish them both well though I can't realistically see them winning anything but a bit of credit for a game but ultimately futile effort.

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Thu 19 Feb - 14:47

Strongy, we shall see old boy.

I was told by a bookie when I was a kid that taking a double end'r was his sort of thing and I'd get sweets if I played with him

Fixed that for you.

The way I look at it is that if either of them loses it would be considered a massive upset. Thus even money is ok for me with 5 fights. Have won plenty of these in the past, tend to stay away from "closer" fights (or at least those I perceive to be close). To go back across your answers:

Hughie Fury could have an attack of his illness.

It would have to mean him losing his arms to lose.

AA could have aged overnight.

Expect him to give Smith hell, still beat him handily in their first fight and suspect it was AA taking him a bit lightly and Smith giving a Buster Douglas sort of raise in performance.

GGG isn't going to lose.

Isn't ever going to to lose you mean.

Eubank is coming off a loss and fighting an apparently live opponent.

Think he would've learnt a lot from it, mainly pacing himself through a fight and not letting rounds drift away from him.

Avalos is rated in the Top 5 at the weight by Ring Magazine.

Save for Quigg, Rigo & Frampton the division isn't exactly stacked. Stands a punchers chance as think he can bang, but should be a fairly easy night. Is a sort of Hatton vs Urango sort of fight, rankings say it could be close but we all know that there's only gonna be one winner.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Thu 19 Feb - 14:50

DAVE667 wrote:You talked to bookies as a kid....course you did!!!!!!!!!!

As a teenager I knew the guy who worked behind the counter in my local bookies, he also ran the video shop and I rented a lot of videos at the time. He was the one who told me to stay away from doubles and trebles. He was seeing how badly they performed day in day out.

Also my father is a horse racing fanatic so we also went to a lot of race meetings growing up as kids.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 19 Feb - 14:53

Coxy001 wrote:George Groves praises another fighter?! Jesus, thank god I'm sat down.

Going with GGG in rounds 7-9, 5/2 odds which seems like a decent shout. Can see Murray's toughness getting him that far before the ref either feels sorry for him or the corner pulls him out.

On another thread you picked Murray to win..........."You heard it here first"....

Fickle aren't we ??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Thu 19 Feb - 15:06

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Coxy001 wrote:George Groves praises another fighter?! Jesus, thank god I'm sat down.

On another thread you picked Murray to win..........."You heard it here first"....

Fickle aren't we ??

Truss, I was being facetious. GGG would still win with one arm cut off as he tries to get through the ropes and borderline bleeds to death whilst knocking 7 shades of brown stuff out of Murray.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 19 Feb - 15:31

Strongback wrote:

As a teenager I knew the guy who worked behind the counter in my local bookies, he also ran the video shop and I rented a lot of videos at the time. He was the one who told me to stay away from doubles and trebles. He was seeing how badly they performed day in day out.

Also my father is a horse racing fanatic so we also went to a lot of race meetings growing up as kids.
Course you did...off you toddle mate, I think Alan Sugar is ringing to ask you for some advice

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Thu 19 Feb - 16:26

DAVE667 wrote:
Strongback wrote:

Course you did...off you toddle mate, I think Alan Sugar is ringing to ask you for some advice

I can't help the fact you come from Bradford and had a desolate childhood. It's not my fault you can't believe my father took me horse racing. There are lots of good racecourses within close proximity to where I grew up and now live.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Thu 19 Feb - 16:28

Here goes another thread down the bin....

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 19 Feb - 16:58

Girlfriend's family owns a few horses. None of them thoroughbreds... or even race horses. But I believe this makes me sufficiently knowledgeable to give my two cents on betting.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Thu 19 Feb - 17:19

I once went to Belle Vue, i'm now sufficiently experienced to tell you about dog racing.

I've also watched the kids train to box and am looking forward to being the next world champion trainer etc etc etc.

Let him have his little dreams, it does us no harm and we know he's full of cr@p

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Thu 19 Feb - 17:29

I used to manage a betting shop and whilst I don't wish to fan the flames he is actually correct about the doubles and trebles stuff.

It's all to do with multiplication of the overround. If you'd like me to to explain because google doesn't help then just shout folks, I like to feel needed.

Whether the background story is true I couldn't say mind you.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Thu 19 Feb - 17:33

Groves discusses Golovkin v Murray 1347041234

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 19 Feb - 18:06

DAVE667 wrote:
Strongback wrote:

Arnie wants some advice too !!..............He couldn't lift what Strongy could at 16...........and he's the greatest ever !!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Thu 19 Feb - 18:10

I used to eat other people's fingernails off the floor.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next