Anyone fancy a game?

Go down

Anyone fancy a game?

Post by newballs on Fri 20 Feb 2015, 7:09 pm

Shane Warme tweeted "KP, Stokes, Bopara?" after the latest humiliation.

Truth is could and should have been just about anyone else being in the frame following the first debacle. Just how did exactly the same team get selected second time round and do we have to endure much more from these muppets?

Question for you. With bowling so bad why on earth was Tredwell not given a go? Bopara would have at least given an option to the dross served up by the bowlers. Plus why oh why was Stokes not even in the squad and don't even get me started on the KP debate.

One word in summary. Abysmal.

newballs

Back to top Go down

Re: Anyone fancy a game?

Post by Gooseberry on Mon 23 Feb 2015, 10:08 am

Stokes isnt in the squad because his form was woeful up till the point it was selected. He played himself out of a spot. His record in ODIs is pretty awful.
Hindsight pick off the back of a couple of decent non international games, its hardly crime of the century hes not there, nor are england short of right arm medium fasts in their squad.

Bopara, dropped on form. Bowling has been negated by conditions, new rules etc. Really does Warne think a couple of overs of dibbly dobblers and 3 runs in 10 balls would make the difference?

Tredwell, for who? Have any spinners done well in this tournament on Aussie wickets?

KP wasnt fully fit when the squad was selected, regardless of anything else he wouldve been a massive risk. He wasnt guaranteed any cricket in the months building up to the tournament and was in god awful form up to the BBL stretching back a considerable period...its not like his omnipotent presence helped England last time they were in Aus. He also tried to retire himself from ODIs ages ago and hasnt played one in years.
Anyway the KP thing is what it is.

Warne is a professional troll, self promoter and narcissist who never got over missing out on captaining his country.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR on Mon 23 Feb 2015, 10:50 am

Excellent post Gooseberry. KP's best mate Shane Warne tweets "where is KP". It's all pretty transparent isn't it!

Stokes spot on, had a terrible tour in SL and was justifiably dropped. If Warne thinks Bopara is the answer then I despair....

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella on Mon 23 Feb 2015, 10:54 am

Stokes should have been picked for squad balance reasons, and that's not hindsight talking. Picking Ballance for Cook, is almost like for like.
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea on Mon 23 Feb 2015, 11:19 am

nah, when Stokes last played for England he was utterly dreadful, going for about ten an over whenever he came on to bowl. England were quite right to drop him at the time, though I'm pleased he's been doing better since, as he's a talented cricketer who should very much be a part of England's future plans. Unfortunate that his shocking form coincided with the WC squad being picked, but the right call.

Warnie has a soft spot on Bops, not too sure why TBH, but again Bops's form leading up to the WC had been shocking, and he just wasn't adding anything to the team. Whether Ballance has done any better is up for debate, but again England were right to make the change (though whether they've made the right one is also up for debate).

Overall, Ballance, fine List-A record though he has, hasn't looked an international standard ODI players TBH. I said on the other thread that Taylor doesn't seem quite right at n°6 either (not sure his game is hitting out from the get-go), but England's squad selection has them a bit backed into a corner, which is what Stella is getting at.

For me, three options:

1) Put Taylor/Root at 4 and 5 (in whatever order), Morgan at 6 and Buttler at 7. Would quite like to see Hales given a go at 3 instead of Ballance, but may not happen.

2) Drop Ballance, bring Taylor back up to 3, and bring back Bops at 6/7, or try someone else there (Hales? Ballance? Moeen?)

3) Drop Ballance, Taylor back to 3, and pick five bowlers. Obviously little point in picking 5 seamers, and think for balance of the batting you need Woakes and Jordan in there in that case, so would mean picking Tredwell and Jordan and dropping one of Broad/Finn/Anderson.

I don't really expect England to make any of those changes mind, but I'd probably go with option 1.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella on Mon 23 Feb 2015, 11:22 am

MFC

I should have added that Patel or any other decent batting all-rounder would have been a better option, than another batter.
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea on Mon 23 Feb 2015, 11:28 am

yes England's squad does feel top-heavy. I suspect they'll persevere with Taylor at 6, and I hope he can succeed there (he's certainly a fine player) but my gut feeling is he needs time at the start of his innings to get going (he showed against Aus he can make up for lost time). I initially thought England had picked Ballance in a late-order hitting capacity (which he does for an extent to Yorkshire) which would obviously have made more sense...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella on Mon 23 Feb 2015, 11:33 am

Taylor was doing fine at three, so why move him? To accommodate Ballance, a player that bats lower down the order (4 or 5) for his county. There's some weird thinking going on.
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half on Mon 23 Feb 2015, 4:01 pm

Stella wrote:Taylor was doing fine at three, so why move him? To accommodate Ballance, a player that bats lower down the order (4 or 5) for his county. There's some weird thinking going on.

Makes the assumption that there is ANY thinking going on. Looked for a while as though Moeen at 3 was the choice, allowing Hales and Cook (then) to open and to keep at least one power guy at the crease early on. Hales underperformed, Cook obviously got shifted and Bell brought in and Moeen was suddenly the first choice opener and we reverted to a more orthodox bat at 3, in either Balance or Taylor.

I think on recent form, if you are keeping the openers the same, Taylor should be back to 3, with Root and Morgs at 4 and 5, Buttler at 7 and the bowling kept pretty much as is. Leaves the issue of who comes in at 6 - not sure Ballance is in form, while Ravi Bop clearly isn't and Hales has very little experience batting down the order. Maybe the solution is for Hales to have another chance to open and Moeen to drop to 6...

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by packofwolves on Thu 26 Feb 2015, 9:41 pm

dummy_half wrote:
Stella wrote:Taylor was doing fine at three, so why move him? To accommodate Ballance, a player that bats lower down the order (4 or 5) for his county. There's some weird thinking going on.

Makes the assumption that there is ANY thinking going on. Looked for a while as though Moeen at 3 was the choice, allowing Hales and Cook (then) to open and to keep at least one power guy at the crease early on. Hales underperformed, Cook obviously got shifted and Bell brought in and Moeen was suddenly the first choice opener and we reverted to a more orthodox bat at 3, in either Balance or Taylor.

I think on recent form, if you are keeping the openers the same, Taylor should be back to 3, with Root and Morgs at 4 and 5, Buttler at 7 and the bowling kept pretty much as is. Leaves the issue of who comes in at 6 - not sure Ballance is in form, while Ravi Bop clearly isn't and Hales has very little experience batting down the order. Maybe the solution is for Hales to have another chance to open and Moeen to drop to 6...

If you're working on the basis that Taylor did well at three so should move back there, why on earth would you move the bloke that just scored a ton at a s/r of 120 as an opener out of his opening slot? Thats identifying a mistake and then electing to repeat it. Pretty sure that's a definition of insanity...

packofwolves

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle on Thu 26 Feb 2015, 10:00 pm

Difference was Taylor had done well against Sri Lanka and India, whilst Moeen's ton was against Scotland. He had to score the runs, no-one else did, and it was a bloody good innings but it doesn't answer any of the questions about his ability to play aggressive, fast bowling early on. I agree he is better at 6.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum