Petition to reverse the ICC's decision to reduce the 2019 WC to 10 teams.

Go down

Petition to reverse the ICC's decision to reduce the 2019 WC to 10 teams.

Post by Mike Selig on Wed 25 Feb 2015, 1:23 pm

Hi all,

I think we can all agree that the Ire vs UAE contest just ended has been the most exciting game of the WC so far?

It is worth noting that had the ICC had its way neither side would have been there. Indeed, the 2015 WC was originally announced to be a 10-team tournament between only the full members, and this at a time when Ireland (not a full member) were ranked above Zimbabwe (a full member) and had just completed what is still the highest ever run chase in WC history (in fact they hold 4 of the highest 10 chases after today).

It is also worth noting that the ICC has since decreed the 2019 WC will be a 10 team event. The top 8 sides in the ODI rankings will qualify by right. This excludes in principle all the associates/affiliates apart from Ireland and Afghanistan, because they are not allowed on the ODI rankings. In practice it excludes all the associates as well as Bangladesh and Zimbabwe, because it is inconceivable that either of those 4 sides will get enough fixtures against higher ranked teams to be able to climb up the rankings (and indeed would you if you were the West Indies want to risk playing a less ranked team as things stand?). Moreover the qualifying event itself will take place in Bangladesh, giving them a massive advantage over the associates they have to beat to win the qualifier.

The 2019 WC will have 10 teams, each playing everyone else in a round-robin format before semi-finals. This will inevitably lead to a string of meaningless matches as sides with little-to-no chance of qualifying play each other towards the back-end of the group stages.

The reason given for the ICC's decision in public is that they wish all games at the WC to be competitive. "Competitive" is of course a subjective notion, but I think you'd be hard pressed to argue against the statement that the most competitive matches at the WC so far have been:
- Ire vs UAE
- UAE vs Zim
- Afg vs SL
- Ire vs WI
- Zim vs SA
(roughly in that order)

Amongst the least competitive matches have been:
- Ind vs Pak
- Aus vs Eng
- Eng vs NZ
- Ind vs SA
- NZ vs SL

Put simply the ICC's argument no longer stands up. Of course we all know it was a fallacious statement, and that it's really all about $$ but does anybody really think you couldn't promote the recently finished match as a great advert for cricket? Are we really meant to believe that no cricket fans anywhere are interested in watching such matches?

The original decision to restrict participation to the 2015 WC to just the full members (just let that sink in: the ICC were proposing inviting 10 teams and only 10 teams to a WORLD cup, based not even on something like rankings, but rather historical significance, which is all status really means) was reversed due to primarily the threat of legal action, but also in no small measure the international pressure put on the ICC by the worldwide cricket community after Ireland and the other associates performed so well.

We must do the same to stop the travesty pending for 2019. Already people like Mike Atherton, Sachin Tendulkar, Mahela Jayawardene, and now Jonathan Agnew, Michael Vaughan, Dean Jones.

To do your bit, you can sign the petition, and please promote it amongst friends etc.
https://www.change.org/p/international-cricket-council-reverse-the-decision-to-reduce-the-2019-world-cup-to-ten-teams

Thanks.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Re: Petition to reverse the ICC's decision to reduce the 2019 WC to 10 teams.

Post by GSC on Wed 25 Feb 2015, 2:13 pm

I do think underdogs are an essential part of these tournaments. Really add something.

Plus at this England will be excluded
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat on Wed 25 Feb 2015, 2:23 pm

Mike - that's a very fine post in support of a totally just cause. Indeed, it's impossible to see how anyone with cricket's interests at heart could think differently.

I'll happily sign. I'll also try and raise the subject with Richard Thompson (Chairman) and Richard Gould (CEO) at Surrey. That probably makes it sound as if I have far more influence than is actually the case. However, they've both made it clear they're happy to be approached by members on Surrey and other cricket matters and are much more easily contactable than many might think.

There is also a direct Surrey commercial interest here. The Guildford ground is due to be substantially developed in the next couple of years, with a large part of the cost being met by Surrey. Part of the reasoning for this is that more of Surrey's home games in 2019 will be played at Guildford whilst the Oval hosts many of the WC matches. Neither Thompson or Gould will be happy if the Oval matches turn out to be meaningless encounters played out in front of patchy crowds. Whilst they are both money men (Gould in particular), they also still care about cricket itself. Thompson is on one of the ECB Panels and definitely has a genuine understanding of the game and its roots; he could be a good ally (if not already on board).

Btw, I had been considering my own petition to ''Get Mike Selig posting more on the WC thread''. I accept reversing the ICC's decision is an even worthier cause but trust you'll understand where I was coming from! Wink

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by atletico86 on Wed 25 Feb 2015, 10:14 pm

Signed it few days ago Mike.

A disgusting decision from the ICC; I'm glad the players are speaking out about it too, and highlighting how Associates are treated as 2nd class citizens. Ed Joyce has been very good on twitter, sticking to the ICC whenever he can

atletico86

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR on Thu 26 Feb 2015, 9:57 am

Signed. Am not sure that 14 is the right number, but 10 with an unfair qualifying competition certainly isn't right.

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig on Thu 26 Feb 2015, 9:09 pm

Signed. Stifling associate nations appearances at World Cups stifles their growth and does nothing to spread cricket to more countries around the world.
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat on Thu 23 Apr 2015, 11:35 pm

guildfordbat wrote:Mike - that's a very fine post in support of a totally just cause. Indeed, it's impossible to see how anyone with cricket's interests at heart could think differently.

I'll happily sign. I'll also try and raise the subject with Richard Thompson (Chairman) and Richard Gould (CEO) at Surrey. That probably makes it sound as if I have far more influence than is actually the case. However, they've both made it clear they're happy to be approached by members on Surrey and other cricket matters and are much more easily contactable than many might think.

There is also a direct Surrey commercial interest here. The Guildford ground is due to be substantially developed in the next couple of years, with a large part of the cost being met by Surrey. Part of the reasoning for this is that more of Surrey's home games in 2019 will be played at Guildford whilst the Oval hosts many of the WC matches. Neither Thompson or Gould will be happy if the Oval matches turn out to be meaningless encounters played out in front of patchy crowds. Whilst they are both money men (Gould in particular), they also still care about cricket itself. Thompson is on one of the ECB Panels and definitely has a genuine understanding of the game and its roots; he could be a good ally (if not already on board).

Mike - just to mention that I spoke briefly to Richard Thompson about this after Surrey's AGM tonight. He regrettably emphasised the control India have over the world game but didn't feel that they had yet managed to completely bolt the door on this subject. He particularly made the point that several counties who don't (normally) host England ODIs were keen to host WC matches and that they therefore wish to see an increase, rather than a reduction, in the number of associates participating in 2019.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum