The Intercontinental Title Feud - I Shouldn't Love it but I do

Go down

The Intercontinental Title Feud - I Shouldn't Love it but I do

Post by Dolphin Ziggler on Wed 04 Mar 2015, 2:22 am

As we see the road to WrestleMania rattling on, I have found myself losing and gaining interest in feuds and aspects of the card. The title match could be brilliant, but I am almost bored of the internet/modern fan and the reaction that will happen regardless of performance and result.

Wyatt/Taker is interesting too, but Wyatt's weakness for me has long been unanswered promos that say a lot without adding anything. His promos have been more directed, but currently he is facing a shadow, calling out a man who will not answer him. Momentum is a funny thing, and Wyatt's is a continuous variable. Every time he seems to get somewhere there's a little bump in the road. Having no one to interact with, just appearing to make a dark point, just seems to remind me of why his promos are sometimes his own worst enemy. Did anyone care what Bray had to say on Monday? Did any of it really matter? Nothing has changed for the past two weeks, and the lack of interaction does not strengthen Bray; it seems to gear up the Undertaker very well but he won't be around afterwards.

Sting and HHH is another that can be fascinating, but HHH seems to be delivering the same promo every week. He does not like Sting, he is not very nice and he will beat him. Grr! mad The mind games have slowed down, Sting does not appear to pose much threat. The appearance to accept the Fast Lane confrontation has been far too rare an occurrence. The initial pacing was fine, maybe even perfect. There was tease, suspense and curiosity. But the battle approaches, and nothing has changed. Sting is off shining his baseball bat (not a euphemism) and HHH gets to shout around, embarrassing Booker T at will. I had always assumed Sting would win, but now Hunter has had a dig at Booker (he can dig it, sucka) I am inclined to believe the villain shall not be vanquished, because HHH will not let the Booker T story be a happy one.

Those criticisms aside, these stories still interest me, they just haven't been smart enough to have me chomping at the bit. There are three Raws left, and we all know that WWE likes to ramp the pace up towards the end, so I can only hope next week things become all the more clearer.

And, as a generally happy wrestling fan I am quite excited by Mania this year. The feuds seem fresh, the stories seem worth telling and the actual matches promise to be decent. The smarter decisions have been made from that angle; HHH/Sting to me will be a better watch than Taker v Sting even if the latter feud is what the wrestling world in general has called for.

Cena and Rusev left more in their story to be told, Goldust and Stardust is a fascinating character portrayal (but could have done with being shown on Raw), Orton v Rollins is an inevitable slow burner and even Miz/Mizdow, whilst unlikely to be a singles match, is getting towards where it needs to be.

But down to the characters on show, the only thing more interesting than AxelMania right now is the feud over the Intercontinental Title.

Barrett is being presented as a lame duck, but I think it may be the only way a multi-man match works. And whilst he could be more dominant, there is an easy story arch over a champion who holds his belt undeservedly as challengers appear to best him and claim they should be champion.

And it has opened the door for other people to take a shot at Barrett too. Harper, Bryan etc have seemingly thrown their hats into the ring.

The key to why this rushed feud has become my favourite is that the people involved are playing their roles so well.

Suddenly, R Truth is back and being funny. Lines like (on his fear of heights) - "Why can't they use small ladders like they used for Hornswaggle and Dean Malenko?" and spending most of his Smackdown commentary time believing Bryon Saxton was Coach and telling him he loved his work on Sports Center have genuinely made me laugh.

The match on Raw, with Bryan defeating Harper, was not only a good match but the whole situation worked. The crowd wanted Ziggler as Harper crept away. BAM Ziggler comes out to a huge pop and hits a superkick. He stares down at Bryan, and after all their posturing for a match on Twitter, gestured for Bryan to bring it. Bryan started a Yes! chant and also looked at the WrestleMania sign. Easy stuff.

The stealing of the belt has worked too. Firstly, it shows that Ambrose doesnt give a f*** about other people and is a bit of a renegade. From there it has evolved to make the belt the most important thing in the feud. Whilst it can seem a bit lame, all this stealing malarkey, it shouldnt be ignored that these competitors want the belt. The title is the most important thing in the IC Title feud. Simple, logical, but surprising considering WWE's aversion to titles being important.

It very much seems that they are also letting everyone be the character they are known to be. Harper is scary and rough. Bryan is over as hell and gets to wrestle proper matches. Ziggler is over as hell and gets to be a bit cocky. Ambrose is over as hell and gets to be intense and out there, yet not comedic. R Truth brings a twist on it all and has helped the feud progress by linking things together and actually being worth listening to.

There's even intrigue over whether Bryan will be derailed beforehand by someone like Sheamus.

Beyond that, its going to be one hell of a match. I want to see moments where Harper and Barrett go at it, Ziggler and Bryan, Ziggler and Ambrose, Ambrose and Bryan. Every one of the men involved will deliver.

Its not the match some hoped for for guys like Ziggler or Bryan, but they have been given an opportunity to steal the show. And in a match where you can legitimately care who wins. So congratulations, WWE, right now I am hooked into a feud for a secondary title. Learn from this.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Re: The Intercontinental Title Feud - I Shouldn't Love it but I do

Post by Samo on Wed 04 Mar 2015, 7:50 am

I completely agree. The IC title is being booked the best its been in over two years - atleast. Something as simple as Ambrose wanting his face on the wall in HQ has led to the IC title being the focal point of a story, much like the US title is now aswell.

The only negative I can think of is I wish they would just announce whos in the match already. So far we only have two official entrants in Truth and BNB. I think if they were all announced ahead of time it would add another level of competition between the guys in the lead up.

I think all the guys will bring their A game to steal the show, much like MitB matches of Yesteryear. Its just a shame this couldnt happen while the WWE title was part time.

SmackDown Spoiler:
Daniel Bryan ended the night with the IC title belt, until Stardust attacked him from behind. I would rather see him vs Goldust again than in the ladder match but you cant win em all.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC on Wed 04 Mar 2015, 9:54 am

The best part was Luke Harper taking the title and walking away with it. Barret shouting OI COME BACK HERE YOU PRAT!

Hope Barrett retains in all honesty. I'll accept an Ambrose win.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus on Wed 04 Mar 2015, 11:56 am

"
Dolphin Ziggler wrote:Goldust and Stardust is a fascinating character portrayal (but could have done with being shown on Raw)"

I can't believe they will put this on the WM card. I'm just catching up with the full card from Fastlane and their match really sucked the life out of the show. The crowd were so not into it, the ending was a botch, the concept that a man who dresses up and wears face paint doesn't want his brother to dress up and wear face paint is unbelievable, and I also don't see what the pay off will be from this.
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy on Wed 04 Mar 2015, 12:09 pm

The way smackdown was booked the following will be the contestants in the ladder match for the IC title..

Spoiler:
BNB, Ambrose, Truth, Harper, Ziggler, Bryan, Goldust, Stardust

The problem with this is you have one feud within a match which hasn't even run it's course as a single's feud...and given there would be no chance of him
Spoiler:
Stardust
winning the title, I don't see what the payoff is? The other problem you have is that everything that goes on in the match is likely to be overshadowed by Ziggler/Bryan interaction...which given what's at stake surely goes against the concept of what the title means. Either Ziggler or Bryan walk out as champ...if Bryan doesn't where does he go?..but Ziggler is hot as hell at moment so surely has too...yet Ambrose has been chasing title longest so where's his payoff?..

Anyhow...enough negativity from me...as a match I'm sure it will be absolutely phenomenal...but as a feud builder/ender it won't be.

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero on Wed 04 Mar 2015, 12:22 pm

Spoiler:
Ziggler and Bryan
will both go off to feud on the PPVs afterwards, they're being built for this match to be the start of a rivalry so expect them to cost each other the chance to win it.
Same goes for the
Spoiler:
Dust brothers
, the feud isn't over, shame its not being resolved at Mania but with so many matches on the card then would a short match be the best option rather than letting them have some time at Extreme Rules etc?
Ambrose to win.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo on Wed 04 Mar 2015, 12:35 pm

Prometheus wrote:"

I can't believe they will put this on the WM card. I'm just catching up with the full card from Fastlane and their match really sucked the life out of the show.  The crowd were so not into it, the ending was a botch, the concept that a man who dresses up and wears face paint doesn't want his brother to dress up and wear face paint is unbelievable, and I also don't see what the pay off will be from this.  

I think thats more down the the crowd than the actual match. I like that it was a slow burner, it feels like its building up to something, although I think the end was botched.

I like the feud. I like the thought of Goldust seeing what Cody can be compared to what he will be if he keeps going down the Stardust route, much like the career he had as Goldust. A sort of 'dont make the same mistakes I did, you can be so much more than a comedy character' thing, although they wont talk about it like that on air.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D on Wed 04 Mar 2015, 1:08 pm

owen10ozzy wrote:The way smackdown was booked the following will be the contestants in the ladder match for the IC title..

Spoiler:
BNB, Ambrose, Truth, Harper, Ziggler, Bryan, Goldust, Stardust

The problem with this is you have one feud within a match which hasn't even run it's course as a single's feud...and given there would be no chance of him
Spoiler:
Stardust
winning the title, I don't see what the payoff is? The other problem you have is that everything that goes on in the match is likely to be overshadowed by Ziggler/Bryan interaction...which given what's at stake surely goes against the concept of what the title means. Either Ziggler or Bryan walk out as champ...if Bryan doesn't where does he go?..but Ziggler is hot as hell at moment so surely has too...yet Ambrose has been chasing title longest so where's his payoff?..

Anyhow...enough negativity from me...as a match I'm sure it will be absolutely phenomenal...but as a feud builder/ender it won't be.
Pretty much word for word ony thoughts on last nights podcast! Amen brother!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus on Wed 04 Mar 2015, 1:16 pm

Samo wrote:

I can't believe they will put this on the WM card. I'm just catching up with the full card from Fastlane and their match really sucked the life out of the show.  The crowd were so not into it, the ending was a botch, the concept that a man who dresses up and wears face paint doesn't want his brother to dress up and wear face paint is unbelievable, and I also don't see what the pay off will be from this.  

I think thats more down the the crowd than the actual match.  I like that it was a slow burner, it feels like its building up to something, although I think the end was botched.

I like the feud.  I like the thought of Goldust seeing what Cody can be compared to what he will be if he keeps going down the Stardust route, much like the career he had as Goldust.  A sort of 'dont make the same mistakes I did, you can be so much more than a comedy character' thing, although they wont talk about it like that on air.

Yes Samo, I think that is a good explanation of what they are trying to do, but I don't think it is working on any level.

If you have followed WWE for a long time then you'll know that the Golddust character is what has continually got Dustin over.  

If you have just been watching for a year or so, but have followed it, then you will remember that Cody as himself didn't think himself good enough as Golddust's partner, so he came back as Stardust and that is when they won the tag team gold.

And if you are just the casual viewer then why care, he's just a guy dressed up in the pantomime that is WWE.

And the action in the ring wasn't so much a slow-burner as a put-to-sleeper.  And maybe I'm just projecting my own views onto this, which are that Cody is very much a mid-carder with a look and a style that a number of other WWE Superstars have.  At least as Stardust he has something which is memorable.  Yes, it will keep him in the mid-card, but I think he'll be even lower than that if he goes back to being Cody.

EDIT: I've read the spoilers above now.
Spoiler:
Which kind of backs up what I was saying, no way does this feud carry itself as a singles event at WM
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler on Wed 04 Mar 2015, 3:51 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:Goldust and Stardust is a fascinating character portrayal (but could have done with being shown on Raw)"

If the Smackdown spoilers are true its a shame, but I absolutely loved that match. Storytelling was brilliant. And that isnt the point, Prom, its that hes regressing into a violent and unpredictable character and losing himself.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler on Wed 04 Mar 2015, 3:54 pm

I agree entirely with Hero. Actually think its clever booking for Bryan and Ziggler. Rather than throwing them in a match "because"

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus on Wed 04 Mar 2015, 4:49 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:

If the Smackdown spoilers are true its a shame, but I absolutely loved that match. Storytelling was brilliant. And that isnt the point, Prom, its that hes regressing into a violent and unpredictable character and losing himself.

So, Stardust is the heel. Maybe that's one of the problems. That this is the most over Cody has been for years and the crowd would like to cheer him.

And I'll agree, the story that he's now gone too far in this character is a good one. But they've also got to hold the end of the story up in the ring and that Fastlane bout wasn't PPV standard.
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler on Wed 04 Mar 2015, 4:58 pm

It depends what you're after, I'd like to see a few more matches remember the story like they did. Its what puts me off NXT sometimes

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero on Wed 04 Mar 2015, 4:59 pm

I thought the match at Fast Lane was fine, the ending was ambiguous certainly and I wonder if there's still more to that, if Dusty had asked the ref to fast count so that his two sons didn't hurt each perhaps.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum