The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Potentially Bad For Boxing?

+11
horizontalhero
ONETWOFOREVER
Derbymanc
Coxy001
hampo17
Soldier_Of_Fortune
Strongback
hazharrison
Steffan
Hammersmith harrier
3fingers
15 posters

Go down

Potentially Bad For Boxing? Empty Potentially Bad For Boxing?

Post by 3fingers Thu 26 Mar 2015, 6:36 pm

I just want to throw this out there...

Mayweather vs Manny is bad for boxing.

The highest grossing fight in history could be a dud. The fight is years too late. There will be loads of casuals consumed by the hype who will buy the fight, who, ultimately. maybe underwhelmed by the fight. Mayweather might make this a stinker. A huge casual audience, sucked in by the hype, may think once bitten twice shy. Short term the promoters, TV networks and fighters benefit, but long term it could be drastic.

To secure boxing's future they need fights like prov v mathyesse on the undercard.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Potentially Bad For Boxing? Empty Re: Potentially Bad For Boxing?

Post by Hammersmith harrier Thu 26 Mar 2015, 6:42 pm

Won't make an ounce of difference, a fair few of the highest watched fights of the past 25 years have been duds;

Trinidad vs De La Hoya
Mayweather vs De La Hoya and Alvarez
Lewis vs Tyson and Holyfield
Holyfield vs Foreman and Holmes
etc. etc.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu 26 Mar 2015, 6:43 pm

The fight will indeed be stinker with the Pooch getting slapped around by Floyd for 12 rounds

Agree that it doesn't help that the fight didn't happen 5-6 years ago when Panny and Floyd were in their prime

Personally I think the whole Poochio v Kentucky Fried Mayweather thing has been bad for boxing already what with the 6 year delay in a fight, roid accusations and to be honest the crap fight will just be the nail in the coffin of this whole slur on the name of boxing

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 26 Mar 2015, 6:46 pm

Haye/Klitschko was bad for boxing and people still cough up, Haye/Harrison was bad for boxing and people still cough up. Cleverley/Bellew II was bad for boxing, Mayweather/Mosley/Ortiz/Guerrero etc were bad for boxing.........people still cough up.

Because there'll always be a Groves/Froch to make them think that next time might just be the one that makes the previous stinker worthwhile.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Thu 26 Mar 2015, 7:25 pm

Aye, I guess it's all about potentials dave. People live in hope. I for one hope it's a cracker.  Based on the distant past all logic says Meatherweather wins, however, judging by maidana fights his legs seem to have gone. It's all well and good mayweather saying it's a purposeful ploy to create an entertaining fight but how much of that is true? Personally, I feel as though that tactic was necessity. 

Maidana was on busy on the front foot and made it difficult for mayweather; manny is just as busy, faster and more accurate,  albeit without the natural size endorsed thudding power, that, for me at least, makes it Interesting.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 26 Mar 2015, 7:37 pm

With no desire to face Khan (who would be a hard night but not an impossible obstacle for him to overcome) and with the likes of Thurman and Brook not generating enough money for him to buy gold plated stair rods or whatever the f*ck he spends his money on, it appears Mayweather is out of viable options or most accurately options that the paying public will readily swallow.

Yes it's a gamble for him but because of that I think Mayweather will be even more cautious than normal.

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 26 Mar 2015, 8:50 pm

Graham Houston - almost imperious at picking winners - has plumped for Pacquiao. A Pacquiao victory would be immense for the sport.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Thu 26 Mar 2015, 9:01 pm

hazharrison wrote:Graham Houston - almost imperious at picking winners - has plumped for Pacquiao. A Pacquiao victory would be immense for the sport.

What does "almost imperious at picking winners" actually mean?

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 26 Mar 2015, 9:10 pm

Strongback wrote:
hazharrison wrote:Graham Houston - almost imperious at picking winners - has plumped for Pacquiao. A Pacquiao victory would be immense for the sport.

He invariably picks the winner in the majority of boxing matches. What is this, grammar school?

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Thu 26 Mar 2015, 9:53 pm

hazharrison wrote:
Strongback wrote:

He invariably picks the winner in the majority of boxing matches. What is this, grammar school?

No offense meant but I was thinking waffle school. What I was getting at was how "almost imperious" relates to hard data. I take imperious as meaning commanding.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Fri 27 Mar 2015, 7:28 am

I am swaying towards a Manny victory picard

And I don't know why.....

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 27 Mar 2015, 12:10 pm

Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:I am swaying towards a Manny victory picard

And I don't know why.....
Is it because, like many, you'd dearly love to see that oafish twunt Mayweather get the kicking he so richly f*cking deserves?

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Fri 27 Mar 2015, 12:14 pm

If Manny wins, D4 wins. I just can't stomach that Smile

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 27 Mar 2015, 1:15 pm

hampo171 wrote:If Manny wins, D4 wins. I just can't stomach that Smile
Bear in mind that if Manny wins, D4 sp*nks himself to death so we all win

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Fri 27 Mar 2015, 1:50 pm

hampo171 wrote:If Manny wins, D4 wins. I just can't stomach that Smile

If Manny wins he'll most likely retire, which would then mean D4 will either a) stop following boxing.. or more likely b) kill himself due to his "life" being empty

Win win all round for boxing fans.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Fri 27 Mar 2015, 2:05 pm

D4 would do neither, instead starting posting constant articles about a Manny being better than anyone to ever lace the gloves up, sadly the world will never be rid of D4.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 27 Mar 2015, 2:16 pm

hampo171 wrote:D4 would do neither, instead starting posting constant articles about a Manny being better than anyone to ever lace the gloves up, sadly the world will never be rid of D4.
Shame none of us knows a bloke with a van with blacked out windows who enjoys abduction, torture and mutilation and more importantly, happy to do it for free.

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Fri 27 Mar 2015, 2:19 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
hampo171 wrote:D4 would do neither, instead starting posting constant articles about a Manny being better than anyone to ever lace the gloves up, sadly the world will never be rid of D4.
Shame none of us knows a bloke with a van with blacked out windows who enjoys abduction, torture and mutilation and more importantly, happy to do it for free.

Would you pay to watch though?!

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Fri 27 Mar 2015, 2:20 pm

He does that now

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Fri 27 Mar 2015, 2:20 pm

Mayweather does not do DUDS he does CLINICS.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 27 Mar 2015, 2:36 pm

Coxy001 wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:

Would you pay to watch though?!
I'm from Yorkshire, I'd pay for nowt if I had the chance

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Fri 27 Mar 2015, 3:09 pm

Mike Tyson has picked Manny to win- his arguement being that unless Floyd seriously increases his punch output he simply won't land enough counters to off set the hundreds of shots that manny will be throwing at. He also pointed out that the only fighters that have bothered Manny also have high punch output, which floyd doesn't.
I think that this may be wishful thinking, bit would love for him to be right.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 27 Mar 2015, 3:17 pm

JMM has high punch output??

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Fri 27 Mar 2015, 3:30 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:JMM has high punch output??

Yeah I always thought he was around the 500 mark or so. Not exactly Margarito-esque at the 800+ range.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 27 Mar 2015, 3:36 pm

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/view.php?pg=floyd-mayweather-juan-manuel-marquez-compubox

583 versus Floyd's 493 in their 12 rounder. So not that high or that marked a difference IMO.

Though the full report does make for dismal reading and confirms what a pitiful fight that really was.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 27 Mar 2015, 3:40 pm

JMM actually threw less in both Pac 1 and Pac 2 fights. Though his success rate was unsurprisingly higher.

He's a 500 a fight thrower. Floyd threw the same (505) in his masterclass decimation over Canelo.

Ergo Tyson is wrong, as we all know Floyd is just a much better version of the 1 boxer that's given Pac fits throughout his career.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 27 Mar 2015, 3:42 pm

By startling comparison, check out Pac-Marg:

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/view.php?pg=pacquiao-margarito-compubox

Shocked

Almost 2 thousand punches thrown between them!!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Fri 27 Mar 2015, 3:54 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:By startling comparison, check out Pac-Marg:

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/view.php?pg=pacquiao-margarito-compubox

Shocked

Almost 2 thousand punches thrown between them!!

Mindboggling.

Don't think we're going to quite witness what was a human punch bag session for 12 rounds when he fights FMJ though.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sat 28 Mar 2015, 1:12 am

It is a cynically made, over expensive fight so if it stinks yeah, the knives will be out and it will be a black eye for boxing.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Sat 28 Mar 2015, 7:01 am

Strongback wrote:
hazharrison wrote:
Strongback wrote:

No offense meant but I was thinking waffle school.  What I was getting at was how "almost imperious" relates to hard data.  I take imperious as meaning commanding.

Houston is astonishing in his accuracy. He used to run a betting tip site. I keep a close eye on this type of thing and he, along with Joseph Santiliquito are something else.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by sittingringside Sat 28 Mar 2015, 5:19 pm

For the fight to be good for boxing iy needs to deliver. You are all right in saying that some of the most watched fights in recent times have been disappointing in the entertainment stakes. However, this isn't about whether the fight will be widely viewed or publicly visible, that's a given, it's about how this huge event resonates with the public conscience in its aftermath. We might assume a rough audience segmentation of:

a) hardcore fans of the sport, which would include many of the members of this forum

b) occasional fight fans, likely to be interested in sport more generally

and c) First time watchers or relatively new fans, likely to interested in sport more generally and drawn to the event more by curiosity around its well publicised historical significance as a the fight between arguably the two best athletes of their generation in their chosen sport. They might also just be fascinated by all those $$$$$.

Should the fight be rubbish, we can reasonably assume that the majority group a) will, after a solid period of whining, return to watching the sport they love. However, should groups b) and c) be treated to a disappointing contest, they are likely to question whether the sport is worth watching, and spend their capital on, than others that are currently more widely followed and easily accessible. "Is this the best boxing has to offer?" You might imagine them asking. If this fight sucks, after all the hoopla and publicity,this could turn off thousands of potential fans from getting more into the sport.

Ironically, I think this apparent medium term negative could yield a long term positive. If the fight is publicly considered a failure and it hans a tangible effect on the popularity of the sport as a whole, then it could bring about a decisive shift in the debate over whether it is really the most sustainable strategy to focus on one off premium events with high consumer end costs, and then just hoping to God they're good entertainment on the night. Promoters will make a killing on this fight, that's not in doubt, but with all of the publicity this fight has the potential to influence trends within the sport and business of boxing, either for better or worse.

sittingringside

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 28 Mar 2015, 5:25 pm

It could be good for boxing, but I don't think it will be bad. Simply put, barring a shocker of a fight, and and an even bigger shocker of a decision, most people who were boxing fans before the Never Ending will stay boxing fans. If it's a good fight, there may be new found fans. If it's a bad Fight, maybe the casuals don't come back, but there is no net loss.

So in essence, at worst, there is no displacement, at best there is positive displacement
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 28 Mar 2015, 5:25 pm

Now whether charging $100 for a PPV and taking five years to make a fight is good for boxing is a separate matter
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sat 28 Mar 2015, 5:26 pm

I think that unless the fight is a thriller it will never get away from the stink of it being way past its sell by date happening. Righfully so.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down