The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Muhammad Aamer

+4
Good Golly I'm Olly
ShahenshahG
VTR
kingraf
8 posters

Go down

Muhammad Aamer  Empty Muhammad Aamer

Post by kingraf Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:37 am

A little surprised that this hasn't been brought up before, but most of you would know that Muhammad Aamer's ban from FC and international cricket is up this year.

Just curious to see what the general mood is in him being allowed back. He's only 23, so he'll almost certainly still have a full career (ability permitting), and there is a school of though which supposes that the ban happening when it did was in a way the best thing to happen to him - After all he'd been the victim of a few stress fractures before the ban, and maybe wasn't quite bright enough to deal with the outside forces which frequent international cricket.

Personally, I'm quite excited to see the return of Aamer, long as he makes the grade
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Muhammad Aamer  Empty Re: Muhammad Aamer

Post by VTR Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:00 am

I am fairly sympathetic to his case. He was but a kid when all this happened, and coming from rural Pakistan is pretty much a third world upbringing: we can't judge him against what a 17 year old with a western upbringing would be expected to know

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:15 am

Yes, very true. Can't imagine what it'd be like for a 17-year old with no real world experience to be offered a year's wages to bowl a few balls which have no impact on the match. For it to come from your captain...
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:38 am

kingraf wrote:Yes, very true. Can't imagine what it'd be like for a 17-year old with no real world experience to be offered a year's wages to bowl a few balls which have no impact on the match. For it to come from your captain...

Herschelle Gibbs Laugh He should have been given a beating but yes I would quite like to see him back. Pace, Swing and an ability to take important wickets - would love to see a magnificent pakistani pace attack once again.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:12 am

He's done his time, and hopefully he comes back at a level near where he was last time. He was probably the most innocent of them all, and yes while people will say at 17 he should know right from wrong, what 17 year old would turn down that sort of money in what was a fairly low key way.

I also think people forget just how good he was at 17 too. The potential he had was incredible. Youngest bowler ever to 50 test wickets is some feat for a sub continental seamer
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:40 am

He was the best 17 year old bowler I have ever seen that's for sure. Anyone have any idea what he has been up to for the last 5 years i.e. what chance is there of him coming back even close to his previous standard? He could have given up cricket for all I know

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:46 am

He's certainly gonna try make a come back, VTR. Went to jail for a stint, had the whole trial thing. But kept in shape, and played his first official match two or three weeks ago. Apparently he was edging on 140 kph.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:23 am

Cheers for the info, will be interesting to see how he goes. Didn't realise he had been to prison

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:44 am

I'm fairly ambivalent on the issue TBH.

I don't buy the whole sob story of him being only 17 (this is the same 17 as Shahid Afridi was for about 3 years TBH) and being led astray fully. What he did was wrong and I certainly know of a number of 17 year-olds who I honestly hope would have turned it down (although I do understand the argument about education etc.). I understand the argument, but I don't buy into it totally.

On the other hand I'm not a big one for life-time bans, and in actual fact 6 years compared to what you get for other misdemeanours (e.g. PED use) seems if anything on the harsh side of things. I'm a bit believer in rehabilitation and if he's done his time, hopefully recognised his wrongs then I have no issue whatsoever with him returning.

But then I'd have been happy to see Ched Evans return to professional football (although I accept that is a completely separate issue) so maybe I'd just one of those bleeding heart liberals...

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:11 am

I think in the Evans case some of those bleeding heart liberals were on the other side of the fence and acting in the most vindictive manner. Anyway, a completely separate issue as Mike says.

As for Muhammad Aamer, he was young (that doesn't excuse him but it's a factor to be taken into account) and has done his time. If he's good enough to return, I've no particular problem. He can't though complain if he's carefully watched and should certainly expect and get the proverbial ton of bricks down on him if he transgresses again.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:51 pm

Well definitely if he does it again I will have zero sympathy and would be calling for a suitable punishment such as a lifetime in prison or ten games for the England ODI team

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:19 pm

Well, interesting dichotomy, the punishment for fixing, and the punishment for Doping. Personally, I do hold fixing as a worse crime. Little old school, but I do think one of the pillars of sport is to do your absolute best at all times. Bad as doping is, you could argue that it's a misguided attempt at that. Fixing is, for me, inherently evil (slight exaggeration, but the best way of describing my feelings towards it). You're intentionally duping a paying public, cheating your teammates, and in absolutely no way any different from industrial espionage. Which is what it really is.

Spot fixing, though isn't little different, it's bad, certainly. But is it a five year ban + prison sentence bad? I have no idea. I can't stand cheating, but I can't help feeling like this was a bit of a hatchet job.

As most of you would doubtlessly realise, I'm not the most fair of "pundits". I certainly accept that I hold certain players to higher than others. There's no doubt I'm probably more forgiving of Aamer's, shall we say lapse in judgement than I would be had it been anyone else.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:49 pm

Aamer could have had over 250 test wickets by now, if he hadn't cheated. A wonderful bowler, who will hopefully get back to his previous best.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:16 am

Stella wrote:Aamer could have had over 250 test wickets by now, if he hadn't cheated. A wonderful bowler, who will hopefully get back to his previous best.

Let's say he does get back to his best and makes it back into the Pakistani side - how many wickets does he get?

This lay off will prolong his career you'd think
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:56 am

Like I said in the OP, with his previous history of stress fractures, and the volatile nature of Pakistani cricket. There's every chance he would have been effectively finished by now.

Also helps that Pakistan are, for once, in a bit of a low when it comes to quick bowlers. Generally have one or two really really good bowlers in the ranks, but currently they have Junaid Khan, and at a push, Wahab Riaz. A far cry from the embarrasment of riches when Aamer made his boo boo
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:06 am

Olly wrote:
Stella wrote:Aamer could have had over 250 test wickets by now, if he hadn't cheated. A wonderful bowler, who will hopefully get back to his previous best.

Let's say he does get back to his best and makes it back into the Pakistani side - how many wickets does he get?

This lay off will prolong his career you'd think

A couple of big if's. His action from memory was quite slingy, which can aggravate the back.

If fit, he still has a chance to get to 300 test wickets, and beyond.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:15 am

Indeed, if he makes a relatively swift come back, you'd think he has maybe ten years left. That's 65-80 tests. So maybe 300-350 seems fair.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:06 pm

I am glad to see him back. He had the potential to be a great bowler, and anyone who understands even a smidge of the domineering patriarchal society within Pakistan (and the cricket team) knows that Butt should have been banned for life, and Aamer treated more leniently.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down