The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ward says he will fight Froch in London

+12
KO-KING
jimdig
AlexHuckerby
Nico the gman
kingraf
mobilemaster8
DuransHorse
TRUSSMAN66
ONETWOFOREVER
catchweight
Gerry SA
Happytravelling
16 posters

Go down

Ward says he will fight Froch in London Empty Ward says he will fight Froch in London

Post by Happytravelling Fri 03 Apr 2015, 4:30 pm

Haven't seen any mention of this so I thought I'd post.

Apparently, Ward is saying he'd come to London. He really must be struggling to get fights if he is willing to cross the pond, now.

Does anybody believe him or that Froch will take the fight? Personally, if I was Froch, I'd take it. Big money, chance of redemption. Ward has been out the ring for two years and home advantage might pay. Even if he loses he can then go for a Vegas fight, later. Or if he wins, Vegas for the decider.

http://www.boxing247.com/boxing-news/why-andre-ward-should-rematch-carl-froch-in-nottingham-video/39595#more-39595

Happytravelling

Back to top Go down

Ward says he will fight Froch in London Empty Re: Ward says he will fight Froch in London

Post by Gerry SA Fri 03 Apr 2015, 5:14 pm

If Froch loses(which he would 99/100 against Ward) how the hell could be still get a Vegas fight?

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Ward says he will fight Froch in London Empty Re: Ward says he will fight Froch in London

Post by Happytravelling Fri 03 Apr 2015, 6:00 pm

Mainly because he lost convincingly the first time and still got one. This time, it would be harder, without a belt but he's still, arguably, more marketable in the US than Ward.

Which is why I think he should take the fight. Most States side won't expect him to win. So, losing doesn't ruin his capital much.

As we haven't seen Ward fight in 2 yrs, its hard to say how he will do. Unless his skills have deteriorated badly, I doubt he'll lose. But, who knows?

Happytravelling

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Fri 03 Apr 2015, 6:06 pm

Froch wont take it and Ward wont travel. Perfect ingredients for a fight not to happen.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Fri 03 Apr 2015, 6:21 pm

People need to understand geography. Ward gets slated as a stay home fighter lol he is from the west coast and has fought in Vegas and New York. The distance he travels is vast enough for him to pack his bags and jump on a plane.

I think after Froch v Groves 2 he has looked at a venue like Wembly as an option but Nottingham is out of the question.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 03 Apr 2015, 6:22 pm

You'd have to be an idiot to pay good money for a stinker like Ward v Froch

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Happytravelling Fri 03 Apr 2015, 6:31 pm

catchweight wrote:Froch wont take it and Ward wont travel. Perfect ingredients for a fight not to happen.

Pretty much my view. I think there may be some hot air around it but I don't think Ward or Froch are keen. But, if I was Froch, I don't think its such a bad option. It will just postpone his retirement a bit. But, I don't think he wants to do that.

Happytravelling

Back to top Go down

Post by Happytravelling Fri 03 Apr 2015, 6:35 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:People need to understand geography. Ward gets slated as a stay home fighter lol he is from the west coast and has fought in Vegas and New York. The distance he travels is vast enough for him to pack his bags and jump on a plane.

I think after Froch v Groves 2 he has looked at a venue like Wembly as an option but Nottingham is out of the question.

You have a slight point with the first statement. He hasn't "stayed at home" but has he really gone to his opponent's backyard or simply flown to neutral territory. Which is the point.

If I was a boxer, the thought of a 80,000 sell out has to be attractive, financially and egotistically. What is the largest fight attendance, aside from that, in recent years?

Personally, I don't think Ward is that keen, its hot air. And even if he was serious, I think Froch really has got it in his mind to retire so will make excuses. In the end, it probably won't happen and we'll never know who made the excuses as the usual PR subdiffuge will ensue.

Happytravelling

Back to top Go down

Post by DuransHorse Fri 03 Apr 2015, 8:09 pm

Happytravelling wrote:
ONETWOFOREVER wrote:People need to understand geography. Ward gets slated as a stay home fighter lol he is from the west coast and has fought in Vegas and New York. The distance he travels is vast enough for him to pack his bags and jump on a plane.

You have a slight point with the first statement. He hasn't "stayed at home" but has he really gone to his opponent's backyard or simply flown to neutral territory. Which is the point.

If I was a boxer, the thought of a 80,000 sell out has to be attractive, financially and egotistically. What is the largest fight attendance, aside from that, in recent years?

Personally, I don't think Ward is that keen, its hot air. And even if he was serious, I think Froch really has got it in his mind to retire so will make excuses. In the end, it probably won't happen and we'll never know who made the excuses as the usual PR subdiffuge will ensue.

Would 1-2 have had more than a slight point with his first statement had he not used "lol" to qualify it? I only ask as when someone types that I can't read on so was wondering if 1-2 was just stating that people think Ward is a stay at home fighter. Lol = The end. If so, I agree they do.

DuransHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 03 Apr 2015, 8:30 pm

Happytravelling wrote:

80,000 for Froch v Ward.................. Rolling Eyes

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Happytravelling Fri 03 Apr 2015, 8:52 pm

True Truss. Might be a bit ambitious. But might get enough wanting to see Froch win/lose to make it a decent crowd.

Still more than they'll get to turn up in the usa

Happytravelling

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Fri 03 Apr 2015, 8:52 pm

Yeh I agree with catchweight......Ward does not travel outside the state of California let alone travel to a different country....hell a different Continent!!!

Ain't going happen

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 04 Apr 2015, 10:51 am

mobilemaster8 wrote:Yeh I agree with catchweight......Ward does not travel outside the state of California let alone travel to a different country....hell a different Continent!!!

Ain't going happen

Why don't you do some research on other great American fighters from the past and present.....How often they fought abroad..

Before being silly.............

Nitpicking at this because you can't find any other way to discredit a guy you don't like.......

As for him being boring....Didn't particularly like Whittaker but it doesn''t stop me having him Top 3 in my list of greatest fighters of the last 25 years......

When 3 fighters go on to win World titles after being slapped..............You know you have a special fighter..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 04 Apr 2015, 11:36 am

Ward should just move to 175 already. He's fighting in an abomination of a division, and has said previously he wanted to try out heavyweight before he bows out. Go to 175, take out Stevenson or Kovalev, then the other, and maybe a Beterbiev type for good measure, and see from there.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Sat 04 Apr 2015, 1:18 pm

If the money's put on the table Ward may well travel to fight Froch,big Froch fan but Ward will have needed to go back a lot to lose this, outclassed Carl 1st time around.

Ward would be daft not to have a warm up fight first to enable him to lose ring rust.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sat 04 Apr 2015, 4:01 pm

Disagree Truss..

Whittaker was world class technically brilliant and a lot more exciting inside and outside the ring than Andre Ward.

Andre is undoubtedly a good fighter but he is ugly to watch, boring as hell, uses his head far too much, is dirty, gets away with a lot and is clever.

He is never taken out his comfort zone because he gets a lot of leeway in my eyes.

Not taking anything away from his record but for me he just doesn't and never will sit right.

If he jumped a weight and went to a champs backyard or something like that (which is what he keeps moaning at GGG a to do) then I'll say otherwise.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat 04 Apr 2015, 5:23 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
mobilemaster8 wrote:Yeh I agree with catchweight......Ward does not travel outside the state of California let alone travel to a different country....hell a different Continent!!!

Ain't going happen

Why don't you do some research on other great American fighters from the past and present.....How often they fought abroad..

Before being silly.............

Nitpicking at this because you can't find any other way to discredit a guy you don't like.......

As for him being boring....Didn't particularly like Whittaker but it doesn''t stop me having him Top 3 in my list of greatest fighters of the last 25 years......

When 3 fighters go on to win World titles after being slapped..............You know you have a special fighter..

Ward isn't those fighters of yesteryear, you can't give him a bonus point because other fighters before him have done so that are from the same country. Ward as of yet has not left America for a fight, despite being in the Super 6, he has had everything dictated on his terms. Which is fair enough and great negotiation on his and his teams part, however, to be as great as you can be, sometimes you have to show that you can do things outside your comfort zone. Ward hasn't yet shown that and has made other fighters come to him. Froch Vs Ward was in America, despite it not being his side of the coast.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Sun 05 Apr 2015, 9:02 am

Froch is the event on this side of the pond. Ward brings nothing to the table (apart from a guarentee of a ud loss) and he'll be looking a minimum 50/50 deal. Ward has become the most irrelevant p4p no.2 I can remember. 
Fighting kovalev would bring back some relevance mind you.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by KO-KING Sun 05 Apr 2015, 8:21 pm

Froch wont fight him - gets embarrassed if he does.

If I was froch I wouldn't fight him, Beat up Chavez in Vegas then retire

KO-KING

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Mon 06 Apr 2015, 9:01 am

Wouldn't worry about this fight ward is supposedly fighting Marco Antonio Periban....the guy De Gale wiped away in three.

Brill

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Tue 07 Apr 2015, 1:19 pm

After hearing Hearn talking about a Froch / Ward fight it seemed fairly obvious the only was Matchroom wanted the fight was if Ward didn't get a warm up.

I guess if he looks poor in the warm up they may be interested but can't see it happening.

Ward is just a better fighter than Froch and for someone as gobby as Froch can be it seems unlikely as he hasn't been talking about fighting Ward.

Just can't see it happen unless Ward looks shot.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by Volcanicash Wed 08 Apr 2015, 3:33 pm

mobilemaster8 wrote:Disagree Truss..

Whittaker was world class technically brilliant and a lot more exciting inside and outside the ring than Andre Ward.

Andre is undoubtedly a good fighter but he is ugly to watch, boring as hell, uses his head far too much, is dirty, gets away with a lot and is clever.

He is never taken out his comfort zone because he gets a lot of leeway in my eyes.

Not taking anything away from his record but for me he just doesn't and never will sit right.

If he jumped a weight and went to a champs backyard or something like that (which is what he keeps moaning at GGG a to do) then I'll say otherwise.

I have to disagree with this myth that seems to frequently get bandied about.  Ward looked sensational against Chad Dawson, and produced a boxing masterclass against Rodriguez in his last fight which was anything but boring.  Even the Froch fight though onesided (which pains me to say as a froch fan) was entertaining and nothing worse than I've seen from a Mayweather fight.  The Kessler fight was pretty decent, the Bika fight was ugly but watchable.  The only fights I've seen of him which had me dozing was the Green and Abraham fights.  He is never going to be Froch or Gatti etc but to he is still far from boring in the proper sense of the word.

Volcanicash

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Wed 08 Apr 2015, 3:40 pm

Don't think its a myth mate.

He battered a weight drained Dawson, outpointed AA in a full affair, headbutted Kesslers face into submission and the fight went to the cards after that, the Bika win was also dull (at least Stevenson knocked him down a couple of times), he kept punching and holding with Froch and of course he would outclass Edwin Rodriguez....who sorry? Brook destroyed Dan but because IBF made him mandatory people assumed it was a great win.

Ward is inactive and boring and should not be a p4p fighter.

He slates GGG a for not coming up a weight but yet when he fought Dawson he made him come down? Yeh whatever Andre

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 08 Apr 2015, 4:04 pm

In fairness to Ward, one of the primary reasons he's not been in that many exciting or really enjoyable fights is because he's been good enough to pretty much offset whatever his opponent has tried to do or whatever their strengths have been. Guys like Kessler and Froch are pretty good value for money fighters in their own right but haven't been able to really make a contest against Ward entertaining because he's been way too good for them. If he went up to 175 where he's more likely to be extended I suspect fights against Stevenson and Kovalev, while not classics, would make for pretty decent viewing.

His style certainly isn't thrilling and outside of the Kessler and Froch fights I don't think there are any of his bouts I'd be that keen to watch again, but he does at least show a lot of skill and talent whenever he boxes and does things that any fan can appreciate. Contrast that to a Richar Abril or a Paulie Malginaggi and I don't think Ward is one of the most boring fighters out there. Ward's not as free-flowing or unpredictable a fighter as someone like Whitaker or Benitez who have also had the 'boring' tag attached to them, but he's not unwatchable, either.

At the end of the day, fighters with a tight defence and who concentrate on nullifying their opponent as much as they do displaying their own strengths are seldom the best-supported or most-watched fighters. But in Ward's case I certainly could watch his showings against Kessler and Froch again. The headbutt excuse on Kessler's behalf is about as lame as it gets (Ward should have been docked a point, but he was seriously outclassing Kessler for a long time before that point and had Kessler beaten from just about evey angle in terms of styles) and seeing him push Froch back, dominate him on the inside and control the range of the fight was very impressive.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Wed 08 Apr 2015, 4:16 pm

No real point replying to a post like that Chris. Plus you cut it pretty short so I bet theres a voodoo doll of mobile next to you being stabbed repeatedly with a turkey knife.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down