The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: The Masters Winner, via Process of Elimination: Notes from the Ballwasher

+32
Roller_Coaster
Bob_the_Job
JAS
NickisBHAFC
Hoggy_Bear
navyblueshorts
sportform
monty junior
NedB-H
owen10ozzy
Eyetoldyouso
Scottrf
mystiroakey
Davie
1GrumpyGolfer
Hibbz
beninho
MontysMerkin
LadyPutt
SmithersJones
John Cregan
dynamark
GPB
Lairdy
Shotrock
MustPuttBetter
sirbenson
McLaren
pedro
incontinentia
I'm never wrong
kwinigolfer
36 posters

Page 1 of 12 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: The Masters Winner, via Process of Elimination: Notes from the Ballwasher Empty PGA Tour: The Masters Winner, via Process of Elimination: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 08 Apr 2015, 3:08 am

1).Last year I slurped a couple of bottles of Malbec and attempted to make a case for a European Champion. Henrik Stenson was the chosen candidate and he played well but not nearly well enough, Jonas Blixt finishing ahead of him as the leading Swede. So we changed the formula this year, not the Malbec of course, but let's revert to Andy North's time-honoured process of elimination.
NB: Any bias or prejudice is entirely intentional.

2).Starting with Amateurs. One or two have come close, Patton, Venturi, but none won a Green Jacket and that won't change this year. Seven eliminated.

3).No rookie has one since Fuzzy Zoeller over 35 years ago. I fancy Tringale to play well, but I'll go with history and take out the 13 first-timers.

4).Jack Nicklaus won the 1986 Masters at the age of 46, the oldest Champion. I don't see any of the forty-somethings in the field improving their game, so let's dispense with the likes of Westwood, Furyk and Els and 20 others. 23 can exit, best chances Phil, who's only had one top ten finish since Muirfield, and Cabrera, always a decent each way punt.

5).Augusta National could be the toughest walking course these guys play, not good if you're carrying a knock, physically or mentally, or in some cases Tiger, both. Bye bye to seven crocks, including McDowell, Stenson and Reed.

6).Poor putters and scramblers need not apply. 24 still standing are #110 or below in the PGA Tour's primary putting or scrambling stat. On your way then Dustin, Rickie, Keegan, Webb, Kaymer, Rose, Charl and Adam. Big risk sending Matsuyama and Oosthuizen down the road, but their putting has not been good enough. Russell Henley may be a putting genius but he needs to scramble too.

7).As baseball fans know, "Chicks dig the long ball", and so do Augusta's Green Jackets; bad news for slowpokes Crane and Na and eight others, none of them in the top 100. Sorry Sneds, still good for a place.

8).Only fourteen left so time to discard those currently out of form. Regardless of what they might have done elsewhere in the world, none of this lot have a PGA Tour top ten finish this year: Dubuisson, Grace, Ilonen, Mahan, Streelman, Villegas. Adios to the 6 of you.

9).And of the rest, only Jason Day, Spieth and Jimmy Walker have wins, so San-Moon Bae, Sergio, Rory, Ryan Palmer and Bubba can leave quietly down Magnolia Lane.

10).Day, Spieth and Walker have all played well at Augusta. Day and Spieth have play-off wins this year, Walker has two wins by a total of 13 strokes. Give me the proven winner and measure up Jimmy Walker for a Green Jacket. Cheers.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: The Masters Winner, via Process of Elimination: Notes from the Ballwasher Empty Re: PGA Tour: The Masters Winner, via Process of Elimination: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by I'm never wrong Wed 08 Apr 2015, 8:37 am

Good, plausible analysis Kwini. But I am going to the bookies (again) today as I am going to disagree with Point 4 and put a few pennies on the Most Interesting Man in Golf.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: The Masters Winner, via Process of Elimination: Notes from the Ballwasher Empty Re: PGA Tour: The Masters Winner, via Process of Elimination: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 08 Apr 2015, 10:26 am

Not impressed with Bubba's Champions Dinner menu, think his choice of Ceasar Salad, grilled chicken with spuds AND macaroni cheese followed by some sort of cake is the dead same as last time.
Clearly leaves his imagination out on the golf course.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Wed 08 Apr 2015, 10:29 am

He wasn't allowed have waffle house- you can't use brand names for the champions dinner
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 08 Apr 2015, 10:30 am

cheers kwin! Excellent.

Have backed Stenson in the fantasy game but having just had the flu I agree he's bit of a dark horse.

Have a few quid on Walker at the bookie, but most of his wins (especially this year) have been walks in the park all Sunday. For me it's an open question how he'll perform under real pressure. And as far as I know he only has one Masters appearance (T8 last year).

Even if Spieth may be the real deal and had a play off win this year, I also doubt how he'll handle the pressure of a Sunday back 9.

With Rory you never know which Rory will show up. But if he's in the zone he walk away with an emerald(!) jacket.

Otherwise I don't think you can write off Bubba. As much as I dislike him, he's a proven winner and is in good form.

And if you say 'malbec' you can't not say Cabrera? RedWine

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 08 Apr 2015, 10:47 am

Tee times for the Par-3 Competition:

http://www.pgatour.com/news/2015/04/07/par-3-contest-groupings.html

Just hope that the Blackburn/Liverpool game is on so I'm not tempted.

Interesting that Woods and Stricker are playing together though; can you say "putting lesson"?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 08 Apr 2015, 11:19 am

Kwini

I was flicking a golf world (april issue I think) and it had a masters preview section, with a bit on bubba.  His god bothering isn't news, but in the article and anonymous source (make what you will of that) who I assumed was a player had the following to say about him.

"Mostly though, he is massively unpopular on tour because he is nothing like the image he portrays. He is seen as a phony"

And as a nod to super, this "insider" went on to say.

"bubba is a big god guy"

and

"If there is a supreme being, which I seriously doubt, I hope his main purpose is not to see bubba win golf tournaments"

"if five equally devout christians are in contention on sunday afternoon, who gets the nod from him? And why? Did the losers not pray for as long or as hard as the winner?"

So it seems the god stuff does grate on the other players, probably more so for the europeans.  But god bothering or not it seems the other players are getting a little sick of Gerry the good ol boy.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 08 Apr 2015, 12:03 pm

Hi Mac,
Wonder where those quotes are from.
Seems like there's a load of character assassination going on, all anonymous - which probably says more about the "witness" than it does about Bubba.
I also imagine most Tour players espouse "christian" values, like most of us do. Doesn't mean you have to go to church or have a good pray and thank the lord for doing the right thing in life.

When I've followed Bubba he's seemed to get on OK with other pros and caddies, plus he's got a pretty strong entourage around him and they can't all be stupid. Think he's getting a bad rap.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Wed 08 Apr 2015, 12:17 pm

Great article Kwini as usual! Really excited for it to begin!

I also agree about Bubba, I actually found that article disgusting, should that kind of thing be happening in a workplace?

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Wed 08 Apr 2015, 12:20 pm

In saying that, his homophobia is disgusting

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 08 Apr 2015, 12:24 pm

sirbenson wrote:
I also agree about Bubba, I actually found that article disgusting, should that kind of thing be happening in a workplace?
It does - if your colleague is an a-hole.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Wed 08 Apr 2015, 12:26 pm

Fair enough point haha!

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 08 Apr 2015, 12:57 pm

How would Gerry react if he wasn't served a hot meal?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Wed 08 Apr 2015, 1:06 pm

God wouldn't let that happen
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 08 Apr 2015, 1:18 pm

Stupid thing is that, in this country at least, "Christian" is synonymous with intolerance, nothing to do with proper values whatsoever. You'll see a political dose of that as all these Republican candidates (Cruz and Rand Paul already with hats in the ring, more racist gun-toting, right-to-lifers - an oxymoron when used the way they do - to follow) put themselves forward for Presidential Primaries. And people ask why I will never become a US citizen.

Mac,
Is GolfWorld still published in GB? Only an on-line service here, the tragic demise of a great magazine, pretty much the only golf magazine that was worth reading, can't even get SIGolfPlus any more.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 08 Apr 2015, 1:26 pm

MustPuttBetter wrote:God wouldn't let that happen

Really? I thought he was just a bread and wine kinda guy.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 08 Apr 2015, 1:27 pm

Did you see the S.Carolina video of the latest guy being shot by police "in self defence"? 6 shots in the back while running away...

Last edited by pedro on Wed 08 Apr 2015, 1:35 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 08 Apr 2015, 1:30 pm

Happens every week pedro, not often on video though.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 08 Apr 2015, 1:32 pm

Kwini

I guess it must be.  I don't buy it but it often seems to be among the magazines in the house of someone I know.  Seems like an ok read compared to most golf mags these days.

They also had a process of elimination to predict the masters champ like you, and they ended up with; Rory, Rose, Horschel, mahan, speith, day, gerry and scott.  With the final decision being Rose as the most likely winner.  Not sure his current form would justify that selection.

Last edited by McLaren on Wed 08 Apr 2015, 1:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 08 Apr 2015, 1:32 pm

pedro wrote:Did you see the S.Carolina video of the latest guy being shot police "in self defence"? 6 shots in the back while running away...

Thankfully that is now a murder inquiry.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Wed 08 Apr 2015, 1:39 pm

Very logical recap Kwin! I have a hunch about Rose and could also see Snedeker sneaking in. All eyes on Rory however ... and if he plays the 5 pars like he can/should ... watch out.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 08 Apr 2015, 1:46 pm

Where does The Masters stand in your ranking of favourite tournaments?

Quite a long way down on mine, certainly Ryder Cup first, followed by The Open, US Open and PGA.
So, at least fifth and probably also prefer Harbour Town and Memorial, and definitely the early rounds of the old MatchPlay event (couldn't care less about round robin though).

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Wed 08 Apr 2015, 1:49 pm

For me ...

US Open
Open Championship
Masters
PGA
Players

(throw a towel over the rest of them ...)

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 08 Apr 2015, 1:54 pm

You've got Rose Coloured glasses Sr! Certainly think Snedeker has a great chance.

Rose has been in terrible "form", just coming off his best result of the PGA Tour season though, 37th!
197th in driving accuracy
200th in scrambling
182nd in strokes gained putting.
Hope he turns it around for the summer.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 08 Apr 2015, 1:59 pm

Kwini

I would probably go for

Open
masters
us open
pga

after that I am not sure. But prefer majors to all other tournaments.

I am placing the masters second on purely watching experience terms. Over the years I have enjoyed the tournament as a TV experience over the US open and PGA. If I put my "SJW" cap on I know this is at the very least hypocritical, as the behavior of those who run ANGC has been appalling over the years. But putting that aside, even I am susceptible to seeing some good golf after a pretty long golfing winter.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Wed 08 Apr 2015, 2:14 pm

I'll talk about how the tournaments come across in the media. I like The Open best if it just plays a tad difficult. Bit of wind to make the players think, lots of "bump and run" as they call it.
I'll put the Masters second, and it would have been a lot closer, but I hate the commentators being so sycophantic about the course, the atmosphere etc. If they just did their job it would be closer. Then The US Open and tied between PGA and Players. Like watching Riveira as I have been there.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 08 Apr 2015, 2:24 pm

Ryder Cup
Masters (take away the sycophancy!)
The Open (depending on course though), otherwise
US Open
PGA
WGC-Match Play
Players
Dubai DC
WGC-Cadillac
WGC-Bridgestone
European Masters

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 08 Apr 2015, 2:52 pm

Rex Hoggard is tweeting that Marc Leishman has withdrawn due to "personal reasons", presumably the health of Mrs Leish.
Good health to them both.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Wed 08 Apr 2015, 3:12 pm

Koepka's odds seem to be drifting all the time, hmmm!?

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Wed 08 Apr 2015, 3:12 pm

Hi Kwini, I hope your well?

No wine for me this weekend as grapes now appear to irritate the stomach but thankfully grain does not. A few beers and a new bottle of whisky should keep my Masters weekend haze ticking over.

I see Tiger is out of his cask and his entourage are telling everyone who will listen he's back playing well again. Again. Somehow, I don't think things will go smoothly. I've said before he should try a little humility. Rory is the only one who can intimidate a field these days. Evens money he'll miss the cut is good value. 2/1 he doesn't speak to the press afterwards. 5/1 he leaves early with an ice pack.

I had Cabrera early doors before reading his son was involved in a fatal car crash recently. Sobering. Not sure if his mind will be focussed or fuzzy. Or if it’s the same son that caddied for him here in his recent fine finish?

For fear of turning this into a Bubba/god botherer ridicule thread - I see Bubba was voted least liked player on tour by 200 tour players in an ESPN survey, with Bubba voting for himself. His blend of holiness and stupidity doesn't help him but you'd think being a recent father would. Given that I saw him out smiling and letting the kids at the chip and putt shake his hand, I think his head's in the right place to live up to his serious contender billing. Reed was second in the survey and inside the top 5, which he may or may not be happy about. Apparently, this year, the single minded one is hitting the ball too low to hit the required heights. And I wonder where Dustin Johnson appeared on the list? After seeing the comments about Dufner's wife divorcing him, I've read rumours that the well-travelled Dustin has been there as well. He's obviously got a good touch but probably too harsh for Augusta.

Moving away from the tour baddies - Jimmy Walker has matured quickly in his later years and whilst still wet around the ears by Augusta standards his T8 last year and recent form has earned my backing. The soft texan is a high and long ball hitter, which also makes him a good fit. 33/1 was a nifty price prior to his recent win. Stenson also has a good ball flight and is a high spin player - good for the greens that will firm up. For his and my sakes I hope he's had a curer. Probably of vodka rather than a hot toddy. On standby, something cool to keep that fiery temper at bay? (and save the club shafts) As for the younger guys - Matsuyama is another long, high baller who I've seen putt well but obviously the stats say otherwise? Like the Japanese Whisky trade I fancy him to have an influence on things to come. Speith's body has been too busy to have a say. He will develop and win big soon but not this time round. For Fowler - barring his garish colour he's been quiet, but hopefully saving his form to spike at the right time again. 35/1 is good value for a swig each way.

But maybe it is Whiskey and not Whisky this weekend? What an achievement it would be for someone so young - to have the complete set at 25 years old. Many of those 25 years spent looking up to a man he now replaces. Not in titles, yet, but certainly in stature if he wins. For Rory the last of the four, and for Europe the first since '99 - a green jacket would be a rare collectable worth savouring.

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Wed 08 Apr 2015, 3:14 pm

The Majors>>>>>>>>>>The Ryder Cup

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 08 Apr 2015, 3:19 pm

Lairdy, you should do a weekly piece as well! clap

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 08 Apr 2015, 3:30 pm

Agreed, Lairdy always has an individual take on things thumbsup
Bad news about the RedWine though. Think I'd react to that like I react to an unpleasant noise in my car when I turn the stereo up. In this case I think I'd have another bottle of RedWine to teach unsavoury intestinal behaviour a lesson.
Whisky

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 08 Apr 2015, 4:03 pm

Arnie presented with mounted pieces of the Eisenhower tree - no short planks reported.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Wed 08 Apr 2015, 4:08 pm

Seems to me that the people most 'bothered' by the God bothering are the ones that keep talking about it.

Q. Why do you keep jamming an ice pick in your ear?

A. Because it feels so good when I stop.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Wed 08 Apr 2015, 4:19 pm

Good article as always Kwin.I played couple of weeks back with a guy who is off on a trip to include the masters for a second time .Now i didnt think tourist tickets were available god(him again)only knows the price of the trip.he tells me thet one can purchase a seat around the 18th and a tag with your name is placed on it ,none else will dare to use that seat and you can wander off for the morning and return for the players coming in and your seat ready and waiting.
Loooking forward to the action

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 08 Apr 2015, 4:52 pm

Cheers dyna,

Masters menu autographs:
https://twitter.com/GCMorningDrive/status/585825705981833216

Think I can just about decypher/guess most of these, but certainly can't figure out Tiger's (perhaps he just won't sign, dunno) or Woosie's.
Having said which there are three that look completely illegible:
The red one!
Middle row, third from the top
The one on the left that looks like Gary F*ck, between Cabrera and Aaron. (Assume the scribble to the right of that is Fuzzy Zoeller?)
Any ideas?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Wed 08 Apr 2015, 4:58 pm

I think

Gary F*ck = Doug Ford

Tiger is between O'Meara and Nicklaus on right side.

Don't know who is in RED.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Wed 08 Apr 2015, 5:01 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Middle row, third from the top
Mike Weir?

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Wed 08 Apr 2015, 5:03 pm

Folk outside of golf look in and probably think this is all a bit silly but I think we probably appreciate this sort of thing.Presidents/dinners/drive ins/captains/traditions basicaly.
Financial pressures on golf clubs are making some changes but very important that we try to retain as much as we can.
I would go with prawn cocktail,rump steak,black forest gateaux and a bottle of blue nun.
Berni inns 1978

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Wed 08 Apr 2015, 5:05 pm

And a bit of Demis Roussos on the radio?

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Wed 08 Apr 2015, 5:10 pm

Thanks! I'd like to think I have the ideas and imagination for it but I don't have the time or vocabulary for a regular piece. I just try to get on here when I can and enjoy the ballwasher!

I was thinking the other day - US Masters or The Open? Depends what time of year you ask me! The Masters is so special for us in the UK. As Mac says above it is the picture perfect start of the golfing season for us after/during a long winter.

I'm putting the unsavoury intestinal behaviour down to too much work, coffee and christmas overindulgences. I'm still working unfortunately, but I've cut down on coffee and it isn't christmas anymore - I know that because the Masters is on this week - so hopefully the stomach will come round at some point.

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 08 Apr 2015, 5:22 pm

GPB,
Good thought on Doug Ford - forgot about him.

As for Tiger, good lord! Had thought that was Mike Weir!!

So that would mean that I'm never wrong is correct that the rolling waves with the dots is Weir.

Perhaps the signature in red is the Waffle House chef?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Wed 08 Apr 2015, 5:37 pm

Woosnam was not in the Group Picture of Champions Dinner.  Of course they could have put him in the back row

https://twitter.com/TheMasters/status/585606413218611204

Front Row L-R: Ford, Palmer, B Watson, B Payne, Nicklaus, Player, Crenshaw

Standing L-R: Singh, Goalby, Cabrera, T Watson, Coody, Langer, Weir, Aaron, Zoeller, Z Johnson, Schwartzel, Lyle, Faldo, A Scott, Olazabal, Mickelson, Couples, Immelman, Mize, Stadler, Floyd, O'Meara, Woods

Jackie Burke was not there either.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Wed 08 Apr 2015, 6:35 pm

GPB wrote:Woosnam was not in the Group Picture of Champions Dinner.  Of course they could have put him in the back row

https://twitter.com/TheMasters/status/585606413218611204

Front Row L-R: Ford, Palmer, B Watson, B Payne, Nicklaus, Player, Crenshaw

Standing L-R: Singh, Goalby, Cabrera, T Watson, Coody, Langer, Weir, Aaron, Zoeller, Z Johnson, Schwartzel, Lyle, Faldo, A Scott, Olazabal, Mickelson, Couples, Immelman, Mize, Stadler, Floyd, O'Meara, Woods

Jackie Burke was not there either.

What year did Billy Payne win?!!

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 08 Apr 2015, 6:37 pm

Every year. They make $30M p.a. profit!!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Wed 08 Apr 2015, 6:52 pm

John Cregan wrote:
What year did Billy Payne win?!!

R-H-I-P

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Wed 08 Apr 2015, 7:01 pm

Well, here goes. 1st night of 5 days coverage with the Par 3 competition. Don't knw if I'll last the course. .....But just been told it;s an hour until live coverage. Shocked

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 08 Apr 2015, 7:52 pm

Fuzzy Zoeller is the red one.
The one to the right of Gary F*ck is Adam Scott.

Thought Jack's was Jordan Spieth...

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Wed 08 Apr 2015, 8:35 pm

Jack got a hole in one!!!! Excellent!

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 12 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next