The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cruiserweight peak match up

+8
ONETWOFOREVER
88Chris05
hazharrison
captain carrantuohil
mobilemaster8
TRUSSMAN66
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
Adam D
12 posters

Go down

Cruiserweight peak match up Empty Cruiserweight peak match up

Post by Adam D Wed 15 Apr 2015, 2:11 pm

Holyfield vs David Haye  - how do you see it going at their peaks?

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Cruiserweight peak match up Empty Re: Cruiserweight peak match up

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Wed 15 Apr 2015, 2:22 pm

Holyfield has gone to war with huge punchers at heavyweight, not just get caught cleanly but actually gone to war

Holyfield isn't getting stopped by one shot and if he goes down he can recover. Holyfield in his prime was an athlete and could fight hard for 12 rounds and if he survives Hayes early barrage then he'd wear down Haye to a lateish KO

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 15 Apr 2015, 2:32 pm

Problem is when you're comparing skill sets is that you forget the human element..

Haye has only really fought one world class operator and he cacked his pants...

Expect the same to happen here...

120-108................Or ko 3 If he brings his bollox into the ring..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Wed 15 Apr 2015, 3:08 pm

Id agree Champo.

Holyfield to drag Haye out of his comfort zone, make him work and throw shots before stopping him late on

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Wed 15 Apr 2015, 3:18 pm

I was drawn to this thread by the fabulous idea that the words "cruiserweight" and "peak" could genuinely exist in the same sentence.

As I feared, however, what we have here is the one genuinely great operator in the division's history against a bloke who might belong among the next four but is as far behind Holyfield as Glenn McCrory would be behind Haye.

Holyfield at 190 was head and shoulders above both his contemporaries and anyone else at the weight before and since. A nasty streak, great chin, varied offensive arsenal, the ability to fight off either foot and punch power of real authority. Can't see Haye dancing around Holyfield - the cruiserweight Haye went out looking to mangle his opponents - but it makes little difference in any case. In any meaningful category, Haye is outclassed by comparison. I suspect the most telling difference would be stamina; remember how Haye folded like a jack-knife against Thompson. Think that Holyfield sets a pace that Haye can't match, absorbs Haye's decreasingly frequent bombs with ease and pays them back with interest. Can't see this one going past 8 and could easily envisage it ending earlier.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Wed 15 Apr 2015, 3:32 pm

Holyfield takes his best punches, outworks him, beats him up and then stops him in the second half.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 15 Apr 2015, 3:33 pm

Not much to add to what's been said, really. Aside from having the heavier one-shot knockout power, I can't see an area where Haye holds any of the cards in this one and with Holyfield's chin, stamina and endurance (all of which blow Haye's out of the water) I don't think it'll count for much.

Holyfield was a proper technician with deft footwork and was pretty damn fast as a Cruiser, too (the additional weight at Heavy seemed to blunt him in the speed area, though he was always sound enough in that area). He was hittable but so would Haye be if he was faced with a fighter blessed with Evander's offensive capabilities. Holyfield by virtual shutout or late stoppage.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Wed 15 Apr 2015, 3:44 pm

Styles make fights

Holyfield went to war with fighters who threw back.

Haye is a heavy handed pot shotter who won't engage in a trade off but wait for the bingo punch.

Haye by surprise ko 2nd round.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 15 Apr 2015, 3:46 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:Styles make fights

Holyfield went to war with fighters who threw back.

Haye is a heavy handed pot shotter who won't engage in a trade off but wait for the bingo punch.

Haye by surprise ko 2nd round.
I'm a big Haye fan but even I think you're a pillock for holding that view

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Wed 15 Apr 2015, 3:47 pm

I can see Haye doing a bit better than most of you are suggesting- I think he could take a few of the early rounds, but Holyfield eventually grinding him down for a points win or late stoppage.
The Wlad fight was a poor showing, but other than that his performances were mostly good, had a glittering amateur career, and was fast, skilled and powerful. I certainly don't think he's a push over for anyone at 190.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Wed 15 Apr 2015, 3:48 pm

Because Evander was so often KO'd in the early going by "heavy-handed pot-shotters"? Because Holyfield didn't deal with absolute authority with every cruiserweight he ever met after his transformational struggle with the excellent Qawi (the Qawi of that first bout v a prime Haye might be a more interesting fight to critique)? Or just because you've evidently been on the turps again?

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 15 Apr 2015, 3:50 pm

captain carrantuohil wrote:Because Evander was so often KO'd in the early going by "heavy-handed pot-shotters"? Because Holyfield didn't deal with absolute authority with every cruiserweight he ever met after his transformational struggle with the excellent Qawi (the Qawi of that first bout v a prime Haye might be a more interesting fight to critique)? Or just because you've evidently been on the turps again?
That's just a more eloquent version of what I said........

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Wed 15 Apr 2015, 4:38 pm

I actually see it as a different kinda fight, too many people looking past CW and what they both did at HW. Haye, at CW, was a much more accomplished fighter who would let his balls hang loose fairly often. That and he had huge, huge power for the weight.

I can see a much more competitive fight than most see, with Holyfield having to weather a serious storm for the first 5 rounds or so before gradually wearing down a tiring Haye to an 11th round stoppage where he's one down on the scorecards in a thriller.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Thu 16 Apr 2015, 3:18 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Problem is when you're comparing skill sets is that you forget the human element..

Haye has only really fought one world class operator and he cacked his pants...

Expect the same to happen here...

120-108................Or ko 3 If he brings his bollox into the ring..

Laugh  

I like it.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Thu 16 Apr 2015, 3:25 pm

Holyfield wins within 8 maybe less,Haye may come out bombing but Holyfield had more than enough power to counter Haye.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down