The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Billy Corgan joins TNA

+4
Samo
Prometheus
talkingpoint
Adam D
8 posters

Go down

Billy Corgan joins TNA Empty Billy Corgan joins TNA

Post by Adam D Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:49 am

TNA Press Release wrote:NASHVILLE, Tenn. (April 27, 2015) --- TNA Entertainment today announced Billy Corgan, founder of the Smashing Pumpkins and creative icon, is joining TNA Wrestling as Senior Producer, Creative and Talent Development, effective immediately. In this position, Corgan will develop characters and create story lines for TNA’s flagship program IMPACT WRESTLING

“I’ve known Billy for years and have always been blown away by his musical artistry, as well as his knowledge and understanding of professional wrestling,” said TNA President Dixie Carter.  “He has always impressed me with his creativity and passion for our business. Billy is truly gifted and understands the emotion tied to the psychology of connecting with an audience. The more we talked, the more I realized his perspective has the potential to make a huge impact on our brand.”

“Saying I’m humbled and honored by this opportunity to be part of TNA, a world-class wrestling organization, is an understatement and a dream come true,” said Corgan. “What’s great is the entire TNA organization stands in full support of my music life with the Smashing Pumpkins. In return, I’m fully committed to using my 30 years of entertainment experience, along with my deep-rooted passion for pro wrestling, to take on the thrilling challenge of creatively contributing to IMPACT WRESTLING, finding and developing new talent, and working eye-to-eye with the best-of-the-best. For as cultures currently evolve at great speed, so must pro wrestling meet and supersede such expectations to thrive.”

Corgan joins a gifted group of creative writers led by TNA Executive Vice President of Television and Talent John Gaburick. In addition to partnering with his creative colleagues in writing compelling and emotionally engaging story lines for TNA programming, Corgan will attend TNA television tapings where he will serve as a senior producer, working with TNA’s roster of world-class athletes including veterans such as TNA World Champion and Olympic Gold Medalist Kurt Angle, Jeff Hardy and Gail Kim, as well as a fresh crop of Superstars led by Ethan Carter III, Bram, Rockstar Spud and more.

“As an iconic songwriter and performance artist, Billy stands as a true powerhouse,” said Gaburick. “I also find him to be an ardent historian of professional wrestling and a true visionary. We knew Billy would bring a great viewpoint when we offered, and he graciously accepted, to attend a recent creative summit. During those meetings, Billy’s pioneering perspectives and collaborative approach made it quickly evident we needed to bring him on as a permanent member of our team.”

TNA programming, which features unparalleled professional wrestling entertainment through its innovative high-flying X-Division, the best women’s division on the planet in the TNA Knockouts, and incomparable Tag Team action, is seen by millions of viewers each week in more than 120 countries around the world.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Billy Corgan joins TNA Empty Re: Billy Corgan joins TNA

Post by talkingpoint Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:31 am

Not sure how I feel about this. At first I thought "great some new creative talent & name value for TNA", however, I then read the Rolling Stone article in which he was quoted as saying he wanted to explore race and transgender issues. chin

TNA have made some very good creative decisions since joining Destination America imo, and his interview has really got me worried. Orlando Jordan anyone?! picard I really hope this doesn't mean we are in for gay-wedding angles and cross-dressing double personality disorders. Sorry if that is un-PC of me, but there's a difference between being "relevant" and being PC.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:49 am

I think in last week's podcast, it might even have been Adam that commented that in wrestling, any grievance is settled with violence. And the bigger the grievance, the more violence is involved. So, its kind of hard to have deep storylines into big issues, when the punchline is going to literally be that.

Pimpinela Escarlata was quite over in Lucha Underground, but the angle is 90% comedic and I'm not really sure what it does for the equal opportunities angle when a male wrestler would rather run away and be counted out than face being kissed by a man in drag.

Adam, I saw that Gregory Helms has also been hired as an agent. I used to like his work as Hurricane. What if anything should I make of this news?
Prometheus
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:58 am

I got the impression on his JR podcast interview that he has back problems. I think he is quite respected in wrestling circles, so it might be a good move - he has been doing the indies for a good number of years so I can only see it as a good thing.

The Billy Corgan thing is a weird one - TNA were really keen to push the news but its just random to me. I know he has previous wrestling exposure but to me its like Carlos Santana announcing he is now the commentator for the WWE Spanish announce team.

The post that talkingpoint made scares me too!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:11 am

talkingpoint wrote:
I really hope this doesn't mean we are in for gay-wedding angles and cross-dressing double personality disorders. Sorry if that is un-PC of me, but there's a difference between being "relevant" and being PC.

The scariest thing is if they did that they would still be seen as copying WWE, with Billy & Chuck and Vito in a dress.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:11 pm

talkingpoint wrote:Not sure how I feel about this. At first I thought "great some new creative talent & name value for TNA", however, I then read the Rolling Stone article in which he was quoted as saying he wanted to explore race and transgender issues. chin

TNA have made some very good creative decisions since joining Destination America imo, and his interview has really got me worried. Orlando Jordan anyone?! picard I really hope this doesn't mean we are in for gay-wedding angles and cross-dressing double personality disorders. Sorry if that is un-PC of me, but there's a difference between being "relevant" and being PC.

Wonder if that means we can expect heavy attendance from the Stonewall brigade at future shows? Laugh

Its all very well wanting to push those sorts of agendas, but you have to think about the crowd reaction - how many would you lose vs how many would you gain? Also, you'd need the right kind of talent. I can't imagine the likes of Mr Anderson, Eric Young, James Storm...hell the majority of the roster, wanting any part of those sort of storylines...meaning new talent would have to be brought in.

Furthermore, I'm guessing there are already at least some LGBT wrestling fans. How would they react to those sort of stories? Are they happy with the product the way it is? Would they welcome LGBT issues being raised in storylines, or would they feel patronised (given that creative teams have never heard of words like "subtle" or "tactful" and are only vaguely aware of "tasteful")?

Must admit Billy Corgan is a big surprise. Love him as a musician, but its one thing to write material for a band...another thing entirely to create characters and stories for wrestlers.

Part of me thinks he couldn't do much worse than the current lot...I'm struggling to figure out exactly what the story / angle is for most of the matches. Then again, it could backfire spectacularly.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:18 pm

He was involved with Resistance Pro wrestling for quite some time so I dont think he is a complete newbie to it.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Enigma Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:16 pm

Yeah Resistance Pro Wrestling was his very own promotion but I don't think it's still active these days. He did bring in some 'High Profile' established names on a couple of the first shows, most notably former ECW stars, and even hired Raven in some creative capacity but that started to dry up very quickly. Raven didn't last too long and from the results I saw last year, RPW turned to booking unknowns mainly from the Chicago area.

Have known for years that he's been a massive fan of the sport and if he can bring some fresh, positive ideas to the table then that's only a positive thing. Not sure if he's started right away but it'll be a short time before his input will even be validated with ongoing storylines needing to fizzle out.

The_Enigma

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:19 pm

It seems a weird choice. If you think to yourself "we need some fresh ideas in creative" you'd hope the next sentence wasn't "anyone else here a Smashing Pumpkins fan?"

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:20 pm

Cant watch whilst in work - any good ?

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:04 am

really enjoyed the interview, gave me some more hope, but I'm still wary of his plans for transgender story lines. Dyrewolfe is right, you could potentially alienate fans if the angle is not done tactfully enough and yes I couldn't imagine anyone on the current roster who would go in for those story lines.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:20 pm

"Billy Corgan, Smashing Pumpkins"

"Homer Simpson, smiling politely"

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down