The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Giving it a try: Impact 3rd May

+3
Samo
talkingpoint
Prometheus
7 posters

Go down

Giving it a try: Impact 3rd May Empty Giving it a try: Impact 3rd May

Post by Prometheus Sun 03 May 2015, 10:59 pm

So, I've seen snippets of TNA recently and what I've found is that their in-ring product seems better. I told Adam that for me to watch a wrestling show, I expect a couple of 3* matches per program. At the start of their move to Destination America, I didn't think they were delivering that, but I wanted to see if they had progressed by watching a full show.

The first bout is a steet fight and it's like I caught it half way through. I've no idea who's actually fighting whom or for what and, though the addition of Al Snow to commentary in place of Taz is a huge improvement, no one explains what this match is about. I don't know if this is a 3 on 3, or a three-way tag. And there are some interesting spots (Manik and Davy Richards; Tower of Power, Davy Richards mad suicide dive), but this is random people fighting. 2*

X-Division Championship Ladder Match next. Tigres Uno, Kenny King, Mark Andrews and Rock Star Spud. Yeah, its a match. Its not very good. 1.5*

When I watch this, I kind of see why WWE has a look. Guys are ripped and usually ripped and big. And you know it strikes me that they do that because, well these TNA guys kind of look like guys who could be backyard wrestlers last week.

Taryn Terrell / Brooke
These two actually have a great look. Like most women's bouts its wrestled at about three-quarters of the speed I like my wrestling to flow at, but its watchable and with the after match events, makes sense. 2.5*

Drew Galloway / Low Ki Pipe-on-a-Pole match
There were good parts to this match. I think these two could work a good bout. I can't see how Galloway didn't break a rib over the chair. Ummm what was the point of the pipe? 2*

Eric Young / Kurt Angle Stretcher match
Angle is the first wrestler tonight to bring some genuine intensity that I can buy into. He doesn't look 100% fit, but this has been such a scrappy product tonight that he can still look good. And Eric Young is a solid worker. Not sure about the ending. On the one hand, I'm happy to listen to the argument that you get piledriven twice you don't get up. On the other, it was a bit 'oh, is that it'. 3*

Overall. I have problems with the WWE product. But WWE is like Premier League football and this is Division 1. And I have friends who swear by Division 1 footie, they say it is real and they can get close to the action and it is for them. If I saw this live as a house show, I think I'd come home happy. But as a TV product, IMO there are many better wrestling shows out there.
Prometheus
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Giving it a try: Impact 3rd May Empty Re: Giving it a try: Impact 3rd May

Post by talkingpoint Mon 04 May 2015, 12:59 am

[quote="Prometheus"]So, I've seen snippets of TNA recently and what I've found is that their in-ring product seems better.  I told Adam that for me to watch a wrestling show, I expect a couple of 3* matches per program.  At the start of their move to Destination America, I didn't think they were delivering that, but I wanted to see if they had progressed by watching a full show.
[quote]

Glad you gave Impact wrestling a try, but if you hadn't watched a full show up until now, how did you know TNA weren't producing 3* matches after they moved to Destination America?

The first bout is a steet fight and it's like I caught it half way through.  I've no idea who's actually fighting whom or for what and, though the addition of Al Snow to commentary in place of Taz is a huge improvement, no one explains what this match is about.  I don't know if this is a 3 on 3, or a three-way tag.  And there are some interesting spots (Manik and Davy Richards; Tower of Power, Davy Richards mad suicide dive), but this is random people fighting.   2*

There is background to this match, which if you had been following the show you would have known. It was the Revolution vs. the Hardys and Davy Richards. The Revolution is James Storm's cult and they have been in a feud with the Hardys for several months now. Now before you say they should have explained that for new viewers anyway, maybe you should have kept an open mind and reserved judgement seeing as this was the first time you'd watched the show in a while.

X-Division Championship Ladder Match next.  Tigres Uno, Kenny King, Mark Andrews and Rock Star Spud.  Yeah, its a match.  Its not very good.  1.5*

When I watch this, I kind of see why WWE has a look.  Guys are ripped and usually ripped and big.  And you know it strikes me that they do that because, well these TNA guys kind of look like guys who could be backyard wrestlers last week.

This makes no sense whatsoever. It's an X-Division match, it's meant to be TNA's equivalent to the cruiserweight division and you expect them all to be the size of Batista?! To be fair if you thought the match itself was subpar that's one thing, but to criticize it for the guys being too small sounds prejudiced to me.

Taryn Terrell / Brooke
These two actually have a great look.  Like most women's bouts its wrestled at about three-quarters of the speed I like my wrestling to flow at, but its watchable and with the after match events, makes sense.  2.5*

Drew Galloway / Low Ki Pipe-on-a-Pole match
There were good parts to this match.  I think these two could work a good bout.  I can't see how Galloway didn't break a rib over the chair.  Ummm what was the point of the pipe?  2*

Again if you had been following the show you would have known the relevance of the pipe. Drew used the pipe against Low Ki back in the UK when he debuted in TNA. Drew's The Rising has been in a feud with the BDC and last week Low Ki took his revenge by smashing Drew in the gut with the pipe. Therefore, the pipe was significant in their personal feud.

Eric Young / Kurt Angle Stretcher match
Angle is the first wrestler tonight to bring some genuine intensity that I can buy into.  He doesn't look 100% fit, but this has been such a scrappy product tonight that he can still look good.  And Eric Young is a solid worker.  Not sure about the ending.  On the one hand, I'm happy to listen to the argument that you get piledriven twice you don't get up.  On the other, it was a bit 'oh, is that it'.  3*

So the pile driver as a move was banned in the WWE because it was so dangerous, and Angle having a history of neck injuries, is hit with two pile drivers by EY to win the match and you find it underwhelming? Okay...

Overall.  I have problems with the WWE product.  But WWE is like Premier League football and this is Division 1.  And I have friends who swear by Division 1 footie, they say it is real and they can get close to the action and it is for them.  If I saw this live as a house show, I think I'd come home happy.  But as a TV product, IMO there are many better wrestling shows out there.

Clearly if you only just decided to watch a full show you already thought there were better shows out there. And if that is your big take away from watching a full show then nothing has changed. You don't have to like TNA, but your reasoning in this review was really bad. I give this review 2*.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus Mon 04 May 2015, 6:47 am

Some responses to your response.

1. Commentary has to explain what is happening in matches like the opener. Because if you are a first time viewer, it just feels so random.

2. I do get the background to the pipe. But no one used the pipe. A gimmick match where the gimmick isn't used?

3. I'm not saying that 3 tombstones don't finish the match, but it just seemed to go so quickly. TNAs champ beaten so comprehensively and strapped to the gurney was a surprise. And while watching it I'm not sure a good one.
Prometheus
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Mon 04 May 2015, 9:59 am

I think its a bit unfair to attack him for 'Not getting it' on his first viewing, very few fans do. The point is the commentators need to more of a job explaining what the story is about during the match as to not alienate casual fans. First impressions mean a lot, and you dont want a first time viewers impression to be one of confusion and misunderstanding which is no fault of their own.

It seems like you took his honest criticism of TNA like a personal attack, like he was criticizing your child or wife or something.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Mon 04 May 2015, 10:09 am

Have to agree with Samo, any show should be put on thinking that someone might be sitting down and watching it for the very first time, how are they going to draw that audience in and make them watch a 2nd and 3rd time? By explaining the context behind matches and rivalries, showing the viewer there's a continuing storyline and rivalry going on and it then draws them in to watch more.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by nadeem2099 Mon 04 May 2015, 11:41 am

Eric Young has impressed me with his crazy heel personality. Anything is better than his previous gimmick, which was cringe worthy. I just hope they don't turn him face again as there were signs of it 2 weeks ago.
nadeem2099
nadeem2099

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus Mon 04 May 2015, 12:25 pm

I think the thing is Hero and Samo. This is the week TNA got some news out there. So you got to expect some people might see that Billy Corgan is involved and give it a go. And you got to give those guys a soft landing, or like you say, they take off again. And apologies if the commentary was better than I say, but this is how it came over to me.
Prometheus
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon 04 May 2015, 12:58 pm

I havent see the show yet so can't coment but would like to think that reason falls between the teo standpoints.

I think the feuds have generally been booked well, especially as the tag division is last minute booking due to injuries.

The only recommendation I can make is to watch this weeks show as:

1. You will have more context having watched this weeks
2. It's live so there will be a few surprises and possibly have the corgan influence.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus Mon 04 May 2015, 1:35 pm

I look forward to your comments when you've seen it Adam.

The position I found myself in last night was that I've been DVRing Impact but only getting time to watch 15 to 20 mins. So when the DVR light came on I figured this was my chance to watch a whole show "live".

And it was serendipity, but probably not so fortuitous to catch this. As I have problems with the main event stop in any show. The stretcher match, we'll show me a good one. There are no 2 counts, no near falls, it's hard to build a story.

I won't have that chance next week, but I'll
Prometheus
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Wed 06 May 2015, 1:33 pm

I do have some sympathy for Prometheus. I'm a fairly regular TNA viewer (though I missed Hardcore Justice) and even when you do watch it regularly, you are sometimes left baffled by events and match outcomes (well, I am anyway).

The only usual constant is that the in-ring action is watchable-to-very good.

That said, I also sort of agree with talkingpoint that, had he seen the previous few shows, it would have all made more sense.

Its like diving into any show mid-series...things happens and you have no idea why. Wink

As to the image, I'd argue WWE is stuck in the 80s and 90s with their preference for huge "ripped" guys. Personally, I actually like that TNA's heavyweights are big, but relatively normal looking.

It shows you can be strong and fit without necessarily going for that ultra-toned look. For me character and ability is way more important than appearance *sheds another tear over Samoa Joe's departure Sad *
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down