England vs New Zealand Test Series - May/June 2015

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

England vs New Zealand Test Series - May/June 2015

Post by LondonTiger on Mon 04 May 2015, 9:24 am

First topic message reminder :

Less than two weeks to go before the Selectors announce England's squad for the first test, starting on 21st May. At the culmination of the West Indies first innings in Barbados you would have said that the test team had perhaps taken two steps forward and one backwards. The rest of that test were however several huge backward steps as we look to progress.

So what can we expect when the squad is announced in 12 days time? The guys on the current tour who have not played (Lyth, Bairstow, Rashid, Plunkett & Wood) will have just one first class game to try and make their cases for selection - and now you have to say that there are definitely places up for grabs.

Certain to be in Squad:

Cook, Ballance, Bell, Root, Buttler, Broad, Anderson

Cook will continue as captain in the near future, while his runs in the Caribbean have secured his spot at the top of the order for a while yet.
Broad will be included, but I feel his place is increasingly at risk.

Probably in Squad:

Stokes, Ali

Likely to both be in squad. Real question is should both be in the team at the same time? Stokes is surely a 4th seamer, while this tour has reminded us that Ali had a fantastic introduction to International cricket as a bowler, but as someone who has always been a batsman who bowls a bit he is still learning his trade. Should he really be the main spinner?

Likely to miss out

Trott, Jordan, Tredwell

The experiment with Trot at opener is surely over. Jordan has not looked good enough to fill the 3rd seamer role, and does not bat well enough to be 4th seamer. Tredwell can return to Canterbury to be Kent's second choice spinner.

So who will be asked to step up?

At opener Lyth is the next cab on the rank, but will have played bugger all cricket. Robson made a big hundred at the weekend, but bugger all in Middlesex first two CC matches. Hales is scoring runs for Notts, but at number 3.
Plunkett and Wood may be looked at but have the same problem as Lyth with no cricket under their belts. Who is there in county cricket who bowls with real pace, can offer something different and can get good batsmen out?  not sure there is anyone. If fit Woakes may well be looked at.
Finally we need a genuine spinner in the squad. Coach (should he survive) and skipper do not rate Rashid - so who do we look at next?

The good news, for England team, is that NZs preparations will be disrupted with several players not arriving from IPL until the eve of the first test.

NZ Squads:

Test squad:
Brendon McCullum (captain), Corey Anderson, Trent Boult, Doug Bracewell, Mark Craig, Martin Guptill, Matt Henry, Tom Latham, Luke Ronchi (wk), Hamish Rutherford, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Neil Wagner, BJ Watling (wk), Kane Williamson.

ODI and T20 squad:
Brendon McCullum (captain), Corey Anderson, Trent Boult, Grant Elliott, Martin Guptill, Matt Henry, Tom Latham, Mitchell McClenaghan, Nathan McCullum, Adam Milne, Luke Ronchi (wk), Mitchell Santner, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Kane Williamson.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Re: England vs New Zealand Test Series - May/June 2015

Post by Gooseberry on Sat 16 May 2015, 1:01 pm

msp83 wrote:Buttler still averages 62 it should be remembered. And though he was wasted at 8, he didn't do too bad in the West Indies either to warrant any debate on his place in the side. I think he's a better wicketkeeper than Bairstow, and I think Buttler is better with the bat as well. Bairstow has some serious technical issues with his batting. The thing with Buttler is about how England would manage him.......

But Ali's average of 28 with the ball counts for nothing according to earlier comments.

One argument for putting Buttler at 8 is that they dont want to spend too much time messing with his batting to turn him into a "proper" test batsman and damage his style for limited overs, rather concentrate his training on what he does best and improving his keeping.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat on Sat 16 May 2015, 1:44 pm

Davies can be a very stylish and effective batsman, whether opening or in the middle order. He could probably do a decent job for England just as a batter in t20s or ODIs but part of the problem of him getting a gig is that people tend to ask ''why isn't he keeping?'' rather than look solely at his batting. I think it will be some time - if ever - before that changes. He shows no current signs of returning behind the stumps.

As for Tests, I suspect there's a perception that he lacks the necessary mental toughness. I can understand that.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 on Sat 16 May 2015, 2:24 pm

Gooseberry wrote:
msp83 wrote:Buttler still averages 62 it should be remembered. And though he was wasted at 8, he didn't do too bad in the West Indies either to warrant any debate on his place in the side. I think he's a better wicketkeeper than Bairstow, and I think Buttler is better with the bat as well. Bairstow has some serious technical issues with his batting. The thing with Buttler is about how England would manage him.......

But Ali's average of 28 with the ball counts for nothing according to earlier comments.

One argument for putting Buttler at 8 is that they dont want to spend too much time messing with his batting to turn him into a "proper" test batsman and damage his style for limited overs, rather concentrate his training on what he does best and improving his keeping.
Ali doesn't average 28 with the ball for a start. The second thing is that unlike Buttler, Ali was godawful in the West Indies and was unbowlable in the 3rd test.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 on Sat 16 May 2015, 2:43 pm

Gooseberry wrote:
Mike Selig wrote:Where though? I like Hales a lot but he's not opening and England's middle order is fairly settled. Bell may come under pressure unless he finds more consistency but I think most would agree Ballance, Bell, Root at 3,4,5 is reasonable ATM... The same people wanting him picked are those who would crucify England if they picked him as a test opener and he failed...

Unless you are talking about ODIs...in which case yes Hales should be opening, possibly with Roy.

Yep I dont think anyone can argue Hales should be in the limited overs sides.
I mentioned him in connection with tests previously as a mirror to the furore over KP. Hales has done essentially the same as the great one except against better opposition in iv 1, and offers essentially the same to the team ...middle order batting no (significant) bowling,  attacking intent, the ability to hit opposition bowlers out of the attack, and big runs quickly which can turn a game on its head. Just without the baggage.Yet its barely touched the news that he is off to the IPL rather tan even being available should Bell fail/explode/resign/tweet rude things about strauss in the next few weeks.

The side just doesnt need/want that kind of player right now though. 3-5 is where their strength lies. Thats also going to be the issue for Davies, who if he was keeping would be competing for Bairstow as Buttlers understudy. Neither of them or Taylor are easily going to get in the test side whilst Root, Ballance and Bell are fit and whilst England cant find 4 bowlers who could carry the attack on their own.

So as usual most of the top run scorers and wicket takers from the county game arent in and in many cases not even close to the squad.

Is that a sign that the county game is pretty irrelevant, its been said before by England coaches.
So if Hales is an even better replacement to Kevin Pietersen, then its downright stupid that he is not picked for the test team.
Pietersen scored his runs with intent not for the first time in that match for Surrey. He did it against top quality bowlers all around the world, the innings for Surrey only proves that he still has it in him to do the same. Hales is a useful young talent, but that's what he is. His international record in limited overs is an awful 21. Now that Kevin Pietersen averaged 104 after his debut ODI series, and then scored 3 tons including England's fastest in his next. Perhaps Jason Roy or Hales might one day emerge as a new generation Pietersen, (are they from the right kind of families by the way?)but that is not as silly as it is made out to be, and there is a long long way to reach there.
Now to the serious stuff about the top performers in county cricket being marginal figures in the England side. Yes domestic stats alone shouldn't may not get a player into the side just like that. However, the other picks aren't quite delivering that much are they? Think Root and Ballance, when they were picked, had impressive seasons/records. Lyth is also in the scheme of things on the back of his last season's performance and solid overall record. Hales isn't in there 1 because his overall record isn't great, 2 his ODI performances, in admittedly scattered and limited number of chances, haven't been anything to write about. The one performer from the domestic level who's case has been curious is Adil Rashid, but they are trusting Ali to deliver like he did against a year ago, and perhaps there could be other issues, they don't seem to trust the speed of his bowling.......

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig on Sat 16 May 2015, 3:21 pm

Is this the first season Hales has played at 3 rather than as an opener? If so I think that is a further argument against picking him as an opener (in tests)...

But Gooseberry is right: England's main weaknesses are finding a partner for Cook (and Cook's form, although most recently it is excellent) and the lack of back-up to Broad and Anderson. Middle-order is a comparative strength.

The simple fact is England don't have that many options.

They have tried Compton (not very good), Carberry (pretty hopeless), Robson (fundamental technical issues), Root (clearly more at home in the middle-order) and Trott (no further comment required).

Looking at the seam bowlers, Plunkett was inconsistent in the extreme, Jordan hasn't fulfilled his promise (yet?), Stokes also has struggled for consistency, Woakes has improved and is possibly the best bet but still isn't a major wicket-taking threat, Finn's issues are well advertised, etc. One to keep an eye out for if you ask me is James Harris: for a long time a stalwart of Lions squads but his first couple of years at Middlesex didn't quite work out; this season though he is back with a bang and word is that he has gone back to basics and that seems to be reaping rewards. I wouldn't bet against him playing test cricket before the end of the summer, especially if there are injuries...

The spin cupboard meanwhile is even barer.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 on Sat 16 May 2015, 3:33 pm

In Ballance and Root, England's middle order has 2 solid players. However, Ian Bell, though has done just about enough to get a few more games, is in a position wherein he has to soon regain his consistency. So the middle order by no means is a shut shop. Likewise, Post-Swann England have been trying to play with the all-rounder at 6, thus giving up on the 4 bowler formula that was successfully used during the Swann days. In a sense they are trying to replicate the 2005 kind of combination wherein they had Fredye Flintoff on his peak at 6 and Ashley Gyles at 8 who could bat as well. But the problem is that players like Flintoff and Pietersen won't be there all the time. Stokes, Ali, Rashid or Woakes, none of them are anywhere near Flintoff the bowler. At this point, none of them are as good as Fredye at his best with the bat either. Fredye himself, even at his peak, was top 6 only at a pinch. So the output from the current crop, unless it improves, can't be sustainable for long, and they will have to revert to 6 batsman, and pick Tredwell or Rashid as the sole spinner with 3 seamers, and leave parttime bowling duties to Root, and perhaps Lyth as well. Root, I think is as good as Paul Collingwood with the ball, in terms of their impact. So again, the middle order can open up possibilities perhaps sooner than some of us seem to think.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 on Sat 16 May 2015, 7:29 pm

Corey Anderson has had a bowl in the tour game today, suggesting he's available for consideration for the first test. But he bowled only 8 overs in the game and didn't bat. Guptill meanwhile scored 61 not out in the 2nd innings. With both Guptill and Rutherford in the runs, and Anderson not batting and being out of action leading up to this game for a month might mean NZ will go in with 6 batsmen for the first test. But with Craig not expected to have much help from the track, that might be asking a bit too much of Boult and Southee.......
Among the NZ seamers, Henry took a few wickets but went for a few as well, Wagner kept it really tight and Bracewell also had decent figures. But none of them made an outstanding case for themselves, so Wagner might retain his place, as he's the current holder.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 on Sat 16 May 2015, 7:36 pm

Meanwhile a fresh bit of controversy hit England when Stuart Broad missed the series launch event due to an alleged drunken night out with Matt Prior and Andrew Flintoff.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 on Sun 17 May 2015, 2:10 pm

Ian Chappell with an interesting question.......
http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/876553.html

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 on Sun 17 May 2015, 4:23 pm

That's what confused me, how Strauss has come in and appointed Root as vc. Unless England are looking to bring in a coach with no responsibilities for selection, I don't see who would want to go in under Strauss and try to do a difficult job under someone else's terms.

I think the ECB have, for their part, played this terribly. They fired him and never really explained why, then one incoming manager said he could win his place back only for another to come in and say he's not in their plans as there are trust issues. The whole thing is a mess.

Unless the ECB come out and say "this is what he's done and we can't pick him because of it" then I can't get behind the decision to axe him, and therefore I believe he should be available for selection.

The thing is, we're going to struggle over the next few months due to the lack of a cohesive opening partnership and poor back-up seamer and spinner options. Having KP available wouldn't help that. But were we to lose two home series this summer then the only thing anyone will want to talk about is KP. Even if Ballance, Bell and Root all score heavily.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle on Sun 17 May 2015, 6:29 pm

Interesting finish in the tour game today. A Martin Guptill 150 gave NZ a decent lead, but Worcs now need 19 to win with 2 wickets in hand.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 on Sun 17 May 2015, 6:47 pm

The New Zealanders winning by 15 runs in the end. Offspinner Mark Craig picking up 4 wickets in the course of their win.
Interestingly, Corey Anderson didn't bat in the 2nd innings either, and he didn't bowl either. So they might go in with 6 batsman afterall. Guptill should play after his150, and Rutherford got runs in the first innings. Perhaps they'll both play and either one of them might bat in the middle order. Perhaps Kane Williamson, Ross Taylor and skipper McCullum might drop a place down and have Guptill, Latham and Rutherford in the top order.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos on Mon 18 May 2015, 2:56 pm

The XIs are taking shape for both sides now. For New Zealand it seems a question of whether they go with Corey Anderson at 6 leaving out Guptill/Rutherford, or pick 6 batsmen and likely reshuffle the order. Then it's whether they go with Bracewell or Henry as their 3rd seamer.

1.Rutherford or Guptill
2.Latham
3.Williamson
4.Taylor
5.McCullum (c)
6.Anderson
7.Watling (wk)
8.Craig
9.Bracewell or Henry
10.Southee
11.Boult

For England it seems a shootout between Jordan or Wood for the third seamer role.

1.Cook (c)
2.Lyth
3.Ballance
4.Bell
5.Root
6.Stokes
7.Buttler (wk)
8.Ali
9.Jordan or Wood
10.Broad
11.Anderson

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos on Mon 18 May 2015, 3:14 pm

Sorry for the late respond msp83. I've been away from regular internet a little bit.

I wasn't trying to suggest dropping Buttler. I was more just venting about a pet peeve with people using Warners test success as evidence of why we should take a punt on explosive one day players in the test side regardless of their FC performances.

It's an argument I see banded around a lot and just find it frustrating given that Warner has always been a very good first class cricketer - averaging over 50 in first class cricket as an opener in Australian conditions doesn't happen by accident! Even if his first class experience was limited when he made his test debut, his form in 4 day cricket was strong enough for selection rather than just his explosive one day performances driving a media/fan bandwagon.

For instance if we take a direct comparison of Warner and Buttler, Warner has scored the same number of first class centuries (17) as Buttler has half centuries in 10 fewer first class games.

Buttler and Hales aren't actually that inexperienced in the longer form of the game either, which is a criticism I've seen leveled at their selection before. Hales has 78 FC matches under his belt and Buttler 58, not including his Test appearances. They are just yet to show consistent performance in the longer form of the game for more than a handful of matches at a time.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 on Mon 18 May 2015, 3:19 pm

As Neil Wagner has been the incumbent 3rd seamer for New Zealand. He's a kind of a workhorse. Not sure Henry and Bracewell have done enough to dislodge him, though all the 3 of them are decent options.......

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 on Mon 18 May 2015, 3:28 pm

king_carlos wrote:

Sorry for the late respond msp83. I've been away from regular internet a little bit.

I wasn't trying to suggest dropping Buttler. I was more just venting about a pet peeve with people using Warners test success as evidence of why we should take a punt on explosive one day players in the test side regardless of their FC performances.

It's an argument I see banded around a lot and just find it frustrating given that Warner has always been a very good first class cricketer - averaging over 50 in first class cricket as an opener in Australian conditions doesn't happen by accident! Even if his first class experience was limited when he made his test debut, his form in 4 day cricket was strong enough for selection rather than just his explosive one day performances driving a media/fan bandwagon.

For instance if we take a direct comparison of Warner and Buttler, Warner has scored the same number of first class centuries (17) as Buttler has half centuries in 10 fewer first class games.

Buttler and Hales aren't actually that inexperienced in the longer form of the game either, which is a criticism I've seen leveled at their selection before. Hales has 78 FC matches under his belt and Buttler 58, not including his Test appearances. They are just yet to show consistent performance in the longer form of the game for more than a handful of matches at a time.
King_carlos, of course explosive limited over batting just wouldn't mean automatic test performances, and David Warner, at the time of his test selection, had a pretty decent FC record, all be it from a very limited number of games.
However, when Warner was first picked for his T-20I debut, I think he didn't play even a single FC game. It was in limited over cricket that he first made his name. Then influenced by the likes of Virender Sehwag and managed well by the Australian system, he used that limited over success as a steppingstone to FC cricket and from there on to test cricket. So while your point that Warner had a decent record in FC cricket at the time of his test selection is an entirely valid one, it should also be remembered that he is a player who took to FC cricket through the limited over route.
But again, I agree Buttler or Hales are not that inexperienced in FC cricket. But in Buttler's case, his FC record, while not even very good, isn't bad for a wicketkeeper batsman. And then, his limited over game is improving, and he's doing well at the top level, and he hasn't done bad at all in test cricket in his short career so far. England need to Trust him more, give the guy greater responsibility, and no way should he be wased at 8.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR on Mon 18 May 2015, 3:36 pm

king_carlos wrote:
VTR wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:
Hammersmith harrier wrote:It depends how you rate Buttler I suppose, he's never going to be at the level Prior was at but having him at 8 means he'll never be able to build an innings with the tail, personally don't think he'll ever be more than a good short form player.

While I reckon Buttler will end his career with a better batting average than Prior.

I agree with this. They said the same thing about David Warner (and even, going back a bit, he who can't be named!) being a limited overs player and look at him now. Buttler is a huge talent that needs to be invested in.

The difference is that Warner averages over 50 in first class cricket whereas Buttler averages under 35. The view of Warner being a pinch hitting ODI opener who was given a punt in the test side and came good is one grounded in fans never noticing his first class credentials. To average over 50 as an opener in the first class game whilst playing domestic cricket in a country with as strong pace bowlers as Australia is exceptional regardless of his strike rate.

Now we've backed Buttler we need to stick with him but he's a player learning how to play a FC innings in the test arena. I therefore fear it's going to take time until we consistently see much more than the odd cameo from him against top opposition.

Which is exactly why I wrote that England need to invest in his talent i.e. give him a chance to learn his game in the tough arena that is Test cricket, and accept failures along the way

Warner was just an example, I could just as easily cite Harmison, Flintoff, Vaughan etc as players who were invested in based on talent and came good

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos on Mon 18 May 2015, 3:57 pm

I agree that Buttler shouldn't be at 8 but nor is he a top 6 batsmen. I also agree that he should be allowed to learn his game and the best way to allow that is to give him a position in the order and keep him there. This should be 7 IMO.

msp83 - Your point of players using limited overs success to build confidence for stepping into the first class game is a good one and something which is often dismissed. However players should be making that step into consistent first class performances for their counties not the test side. Hence why I'm currently adverse to Hales playing test cricket until he shows consistent CC performances over the course of a season rather than a handful of games.

VTR - I don't mind picking on talent (if they're good enough they're old enough in my book) however I'd like that talent to be shown with some consistency in first class cricket first. Harmison and Vaughan were picked on talent but had displayed said talent in the CC. Flintoff for many reasons (not least the potential argument that he never consistently came good on his talent) is a bit of a red herring in most debates of this kind!

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 on Mon 18 May 2015, 4:26 pm

Agree on Hales, not sure he's test ready. And his situation is slightly different to that of Buttler, the latter is a wicketkeeper batsman, and the best possible choice at this stage anyways. And unlike the latter, Hales' hasn't been that successful in the admittedly limited number of ODI chances that he has got, the England management made a right royal messing up job with him led by the 'Best Coach of His Generation', but that is a different matter.......

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos on Mon 18 May 2015, 5:29 pm

I agree that Buttler is our best option now but when he was first selected I'd have preferred us to go with Read or Foster. Then again I think I am one of the few remaining advocates of picking a wicket keeper for their glove work first then their batting as a bonus. Occasionally you might have a situation where one option is slightly inferior with the gloves but his batting outweighs it. More often than not the better keeper will add more to a side than the better batsmen in my view.

Now we've backed Buttler he is our best option though. His keeping, whilst not exceptional, is not a real weak link as it was for Prior at first. He's also got a very good temperament. Not the finished article and not selected for the right reasons IMO but has earnt the chance to stay there for now.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 on Tue 19 May 2015, 3:51 pm

This article from cricinfo's Andrew Alderson speculates that it will be Guptill at the top along with Latham, and Matthew Henry the 3rd seamer, and the makeup of the side would retain the all-rounder in the mix, meaning Anderson will play. http://www.espncricinfo.com/england-v-new-zealand-2015/content/story/877413.html
So perhaps,
Guptill
Latham
Williamson
Taylor
McCullum
Anderson
Watling
Craig
Southee
Henry
Boult.