The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Peter Moores to be removed as England Coach when Strauss is appointed

+15
Corporalhumblebucket
KP_fan
CaledonianCraig
hampo17
LondonTiger
Gooseberry
wisden
kingraf
alfie
msp83
guildfordbat
VTR
Good Golly I'm Olly
Stella
GSC
19 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Peter Moores to be removed as England Coach when Strauss is appointed - Page 2 Empty Peter Moores to be removed as England Coach when Strauss is appointed

Post by GSC Fri 08 May 2015, 12:13 pm

First topic message reminder :

Now being reported. Thank god
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Peter Moores to be removed as England Coach when Strauss is appointed - Page 2 Empty Re: Peter Moores to be removed as England Coach when Strauss is appointed

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 12 May 2015, 11:37 am

So they can't trust him to be in the team, yet offered him a role to be an advisor to the one day side

What

Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Peter Moores to be removed as England Coach when Strauss is appointed - Page 2 Empty Re: Peter Moores to be removed as England Coach when Strauss is appointed

Post by GSC Tue 12 May 2015, 11:46 am

Its time to draw a line under it. He isn't coming back
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Tue 12 May 2015, 11:49 am

GSC wrote:Its time to draw a line under it. He isn't coming back

Music to my ears.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue 12 May 2015, 11:50 am

Well the ECB are scoring own goals again. They are using terminology like 'in the short term' etc so they have sort of left the door ajar I would say.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 12 May 2015, 11:52 am

At 34, the long term speaks for itself.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue 12 May 2015, 12:09 pm

GSC wrote:At 34, the long term speaks for itself.

Yes I agree now you say that but it is still a very odd terminology don't you think? And why hold a meeting with him unless there was not something to discuss?
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 12 May 2015, 12:24 pm

im not a huge cricket fan, so forgive me i've i have this wrong. wasnt he told to get back to county cricket & score runs. he's done that & now they've gone back on their word, so more likely he cant trust them, not that they can't trust him? 34 is nothing, look at chanderpaul, jayawardne & kumar etc before they retired, ridiculous.

this trust statement is embarrassing. as soon as england falter vs NZ, let me guess the trust is gained & the big man is thrust back in the team. lets face it the battling line up is nothing special & just waiting to be dismantled by a quickie.

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 12 May 2015, 12:45 pm

I'd have had no problem with that if they hadn't told him to score runs in county cricket then moved the goal posts again.

All they've done now is somehow turned public opinion further against themselves. The ECB is an utter mess
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 12 May 2015, 12:51 pm

Olly wrote:

I'd have had no problem with that if they hadn't told him to score runs in county cricket then moved the goal posts again.

All they've done now is somehow turned public opinion further against themselves. The ECB is an utter mess

Exactly, Olly. And then, as you've already posted, ask the same guy you don't trust to play for you, to act as your one day adviser. picard

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Tue 12 May 2015, 1:07 pm

LiamB wrote:
this trust statement is embarrassing. as soon as england falter vs NZ, let me guess the trust is gained & the big man is thrust back in the team. lets face it the battling line up is nothing special & just waiting to be dismantled by a quickie.

What do you mean just waiting, it just was by those giants of the game Shannon Gabriel and Jason Holder Smile

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by banyun Tue 12 May 2015, 1:48 pm

A few points really. Not a huge fan of KP as a person but never thought he should have been sacked after the ashes. If he'd never played again after the text debacle fine, but after the effort to reintegrate the guy, and without anyone being able to tell us what he did wrong in Australia, it seemed like scapegoating.

Yes this innings wasn't against Johnson and co, but the point is, he has done it against them in the past. Here are the England batsmen's test records vs Australia (min 2 matches).

Cook - Played 25; Hundreds 4; Av 39.71
Bell - Played 28; Hundreds 4; Av 36.83
Root - Played 9; Hundreds 1; Av 33.18
Stokes - Played 4; Hundreds 1; Av 34.87
KP - Played 27; Hundreds 4; Av 44.95
And for reference, Strauss - Played 20; Hundreds 4; Av 39.47

A clear 5 run margin on the next best - and KP played 10 of those 27 tests against the likes of McGrath and Warne (as did Bell. Cook played 5 against them).

Would this innings have put the fear of god into the Australian bowlers? It's a lot more likely to have done so than 39 for 5/123 all out against a decent-at-best WI attack.

As for his age, here are the ages of some cricketers when they played their most recent test match:

Jaques Kallis 38
Kumar Sangakkara 37
Ricky Ponting 37
Sachin Tendulkar 40
Rahul Dravid 39

He's got a couple of years left in him yet.

Really, I agree with others who say that the ECB's PR has been a disgrace. If they'd have dropped him quietly after the Ashes citing form, building for the future etc, there would have been outcry but it would have died down. The public sacking/scapegoating, along with the message that he could (maybe) play if he scored runs in county cricket, coupled with the shocking results and performances of the England team, especially in limited overs cricket, has just kept the saga rolling on and on.

355 not out. Didn't he score Surrey's last 200 runs virtually single handedly? And this is when the ECB decide to make this story news again? After the shoddy handling of the Moores sacking no less. I never want for the England cricket team to do poorly, but I hope the ECB burns.

banyun

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 12 May 2015, 2:03 pm

Some good points there , banyun.  Though I rather doubt there was any "quiet" way to drop Pietersen. Whichever way it happened , there would (will) be an ongoing saga until the day he retires...
As I said on the other thread , this "not in immediate plans" would have been much better in the first place.  Too late now - that PR disaster will haunt the ECB for a while. And perhaps that approach may have influenced KP to show a little contrition instead of writing that wretched book ? Better all round...ah well it's all history now.

I thought this thread was supposed to be about Peter Moores Smile

KP got me again...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by banyun Tue 12 May 2015, 2:11 pm

To be fair alfie, I did briefly mention Moores in my post. Rolling Eyes  

I agree it wouldn't have been a quiet dropping, but they seemed to contrive a way to find the worst possible way to do it. Same with the Moores dismissal. I never agreed with him being appointed, but they handled his sacking disgracefully. Just the latest in a long line of farcical PR.

I've just noticed that that rant was my first post. Been lurking so long I was sure I'd posted before. I'm usually much more laid back honestly. The ECB just winds me up.

banyun

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 12 May 2015, 2:30 pm

Well anyway banyan , welcome aboard ! Look forward to reading more from you.

Agree they need a new PR advisor Smile

At least Strauss hasn't dressed it up ...one can agree or not , but he's made his position clear ; hopefully he will continue to say what he means. (I'm assuming the Moores leak wasn't his doing)

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 12 May 2015, 2:47 pm

Strauss is probably the right to cite a "trust issue". From a PR perspective, sounds a lot better Strauss saying it than, say, Downton. Textgate and all
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 12 May 2015, 2:52 pm

Mind, I forgot about his autobiography. Seems anyone of about thirty people could have cited a lack of trust, thinking about it.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Tue 12 May 2015, 3:19 pm

Strauss proving himself to be a worthless clown.
Sad for the game.......
Hope mediocre England would get thrashed by New Zealand and Australia.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Tue 12 May 2015, 4:06 pm

Alastair Cook is given the entire summer on a platter as captain of the test side, and Eoin Morgan who is unselectable on form as batsman, is retained as ODI captain!. Strauss indeed the man to bring about change!. What a joke!!!
Its all within the cosy club of the boys, and that's all they are interested in, and that's why there is no place for Pietersen.......

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Tue 12 May 2015, 6:15 pm

I couldn't be more annoyed with the ECB now. 

Shambles.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by wisden Fri 22 May 2015, 11:11 am

reports saying that Gillespie could be unveiled as the new coach as soon as tuesday..

wisden

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 22 May 2015, 11:30 am

wisden wrote:reports saying that Gillespie could be unveiled as the new coach as soon as tuesday..

Hopefully he will have been told before we are.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 23 May 2015, 1:46 pm

BBC reporting Gillespie "would take the England job if offered "

Which is a bit of a turn around from "would take persuading" . But I see no direct quotes so not sure if this is gospel ?

If he really has been won around by a chat with Strauss , I imagine he will get the job. Still not sure how I feel about an Australian Head Coach taking England into an Ashes Series ... By all accounts he's a good prospect , and may well be just what England need. But I'd somehow rather he was at least going to start against someone other than Australia...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2