v2wrestling podcast - Im too sexy for this show, too sexy by far

Go down

v2wrestling podcast - Im too sexy for this show, too sexy by far

Post by Adam D on Wed 20 May 2015, 9:11 am

http://v2wrestling.com/5/post/2015/05/v2wrestling-podcast-im-too-sexy-for-this-show-too-sexy-by-far.html

Welcome back to another edition of the v2 Wrestling podcast and welcome to all of our listeners on TNAsylum.com and the 606v2.com forum.

Next week, I will be interviewing Bobby Roode, so if you have a question you would like asked, please get in touch!

Please note that we are currently looking for contributors to write for v2Wrestling, so if you want to see your article read by a large audience, make sure to get in touch.

This week Adam is joined by Rich, Paul, Ethan and new team member Lexi Helms, to talk about the latest news from TNA and WWE.

We kick off the proceedings with a look back at this weeks wrestling news which includes a look at GFWs roster, Impact Ratings and The British Bulldog.

The show then moves on to a quick roundup of last weeks TNA action with a particular focus on the main events closing image of Eric Young choking out Kurt with a prosphetic leg. We also have a lengthy discussion over Mr Anderson – is he a valuable asset to TNA anymore? The team are split on him but don’t forget we would like to know what you think of him!

We then move on RAW and look at the main talking points from the show. The main debate centres around Dolph Ziggler and where he stands in the company right now. Our question of the week is whether TNA should try and steal Ziggler and make him their top star. Would he go? Is he good enough to lead a promotion? Let us know!

Our final part of the show centres around the recent change in Taryn Tyrells character and the move back towards using scantily clad women on  a mainstream wrestling show. Does it have a place in wrestling in 2015?

To ask a question or answer any of the above, please email us at wrestling@v2journal.com or contact us through twitter or facebook and please make sure to submit any questions you would like us to discuss!

To listen to the show scroll below or download from iTunes here (click)

If you have problem listening to the show on the v2Journal, you can listen directly to the show onhttp://v2wrestling.podomatic.com/entry/2015-05-19T13_37_32-07_00

Interview with EC3
Interview with Spud
Interview with Jeff Jarrett
Interview with Nigel McGuinness
Interview with Gail Kim
Interview with Bram
Interview with Doug Williams
Interview with Rob Terry
Interview with Chris Daniels 
Hulk Hogan retrospective
Interview with TJ Perkins/ Manik
Interview with MVP
Interview with Snitsky
Interview with Austin Aries
Interview with Lex Luger
The latest v2 Wrestling Podcast

http://v2wrestling.com/5/post/2015/05/v2wrestling-podcast-im-too-sexy-for-this-show-too-sexy-by-far.html

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Re: v2wrestling podcast - Im too sexy for this show, too sexy by far

Post by Prometheus on Wed 20 May 2015, 2:59 pm

It's a bit of a Wu Tang Clan of a number of contributors episode.

Maybe this is harsh, but I think Paul summed this episode up. Women's wrestling, who cares? I can't imagine that many people are choosing which wrestling show they watch based on the women's wrestling. Not sure why Rich gets knocked down for bringing NXT into the debate about women's wrestling. I don't see how you can have a discussion about women's wrestling and not talk about NXT. And I agree with Ethan regarding Sasha Banks, but he's harsh on Charlotte who I agree can develop her in-ring and mic skills, but is so naturally athletically gifted that she's a lot to offer..

I've still not caught the Impact show this week, but from what I've heard it sounds like Billy Corgan decided that women in their undies is a good way to get viewers, along with the "N" word and use of "b!tch" it just comes over as desperate attempts to be controversial and covet any news. Isn't Gail Kim's husband also some type of celebrity chef, so it does sound like TNA are just throwing everything at trying to get mainstream interest and new viewers. We'll see if they are successful. If we take the rumours of DA being unhappy, then you'd have to say the question is put up of what can we do quickly to try to pop TV ratings, and I think that's a really hard question to answer, I'd probably be doing the same stuff.

The choking out with the prosthetic leg, just sounds so obvious to me. If you've seen Roddy Piper and Zack Gowen, then you'd be more surprised in wrestling if someone came to the ring with a false leg and it wasn't used as a weapon. As such, I don't think it creates heat for a heel, I just find it meh.

Ziggler is a really, really good wrestler who just over sells everything, his ladder match with Harper for example shows that he's still an asset for WWE on PPVs. He's a really solid worker, but I don't see him as a major draw, he'd be a wonderful asset as the main babyface in TNA but there are probably only 3 wrestlers (Brock, Cena and Daniel Bryan) who'd move the ratings significantly just by being there. I can't see why he'd go, mid-carder on a show watched by 3.5M or headlining a show watched by 0.5M, I'd stay as a mid-sized fish in a big pond if I were him.
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero on Wed 20 May 2015, 3:30 pm

I didn’t quite get the knock down for bringing up NXT in a discussion about the correct use of the fairer sex within wrestling as that’s a show that despite having a much shorter airtime each week has managed to not only showcase a decent quality match between 2 females each and every week, but provides them with individual personas, mic time, none of it is done as an afterthought to the male division and they are not seen as sexual objects being fawned over by the male roster. The only example of a female being the centre of attention is Carmila, who showed last week that she was empowered and left the tag champions lost for words as she trash talked them.
TNA itself over the years has had a wonderful female roster, one that they too have dared at times to dedicate main events and even PPVs to, yet by looking to the Attitude Era as inspiration I worry that it’ll soon pander to teenage boys wanting to see centrefolds wrestle in mud as the 5 minute slot for females.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus on Wed 20 May 2015, 3:42 pm

I can't remember which one of the team the comment came from (maybe it was you Hero) but one of the most solid contributions of the podcast was 'with the exception of Carmella, none of the NXT women are defined by a relationship with a man'. And, as noted, even Carmella stood up on her own against the tag champs and took them to task.

So, whether we like the characters of Becky, Sasha, Charlotte, Bayley, Blue Pants, etc. they are individual female characters that are given the opportunity to grow independently and on the same footing as the men in NXT.

I also think there is a solid argument that the only developmental talent that NXT looks like bringing through on the male roster is Tyler Breeze. I guess that Enzo and Cass could also come up because they work the crowd so well, but in-ring they still have a way to go. All the other male talent has been brought in and NXT has only done minor tweaks (e.g. a bit of weight loss for Owens), but the women NXT can pretty much claim to have developed on their own, as even Becky Lynch was out for so long that you can say she started her career again.

I was really hoping that they'd have entered WWE as a 4 Horsewomen angle. And I can see why not do this, e.g. Charlotte isn't good enough as the talker, the WWE division is too weak without a new group running through them, and if they left NXT together there's a big hole there. But the give women a chance was really getting some momentum and I think that would have been a cool way to bring them in as a Shield-like faction....
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero on Wed 20 May 2015, 3:49 pm

I like that the lines between NXT and RAW are starting to blur a little, people can come onto RAW for a showcase of their talents to mirror what's been done for a while of established stars making appearances and feuds on NXT, this could be done with the female stars to ensure NXT isn't decimated by a stable move over, have a NXT v RAW diva feud in which both sides 'invade' the others shows for a while.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus on Wed 20 May 2015, 4:00 pm

I think this works really well of trying this talent on Raw.  We know that Raw has about 4M viewers, and the Network has 1.3M subscribers.  So, its realistic to assume that for most Raw viewers the likes of Zayn and Owens are still unknown entities, while there are enough fans at a live taping who know these guys that they get a pop.

My only issue is that they have to handle these appearances correctly.  So, I've no real problem with Zayn giving the match of his life against Cena and just coming up short.  That gets him over maybe even better than winning actually would.  But I'll never understand why Charlotte came up as NXT women's champ and got beaten quickly just a couple of days before defending her title.  Because you have to assume that if only 25% of Raw viewers are watching NXT then 90% of NXT viewers at least look at the results from Raw, even if they don't watch the program.

The only flaw I could see with your plan is logistics.  This need for NXT to be a touring brand really imposes its own constraints, so you've got to find a window where NXT talent can travel to and appear on Raw, and that is going to be getting harder and harder the more they are on the road.
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero on Wed 20 May 2015, 4:03 pm

I can't remember which one of the team the comment came from (maybe it was you Hero) but one of the most solid contributions of the podcast was 'with the exception of Carmella, none of the NXT women are defined by a relationship with a man'.

And yeah, that was me Wink

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler on Wed 20 May 2015, 4:05 pm

Hero wrote:I like that the lines between NXT and RAW are starting to blur a little, people can come onto RAW for a showcase of their talents to mirror what's been done for a while of established stars making appearances and feuds on NXT, this could be done with the female stars to ensure NXT isn't decimated by a stable move over, have a NXT v RAW diva feud in which both sides 'invade' the others shows for a while.

First time i've ever heard you have a good idea.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero on Thu 21 May 2015, 7:03 am

And last night's NXT showed once more how to book female matches that the crowd invest in without the need to sexualise it.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum