The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Culture Cup rd 3 (Books)

+21
Adam D
Rowley
Roller_Coaster
Trebs
Silver
The Womble
dancingweeman
seanmichaels
rIck_dAgless
ChequeredJersey
The Boss
superflyweight
Hammersmith harrier
Galted
jbeadlesbigrighthand
Dolphin Ziggler
JuliusHMarx
kingraf
Azzy
ShahenshahG
Mind the windows Tino.
25 posters

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

What is the best piece of fiction written by a European?

Culture Cup rd 3 (Books) - Page 6 Vote_lcap9%Culture Cup rd 3 (Books) - Page 6 Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 4 ]
Culture Cup rd 3 (Books) - Page 6 Vote_lcap0%Culture Cup rd 3 (Books) - Page 6 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Culture Cup rd 3 (Books) - Page 6 Vote_lcap2%Culture Cup rd 3 (Books) - Page 6 Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 1 ]
Culture Cup rd 3 (Books) - Page 6 Vote_lcap2%Culture Cup rd 3 (Books) - Page 6 Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 1 ]
Culture Cup rd 3 (Books) - Page 6 Vote_lcap11%Culture Cup rd 3 (Books) - Page 6 Vote_rcap 11% 
[ 5 ]
[ 1 ]
Culture Cup rd 3 (Books) - Page 6 Vote_lcap5%Culture Cup rd 3 (Books) - Page 6 Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 2 ]
Culture Cup rd 3 (Books) - Page 6 Vote_lcap7%Culture Cup rd 3 (Books) - Page 6 Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 3 ]
[ 1 ]
Culture Cup rd 3 (Books) - Page 6 Vote_lcap7%Culture Cup rd 3 (Books) - Page 6 Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 3 ]
Culture Cup rd 3 (Books) - Page 6 Vote_lcap0%Culture Cup rd 3 (Books) - Page 6 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 1 ]
Culture Cup rd 3 (Books) - Page 6 Vote_lcap5%Culture Cup rd 3 (Books) - Page 6 Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 2 ]
[ 2 ]
[ 1 ]
[ 1 ]
[ 3 ]
[ 1 ]
[ 3 ]
[ 2 ]
Culture Cup rd 3 (Books) - Page 6 Vote_lcap9%Culture Cup rd 3 (Books) - Page 6 Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 4 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 3 ]

Total Votes : 44

Culture Cup rd 3 (Books) - Page 6 Empty Culture Cup rd 3 (Books)

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 20 May 2015, 4:01 pm

First topic message reminder :

Round 2 of the Culture Cup 2.0 finally comes to an end, and what a controversial round it turned out to be.  There were accusations of vote rigging (by me, about Adam.  I still think he has cheated), arguments, swearing and threats of physical violence.  But, that’s what great art does.  It inspires opinions, it creates extremes of emotion, it forces people to look into their souls.  Round 2 was great art.  Great art happening in front of our eyes, people.  There were one or two questions about the validity of some picks and, as usual, some invective spewed my way.  But I can handle it.  That’s what great leaders do, provide inspiration in the face of adversity.  It’s water of a ducks back to me.  Or jizz off Sean’s chin if you need a better metaphor.

So who were the movers and shakers in round 2?  Well, the biggest winners were Hero and Harrier who both scored 10 points with Madge and Dusty.  I voted for Madge so I can’t say I’m too disappointed with those choices.  Son Of A Preacher Man is a great song as well so no complaints from me.  Hero and Hammer are at the top of the table with Paul, Treb “Tik Tok” Trebs and 'fathead' Adam breathing down their necks.  That f*cking lunatic Ziggler somehow managed to lobby enough people to vote for his choon and finds himself in second place for round 2 with 8 points.  Adam with Hit Me Baby One More Time somehow claims the last podium position in round 2 with a truly awful song. I’d like to hit all the people that voted for it one more time with a massive claw hammer.  Although that would just involve hitting Adam over his stupid, fat head numerous times as he clearly cheated and rigged the votes.  Jeff and superfly continue their titanic “who is the least sh*t out of two sh*t posters” battle with Jeff’s solitary vote this round enabling him to snuggle up to his great rival on 2 points each in the table.

A few posters continue to languish with no points, with Sean “I lie more than Jay from the Inbetweeners” Michaels, Galted “Massively Gay Way” Mears and Julius “I’m old so I moan.  Deal with it” Marx all yet to break their 2.0 virginity.  Stella has become a bit of an enigma.  He joined late, and now won’t answer my PM’s.  This has forced me to choose for him in round 3.  Hopefully my choice will lift him from the foot of the table.

So the updated table looks like this:

1) Hero 16 pts
2) Harrier 14 pts
3) Paul 12 pts
4) Trebs 10 pts
5) Adam 10 pts
6) Ziggler 9 pts
7) SerialDAVE 7 pts
8) C&R 6 pts
9) Azzy 6 pts
10) weeman 5 pts
11) Nakatomi 4 pts
12) Beadle 4 pts
13) Union Cane 3 pts
14) Shah-abu bakr 3 pts
15) The Boss 3 pts
16) superfly 2 pts
17) Jeff 2 pts
18) Grumpy G*lfer 2 pts
19) Dagless 1 pt
20) Michaels 0 pts
21) Jules 0 pts
22) Ray Mears 0 pts
23) Stella 0 pts

Round 3 takes us to books and question was this:  WHAT IS THE BEST PIECE OF FICTION WRITTEN BY A EUROPEAN?

Please remember, THIS IS OPEN FOR ANYONE ON 606v2 TO VOTE

Thanks.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Culture Cup rd 3 (Books) - Page 6 Empty Re: Culture Cup rd 3 (Books)

Post by Guest Tue 26 May 2015, 3:47 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:Correction there Rowley, I was discussing the merits of Metal bands, Dave however was discussing bands guilty of crimes against all musicality.
Sadly you then cited the criminally bland DEATH ANGEL as means of furthering your argument which fell as flat as DEATH ANGEL did when I saw them back in Bradford in 1990 or thereabouts supported by the equally meh FORBIDDEN and VICIOUS RUMOURS. I bought Act III when it came out and can honestly say it is nice and clean and lovely and polished......and as bland as hell. They fall into the same category as MEGADETH and TESTAMENT I'm afraid, the total being less that the sum of their respective parts

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 26 May 2015, 3:59 pm

Megadeth are a personal favourite of mine, well the first four albums anyway, after that Mustaine showed a lack of variation in his song writing, regurgitating the same tired riffs in a personal protest at what he deemed to be Metallica selling out. It is of course true that they 'sold out' and went mainstream but in doing so showed a diverse musical ability that Megadeth or more notably Mustaine were incapable rather than unwilling to do.

I do enjoy the clean cut approach on Act III and would not call it a bland album in the slightest, each song has it's own identity instead of blurring into one which Sepultura have on occassion been guilty of. The problem I have with Sepultura and it was on a more professional level was that they didn't fit or belong to a 'scene' per se so I didn't invest much time into listening to them and the abomination that was Soulfly ruins Cavalera for me.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by jbeadlesbigrighthand Tue 26 May 2015, 4:10 pm

Any chance we're going to be having a round on METAL bands at some point? I feel I've learned a lot about them from the last couple of pages of posts.

As an added incentive, a round on the greatest METAL song of all time and the subsequent inevitable victory of a BON JOVI song would probably make Dave's head explode.

jbeadlesbigrighthand

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 26 May 2015, 4:16 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:Megadeth are a personal favourite of mine, well the first four albums anyway, after that Mustaine showed a lack of variation in his song writing, regurgitating the same tired riffs in a personal protest at what he deemed to be Metallica selling out. It is of course true that they 'sold out' and went mainstream but in doing so showed a diverse musical ability that Megadeth or more notably Mustaine were incapable rather than unwilling to do.

I do enjoy the clean cut approach on Act III and would not call it a bland album in the slightest, each song has it's own identity instead of blurring into one which Sepultura have on occassion been guilty of. The problem I have with Sepultura and it was on a more professional level was that they didn't fit or belong to a 'scene' per se so I didn't invest much time into listening to them and the abomination that was Soulfly ruins Cavalera for me.
Peace Sells and So Far...were in heavy rotation when I was at school/just leaving sixth form and they were always the band that weren't as good as METALLICA. Of course SLAYER p!ss all over the pair of them (Clash of the Titans was a fine example of this...MEGAWHO?????). Outside of a few tracks on each of those two albums I can't say I care for them too much. There's plenty of fair to middling thrash albums from the late 80's/early 90's and one of my favourites is OVERKILL's Years of Decay. Strange in that everything else they've done has left me cold but I do like that album.

Sepultura's lack of niche/scene identity is much like what did for MACHINE HEAD apart from the excellent Burn My Eyes.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 26 May 2015, 4:17 pm

jbeadlesbigrighthand wrote:Any chance we're going to be having a round on METAL bands at some point? I feel I've learned a lot about them from the last couple of pages of posts.

As an added incentive, a round on the greatest METAL song of all time and the subsequent inevitable victory of a BON JOVI song would probably make Dave's head explode.
Failing that, anything by Def Leppard or Nirvana is likely to have me puking blood.

Back to top Go down

Post by jbeadlesbigrighthand Tue 26 May 2015, 4:26 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
jbeadlesbigrighthand wrote:Any chance we're going to be having a round on METAL bands at some point? I feel I've learned a lot about them from the last couple of pages of posts.

Failing that, anything by Def Leppard or Nirvana is likely to have me puking blood.

So that would be when love and hate collide then?

jbeadlesbigrighthand

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 26 May 2015, 4:29 pm

Really difficult to pick between Slippery When Wet era BON JOVI and Hysteria era DEF LEPPARD for the greatest METAL album/songs ever.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 26 May 2015, 4:32 pm

Slayer are THE and of the big four only true thrash metal band; Kill em All was thrash but every subsequent album has been plain old Heavy Metal, the same with Megadeth after Killing is my Business. Back in the day I interviewed Mustaine and if you ever thought he was a pr!ck be safe in the knowledge of knowing that that assumption would be correct and then some. The Joke's on You by Excel is one of the better late 80's efforts, contains a song of fair notoriety which helps but aside from that it's a cool album, might be a bit too Death Angel like for you though Dave.

Machine Head tried tapping into the Pantera groove thing but they were and always will be a one off so didn't come off at all well, they're not a terrible band at all but they were lacking a USP. Should have carried on with the more industrial feel on More things Change, I tend to get shot down in flames when I call them an industrial metal band but in their early days all the ingredients were there.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Azzy Tue 26 May 2015, 4:36 pm

Rowley wrote:
Azzy wrote:I skipped reading this thread some time ago and have just finished reading War and Peace 2.

Tolstoy did a sequel?
He wrote and published it while waiting for the next round of the World's Longest Quiz (TM).

Azzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Tue 26 May 2015, 4:40 pm

Rowley wrote:

Really difficult to pick between Slippery When Wet era BON JOVI and Hysteria era DEF LEPPARD for the greatest METAL album/songs ever.

Here I Go Again by Whitesnake.
Just give me the 10 points now.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue 26 May 2015, 5:24 pm

REM often mention animals in their songs.

These are just some of the animals mentioned:
elephant
hyena
swan
sidewinder
coyote
hummingbird

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue 26 May 2015, 5:25 pm

wolves

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue 26 May 2015, 5:27 pm

heron
monkey

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue 26 May 2015, 5:30 pm

wolverine
fly
parakeet
horse

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue 26 May 2015, 5:35 pm

alligator

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue 26 May 2015, 5:37 pm

"animals" in general are mentioned, as are "birds"

Last edited by Galted on Tue 26 May 2015, 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot to add the inverted commas)

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Tue 26 May 2015, 9:24 pm

Anybody want to discuss the relative merits of FORCE & STYLES and THE WAX DOCTOR?

Thought not.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 26 May 2015, 9:29 pm

Animals feature remarkably infrequently in the work of Miles Davis Galted. As an instrumental artist he is somewhat hamstrung by the nature of his artform, being restricted almost exclusively to song titles, but off the top of my head I can only think of Buzzard, Crab and Dolphin. If there is a round in this competition for which artist references animals most in their work I will almost certainly avoid Mr Davis.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 26 May 2015, 9:53 pm

Kind of Bluefin

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Tue 26 May 2015, 10:47 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:Kind of Bluefin
That is a great tuna.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Tue 26 May 2015, 10:48 pm

PS No f§cking votes.

Palestines.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Tue 26 May 2015, 10:51 pm

Is this round over anytime soon?

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Wed 27 May 2015, 7:44 am

Cat
lizard

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 27 May 2015, 8:53 am

My cat delivers a variety of dismembered birds and mice to my doorstep every morning. I hate my cat but love that it rips other creatures to f*ck and still seeks my approval (which I am loath to give). It picked a fight with a dog through our fence the other day...basically the equivalent of two small angry blokes in the pub swearing loudly at each other whilst their other halves trying to drag them away screaming "Leave it, it's not worth it!!!"

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Wed 27 May 2015, 9:41 am

Galted wrote:REM often mention animals in their songs.

elephant
hyena
swan
sidewinder
coyote
hummingbird

Did they ever cover the Chas and Dave classic, 'Rabbit'?
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Wed 27 May 2015, 9:56 am

The Womble wrote:

elephant
hyena
swan
sidewinder
coyote
hummingbird

Not that I'm aware of, Womble. Has to go down as an opportunity missed by REM.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 27 May 2015, 9:58 am

Galted wrote:
The Womble wrote:

elephant
hyena
swan
sidewinder
coyote
hummingbird

Chas and Dave for Eurovision next year.

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Wed 27 May 2015, 10:00 am

DAVE667 wrote:My cat delivers a variety of dismembered birds and mice to my doorstep every morning. I hate my cat but love that it rips other creatures to f*ck and still seeks my approval (which I am loath to give). It picked a fight with a dog through our fence the other day...basically the equivalent of two small angry blokes in the pub swearing loudly at each other whilst their other halves trying to drag them away screaming "Leave it, it's not worth it!!!"

Bless. I can imagine serialDAVE's little cat in its SLAYER collar, studs welded into its forehead. Sneaking about at night killing other cats and burying the corpses apart from the piece it keeps as a trophy. It's so cute when animals become just like their owners.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Wed 27 May 2015, 10:03 am

Galted wrote:
The Womble wrote:

elephant
hyena
swan
sidewinder
coyote
hummingbird

A huge opportunity missed. Stipe must be kicking himself.
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Wed 27 May 2015, 10:03 am

DAVE667 wrote:
Galted wrote:
The Womble wrote:

elephant
hyena
swan
sidewinder
coyote
hummingbird

Chas and Dave for Eurovision next year.

Brilliant idea Dave. We'd walk it, easily.
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Wed 27 May 2015, 10:17 am

Snakes
deer
bull
hog
lamb
bear
pony

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 27 May 2015, 10:20 am

REMINDER FOR THE NEXT ROUND.

We are back to films for the second and final time, and the question is this this:

WHAT IS THE GREATEST FILM TO HAVE INCLUDED THE ACADEMY AWARD WINNERS FOR EITHER BEST ACTOR OR ACTRESS?

Answers either on a postcard or via PM to me please. Can you send a few choices as there is bound to be cross overs. I'm shaking things up a little by not posting the list of who gets first picks till everyone has selected their choices.

Thanks.

These cretins still need to send me their nominations:

Harrier
Paul
Treb "Tik Tok" Trebs
Ziggler
weeman
GrumpyG*lfer
Stella

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Wed 27 May 2015, 10:23 am

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:REMINDER FOR THE NEXT ROUND.

We are back to films for the second and final time, and the question is this this:

WHAT IS THE GREATEST FILM TO HAVE INCLUDED THE ACADEMY AWARD WINNERS FOR EITHER BEST ACTOR OR ACTRESS?

Answers either on a postcard or via PM to me please.  Can you send a few choices as there is bound to be cross overs.  I'm shaking things up a little by not posting the list of who gets first picks till everyone has selected their choices.

Thanks.

These cretins still need to send me their nominations:

Harrier
Paul
Treb "Tik Tok" Trebs
Ziggler
weeman
GrumpyG*lfer
Stella

Has Stella gone AWOL? You couldn't find him for the last round either
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 27 May 2015, 10:26 am

The Womble wrote:

He did PM me after the poll went up so he is around somewhere.

His PM was pretty non-committal other than calling Adam a Moulin Rouge watching nonce.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Wed 27 May 2015, 10:44 am

I think we'd all commit to that.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 27 May 2015, 10:48 am

Hero wrote:I think we'd all commit to that.

FACT.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by jbeadlesbigrighthand Wed 27 May 2015, 11:02 am

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
The Womble wrote:

He did PM me after the poll went up so he is around somewhere.

His PM was pretty non-committal other than calling Adam a Moulin Rouge watching nonce.

Do nonces watch Moulin Rouge? You should probably keep an eye on that for the film rounds. You could put it in as a ringer, then provide Operation Yewtree with a list of the names of whoever votes for it.

jbeadlesbigrighthand

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Wed 27 May 2015, 11:08 am

Think you need to add a penalty of of -2 points for anything not submitted within a certain time. Else you'll be stuck on this for weeks Tino.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 27 May 2015, 11:11 am

ShahenshahG wrote:Think you need to add a penalty of of -2 points for anything not submitted within a certain time.  Else you'll be stuck on this for weeks Tino.

I'm going to PM them later. If they don't reply overnight, I'll just choose for them.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Wed 27 May 2015, 11:17 am

Screw you guys, Moulin rouge is awesome.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 27 May 2015, 11:22 am

Adam D wrote:Screw you guys, Moulin rouge is awesome.

Nonce. FACT.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Wed 27 May 2015, 11:23 am

Adam D wrote:Screw you guys, Moulin rouge is awesome.

I'd have thought Mac rouge was more to your taste

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 27 May 2015, 11:39 am

Can I just confirm...we're talking about the Baz Luhrmann version not the 1952 John Huston film with Jose Ferrer and Zsa Zsa Gabor?

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Wed 27 May 2015, 12:07 pm

Dragonfly
seahorse
bluejay
butterfly
koi
goldfish
firefly
octopus
blackbird
starfish

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Wed 27 May 2015, 12:14 pm

Galted wrote:Dragonfly
seahorse
bluejay
butterfly
koi
goldfish
firefly
octopus
blackbird
starfish

REM didn't sing about a Koi did they?
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 27 May 2015, 12:18 pm

DAVE667 wrote:Can I just confirm...we're talking about the Baz Luhrmann version not the 1952 John Huston film with Jose Ferrer and Zsa Zsa Gabor?

Yeah, the one nonces watch.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Wed 27 May 2015, 12:35 pm

The Womble wrote:
seahorse
bluejay
butterfly
koi
goldfish
firefly
octopus
blackbird
starfish

They're, apparently, mentioned in Imitation Of Life along with goldfish. The song wasn't about them, I think REM just like to mention as many things as they can in their songs, especially animals.

A good name for a koi would be "Roy". Or "Joy".
Chris Hoy would be a good koi, ditto Del Boy. And Claire Foy.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 27 May 2015, 12:37 pm

Galted wrote:
The Womble wrote:
seahorse
bluejay
butterfly
koi
goldfish
firefly
octopus
blackbird
starfish

They're, apparently, mentioned in Imitation Of Life along with goldfish. The song wasn't about them, I think REM just like to mention as many things as they can in their songs, especially animals.

A good name for a koi would be "Roy".  Or "Joy".

Kenny Noye?

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Wed 27 May 2015, 12:43 pm

Yes. Him.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Wed 27 May 2015, 12:46 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
Galted wrote:
The Womble wrote:
seahorse
bluejay
butterfly
koi
goldfish
firefly
octopus
blackbird
starfish

A good name for a koi would be "Roy".  Or "Joy".

Kenny Noye?

AP my Koi

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next