WWE need more than 1 credible champion...

Go down

WWE need more than 1 credible champion...

Post by Prometheus on Tue May 26, 2015 4:42 pm

... and he's not even wrestling at the moment.

In 2014 WWE created one of their most dominant and credible title-holders of all time. Brock Lesnar took Undertaker's streak from him at Wrestlemania, and then at Summerslam destroyed John Cena to become champion.

In 2015, Rollins had his most impressive WWE main event as the third man in a triple threat match at the Rumble, he then cashed in his MitB briefcase during the Lesnar / Reigns Mania main event and took the title.

Since then Rollins has been booked as the weak champion who needs outside interference to retain. I've previously had a whinge about how a weak champion makes the product look weak. So, I'll go outside that to who are the credible threats to his title?

Obviously we have Lesnar, but he's not returning soon and when he does, will still be working limited appearances. Looking outside of Lesnar, I don't see them. As Elimination Chamber stands, Ambrose will be fighting Rollins for the title. Ambrose is a favourite of the IWC, but as a credible threat and WWE champion, I don't see it. A man who went many PPVs without a win, who is most often portrayed as a bit of a cartoon character, who doesn't seem to have any clear path of how he even got to the main event. It's hard for me to accept him as a champion. I'd be happier for Reigns to win, but I'd not agree that he has been sufficiently rehabilitated and built up since it all came off the rails for him at the Rumble for me to see him as the WWE's champion.

And that is it then. Isn't it? Cena might be the next on the list. But that is going backwards, rather than forwards. King Barrett, Sheamus, Ziggler? They all feel very mid-card at the moment, its not that they can't get there and someone in the Elimination Chamber will have the IC title they can use to make that step up, but for me to buy into them as the new World Champ, that would take a little time. And let's try to stay away from Kane and Big Show.

I feel like there should be 4 or 5 wrestlers circling that top spot, any of whom I could see walking out the winner in the right match. Am I seeing this wrong? Am I under-valuing what WWE has now at the main event level? Is this a chance for Owens to come in, burn through Cena and go straight after Rollins?
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Re: WWE need more than 1 credible champion...

Post by Samo on Tue May 26, 2015 4:52 pm

Thats one of WWE's biggest problems right now. Wins/Loses are so irrelevant because they get traded so much around the mid card. If everyone in the mid card are trading wins then no one really stands out, and no one can climb the ladder to the Upper Card. They are also afraid of taking a new comer and pushing them straight up, because of Lesnar. They dont want to give someone a monster push and break records just for them to get bored and leave after a couple of years. It almost happened again with Bobby Lashley, but he didnt get the push Lesnar did.

I dont mind weak, heel champions. Seeing them get beat becomes a draw, and people will pay money to see them get their comeuppance, so I disagree that it makes the product weak. I will agree that Seth needs a big win by himself to justify his position. Two of the biggest heel champions in the past 12 years in Edge and JBL both used outside interference or flaunted to rules to retain, but they both still got a couple of big wins to help them out a bit.

I think Lesnar will be champion going into next years Mania again, but I dont see them giving it to him for him to disappear for 6 months again, so he might win it back at the Rumble, but I also dont see Seth holding the title for that long either. So its like you said, unless the Shield play Hot Potato with the title until then, theres no one else that can realistically step into that spot without being built up and pushed to the moon between now and Summerslam.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus on Tue May 26, 2015 4:58 pm

Thanks for the feedback Samo.

I don't want to dwell on Rollins as I think its a discussion that has already been had and I want to look around him. But honestly, if we were in a PPV era, would you be paying money to watch Rollins lose? I don't think he's that type of slimey heel champ where you are begging to see him get his comeuppance. I just think he's booked to look weak, so when he does lose I don't think viewers will even be so surprised nor, more importantly, will beating him give the next champ the type of rub you should get for winning.
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo on Tue May 26, 2015 5:02 pm

I think its more because its a different era than anything else. People are a hell of a lot more smart about the product now than they were 15 years ago, so alot of people dont focus on the 'whos' but more on the 'whys'. People arent really focused on the characters anymore but on the booking of them.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler on Tue May 26, 2015 5:32 pm

I think Rollins is playing his role perfectly. I would quite like him to defend his title against Kane on Raw. Get that over and done with, give some edge to Raw even though we all know who wins, and keep J&J out of it. Then at least hes got a win of his own.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum