The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Joshua vs Johnson - Is this fight more competitive than we think?

+22
John Bloody Wayne
hampo17
DuransHorse
RanjitPatel
rodders
Coxy001
milkyboy
Rowley
ShockmasterV2
Dipper Brown
TRUSSMAN66
Mayweathers cellmate
AdamT
superflyweight
TopHat24/7
88Chris05
Soldier_Of_Fortune
Strongback
jimdig
mobilemaster8
catchweight
BoxingFan88
26 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Joshua vs Johnson - Is this fight more competitive than we think? Empty Joshua vs Johnson - Is this fight more competitive than we think?

Post by BoxingFan88 Wed 27 May 2015, 11:15 pm

I've just heard an interview with Kevin Johnson that has made me think twice about what might happen on Saturday night

In the interview he says he has a new trainer (No idea who, based out of Manchester, Peter Fury?????) and he also says that this new trainer has stuck a rocket up his backside and told him he is wasting his talent and needs to wake up.

I've watched Johnson a few times and he has some seriously under rated skills, he just hasn't been their mentally. This is probably all hype and another fighter talking big to lull you into a false sense of security. BUT if Johnson is on his game and is there mentally, then he could really be a banana skin.

If Johnson is there mentally and utilises what he has for once, this could be a very tough night

Or am I just going crazy??

Link to the interview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMVESr1d2Q4

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Joshua vs Johnson - Is this fight more competitive than we think? Empty Re: Joshua vs Johnson - Is this fight more competitive than we think?

Post by catchweight Wed 27 May 2015, 11:16 pm

Johnson is an expensive sparring partner

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Joshua vs Johnson - Is this fight more competitive than we think? Empty Re: Joshua vs Johnson - Is this fight more competitive than we think?

Post by mobilemaster8 Wed 27 May 2015, 11:33 pm

Does he carry the power to deter Joshua? He has the chin to take a shot and has the ability to outbox him a bit at times....maybe?

Not too sure, I'm expecting a good fight either way

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Thu 28 May 2015, 6:32 am

His fatness says he's lying.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Thu 28 May 2015, 6:52 am

The original post reads like a Matchroom press release.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Thu 28 May 2015, 7:52 am

Laugh  have you seen the odds for this fight?

http://www.oddschecker.com/boxing/anthony-joshua-v-kevin-johnson/winner

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 28 May 2015, 8:34 am

Nah. Johnson talks a good game, always has, but I'd be surprised if he wins a round here.

Have said plenty of times before that Johnson certainly isn't without skill. Even in fights he's lost such as Vitali, Chisora and Charr he's done some nice little stuff in there. If he'd been in better shape, dropped 20 lb and fought with a bit more passion he could have gone a lot further, but I think he's too long in the tooth and used to falling a long way short now to start changing his spots.

You can be as defensively sound and canny as you like, but if you're only throwing 20-odd punches per round and you don't have much power in them, you're not going to beat Joshua.

I think it'll be a glorified sparring session for Joshua, the intrigue being how much he learns from it and whether or not he can get a stoppage.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 28 May 2015, 9:34 am

Good stamina test for AJ. Hopefully Kingpin pulls off a few tricks in there too so it isn't plain sailing.

The resident v2 bell-end wants him to lose to K but, realistically, there are still some good sub-world level fights out there for AJ to test himself with. Stiv was a recent world champ and can take a shot, also provides a barometer vis a vis Wilder.

Jennings, Pulev, Fury, TT and Povetkin are all exciting match ups too.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Thu 28 May 2015, 9:51 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:Good stamina test for AJ. Hopefully Kingpin pulls off a few tricks in there too so it isn't plain sailing.

The resident v2 bell-end wants him to lose to K but, realistically, there are still some good sub-world level fights out there for AJ to test himself with. Stiv was a recent world champ and can take a shot, also provides a barometer vis a vis Wilder.

You'll need to be more specific.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 28 May 2015, 10:07 am

good sparring, perhaps will last the distance. Should at least teake Joshua a good few rounds if he does stop him.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Mayweathers cellmate Thu 28 May 2015, 10:31 am

He's lost 4 of his last 5 and obviously barely trains. Even when he was serious about boxing, unbeaten, in better shape, fighting VK for a title, he wasn't very good. Johnson is durable but offers nothing else.

Mayweathers cellmate

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 28 May 2015, 12:21 pm

superflyweight wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:Good stamina test for AJ. Hopefully Kingpin pulls off a few tricks in there too so it isn't plain sailing.

He means me...But like usual he's making stuff up.. I rate Bradley because he beat Provo etc...

Never wrote that either !!

I want him to beat Klit..

Can't debate because he knows ground zero...So he makes stuff up and abuses instead..

He's a waste of time..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 28 May 2015, 12:24 pm

Cool Was thinking he meant me, there are a few of us

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 28 May 2015, 12:26 pm

I expect an easy early night...Wouldn't be surprised If Mr 0-3 takes the money and runs. .

He's 41/1 to win....Douglas was 40/1...

That's about the gist of it.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Thu 28 May 2015, 12:34 pm

What's the motivation for Johnson? He's lost most of his recent fights. I don't think we'll get many answers from this, I expect AJ to put him away in the first half of the fight and the commentary to wax lyrical about how he did what Tom, Dick and Wlad couldn't do. Won't mean anything, we know Joshua can punch hard. Get him in the ring with someone who wants to beat him.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 28 May 2015, 12:41 pm

Exactly he's finished and he knows it !!..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ShockmasterV2 Thu 28 May 2015, 12:47 pm

Audley Harrison had me believing he was gonna be world champ countless times... A clever ploy which i almost hope is true but unfortunately someone else who will simply count his cash on the way to the bank.
ShockmasterV2
ShockmasterV2

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 28 May 2015, 1:05 pm

0-3 and his age are very relevant here...

Halling is ready though.."He's world class"..."He's highly respected"..."No one stops Kevin Johnson, Jim"

Remember Ringside, Halling and Watt all declining to mention Sprott had lost his last fight by one round kayo...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 28 May 2015, 1:25 pm

I probably would like Joshua a lot more if Halling didn't commentate on his fights, I have to admit.

McCrory gets plenty of stick for his commentating / punditry but to be fair to him, he did at least try and stem the flow of hyperbole and sensationalism coming from Smith (doesn't help when Halling's replacement is just as cack behind the mic as Halling himself) during Joshua's last fight against Love. A noble thing, albeit he predictably found himself drowned out by the torrent going against him.

McCrory was almost apologetic as he murmured (while still giving Joshua praise, just not the over-the-top kind) that it was an old shell of Shannon Briggs that Love took twelve rounds so it makes no sense to compare it side-by-side with Joshua getting a knockout, that Joshua looked a bit rigid and hittable against someone who might actually throw a punch with bad intentions and that any more of these early blowouts against unambitious, wide-open opponents won't help his progression now.

Smith was having none of it, obviously ("there just isn't a weakness there!" or something along those lines), but if you're reading this Glenn, at least one person in his universe appreciated what you were trying to do.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 28 May 2015, 2:01 pm

88Chris05 wrote:I probably would like Joshua a lot more if Halling didn't commentate on his fights, I have to admit.

McCrory gets plenty of stick for his commentating / punditry but to be fair to him, he did at least try and stem the flow of hyperbole and sensationalism coming from Smith (doesn't help when Halling's replacement is just as cack behind the mic as Halling himself) during Joshua's last fight against Love. A noble thing, albeit he predictably found himself drowned out by the torrent going against him.

McCrory was almost apologetic as he murmured (while still giving Joshua praise, just not the over-the-top kind) that it was an old shell of Shannon Briggs that Love took twelve rounds so it makes no sense to compare it side-by-side with Joshua getting a knockout, that Joshua looked a bit rigid and hittable against someone who might actually throw a punch with bad intentions and that any more of these early blowouts against unambitious, wide-open opponents won't help his progression now.

Smith was having none of it, obviously ("there just isn't a weakness there!" or something along those lines), but if you're reading this Glenn, at least one person in his universe appreciated what you were trying to do.
Although we still don't appreciate you mentioning every five minutes that you sparred with Mike Tyson.

Not sure I could stand to watch a massive boxing event on Sky as the punditry consists of

McCrory - "I sparred with Mike Tyson"
Froch - "I knocked art George Groves in front of eight farzand people at Wembley"
Colin Hart - "I predicted the result of the rumble in the jungle"
Johnny Nelson - "I know Naseem Hamed"

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 28 May 2015, 2:51 pm

Jim Watt "He really fancies the job"

Nick Halling "A complete master class from Mayweather"

Nick Mayweather isn't figting you tw.t, that was last Month!

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 28 May 2015, 2:54 pm

Watt "I've got Hatton well behind but lets hope the judges have been watching something else"

Watt "That decision is a disgrace !!"..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 28 May 2015, 3:01 pm

That first one is brilliant, it's like admitting you want to see the other fighter screwed. Corrupt bast..d haha!

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 28 May 2015, 3:25 pm

Look on the bright side, they appear to have dispensed with Richie Woodhall's services. Richie had Danny Williams up against Vitali at the time of the stoppage

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 28 May 2015, 3:40 pm

What they say: 'Jim, my card's the same as yours, but you never know how the judges might see it"

What they mean: ' Jim, I can neither form my own opinion nor count so I 'm going with your card again. If the judges haven't been bought off and are actually watching the fight, we might be made to look like a pair of cretins yet again"

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 28 May 2015, 3:47 pm

Jim "His legs have gone"

a couple seconds later, "his head has cleared"

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 28 May 2015, 4:09 pm

During the DeGale fight last week, how many times did Jim Watt express concern over the ref's lack of experience at World level and then, having seen then man do a competent job reiterate just how unconcerned he now was at the ref's lack of experience at World level?

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 28 May 2015, 6:03 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
superflyweight wrote:

He means me...But like usual he's making stuff up.. I rate Bradley because he beat Provo etc...

Can't debate because he knows ground zero...So he makes stuff up and abuses instead..

He's a waste of time..

laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing

I've quoted you before and made you look a tw@t. Unlike you who can never quote me on the things I've supposedly said.

Over and over again you've said AJ should just go for it, now you're denying it??????

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 28 May 2015, 6:20 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
superflyweight wrote:

He's a waste of time..

laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing

I've quoted you before and made you look a tw@t. Unlike you who can never quote me on the things I've supposedly said.

Over and over again you've said AJ should just go for it, now you're denying it??????

Obsession is a terrible thing... Rolling Eyes

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Thu 28 May 2015, 7:34 pm

He's a better opponent than Tyson, Lewis, Vitali & Holyfield were fighting at the same points in their respective careers.

Bit of slack = required

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Fri 29 May 2015, 6:50 am

Holyfield not so much, he'd fought his epic first fight with Qawi by now.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Fri 29 May 2015, 8:12 am

DAVE667 wrote:
88Chris05 wrote:I probably would like Joshua a lot more if Halling didn't commentate on his fights, I have to admit.

Johnny Nelson -  "I know Naseem Hamed"

Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 29 May 2015, 8:37 am

It's not just number of fights, its time. AJ isn't quite as active as some of those guys. If you look at a combination of time and fights he's not really ahead of the curve.

As jim says, Holy was dropped in at the deep end with qawi.

lewis fought mason in his 15th fight.

Tyson fought for the world title well inside 2 years of turning pro. Vitali two and a half years.

I've no beef with the speed AJ is being progressed at and think johnson is a sensible fight for him. But those other guys were starting to step up around this stage of their development and AJ should be doing the same. Let's hope this is the start.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mayweathers cellmate Fri 29 May 2015, 10:27 am

Coxy001 wrote:He's a better opponent than Tyson, Lewis, Vitali & Holyfield were fighting at the same points in their respective careers.

Bit of slack = required

...those guys early fights were not PPV though.

Mayweathers cellmate

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Fri 29 May 2015, 10:28 am

Agree he needs to step up Milky, for me Johnson is a pretty good fit and is his first real gatekeeper test.

Questions that I'd like answered:

1) What happens past round 3 where he's not been before? Will he gas?

2) What happens if he gets frustrated that he can't land bombs on the defensively minded Johnson?

3) Does he have more than one plan?

Lest we forget he's only had 12 fights and has spent time on the sidelines with injury. He's already got another fight lined up for July apparently

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 29 May 2015, 10:43 am

I think he'll flatten Johnson inside 2 rounds to be honest. Another set up fight against another stiff.

At this stage he should be getting in with the top British rivals - namely Tyson Fury and setting up for a clash for someone like Wilder instead of waiting to see if Fury can capture a belt or waiting for Vlad to vacate.

Bigger fraud than Harrison imo - not in that he can't fight but that he is being coasted through against bums and has been's to pad out his record to justify a shot at the title when an easy option emerges. Joke that this is on pay per view.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 29 May 2015, 11:19 am

I agree coxy, pretty much my thoughts on the fight... I thought he was the obvious choice... Won't come to win but might tell us something or teach joshua something. It might not if course but sensible matchmaking.

Next step is to fight someone who might try to win.

Bit harsh rodders! You're writing off most fighters in history with that stance. And it's hardly Joshua's fault that Eddie is doing multi fight ppv's.... That's the fault of everyone who bought cleverly bellew Wink

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 29 May 2015, 11:19 am

Problem is, Rodders, you can call Fury a 'top British rival', but really, sadly, he's actually 'world level' therefore not on a novice's radar and vice versa.

Fury, understandly and reasonably, wants titles and money. AJ is high risk and low reward in both respects.

There are more realistic fights out there for him than Fury.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 29 May 2015, 12:21 pm

I'll be disappointed if Joshua doesn't get this one over with by 8-9 rounds. Johnson is generally a static target and disinclined to throw much offensively. whereas AJ has a decent variety of punches. I like how he goes to the body more than most HW's do so I'd like to think a few shots to the ribs will drop the hands of Johnson thus leaving the head exposed and if KJ doesn't drop his hands, just keep whacking those ribs and see how long it takes for him to capitulate.

Back to top Go down

Post by RanjitPatel Fri 29 May 2015, 1:05 pm

Johnson catches punches well on his shoulder but can be shook up when caught on the chin. Chisora hurt him in their awful fight. AJ seems to have a decent boxing brain so this will be a good opportunity to use it against someone so defensively minded.

Said the other day that I'm not interested in him until he steps up but I watched the sky show about him yesterday and it's made me warm to him somewhat.

Got a feeling the ref will jump in in this fight even if Johnson isn't badly hurt. That being said AJ tko 6.

RanjitPatel

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 29 May 2015, 1:57 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:Problem is, Rodders, you can call Fury a 'top British rival', but really, sadly, he's actually 'world level' therefore not on a novice's radar and vice versa.

Fury, understandly and reasonably, wants titles and money.  AJ is high risk and low reward in both respects.

Well there is Chisora and David Price as well. These are guys he should be meeting at this stage. This is another non-event, its like watching a british Sonny Bill Williams.

Has any of his opponents even thrown a punch yet?
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri 29 May 2015, 2:07 pm

To be fair, Rodders, you may have a point. The angry stare our very own Damien (you may know him as Reborn) gave Joshua for being rude to him at the Wembley show last year is probably the most aggression that AJ has been faced with since he turned professional.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by DuransHorse Fri 29 May 2015, 2:26 pm

What annoys me is Johnson being annoyed. Watching some IFL interviews he's unhappy at being a 41/1 underdog and says it's only because he never trained properly before but in this fight he claims he's finally, in his mid 30's?, trained with dedication for the first time.

If you never took your career seriously then quit moaning and be grateful for the payday, chubby! The bookies are looking at your past form and calling it a one sided fight based on that. Accept it and deal with it.

There is an elephant in the room, Mr Johnson... and it'll be in the ring on Saturday night too!

DuransHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Fri 29 May 2015, 2:40 pm

He does look in better shape than I expected to be honest but point taken, DH. I hate it when people cite lack of preparation as an excuse. Training is part of your make up as a boxer, if you're a bad trainer then chances are you're a bad boxer.

I couldn't show up at my job underprepared and say 'Yeah, thing is though I am good, naturally. I just didn't prepare too well'. Doesn't work like that.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 29 May 2015, 2:51 pm

... But he can't just role out last year's lesson plan like you dipper

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by DuransHorse Fri 29 May 2015, 2:51 pm

Dipper Brown wrote:He does look in better shape than I expected to be honest but point taken, DH. I hate it when people cite lack of preparation as an excuse. Training is part of your make up as a boxer, if you're a bad trainer then chances are you're a bad boxer.

I couldn't show up at my job underprepared and say 'Yeah, thing is though I am good, naturally. I just didn't prepare too well'. Doesn't work like that.

I think he said he'll be around 235lbs.  It's not terrible but I don't understand why so many HW boxers come in chubby or flabby after a hard camp.  The way I see it, get your fat levels down to the athlete recommended percentage for a male if you want to perform your best.  Haye isn't my favourite fighter but at least he come in looking the part... and I know it's not a bodybuilding contest.

You train hard to fight easy don't you?  The best athletes will say it's not the work in front of the cameras that makes them the best.

DuransHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 29 May 2015, 2:57 pm

88Chris05 wrote:To be fair, Rodders, you may have a point. The angry stare our very own Damien (you may know him as Reborn) gave Joshua for being rude to him at the Wembley show last year is probably the most aggression that AJ has been faced with since he turned professional.

Let's build a grudge match. Reborn v AJ. Damian can talk of the deep seated anger at being spurned for a text message and that now is the time to settle the score.

PPV? I'd pay up.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by DuransHorse Fri 29 May 2015, 3:01 pm

milkyboy wrote:
88Chris05 wrote:To be fair, Rodders, you may have a point. The angry stare our very own Damien (you may know him as Reborn) gave Joshua for being rude to him at the Wembley show last year is probably the most aggression that AJ has been faced with since he turned professional.

Let's build a grudge match. Reborn v AJ. Damian can talk of the deep seated anger at being spurned for a text message and that now is the time to settle the score.

PPV? I'd pay up.

Shhhhhh! Eddie may be reading this and get ideas, then Strongback will accuse you of being employed as a Matchroom spin doctor and this thread will spiral out of control.

DuransHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 29 May 2015, 3:03 pm

rodders wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:Problem is, Rodders, you can call Fury a 'top British rival', but really, sadly, he's actually 'world level' therefore not on a novice's radar and vice versa.

Fury, understandly and reasonably, wants titles and money.  AJ is high risk and low reward in both respects.

Well there is Chisora and David Price as well. These are guys he should be meeting at this stage. This is another non-event, its like watching a british Sonny Bill Williams.

Has any of his opponents even thrown a punch yet?

Chisora ?? No thanks..

David Price won't happen....................They'll feed him stiffs till he gets a crack at the big one............Heavyweight hasn't got an endless supply of challengers...........

If there were learning fights for Joshua contrary to belief I'd have him take his time.................But he's treading water with this garbage around..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by RanjitPatel Fri 29 May 2015, 3:07 pm

He's got a bit of Audley about him in that he'll fight anyone but fights scared once in the ring. He's probably full of regrets now that he hasn't got the most from his career. He's quite talented too.

RanjitPatel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next