The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Merthyr RFC set to become new force in Welsh Rugby

+31
True Raven
Breadvan
PhilBB
RiscaGame
Stone Motif
mikey_dragon
Welshmushroom
Fanster
doctornickolas
madmaccas
lostinwales
Irish Londoner
XR
Pyleboy65
Luckless Pedestrian
PenfroPete
dragon4life
offload
munkian
The Saint
Steffan
ScarletSpiderman
Shifty
Cardiff Dave
Coleman
bedfordwelsh
LondonTiger
Chunky Norwich
LordDowlais
HammerofThunor
GavinDragon
35 posters

Page 20 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20

Go down

Merthyr RFC set to become new force in Welsh Rugby - Page 20 Empty Merthyr RFC set to become new force in Welsh Rugby

Post by GavinDragon Tue 02 Jun 2015, 4:58 pm

First topic message reminder :

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/merthyr-rfc-set-become-new-9377183

Thoughts?

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Merthyr RFC set to become new force in Welsh Rugby - Page 20 Empty Re: Merthyr RFC set to become new force in Welsh Rugby

Post by PhilBB Fri 15 Apr 2016, 9:44 am

LordDowlais wrote:
Anyway, we would not need one that big. OK

Then you'd have no future as a pro rugby team.
PhilBB
PhilBB

http://www.cardiffrfcfans.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Merthyr RFC set to become new force in Welsh Rugby - Page 20 Empty Re: Merthyr RFC set to become new force in Welsh Rugby

Post by LordDowlais Fri 15 Apr 2016, 10:20 am

PhilBB wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
Anyway, we would not need one that big. OK

Then you'd have no future as a pro rugby team.

Why ?

Dragons do not have a staduim that big and neither do Cardiff, so there is no future for those two teams playing at those grounds then ? What an absolute pleb you keep making yourself look. Rolling Eyes

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Fri 15 Apr 2016, 10:48 am

LordDowlais wrote:
Why ?

Dragons do not have a staduim that big and neither do Cardiff, so there is no future for those two teams playing at those grounds then ? What an absolute pleb you keep making yourself look. Rolling Eyes

Why? Because the match day income would be small and there would be next to no non-matchday income.

Cardiff have plans for a stadium that size plus a complete redevelopment of 7.5 acres of City Centre land to increase their non-matchday income that already is close to seven figures.

The Dragons are a financial basket case, so they are no yardstick for professional rugby.

As for the 'pleb' remark, you clearly have no self awareness or awareness of the requirements of professional rugby.
PhilBB
PhilBB

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 15 Apr 2016, 10:57 am

PhilBB wrote:Cardiff have plans for a stadium that size plus a complete redevelopment of 7.5 acres of City Centre land to increase their non-matchday income that already is close to seven figures.

No they do not, there are no plans as of yet. Take a look at this link:-

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/business-news/30m-new-stadium-professional-rugby-8964069

And in particular this paragraph:-

"While no formal plans have been drawn up, the club could potentially build a new 15,000 capacity stadium and look to offset part of the required investment by realising commercial opportunities around any new ground, including residential and office schemes."

Notice the bit, NO FORMAL PLANS.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Fri 15 Apr 2016, 11:18 am

LordDowlais wrote:
PhilBB wrote:Cardiff have plans for a stadium that size plus a complete redevelopment of 7.5 acres of City Centre land to increase their non-matchday income that already is close to seven figures.

No they do not, there are no plans as of yet. Take a look at this link:-

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/business-news/30m-new-stadium-professional-rugby-8964069

And in particular this paragraph:-

"While no formal plans have been drawn up, the club could potentially build a new 15,000 capacity stadium and look to offset part of the required investment by realising commercial opportunities around any new ground, including residential and office schemes."

Notice the bit, NO FORMAL PLANS.

By formal it means presented to planning permission. Plans have been drawn up.

Maybe you'd like to try again, especially with the 'pleb' comment ringing so true.
PhilBB
PhilBB

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 15 Apr 2016, 11:23 am

Cardiff Blues cannot fill their 12500 capacity stadium anyway, also they are getting on just fine with a 12000 seater stadium, so why would they want a bigger one, that they will never fill ?

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Fri 15 Apr 2016, 1:32 pm

LordDowlais wrote:Cardiff Blues cannot fill their 12500 capacity stadium anyway, also they are getting on just fine with a 12000 seater stadium, so why would they want a bigger one, that they will never fill ?

Nobody has a 12000 seater stadium, so what are you on about?

Interesting claim that they could never attract more than 12,000 when they have done so already on many occasions. Quite an odd claim, therefore.
PhilBB
PhilBB

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 15 Apr 2016, 1:36 pm

PhilBB wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:Cardiff Blues cannot fill their 12500 capacity stadium anyway, also they are getting on just fine with a 12000 seater stadium, so why would they want a bigger one, that they will never fill ?

Interesting claim that they could never attract more than 12,000 when they have done so already on many occasions. Quite an odd claim, therefore.

Tell me then, go on, prove it. When have Cardiff Blues attracted crowds of over 10,000 as of late ?

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Fri 15 Apr 2016, 2:57 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
PhilBB wrote:

Tell me then, go on, prove it. When have Cardiff Blues attracted crowds of over 10,000 as of late ?

There you go again, adding in your own clause of 'as of late'. It's a really odd habit to challenge a premise by completely changing the context. Why do you behave that way?

Really, really odd to had in your own caveat to disprove a barely related point. It's a huge sign of weakness.
PhilBB
PhilBB

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 15 Apr 2016, 3:32 pm

So once this season so far, twice last season, and five times the season before last.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 15 Apr 2016, 3:33 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:So once this season so far, twice last season, and five times the season before last.

Sh*t the bed ! Shocked
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 15 Apr 2016, 5:13 pm

Laugh

Merthyr football club had a big crowd once, in about 1986 when Atalanta came to town. Cracking day out for us all it was.

Just like Cardiff Blues, they are times to remember. Rolling Eyes

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 15 Apr 2016, 5:15 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:So once this season so far, twice last season, and five times the season before last.

According to his dates it was only once last season. OK

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 15 Apr 2016, 7:08 pm

I'm sure they'd fill it if the Manics played there.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 26 Apr 2016, 1:08 pm

Well, it's all getting interesting at the top now. RGC beat Pontypool in their own back yard, they have put it all in their own hands now, if RGC win all their remaining games then they are up.

If Bargoed beat Pontypool this weekend, that would see Bargoed up I would think and vice verca, then it would make it very interesting with RGC1404 having to got to Cardiff MET and Glynneath in their final two games. With one of the two sides above them having to drop points this weekend, then I would have RGC as the favourites for promotion, unless they capitulate against a struggling Glynneath and an out of form Cardiff MET.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Tue 26 Apr 2016, 2:01 pm

I went to watch Pontypool v RGC1404.

The standard was, politely put, light years away from the professional game.
PhilBB
PhilBB

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 26 Apr 2016, 2:06 pm

PhilBB wrote:I went to watch Pontypool v RGC1404. 

Of course you did. Christ you don't half get about Phil. Rolling Eyes

PhilBB wrote:The standard was, politely put, light years away from the professional game.

That might be because they are not pro teams. Rolling Eyes

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Tue 26 Apr 2016, 2:09 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
PhilBB wrote:I went to watch Pontypool v RGC1404. 

Of course you did. Christ you don't half get about Phil. Rolling Eyes

PhilBB wrote:The standard was, politely put, light years away from the professional game.

That might be because they are not pro teams. Rolling Eyes

Hang on, you're not believing that I was there?

Sadly, you're right. They are not pro teams. What's worse, of course, is that they are trying to get into a league which is heavily influenced by pro teams and in which pro team employees play, meaning that it would be beneficial if the standard of play there was a little bit better than I say.

See now?
PhilBB
PhilBB

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 26 Apr 2016, 2:14 pm

Phil, I would not believe you if you told me tomorrow was Wednesday. OK

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Tue 26 Apr 2016, 2:19 pm

LordDowlais wrote:Phil, I would not believe you if you told me tomorrow was Wednesday. OK

I tweeted pics.

I still have my ticket - 07/110

It cost £7.

That you wouldn't believe me if I told you that tomorrow was Wednesday shows only your own level of intelligence.
PhilBB
PhilBB

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue 26 Apr 2016, 2:53 pm

Hopefully when they go up they'll get more players. Surprised RGC beat Pontypool, hell of a statement of intent from them.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Tue 26 Apr 2016, 3:15 pm

LordDowlais wrote:Well, it's all getting interesting at the top now. RGC beat Pontypool in their own back yard, they have put it all in their own hands now, if RGC win all their remaining games then they are up.

If Bargoed beat Pontypool this weekend, that would see Bargoed up I would think and vice verca, then it would make it very interesting with RGC1404 having to got to Cardiff MET and Glynneath in their final two games. With one of the two sides above them having to drop points this weekend, then I would have RGC as the favourites for promotion, unless they capitulate against a struggling Glynneath and an out of form Cardiff MET.

Is that right, as if Pooler beat Bargoed and Bargoed get six points from two games, then surely RGC don't go up? So it isn't in their own hands either?

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 26 Apr 2016, 3:20 pm

RiscaGame wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:Well, it's all getting interesting at the top now. RGC beat Pontypool in their own back yard, they have put it all in their own hands now, if RGC win all their remaining games then they are up.

Is that right, as if Pooler beat Bargoed and Bargoed get six points from two games, then surely RGC don't go up? So it isn't in their own hands either?

Sorry yes you are right, Pooler have one game left, so if they lose away to Bargoed then it is all down to RGC winning their two remaining games. I thought Bargoed only had one game left.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Sun 01 May 2016, 8:16 pm

So, Bargoed have beaten Pooler and denied them a losing bonus point, so if RGC win their remaining games then they are up.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Sun 01 May 2016, 11:54 pm

The biggest news is Pooler will only have to do two seasons in the championship now, instead of four (or whatever).

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 12 May 2016, 4:37 pm

Cardiff Blues flyhalf Gareth Davies will be playing for Merthyr next season. He will be a very good prem player. Yahoo

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Thu 12 May 2016, 4:56 pm

LordDowlais wrote:Cardiff Blues flyhalf Gareth Davies will be playing for Merthyr next season. He will be a very good prem player. Yahoo

Interesting to see how the pitch was coming on last Saturday. Those blue drainage pipes look impressive.
PhilBB
PhilBB

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 12 May 2016, 4:58 pm

Oh epic, it's PhilBB here again to leave a wake of destruction before buggering off again. Very Happy

Anyway Phil, it's a good signing for Merthyr would you not agree ?

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Thu 12 May 2016, 5:01 pm

LordDowlais wrote:Oh epic, it's PhilBB here again to leave a wake of destruction before buggering off again. Very Happy

Anyway Phil, it's a good signing for Merthyr would you not agree ?

Davies? Was a very good Premiership fly half. He should enjoy the front foot game but don't expect him to tackle.

Nice to see so many youngsters enjoying running around the clubhouse last Sunday (not Saturday, apologies). They must have had a presentation do or something.

Here's hoping that Stan's plaything rips up the WP next season.
PhilBB
PhilBB

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 19 Jul 2016, 4:02 pm

Work is now coming along nicely at Merthyr:-

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/rugby-valleys-heartlands-merthyr-pontypridd-11635512

I cannot wait for next season to begin. Yahoo

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Tue 30 Aug 2016, 1:40 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
PhilBB wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

That is the clubhouse, NOT THE GROUND. Doh

The clubhouse is in the ground, Champ. Don't we all know that?

You were comparing PYS, and other stadiums, so please do move your goal posts, you are trying to convince me on a technicality, the Athletic club and the Arms park are two different venues, they are just next door to each other.

If you had said the club house before hand I would have inclined to agree with you, even though it is a tiny old poke of a club, but you were referring to stadiums and what they could offer all year around.

I love the bit in bold.
PhilBB
PhilBB

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 30 Aug 2016, 2:35 pm

Where does that say anything about the club not being in Cardiff ?

Come on now Phil, please do not play clever buggers.

That is just me saying that the GROUND AND STADIA, are not part of the CLUBHOUSE. They are all very much in Cardiff city center though.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Tue 30 Aug 2016, 2:37 pm

LordDowlais wrote:Where does that say anything about the club not being in Cardiff ?

Come on now Phil, please do not play clever buggers.

That is just me saying that the GROUND AND STADIA, are not part of the CLUBHOUSE. They are all very much in Cardiff city center though.

Where did I claim that you claimed the clubhouse wasn't in Cardiff?

The clubhouse is clearly part of CAP. They are not two different venues, which are the words you wrote. Sorry.
PhilBB
PhilBB

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 30 Aug 2016, 2:48 pm

PhilBB wrote:The clubhouse is clearly part of CAP. They are not two different venues, which are the words you wrote. Sorry.

Yes they are, one is a clubhouse built next to the ground, where you go and relax and by alcohol, the other is a stadium where you go and watch rugby, two different venues, built next door to each other. Sto trying to squirm your way out of it.

Not once have I mentioned not in Cardiff or the CAP as you like to call it.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Tue 30 Aug 2016, 2:50 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
Yes they are, one is a clubhouse built next to the ground, where you go and relax and by alcohol, the other is a stadium where you go and watch rugby, two different venues, built next door to each other. Sto trying to squirm your way out of it.

Not once have I mentioned not in Cardiff or the CAP as you like to call it.

WTF?

http://www.cardiffathleticclub.co.uk/contact-us.php

It is part of the bloody ground. How daft can you be?
PhilBB
PhilBB

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 30 Aug 2016, 3:51 pm

Rolling Eyes

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 05 Sep 2016, 11:37 am

Good start to the season for Merthyr:-

Cross Keys 3 Merthyr 18

IRONMEN DOMINATE CROSS KEYS IN OPENING PREMIERSHIP GAME

Cross Keys 3 Merthyr 18

Merthyr dominated Cross Keys at Pandy Park to get them off to a perfect start as new boys in the Premiership. With rain pouring down for most of the game Merthyr settle the quicker to the conditions as they kept early pressure on Cross Keys. Merthyr turned down early kicks at goal opting for lineouts with their forwards driving at cross keys. Merthyr came close to the opening score when they drove the cross keys pack back at a maul only for Referee Gwyn Morris to penalize them for a high neck tackle. Young second row Ben Murphy and skipper Craig Locke were winning good line out ball in the slippery conditions which allowed outside half Gareth Davies to control territory with fine touch kicks. However, it was Cross Keys that opened the scoring after Merthyr were penalized for not releasing and home full back Ethan Davies making no mistake with a well struck penalty. Back up field came Merthyr and when they were awarded a kickable penalty they opted to go for the lineout which they won and drove at the Cross Keys line which saw hooker Rhys Williams emerge from a pile of bodies with the ball to give the ironmen a deserved 3-5 lead. This seemed to inspire Merthyr with the back row of Siggery, Powell, and Osian Davies causing Cross Keys defense problems as they kept driving forward time after time, and this was rewarded when they were penalized for off side 30 meters out which saw Matthew Jarvis make no mistake as he extended the lead further with a penalty kick to give Merthyr a 3-8 lead. Merthyr were then reduced to 14 men when number eight Andy Powell was binned for a high tackle, Ethan Davie’s kick just going wide. Merthyr collected the restart and drove up field with good carries from James Howe and Siggery and when Cross Keys were penalized for collapsing the maul deliberately captain Locke once again turned down a kickable penalty which turned out be the right call as Merthyr once again drove from the lineout and trundled towards the Cross Keys line which saw the impressive Osian Davies crash over for Merthyr’s second try, Jarvis converted and Merthyr had extended their lead to 3-15, as half time approached. Merthyr continued the second half similar to the first with their forwards in control as they looked to extend the lead further. However, the weather turned worse with torrential rain making playing and handling conditions hard to cope with but Merthyr now full of confidence were always in control and as hard as Cross Keys tried they could not make any headway against a well organised Merthyr side. Jarvis kick his second penalty of the afternoon as Cross Keys were penalized at the set piece and Merthyr were home and dry at 3-18. A sweeping movement from the Merthyr backs led by outside half Gareth Davies found prop Nathan Buck in space as he charged for the line only desperate tackling forcing him into touch. As the came reached the last 15 minutes’ skipper Locke was yellow carded but still controlled the game and never looked in danger of letting their lead slip. Merthyr should have rounded the game off with a third try 5 minutes from time when replacement outside half Dean Gunter found Centre Aaron Pincers in space only for him to spill the ball with the line at his mercy. This was a clinical performance by Merthyr in their opening game in the premiership against a well-established Cross Keys side who finished 4th last season. Credit to the Merthyr pack for controlling the game all afternoon in poor conditions well led by skipper Craig Locke. Also for Merthyr back row man Osian Davies was outstanding all afternoon. Behind the scrum half backs Downes and Davies dictated play with cleaver kicks and new full back Owen Howe looked safe all afternoon under the high ball. This Saturday Merthyr are expecting a large crowd as they welcome Cardiff RFC to the Wern for their first home game of the premiership with Both Sir Stanley Thomas and brother Peter having a vestige interest in the outcome.

Merthyr: 15 O Howe, 14 T Gee, 13 M Jarvis, 12 A Pincers, 11 M Trowbridge, 10 G Davies, 9 R Downes, 1 J Howe, 2 R Williams, 3 G Powell, 4 C Locke(c) 5 B Murphy, 6 E Siggery, 7 O Davies, 8 A Powell. 16 L Jones, 17 M Dwyer, 18 N Buck, 19 M Rees, 20 B Sier, 21 T James, 22 D Gunter, 23 A Hoskins,

Scorers, R Williams 1t, O Davies 1t, M Jarvis 2p, 1c

Referee Gwyn Morris(Cardiff) A Powell, C Locke yellow cards.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 05 Sep 2016, 11:55 am

Powell still daft as a brush then
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 05 Sep 2016, 11:58 am

munkian wrote:Powell still daft as a brush then

As always. Did you watch Scrum V last night ? Did you hear what he did to Lee Jarvis's car ?

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 05 Sep 2016, 11:59 am

I can't be arsed with it anymore - jobs for the boyos rubbish mostly.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Mon 05 Sep 2016, 12:04 pm

Ahh ponty have wheeled out that pillock again?  Next they'll be inviting Owen Smith MP to write something for them...when's election year?

-------

https://www.606v2.com/viewtopic.forum?t=64376

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20