Australia in West Indies 2015

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Australia in West Indies 2015

Post by msp83 on Tue 02 Jun 2015, 5:08 pm

First topic message reminder :

Australia are to play a couple of tests in the West Indies before the summer Ashes. Australia would be finalizing the makeup of the side and get going after the WC win, they will be playing their first test in almost 5 months. Fawad Ahmed, the legspinner is a chance to make his debut in the first test if the track could turn significantly.
As for the West Indies, they fought hard in the England series, and would be hoping to more of the same against Australia. It is the start of a new era for them, as Shiv Narine Chanderpaul's test career is all but over as he was axed for poor form in the last 2 series he played. The only regular test player from their IPL contingent, Chris Gayle is smashing it all over England and so the opening combination remains a problem and now they'll have to find someone who can step in for Chanderpaul.
Hope the West Indies would fight and make the series interesting enough.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Re: Australia in West Indies 2015

Post by KP_fan on Sun 14 Jun 2015, 7:26 pm

WI just gave up it appears

Aus too good
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Loaded Dog on Mon 15 Jun 2015, 12:22 pm

So happy to see Josh Hazelwood perform the way he did this series. Starc is simply scary nowadays as well. Always nice to see a bowler with a smile on his face... plying his trade.

It's a pity that someone will have to miss out in England when Harris returns but then again, I feel they may rest him at some stage (even if things are going well) and spread the workload. Same might happen if things don't go so well. So either way, I hope we can see Josh involved in proceedings during the coming months.
The Loaded Dog
TLD
TLD

Back to top Go down

Post by wisden on Mon 15 Jun 2015, 12:23 pm

i dont think Harris will start the Ashes... the other 3 are in form, and have the match pratice...harris will play at some stage because its a 5 match series, in a short period of time, then there will be rotation

wisden

Back to top Go down

Post by The Loaded Dog on Mon 15 Jun 2015, 12:27 pm

wisden wrote:i dont think Harris will start the Ashes... the other 3 are in form, and have the match practice...harris will play at some stage because its a 5 match series, in a short period of time, then there will be rotation

Yeah. As I say... we will see them all at some stage. The combinations will be interesting.

Exactly like King Carlos' line-up in the Ashes thread. No Marshes. Voges deserves his spot and of course Bucky will be back.
The Loaded Dog
TLD
TLD

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie on Mon 15 Jun 2015, 3:25 pm

The Loaded Dog wrote:
wisden wrote:i dont think Harris will start the Ashes... the other 3 are in form, and have the match practice...harris will play at some stage because its a 5 match series, in a short period of time, then there will be rotation

Yeah. As I say... we will see them all at some stage. The combinations will be interesting.

Exactly like King Carlos' line-up in the Ashes thread. No Marshes. Voges deserves his spot and of course Bucky will be back.

Yes I'd expect Rogers and Voges to line up in Cardiff. Suppose you could have a Marsh for a Watson ? But I do not think they will ; certainly not at first.
I don't think it will be the same XI for five matches this time ; though I guess that could be my English optimism Smile

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by The Loaded Dog on Tue 16 Jun 2015, 3:06 am

alfie wrote:
The Loaded Dog wrote:

Yes I'd expect Rogers and Voges to line up in Cardiff. Suppose you could have a Marsh for a Watson ?  But I do not think they will ; certainly not at first.
I don't think it will be the same XI for five matches this time ; though I guess that could be my English optimism Smile

Didn't you love the way Watson shouldered arms to get dismissed in that last innings, Alfie?
He obviously thinks the shadow of his ego had the stumps well covered. He, along with Ed Cowan, have perfected that art! Oh, deary me.

Yeah, actually maybe give S Marsh yet another chance as much as it pains me to say. Not sure if Rod Marsh will have the numbers this time (despite JL and Papa Geoff working his ear overtime) to convince the "Eastern Bloc" of Waugh, Bichel and Hohns to give him another run.

He (Watto) did chip in with a solitary soft & timely wicket though... so maybe he has yet again bought more time for himself. Bugger!
However, it's nice to have just the one selection dilemma at the moment. I don't consider the oversupply of pace bowlers to be a major problem.
The Loaded Dog
TLD
TLD

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie on Tue 16 Jun 2015, 3:21 am

Well Lehmann has said fairly clearly he wants Watson's bowling...so I guess that's it for now.

As for an oversupply of fast bowlers I agree it isn't a problem. Injuries usually take care of it sooner or later. If Australia really think it is a big issue perhaps they could find an ancestral connection for Hazelwood , say , and get him a British passport Smile

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by The Loaded Dog on Tue 16 Jun 2015, 3:27 am

Alfie, you can't have one leg in each basket! Smile

On the other thread you talk about the more aggressive risk play to get well beyond the anticipated run target (a big tick!)

Now this ancestral thingamajig raises its ugly head/s again. (a big 'X')

What are you having for lunch, mate?
The Loaded Dog
TLD
TLD

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie on Tue 16 Jun 2015, 3:42 am

Don't see why I cant ; even Tony Abbott lets us hold two passports unless we do something seriously nasty Smile

Nah wouldn't really want one of your castoffs...though I guess I'll have to stretch a point on the coach ...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by The Loaded Dog on Tue 16 Jun 2015, 4:26 am

alfie wrote:Don't see why I cant ; even Tony Abbott lets us hold two passports unless we do something seriously nasty Smile

Nah wouldn't really want one of your castoffs...though I guess I'll have to stretch a point on the coach ...

Yes, you are lucky to have the best of both world's in relation to dual citizenship.

Rather Bayliss than Dizzy I suppose. If things go haywire at least he will be of the right nationality to sink the boot into. Wink
The Loaded Dog
TLD
TLD

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie on Tue 16 Jun 2015, 5:15 am

I have the greatest of respect for Dizzy - although International coaching is a different beast from looking after Yorkshire.
But in a way I would have felt slightly uncomfortable to see him taking on England for an Ashes Series...somehow the lower profile Bayliss seems less inappropriate ...
Guess sport is so global these days it had to happen some day. Though I am not holding my breath for Australia to appoint an Englishman to their head coach job !
At least in cricket. The football mob didn't mind...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 on Tue 16 Jun 2015, 11:12 am

The West Indies bowling is all about Taylor, and if Bishoo keeps himself fit, then him too. Roach just isn't the same bowler before he picked up his latest injury during the year end series in South Africa. He's getting his pace back, but he's a long, long way away from the bowler he ones was. Think they'll have to stick with him, because Gabriel or the other recently tried seamers aren't really up to it, and Roach at his best is major world class. Holder is a 4th seamer, and since their players picked for batting can't obviously do that and he can do better than them all, they should move him up the order and play another bowler. Perhaps Gabriel as the 3rd seamer, he has serious pace and certain days he can get it right! Would give Bishoo a bit of room as well, as there would be more to share the workload around. Drop Ramdin, give the gloves to Hope or Dowrich, and play 5 batsmen and 5 bowlers.
Brathwaite
Gayle
Bravo
Hope
Blackwood
Dowrich (Wicketkeeper)
Holder (Captain)
Carlos Brathwaite?
Roach
Taylor
Bishoo
Gayle and Brathwaite are the best available openers for the West Indies and the senior batsman has expressed his desire to play all formats. Gayle is the best test opener to have emerged from the region in the last 20 years though his test record isn't anything special by global standards. Yes he has his T-20 commitments, yes he has had his issues with the board. But he's the best they've got, the alternatives like Chandrika who averages in the mid 20s in FC cricket are not made for test cricket.
Ramdin isn't consistent with the bat, and his captaincy onfield is atrocious to say the least! Both Dowrich and Hope are wicketkeepers, and potentially good batsmen as well. Holder can make the best 7 batsmen from the region though not for many other sides. And as a 4th seamer he's pretty good. He does have a fine attitude and has gained the respect of the cricket world quickly at a young age. They are on a path of transformation, might as well go the whole way, Holder is already the ODI skipper, put him in charge of the test side as well.
Don't know a great deal about Carlos Brathwaite, but he was in the squad for the England series, and he's a bowling all-rounder.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket on Wed 17 Jun 2015, 12:58 pm

msp83 wrote:The West Indies bowling is all about Taylor, and if Bishoo keeps himself fit, then him too. Roach just isn't the same bowler before he picked up his latest injury during the year end series in South Africa. He's getting his pace back, but he's a long, long way away from the bowler he ones was. Think they'll have to stick with him, because Gabriel or the other recently tried seamers aren't really up to it, and Roach at his best is major world class. Holder is a 4th seamer, and since their players picked for batting can't obviously do that and he can do better than them all, they should move him up the order and play another bowler. Perhaps Gabriel as the 3rd seamer, he has serious pace and certain days he can get it right! Would give Bishoo a bit of room as well, as there would be more to share the workload around. Drop Ramdin, give the gloves to Hope or Dowrich, and play 5 batsmen and 5 bowlers.
Brathwaite
Gayle
Bravo
Hope
Blackwood
Dowrich (Wicketkeeper)
Holder (Captain)
Carlos Brathwaite?
Roach
Taylor
Bishoo
Gayle and Brathwaite are the best available openers for the West Indies and the senior batsman has expressed his desire to play all formats. Gayle is the best test opener to have emerged from the region in the last 20 years though his test record isn't anything special by global standards. Yes he has his T-20 commitments, yes he has had his issues with the board. But he's the best they've got, the alternatives like Chandrika who averages in the mid 20s in FC cricket are not made for test cricket.
Ramdin isn't consistent with the bat, and his captaincy onfield is atrocious to say the least! Both Dowrich and Hope are wicketkeepers, and potentially good batsmen as well. Holder can make the best 7 batsmen from the region though not for many other sides. And as a 4th seamer he's pretty good. He does have a fine attitude and has gained the respect of the cricket world quickly at a young age. They are on a path of transformation, might as well go the whole way, Holder is already the ODI skipper, put him in charge of the test side as well.
Don't know a great deal about Carlos Brathwaite, but he was in the squad for the England series, and he's a bowling all-rounder.
Well, except for the fact that actions don't quite match the words. He has opted out of 3 test series in a row now to play in the Ram Slam, IPL and the T20 blast respectively. Why would you go back to a 35 year old with a terrible fitness record, and who only makes himself available when there is absolutely no other T20 tournament going around on the planet?
I would also pick Miguel Cummins over Roach. The guy has raw pace, which the latter doesn't possess right now and looks pretty toothless without it.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 on Wed 17 Jun 2015, 1:20 pm

ShankyCricket wrote:
msp83 wrote:The West Indies bowling is all about Taylor, and if Bishoo keeps himself fit, then him too. Roach just isn't the same bowler before he picked up his latest injury during the year end series in South Africa. He's getting his pace back, but he's a long, long way away from the bowler he ones was. Think they'll have to stick with him, because Gabriel or the other recently tried seamers aren't really up to it, and Roach at his best is major world class. Holder is a 4th seamer, and since their players picked for batting can't obviously do that and he can do better than them all, they should move him up the order and play another bowler. Perhaps Gabriel as the 3rd seamer, he has serious pace and certain days he can get it right! Would give Bishoo a bit of room as well, as there would be more to share the workload around. Drop Ramdin, give the gloves to Hope or Dowrich, and play 5 batsmen and 5 bowlers.
Brathwaite
Gayle
Bravo
Hope
Blackwood
Dowrich (Wicketkeeper)
Holder (Captain)
Carlos Brathwaite?
Roach
Taylor
Bishoo
Well, except for the fact that actions don't quite match the words. He has opted out of 3 test series in a row now to play in the Ram Slam, IPL and the T20 blast respectively. Why would you go back to a 35 year old with a terrible fitness record, and who only makes himself available when there is absolutely no other T20 tournament going around on the planet?
I would also pick Miguel Cummins over Roach. The guy has raw pace, which the latter doesn't possess right now and looks pretty toothless without it.
Because the alternatives are the kinds who averages mid 20s in FC cricket, without a single FC hundred against his name!! Give me my 35 year olds and the 40 year old for such total selectorial disgraces in the name of youth!! Any day, every day!!

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum