Japan, Indies and Everything Else

Page 15 of 17 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Go down

Japan, Indies and Everything Else - Page 15 Empty Japan, Indies and Everything Else

Post by Prometheus on Tue 16 Jun 2015, 7:48 pm

First topic message reminder :

So, to save me opening a hundred different threads that would most likely be populated by House and myself, here's a thread that everyone is welcome to contribute to on Lucha Underground, Ring of Honor, PWG, Evolution, New Japan, NOAH, AAA and basically anything that is not WWE, NXT or TNA.
Prometheus
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Japan, Indies and Everything Else - Page 15 Empty Re: Japan, Indies and Everything Else

Post by Marky on Mon 14 May 2018, 1:04 pm

Beer wrote:
Dolphin Ziggler wrote:It’s almost not incredible as much as it is. It stands out, but also it’s hugely hyped and wrestlers have more fanbases to push into in a much different way than promoters

Also a huge amount appeared on Stubhub etc shortly after, so false numbers.

What's incredible is that Cody has literally absorbed himself into the hype he generated about himself.

I'd pay to see that.

Maybe that's why All In sold out.

Marky

Back to top Go down

Japan, Indies and Everything Else - Page 15 Empty Re: Japan, Indies and Everything Else

Post by Beer on Mon 14 May 2018, 1:07 pm

Marky wrote:
Beer wrote:
Dolphin Ziggler wrote:It’s almost not incredible as much as it is. It stands out, but also it’s hugely hyped and wrestlers have more fanbases to push into in a much different way than promoters

What's incredible is that Cody has literally absorbed himself into the hype he generated about himself.

I'd pay to see that.

Maybe that's why All In sold out.

I think it's more because CM Punk might appear.

Beer

Location : 'Whose kids are these? And how'd they get in my Lincoln?'

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo on Mon 14 May 2018, 6:41 pm

Beer wrote:

Not nearly as many as people make out. Even Uncle Dave said he was surprised at the low number.

And credit where it is due, Cody is proving alot of doubters wrong. He’s went from a bad gimmick in WWE to one of the most popular and over indy stars in the world. Like him or loathe him he’s done what a lot of wrestlers before him couldnt.

Dusty would be very proud.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD on Mon 14 May 2018, 7:26 pm

I don’t think we can underestimate how big a deal drawing a 10k house is, the last pro wrestling company to draw 10k + in North America outside of WWE, was WCW with Spring Stampede in 2000

I can’t see how this can be anything else that a cause for celebration, anything that cuts into the monopoly WWE has on the industry and gives power and leverage back to workers is great news for me

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando on Mon 14 May 2018, 7:29 pm

I expected it to sell out (see 5nerdsgo podcast for that #CheapPlug) but i suspect it's more down to them teasing CM Punk being there as apart of their Pro Wrest Tees signing etc sent it into overdrive. Im sure it was just a coincidence it was dropped a few days before sales cos apart from that it's effectively a glorified NJ/ROH show.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD on Mon 14 May 2018, 7:38 pm

Fernando wrote:I expected it to sell out (see 5nerdsgo podcast for that #CheapPlug) but i suspect it's more down to them teasing CM Punk being there as apart of their Pro Wrest Tees signing etc sent it into overdrive. Im sure it was just a coincidence it was dropped a few days before sales cos apart from that it's effectively a glorified NJ/ROH show.

Are you saying Cody vs Magnus for the NWA title isn’t box office?

I think the success of the show is a real statement for the how people suppprt the DIY nature of the Elite and podcast/vlog content creation culture in general

I don’t think it’s sustainable at least not at a real frequency but I wasn’t as nearly as confident as you it would sell out, at least not nearly as quickly as it did

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Ché Guerrero on Mon 14 May 2018, 9:17 pm

Not sure why the scalpers are so significant
It still sold out

Ché Guerrero

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler on Mon 14 May 2018, 10:32 pm

They aren’t, all shows have scalpers and the scalpers buy what they think will make them money.

I think it’s an obvious achievement, I’m just not surprised. It’s an event that is almost a rallying call, and that’s the best marketing ploy about it. Fans who are buying because they think they’re part of it, not just customers. Like how football fans used to be

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky on Tue 15 May 2018, 8:01 am

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:Fans who are buying because they think they’re part of it, not just customers. Like how football fans used to be

As much as I enjoy going to Progress shows, this perfectly sums Progress up.

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer on Tue 15 May 2018, 10:26 am

Samo wrote:
Beer wrote:

Not nearly as many as people make out. Even Uncle Dave said he was surprised at the low number.

And credit where it is due, Cody is proving alot of doubters wrong. He’s went from a bad gimmick in WWE to one of the most popular and over indy stars in the world. Like him or loathe him he’s done what a lot of wrestlers before him couldnt.

Dusty would be very proud.

What has he done that's original? It's still the same tacky gimmick he had in WWE. He's aligned himself with something that was already established. He hasn't built himself up from the ground. He's also still not a great worker.

Beer

Location : 'Whose kids are these? And how'd they get in my Lincoln?'

Back to top Go down

Post by Ché Guerrero on Tue 15 May 2018, 7:50 pm

Yeah Dolph i think Beers point on the scalpers is moot.

Scalpers are only reacting to perceived demand anyway. For what its worth Matt, Nick and Cody do seem to care about the resales but they dont have to

Ché Guerrero

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando on Wed 16 May 2018, 10:12 pm

WWE UK Tournament

1st 8 entries been announced

Zack Gibson
Kenny Williams
Jack Gallagher
Joe Coffey
Dave Mastiff
Joseph Conners
El Ligero
Amir Jordan

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD on Wed 16 May 2018, 11:09 pm

Fernando wrote:WWE UK Tournament

1st 8 entries been announced

Zack Gibson
Kenny Williams
Jack Gallagher
Joe Coffey
Dave Mastiff
Joseph Conners
El Ligero
Amir Jordan

Damn Mexican’s coming over here, stealing our tournament spots

Build a wall

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando on Wed 16 May 2018, 11:23 pm

I just want Banter Edition vs Grizzled Young Vets in a non tournament match.

Couldn't care who wins otherwise Laugh

Travis Banks, Chris Brookes, Mark Andrews, Jordan Devlin, James Drake, Flash Morgan Webster also expected to take part in the tournament

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Ché Guerrero on Thu 17 May 2018, 8:30 am

Enzo not going to face any charges

Ché Guerrero

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo on Fri 18 May 2018, 6:01 pm

8 more names added to the UK tournament.

Travis Bank
Flash Morgan Webster
Jordan Devlin
Tucker
Drew Gulak
Ashton Smith
James Drake
Tyson T-Bone

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD on Fri 18 May 2018, 6:58 pm

Samo wrote:8 more names added to the UK tournament.

Travis Bank
Flash Morgan Webster
Jordan Devlin
Tucker
Drew Gulak
Ashton Smith
James Drake
Tyson T-Bone

Glad Devlin is getting a chance to make a 2nd impression, he’s getting buried on the WWE Facebook page that I saw and he’s been killing it in everything I’ve seen in the past 2 years

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler on Fri 18 May 2018, 7:19 pm

Love that they’ve put Gulak in.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD on Fri 18 May 2018, 7:42 pm

Find it weird people are getting upset about him but everyone’s ok with Ligero, Philly is closer to the UK than Mexico

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler on Fri 18 May 2018, 7:49 pm

Dr Gregory House MD wrote:Find it weird people are getting upset about him but everyone’s ok with Ligero, Philly is closer to the UK than Mexico
And New Zealand is quite a long way away

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky on Sun 20 May 2018, 6:39 pm

Progress Wembley is shaping up nicely.

With ZSJ challenging whoever is World Champion, a 7 Tag Team Thunderbastard match, and a Ospreay v Havoc rematch confirmed, today's show (spoilers) all but confirmed;

Spoiler:
Pete Dunne v Ilja Dragunov

Which will be unreal.

Quite a few from v2 going actually.

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD on Sun 20 May 2018, 8:52 pm

Marky wrote:Progress Wembley is shaping up nicely.

With ZSJ challenging whoever is World Champion, a 7 Tag Team Thunderbastard match, and a Ospreay v Havoc rematch confirmed, today's show (spoilers) all but confirmed;

Spoiler:

Which will be unreal.

Almost makes me want to travel to London

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky on Sun 20 May 2018, 11:23 pm

Dr Gregory House MD wrote:

Spoiler:

Which will be unreal.

Ah go on. I'm sure it's worth a Megabus return ticket...

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD on Mon 21 May 2018, 1:19 am

Marky wrote:
Dr Gregory House MD wrote:

Spoiler:

Which will be unreal.

Ah go on. I'm sure it's worth a Megabus return ticket...

I’ll maybe look into it nearer the time but I’ve done the big arena show a few times with ICW now and it’s not my preferred way to consume wrestling

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando on Mon 21 May 2018, 1:43 pm

I assume you prefer a suppository angel

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando on Thu 07 Jun 2018, 10:41 am

Big Dave Throwing his stars about again

Taiji Ishimori vs. Hiromu Takahashi: 5.5

Meltzer said he would have rated Ishimori vs. Takahashi 6 stars but he didn’t want to reward such a dangerous match too much.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky on Thu 07 Jun 2018, 10:42 am

This sounds like potentially the greatest match ever. Over 5* and dangerous. Anyone got a link?

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando on Thu 07 Jun 2018, 10:46 am

Marky wrote:This sounds like potentially the greatest match ever. Over 5* and dangerous. Anyone got a link?

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6l1uqu

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky on Thu 07 Jun 2018, 10:53 am

Fernando wrote:
Marky wrote:This sounds like potentially the greatest match ever. Over 5* and dangerous. Anyone got a link?

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6l1uqu

Banging.

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo on Thu 07 Jun 2018, 4:46 pm

Johnny Saint has been named as the General Manager of the WWE UK Brand.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD on Mon 11 Jun 2018, 3:46 pm

LA Park, the dancing skeleton formerly of WCW, has somehow managed to wangle his way into the main events of AAA & CMLL’s biggest shows of the year

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD on Tue 19 Jun 2018, 1:47 pm

Omega/Ibushi is on for the G1 B Block finals at Boudakan!!!!

I’m away to lay down in a corner

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD on Wed 20 Jun 2018, 8:51 am

PWG have gone very left field with their first batch of BOLA announcements

PCO (the former Quebecer Pierre from 90s WWF), Jody Fleicsh, Ilja Dragunov (yes please) & Brody King have are all making their BOLA debuts

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD on Mon 09 Jul 2018, 11:27 pm

Watched SSE UK and the G1 Special back to back and the difference in the commentary is quite starggering

Kevin Kelly parachutes into Rev Pro and is working Aussie Open’s Fight Club Pro angle from the previous night into their match

Meanwhile JR has been calling New Japan for around 2 years now and still can’t figure out which member of LIJ Bushi is (hint he’s the one in the mask)

Kelly has lapped JR so much in terms of New Japans English voice it’s embarrassing that AXS still use him

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD on Sun 15 Jul 2018, 1:54 am

Star ratings for the G1 after Night 1

Makabe v Yoshi Hashi ***1/2
Fale v Page **
Elgin v Evil ***3/4
Tanahashi v Suzuki ****
Okada v White ****1/4

Though he’s taken time to get into things since he return, between the Juice match in San Francisco & tonight Switchblade is a god damn superstar

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD on Mon 16 Jul 2018, 2:45 pm

Star ratings after night 2

Ishii v Yano ***1/4 (this was a shockingly good wrestling match)
Tama v Juice **1/2
Sanada v Goto ***3/4
Ibushi v ZSJr ****1/2
Omega v Naito ****3/4

The final 2 matches of this night are must watch, the main event is particularly incredible, Tama disappointed in his first showing after the big angle in the Cow Palace, hopefully he picks up as the tournament progresses

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD on Mon 16 Jul 2018, 9:46 pm

Star ratings after night 3

Elgin v Page ***1/2
Evil v Yoshi Hashi ***
Makabe v Suzuki ***1/2
Okada v Fale ***1/4
Tanahashi v White ***3/4

A fine but not great night, I think they might be going the Honma route with Yoshi Hashi, Still have Okada winning the block so I’m expecting him to come out of his slump if not in his next match, the match after

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD on Mon 16 Jul 2018, 9:52 pm

Top 5 matches through the first 3 nights

#5 Elgin v Evil ***3/4
#4 Tanahashi v Suzuki ****
#3 Okada v White ****1/4
#2 Ibushi v ZSJr ****1/2
#1 Omega v Naito ****3/4

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD on Fri 20 Jul 2018, 7:10 am

Star ratings for Night 4

Sanada v Tonga **
ZSJr v Yano ****
Juice v Ibushi ****
Ishii v Naito ****1/2
Omega v Goto ****

Another great night by B block (bar the firing squad cowpat), I am loving serious (or at least trying to be) wrestler Yano, Ibushi is an absolute nutcase

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD on Sun 22 Jul 2018, 12:49 pm

Star ratings for night 5

White v Elgin ***1/4
Suzuki v Yoshi Hashi ***
Evil v Makabe ***
Tanahashi v Fale ***
Okada v Page ****1/4

A breakout performance for Page who’s been really growing on my this year and has had an impressive outing so far in this G1, he’s got all the physical tools and presence plus he’s over as hell, Block A still lagging behind Block B in terms of quality matches but everything is entertaining aside from the Firing Squad stuff which I could do without

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD on Sun 22 Jul 2018, 4:50 pm

Star ratings for night 6

Ibushi v Yano ***1/2
ZSJr v Sanada ***1/2
Juice v Naito ****3/4
Omega v Tama **
Ishii v Goto *****

Another spectacular B block show, Ishii/Goto is my match of the tournament, just an absolute war that is Ishii’s trademark and why he’s my favourite wrestler of all time, Juice/Naito was also tremendous and the undercard matches were both fun in their unique ways with the comedy of the opener and the technical exchanges of the 2nd, only downside is the Firing Squad muck that ruined yet another match, their has to be another layer to it as I can’t comprehend where they go from here otherwise

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD on Wed 25 Jul 2018, 2:11 pm

Star ratings for night 7 after I finally caught up before we all kick off again tomorrow

Elgin v Yoshi Hashi ****
Fale v Evil *
Suzuki v White ***3/4
Tanahashi v Fale ***1/2
Okada v Makabe ***1/4

Another fair night from the A block, Elgin has really pushed himself out as one of the standout performers of the block given Okada and Tanahashi’s relativly underwhelming outings by their standards so far

White v Suzuki probably wasn’t as good mechanically as my rating suggests but I’m in love with White’s heel work and seeing him get his commipance against the daddy of Poopie in Suzuki was great

I’m just going to start rating all the Firing Squad stuff * until they do. something to change my mind, they’re probably not as bad as that Bell to bell but I’ve had it with the lazy DQ finishes

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD on Wed 25 Jul 2018, 2:16 pm

Top matches 5 through night 7

#5 Ishii v Naito ****1/2
#4 Ibushi v ZSJr ****1/2
#3 Juice v Naito ****3/4
#2 Omega v Naito ****3/4
#1 Ishii v Goto *****

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD on Fri 27 Jul 2018, 2:44 am

Star ratings for night 8

Goto v Yano **1/2
Naito v Tama ***3/4
Ishii v ZSJr ****1/2
Omega v Juice ****1/4
Ibushi v Sanada ****3/4

Another knockout night for B block, while it can sometimes show during the A shows the loading of this block really delivers awesome matches every time out

After saying that I was washing my hands of them the Tongans finally delivered something that while not clean and shenanigan free was creative and exciting, hopefully we have more like this from them for the rest of the tournament as opposed to the lazy and nonsensical DQs

Sanada & Ibushi was everything you’d want and expect from a 1st time meeting between these guys, both are absolutely exceptional at every facet of wrestling and it showed here, for the first time I’m really beginning to buy Sanada as a future main event player

Ishii/Zack & Omega/Juice were exactly what you’d expect from these pairings that always deliver in the ring

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD on Fri 27 Jul 2018, 1:35 pm

Star ratings for night 9

Elgin v Suzuki ***
Page v Evil ****
White v Fale *1/2
Tanahashi v Makabe ***
Okada v Yoshi Hashi ***1/4

Possibly the most lifeless A block show so far and one that I was looking forward to, Page/Evil was the only match I felt lived up to it’s potential, too much crowd brawling, a poor crowd, audio problems with Kevin & Rocky and the White/Fale match was the most egregious boring match I can remember in a G1 for some time, hopefully better things come tomorrow, trust this to be the show I actually caught live

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD on Tue 31 Jul 2018, 1:11 am

Star ratings for night 10

ZSJr v Tama **
Juice v Yano **1/2
Ibushi v Ishii *****
Naito v Goto ***1/2
Omega v Sanada ****

Another decent outing from the B block, Ishii/Ibushi was everything I hoped it would be, I might be a little biased given they are 2 of my favourite wrestlers but I thought it was incredible, just a war of attrition, there is no style of wrestling that Ibushi cannot do it seems like

Naito/Goto wasn’t bad but I expected more to be honest, the finish was particularly underwhelming, a real drop off for Naito who I thought had been tournament MVP through the opening nights but he’s dropping behind Ishii & Ibushi for me now

Everything else on the card was about what you’d expect quality wise, disappointed Yano seems to be making less effort with his clean wrestling gimmick that made him stand out from previous years and I’m losing interest in his matches as a result

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD on Tue 31 Jul 2018, 1:23 am

Top 10 matches through night 10

#10 Okada v White ****1/4
#9 Okada v Page ****1/4
#8 Ishii v ZSJr ****1/2
#7 Ishii v Naito ****1/2
#6 ZSJr v Ibushi ****1/2
#5 Juice v Naito ****3/4
#4 Omega v Naito ****3/4
#3 Ibushi v Sanada ****3/4
#2 Ishii v Ibushi *****
#1 Ishii v Goto *****

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD on Mon 08 Oct 2018, 10:30 am

The new member of LIJ is....

Spoiler:
Shingo Takagi

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky on Mon 08 Oct 2018, 12:22 pm

Dr Gregory House MD wrote:The new member of LIJ is....

Spoiler:
Shingo Takagi

Oh snap!

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD on Sun 06 Jan 2019, 1:09 am

Omega/Tanahashi was a stone cold classic

Rest of the show was very good too

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 17 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum