My thoughts on Lucha Underground

Go down

My thoughts on Lucha Underground

Post by nadeem2099 on Thu 25 Jun 2015, 9:31 pm

Just watched the second episode. I wasn't expecting the intergender brutality but it is a nice change from the other wrestling companies. There seems to be alot of emphasis on the big luchadores but i'm digging Mil Muertes and the 1000 deaths. I heard it does get better so i'll update this after every episode I watch.
nadeem2099

Back to top Go down

Re: My thoughts on Lucha Underground

Post by Prometheus on Thu 25 Jun 2015, 9:40 pm

I'm envious you are coming to this fresh. Your observation is kind Chavo, Blue Demon & Mil hardly are the Luchas moving like Puma and Mundo you may have expected.

But stick with it, Konnan is sorting out a visa problem and I think ep 3 will meet your satisfaction.
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by nadeem2099 on Fri 26 Jun 2015, 7:55 pm

Episode 3 was very good. It flew by. First match was entertaining with Mascarita winning against Loco. Chavo's attack afterwards was a bit weak though. The sit down interview he had with Vampiro was good aswell. I liked the Mil Muertes video package they showed. The main event was great. Fenix hit some cool spots and the reverse-ranna looked good. Even Drago and Pentagon Jr hit some cool moves. Very impressive. The ending left me wanting more with Cueto talking with a mystery guy.
nadeem2099

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo on Fri 26 Jun 2015, 8:00 pm

I glossed over your review thread Prom and it sounds pretty good, im going to wait till I get a good chunk of time from work and have a marathon.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus on Fri 26 Jun 2015, 8:03 pm

Thanks Samo. I'm still working on that when I get time. I'd say give it the 3 episodes that nadeem has and by then you'll have an idea if its for you or not. I hope it is Very Happy

Glad you are enjoying it nadeem. Lots of great development of those characters, new guys and some really good matches to come!
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by RinoGattuso on Fri 26 Jun 2015, 10:42 pm

Pentagon Jr is f*cking awesome.

RinoGattuso

Back to top Go down

Post by nadeem2099 on Sat 27 Jun 2015, 11:28 pm

Episode 4 was ok. They introduced a new wrestler called King Cuerno. His match against Drago was good. Drago won with an insane pinning manoeuvre out of nowhere. The Fenix vs Pentagon Junior was great aswell. P Jr got some good offence in but Fenix won. The main event was Big Rick (I hate this name lol) vs Mundo. The camera panned out midway through the match showing Puma getting beaten up by Ricks crew. Oddly the commentators didn't acknowledge it for some reason. Mundo wins by dq and gets sent through a table to end the show. All in all a good episode.
nadeem2099

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus on Sun 28 Jun 2015, 8:16 am

If I recall, Puma was beaten up in the locker room, so the commentators wouldn't have been privy to that.

The Dragon's Tail pin, is IMO the best looking pin in wrestling.
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by nadeem2099 on Mon 29 Jun 2015, 7:41 pm

Episode 5 was very entertaining. Opening was good and I liked the exchange between Konnan and Cueto. First match was Mil Muertes vs Drago which was ok. Mil is getting some good wins and won clean. King Cuerno came in after the match and hit his finisher on Drago, which was to be expected as his prey escaped him last week. The Mundo vignette was good aswell with him explaining why he joined LU. Then was the backstage segment with Catrina telling Cueto he can't keep the darkness locked away forever. Mascarita vs Son of havoc was next. Entertaining match with Masc once again winning. He has impressed me si far. Next up was Chavo vs Sexy star. Star was about to use the chair on Chavo but Pentagon Junior came and took it off her. Fenix arrives and saves star. Good match, which set up a probable tag match next week and star has to wait for her revenge. I liked the main event a lot. Puma got some good offence against Ryck but the numbers game finally caught up to him. Mundo comes in to help him and is about to hit Ryck with the chair but Ryck ducks it and Mundo hits Puma. You could see it coming a mile away but I'm sure Konnan will use this to turn Puma against Mundo next time. Finish comes when Ryck slams Puma through a table for the win. A very good episode.
nadeem2099

Back to top Go down

Post by Blade on Mon 29 Jun 2015, 8:07 pm

Your a few episode behind and it's got better and better with every episode watch them all and you will be amazed with the action.
Blade

http://dellsrangers.createaforum.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post by nadeem2099 on Mon 29 Jun 2015, 8:11 pm

I think I'm like 30 episodes behind Laugh

I'm trying to watch an episode a day so it will be about a month until I'm caught up with you lot.
nadeem2099

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus on Mon 29 Jun 2015, 8:16 pm

Did you take note of the mysterious Asian lady watching the Havoc / Masc match nadeem?

How awesome is Cueto? Before the series started and I heard they were going to have a heel owner in LU, it just sounded like such a cheap rip-off of WWE. But, who'd have guessed it, having a real actor doing some ummm acting really works.
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by nadeem2099 on Mon 29 Jun 2015, 8:25 pm

Yeah I noticed the woman prom.

Cueto has really impressed me. He gives of that vibe and his exchanges with Konnan have been really good so far.
nadeem2099

Back to top Go down

Post by nadeem2099 on Wed 01 Jul 2015, 9:37 pm

Episode 6 was a decent showing with it being more focused on the in ring action rather than promos/vignettes. It started of with Big Ryck signing an "exclusive contract" with LU and demanding his $100,000 signing bonus from Cueto, who agrees. First up is Son Of Havoc issuing an open challenge. He is supposedly not pleased with wrestling women and half men, cue Pimpinela Escarlata Laugh winning against Havoc. Backstage Mundo corners Cueto and demands his money, to which Cueto promises he will give him it if he let's him go. Mundo rips a mysterious key from Cueto's neck and says he taking it fir insurance. This key intrigues me. Next was Mil Muertes absolutely destroying a jobber, Famous B. That spear looked deadly. Another good showing fir Mil who looks unstoppable. The next match was Cuerno vs Drago in a rematch from 2 weeks ago. The mysterious lady showed up again and looked to be scouting Drago. The finish came when Cuerno hit his "Thrill of the hunt" finisher for the win in a good contest. Next Mundo came to the ring to demand Cueto give him his money, instead Ryck shows up and Mundo suicide dives on him and gives Cueto a count to 10 to come out but Konnan comes instead and says Mundo should give the money for hitting Puma last week. Puma arrives and helps Mundo beat up Ryck and then a massive brawl between Mundo and Puma ensues. Cueto cones out and books a triple threat ladder match between Ryck, Puma and Mundo with the money hung up in the air as a reward for whoever gets it next week. Next was the main event with Fenix and Star against Chavo and Pentagon Jr. A great match with Fenix and Pentagon showing good chemistry with each other again and Chavo being the wormy heel. Finish comes when Fenix and Star do some finishing moves on Pentagon and Chavo could have broken the pin but he chose not to. Pentagon's gonna be peed with him! Another great episode.
nadeem2099

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus on Wed 01 Jul 2015, 9:51 pm

Ladder match next then for you, cool.

Is Mil starting to grow on you a bit?
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by nadeem2099 on Wed 01 Jul 2015, 9:58 pm

Mil is impressing me. Catrina as his mouthpiece suits him well. Him not speaking makes him seem more mysterious and his undefeated streak continues. Are there any title belts as I haven't seen or heard about any so far from the episodes I have watched?
nadeem2099

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus on Wed 01 Jul 2015, 10:20 pm

As you asked (and you are so close to it) I'll give you the spoilers.

Episodes 7, 8 and 9 contain some really good fights. Of the matches on offer I gave 2 of them 4* and one 4.5*. I gave another 3.5* just because I don't really like the match type, but I have seen some call it the best of its type.

Anyway 8 and 9 lead up to the crowning of a champion.

Episode 22 then starts one of the best tournaments on TV for another title. Enjoy!
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by nadeem2099 on Wed 01 Jul 2015, 10:25 pm

Thanks Prom OK
nadeem2099

Back to top Go down

Post by nadeem2099 on Fri 03 Jul 2015, 7:19 pm

Episode 7 was great. The opening match was a new wrestler called Super Fly vs Cuerno. Cuerno got the clean win in a decent match. Next was a really well done video package for Pentagon Jr. Showed some samurai etc and I liked it. The next match was Chavo vs Fenix with Penta and Star in their corners. There was a cool spot when Fenix went for the Meteora and Chavo reversed it into a single leg boston crab. Chavo wins when Penta interferes and Chavo wins with the frog splash. Afterwards Star says Blue Demon's returning for his revenge. Good match. Next was a video package for an upcoming wrestler called Cage. He looked like a beast and it will be interesting to see how he fits in. Up next was the main event ladder match. I thoroughly enjoyed this match. The match was brutal as hell. My favourite spot was when Ryck gorilla press slammed Puma through a ladder and the ladder broke in half. Great stuff. There was a new member of Rycks crew who interfered but Mundo quickly ran him off and won the match. Afterwards Cueto came out and demanded Mundo give him his key back to which Mundo hit Cueto with and layed the key on top of him to end the show. Very good episode.
nadeem2099

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus on Fri 03 Jul 2015, 7:35 pm

Speaking personally when I got to this stage I was really getting impressed at how well LU are getting some of these guys over.  Leading into the ladder match, of course Mundo and Puma are big favourites anyway, but IMO this match pushed them even further over.  Coming into this, I was a bit like you about Big Ryck, but I think he found some great spots in this.  Then we have the vignettes, which you rightly point to as they make Cage look a beast before he's set foot in the ring and start to really make you take note of Pentagon Jr.  

I think when I started off watching LU I was very meh on Blue Demon Jr, Chavo, Mil and Sexy Star.  But I stuck with it and by this point I was really quite engaged in Puma, Mil, Mundo, Pentagon Jr, Fenix and Big Ryck.  And that's more wrestlers in 7 shows I think they've got over than WWE IMO can get over with 5 hours of TV every week.
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by nadeem2099 on Fri 03 Jul 2015, 7:47 pm

I did have a little chuckle at Ryck when he needed to use two ladders to climb up instead of one because he was afraid. The vignettes are what's impressed me the most. Every wrestler is given their chance to shine and there haven't been any bad matches yet (hope I don't jinx it lol)
nadeem2099

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD on Fri 03 Jul 2015, 9:28 pm

nadeem2099 wrote:I did have a little chuckle at Ryck when he needed to use two ladders to climb up instead of one because he was afraid. The vignettes are what's impressed me the most. Every wrestler is given their chance to shine and there haven't been any bad matches yet (hope I don't jinx it lol)

Just wait until you get to this week!!!!!!

I'm joking it was terrible

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus on Fri 03 Jul 2015, 9:57 pm

Not seen this week's yet. And some of the action last week can be attributed to the time of filming being just after the Perro death (cool touch by Pentagon I thought). I think we can say (without any spoilers for nadeem) that LU does peaks and troughs. IMO deliberately, so they don't have PPVs to build to, but I do think they build to certain story points by inserting one or two quieter episodes before them.

Anyway, we'll see what nadeem thinks as he goes along. He's definitely IMO just entering the first of their high peaks.
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by nadeem2099 on Mon 06 Jul 2015, 7:10 pm

WOW! Was episode 8 awesome. The opening 10 man battle royal was very good. It was different with it being a free for all and the first wrestler to get the pin is the winner. Everybody got some cool spots in and Fenix surprised me with the victory.  I was sure Puma was gonna win it but Fenix outlasted the others and won in a brilliant match.  Great way to open the show. The next battle royal was a bit less low key with it being a traditional over the top rope elimination style and the final 2 left were Mil and Mundo. Mundo got the win in another good match. Cueto came out and introduced us to a new title which I was expecting to be given to either Mil or Fenix. But another surprising plot development was when Cueto said the champion will be crowned on the first show of the new year in a  20 man battle royal. The winner of tonight's match between Mil and Fenix gets the last spot while the loser has to start first. Brilliant stipulation.  Mil wins in another good match and he looks unstoppable. Very good episode.
nadeem2099

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus on Mon 06 Jul 2015, 7:39 pm

Well, what are you waiting for? Get episode 9 started already Very Happy
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by nadeem2099 on Mon 06 Jul 2015, 8:44 pm

Probably watch episode 9 tomorrow prom Laugh This episode was way too awesome. It needs to sink in first.
nadeem2099

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus on Tue 07 Jul 2015, 4:32 pm

Okay there are some like really small spoilers in this. But I really, really don't think it is a big deal unless you are a complete purist and want everything to be new. If not, this is the interview that LU are showing tomorrow between Vampiro and Pentagon Jr. And this is why Pentagon Jr is one of the baddest asses in wrestling at the moment.

Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by nadeem2099 on Wed 08 Jul 2015, 9:03 pm

I'll hold off of watching that interview until I catch up prom.

But let's get to the matter at hand here..........Episode 9 was the best episode of LU so far imo. It only had one match but was it an awesome match. The 20 man elimination battle royal was so thrilling to watch! From Chavo wrecking wrestlers with his chair and Catrina getting knocked the fudge out, I loved it. I'm also glad that Puma won aswell as he is the main man here.
nadeem2099

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus on Wed 08 Jul 2015, 9:07 pm

This thread is awesome!

Can I tell you 1 thing? I rated episode 10 higher than 9! And seriously if anyone is interested in LU, but only ever would have 2.5 hours to watch it, just watch episodes 7-10, which are IMO some of the best hours of wrestling anyone has done.
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by nadeem2099 on Wed 08 Jul 2015, 9:16 pm

100% agree. I wouldn't consider myself a huge wrestling fan but these last couple of episodes have been absolutely flawless. Normally when I watch shows like Raw and TNA I fast forward all the boring bits but I have watched all of LU so far without touching the fast forward button. I can't believe I'm enjoying it this much.
nadeem2099

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus on Wed 08 Jul 2015, 9:19 pm

Just how good is Prince Puma? What I love about him is, I can't call what move he's going to do next. You watch a lot of wrestlers and you know he is setting himself up for a suplex, or kick or submission. Puma can transition so fast that he seems to be doing the move before I'm ready for it to happen. Amazing athlete, fantastic wrestler.
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by nadeem2099 on Wed 08 Jul 2015, 9:26 pm

He has the look aswell. He is still a mysterious character and Konnan built him up well in the first couple of episodes with his vignettes. And that 630 splash he does is epic!
nadeem2099

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus on Wed 08 Jul 2015, 9:31 pm

So glad you enjoying it. You know the best decision they made in that Battle Royal? That elimination wasn't by going over the top rope, or everyone would have eliminated themselves within about 2 minutes!
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by nadeem2099 on Wed 08 Jul 2015, 9:38 pm

Yeah so glad it wasn't like that. That's why LU > the rest. Although I do have a little qualm. Vampiro's commentary had been putting me off for a little while. When a wrestler does a strike attack like a punch in the face Vampiro is like "Hit him more! Punch him harder!" I think it might just be me but it's starting to annoy me a little lol.
nadeem2099

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus on Wed 08 Jul 2015, 9:45 pm

When LU started, I definitely thought Vampiro was a weak link. I've either got used to him or he's improved a lot since then. I like to think the latter. I am sure that I heard stories at one point that the early commentary had to be redone (a lot) simply because Vampiro was swearing too much!
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by nadeem2099 on Wed 08 Jul 2015, 10:19 pm

I think Striker is ok as a play by play commentator. Vampiro is just too hyper as a color commentator.
nadeem2099

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus on Thu 09 Jul 2015, 8:17 pm

Some gossip for you from the SCSA podcast:
- The producer on the SCSA podcast was also a producer on the season of Tough Enough with SCSA on. There was an issue getting wrestlers to commit to a show that might never have got off the ground and this producer (Eric Van Wagener) personally reached out to Son of Havoc, Ivelisse and another wrestler who has not appeared for you yet.
- Johnny Mundo signed his contract just 30 minutes before stepping in the ring.
- You remember episode 3 or 4, when Konnan says he's sorted out a little problem at the border and the new wrestlers are here now. That happened, Fenix, Drago & Pentagon Jr. were all stopped at the border 24 hours before taping.
- Because of the above, they had to rip up the scripts for the first 6 episodes. Puma / Mundo was a last minute replacement idea to what they had planned.
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by nadeem2099 on Mon 13 Jul 2015, 5:21 pm

Watched episodes 10,11 and 12 over the weekend. These episodes introduced us to Cage, and did he deliever! His in ring debut was solid and the four way elimination match was great. Really showcased Cage as s force to be reckoned with. Puma vs Fenix was the main event and the main focus was the aftermath attack by Cage. Those powerbombs look brutal.

Episode 11 saw Big Ryck get battered by the Crew. They even burnt out his eye for the love of god! Also Pentagon Jr talked about Chavo betraying him and there is someone who will help him reach the next level. Nice. This episode was mostly about ending the feud between Cuerno and Drago. It was a good match and the finish was different with Cuerno tying up Drago in the corner with a rope so he couldn't get up and beat the 10 count.

Episode 12. This episode surprised me with some of the results. Mil lost against Fenix by a rollup. I was not expecting that. It doesn't make Mil look any weak though as Fenix was getting destroyed against Mil though so a fluke win imo. I enjoyed the sit down interview between Vampiro and Puma/Konnan. Lots of tension between vamp and Konnan and it was great stuff. The main event between Cage and Puma was nice. Cage hit some big moves and I was sure it was over on some very close 3 counts. On the end Cage got himself DQ'd and beat up Konnan and tore the championship belt in half. At the end we saw the mysterious woman threaten Cueto. Hmm.
nadeem2099

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum