The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You win the lottery and want to buy a rugby club...

+20
LondonTiger
LordDowlais
Breadvan
Cumbrian
propdavid_london
George Carlin
Irish Londoner
beshocked
offload
SecretFly
formerly known as Sam
doctor_grey
exileray
Notch
Cardiff Dave
rodders
GavinDragon
Chunky Norwich
Steffan
Fanster
24 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

You win the lottery and want to buy a rugby club... Empty You win the lottery and want to buy a rugby club...

Post by Fanster Mon 29 Jun - 15:23

Due to a pretty hefty debate that has gone in many circles as many do, I thought it might be interesting to ask the question -

If you win 250 million on the lottery, and want to buy a club, which club would you buy and why?

I get some people would buy their clubs, regions, provinces for the love of it, and my heart would tell me to do the same, but considering the closest thing to a club I have is London Welsh i'm going to go another way.

I'd buy the Cardiff Blues, for the following reasons:

They have a potential fanbase, and are in a large city, so potential to take them into the elite competition and be confident of crowds would be there.

They would be at a low enough stock now to not have to overpay.

For the future I would resist the urge to buy top stars initially, focussing more on the group just beyond u20 age, identify the talented crop and then bring in half a dozen world class players to based the team around initially, with the hopes of replacing them in 3-5 seasons with more homegrown talent.

So what about you, who would you buy and what would you do?

Fanster

Back to top Go down

You win the lottery and want to buy a rugby club... Empty Re: You win the lottery and want to buy a rugby club...

Post by Steffan Mon 29 Jun - 16:17

Not sure how far 250 million goes nowadays in modern rugby but if I had an endless pot of money then I would:

* Buy Pontypridd RFC
* Refurbish Sardis Road
* Pay off the WRU and the RFU to join the English ranks
* Sign loads of players on stupid money
* Get into the Aviva Premiership plus qualify for Europe and then we can all live happily ever after

Bubbly

Steffan

Back to top Go down

You win the lottery and want to buy a rugby club... Empty Re: You win the lottery and want to buy a rugby club...

Post by Chunky Norwich Mon 29 Jun - 16:20

If I had an endless pot of money then I would:

* Buy Scarlets
* Get into the Aviva Premiership plus qualify for Europe and then we can all live happily ever after

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Fanster Mon 29 Jun - 16:22

Laugh

Fair play, I havn't laughed out loud too many times since joinign this forum but I just did

clap

Fanster

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 29 Jun - 16:31

250 million could also buy you around 4-5 years worth of tickets for Wales games as well

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Mon 29 Jun - 16:32

- Buy Dragons
- Buy Rodney Parade
- Buy Ebbw Vale and EXP
- Updrage EXP to a 12,000 seater stadium
- Rebrand to just Gwent Dragons
- play half games out of RP half out of EXP
- sign loads of players
- buy the blues and disband them ;-)

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 29 Jun - 16:35

I'd buy London Irish and then pay off the pro12 and RFU to bring them into the pro12 to replace Scarlets, poaching a few of their players in the process.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 29 Jun - 16:36

GavinDragon wrote:- buy the blues and disband them ;-)
You win the lottery and want to buy a rugby club... Z

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 29 Jun - 16:37

rodders wrote:I'd buy London Irish and then pay off the pro12 and RFU to bring them into the pro12
I take it you don't like busy places then Rodders?

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Mon 29 Jun - 16:43

its actually sad how many times I play this game in my head

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 29 Jun - 16:44

GavinDragon wrote:its actually sad how many times I play this game in my head
Same here mate

I also think about how strong East Wales and West Wales regions would be and what would the first team squads be etc. and the mad thing is this doesn't even require 250 million

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Fanster Mon 29 Jun - 17:55

Steffan wrote:
Same here mate

I also think about how strong East Wales and West Wales regions would be and what would the first team squads be etc. and the mad thing is this doesn't even require 250 million

I think the regions have proved one thing, the narrower your player pool, and the more you combine squads the greater short term gain and subsequent drop off in quality you will get.

I remember the Ospreys squad of a few seasons ago, let me know if I get anything wrong...

Jones Hibbard Jones
Evans AWJ
Thomas Jones Tipuric
Webb Biggar
Beck Bishop
Bowe Davies Williams

Will the Ospreys ever be able to assmeble a squad with that kind of quality again, especially after losing the likes of Hook, Henson, Byrne, James, Phillips etc...

Imagine where the Ospreys could have gone or been had they had the ability to withold their best players. In reality it's a little like that for all the regions, they all lose their very best and play swapsy with the leftover (No offence to Kristian Phillips etc)

Fanster

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 29 Jun - 18:04

Fanster wrote:I think the regions have proved one thing, the narrower your player pool, and the more you combine squads the greater short term gain and subsequent drop off in quality you will get
True although I would be in favour of squad rotation and trying to make the premiership beneath the regions as strong as possible

Wales is always going to lose players to England and France but this just helps better their game as Ryan Jones talks about with Faletau

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/33305158

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Fanster Mon 29 Jun - 18:11

Steffan wrote:
Fanster wrote:I think the regions have proved one thing, the narrower your player pool, and the more you combine squads the greater short term gain and subsequent drop off in quality you will get
True although I would be in favour of squad rotation and trying to make the premiership beneath the regions as strong as possible

Wales is always going to lose players to England and France but this just helps better their game as Ryan Jones talks about with Faletau

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/33305158

But some of the Welsh players returning from France for international duty were criticised for their physical state weren't they?

Are you then suggesting a pro prem behind 2 european competition East + West teams?

Fanster

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Mon 29 Jun - 18:25

Steffan wrote:Not sure how far 250 million goes nowadays in modern rugby but if I had an endless pot of money then I would:

* Buy Pontypridd RFC
* Refurbish Sardis Road

Bubbly

You could buy the whole of Ponty for that Steff and move it to another region. Uzbekistan for instance. Oo-rah!

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 29 Jun - 18:27

Fanster wrote:But some of the Welsh players returning from France for international duty were criticised for their physical state weren't they?
I hadn't read that. It should be down to the players as well though to make sure they stay fit

Fanster wrote:Are you then suggesting a pro prem behind 2 european competition East + West teams?
Nan that wouldn't be allowed as the 2 regions would not have qualified

A semi-pro prem with a lot more money would make be my idea while East and West play in the Rabo and Europe (if they qualify)

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 29 Jun - 18:39

I would give the money to the IRFU with the proviso it is to be used to outbid the French clubs if they approach Irish internationals.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Mon 29 Jun - 18:42

Agreed. Very Happy

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Fanster Mon 29 Jun - 18:42

Notch wrote:I would give the money to the IRFU with the proviso it is to be used to outbid the French clubs if they approach Irish anybodies internationals.

Thats where I thought you were going as I was reading that, what a let down to finally get to the end...

Fanster

Back to top Go down

Post by exileray Mon 29 Jun - 18:54

I would buy London irish as they are my team.
I would also give bath a few million so they can continue spending over the salary cap and totally ruining our game.

exileray

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Mon 29 Jun - 18:57

GavinDragon wrote:- Buy Dragons
- Buy Rodney Parade
- Buy Ebbw Vale and EXP
- Updrage EXP to a 12,000 seater stadium
- Rebrand to just Gwent Dragons
- play half games out of RP half out of EXP
- sign loads of players
- buy the blues and disband them ;-)

Right then.
I'd buy the Drags etc, call them Gladys, spend very little on players (no change there then) and insist the team kit is a little black and amber dress.
Off out to get my euromillions ticket now. Lookout.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 29 Jun - 19:51

Cardiff Dave wrote:spend very little on players (no change there then)
laughing

Cardiff Dave wrote:insist the team kit is a little black and amber dress
If I bought the Cardiff BLUES I would insist they play in PINK

Oh wait a second...

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Mon 29 Jun - 20:07

Steffan wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:spend very little on players (no change there then)
laughing

Cardiff Dave wrote:insist the team kit is a little black and amber dress
If I bought the Cardiff BLUES I would insist they play in PINK

Oh wait a second...

Fuschia actually.
Hey Ponty donned a shocking pink recently.
Here you go....put your shades on....
http://www.ponty.net/alternative-kit-launch-19-11-13

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue 30 Jun - 16:39

Fanster wrote:If you win 250 million on the lottery, and want to buy a club, which club would you buy and why?
Well, to start with, I presume you are proposing 250 million Pounds, not Euros.  With the EU currency about to be worth a tuppence, 250 million British Pounds will buy a lot.  

First I will buy Saracens and move them to the Falklands.  Just....because.
Next, I buy Bath just to keep their perma-tan owner off tv.
The I buy the entire Top 14 (remember the Euro will be nigh on worthless), and merge them with the Italian franchises.    

And speaking of the Euro, what about Munster, Leinster, and Connacht?  They will be playing in the 22 team B&I Aviva Premiership......

Last edited by doctor_grey on Tue 30 Jun - 17:45; edited 1 time in total

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 30 Jun - 17:10

Wow you guys have big plans. I'd got as far as building a top of the range pitch and training facilities with modest spectator stand for my local social rugby club before reading this lot.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 1 Jul - 10:28

I'd buy Toulon, Clermont and Saracens and for the first 7 years I'd enjoy one or other of them winning anything that's going. I'd even get involved in a bit of insider betting and bet against my own team when it met my own team!  I'd carefully amass all the marketing and merchandise (and highly dubious betting habit) profits and put them away each year in a nice safe in a special building called DO NOT OPEN TIL 2025.

After the fairy-tale 7 years, I'd put into operation Stage two of the project and proceed over the following three years to undo all the good work at all three outfits with some well crafted pre-planned 'shoddy' management Wink  I'd then 'sadly' be forced to sell all three at a bargain basement price and go home to lick my 'wounds'.

Only to emerge the following year as new 'benefactor' for Leinster, having built and donated a State of the Art, first-in-the-world, all-enclosed, altitude-pressure-settable training complex complete with four training fields (all individually altitude and humidity settable) ready for a 20 year domination of the gyme of club rugby at a Provinical level, innit.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Wed 1 Jul - 10:48

I'd buy Pontypool - the real Ponty!

The Park is one of the most attractive places on the planet to play and watch rugby and I'd build a new stand, refurbish everything, sign a few stars, and hold exhibition rugby matches so that every great touring team would visit. What a dream....

I don't think I'd need 250 million for Pontypool though, come to think about it I might have enough in my current account now !

Pooler, Pooler, Pooler..
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed 1 Jul - 11:10

I would want to be the saviour of Italian rugby. I would buy Treviso or Zebre.

Re-sign the best Italian players and turn Treviso or Zebre rugby into powerhouses.Bringing lowly Treviso or Zebre take on the big boys would be more satisfying. Of course young Italian players would be at the heart. Getting rugby to compete with football.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Londoner Wed 1 Jul - 11:36

I'd buy Bristol RFC and spend an absolute fortune on redeveloping the ground, getting in Premier League quality players on high wages and getting the best coaches available then get them into the Premiership.

What do you mean  - that won't work ? Whistle

Irish Londoner

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 1 Jul - 13:01

I wouldn't buy a club as such - I would demolish Glasgow's existing stadium and replace it with a brand new, state of the art 21,000 seater with underground parking, artificial pitch, a fully retractable roof and a bar that doesn't look like a scout hut.

My contractors would be the guys who built Suncorp in Brisbane (one of my favourite stadia ever - the sight lines are so good) or the  team which built the extraordinary new Levi's Stadium - new home of the San Francisco 49ers:
You win the lottery and want to buy a rugby club... 49ers_10

You win the lottery and want to buy a rugby club... 49ers_11

You win the lottery and want to buy a rugby club... 49ers_12

A guy can dream.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Wed 1 Jul - 13:27

I too have thought of this many times - I dont think that I would buy a club!
I would however purchace a box for life at the stoop - fully stocked bar and food for every game for myself and friends/family.
Maybe just about purchase a controling interest in the club and make suggestions for new players and areas we could strengthen - that sort of thing. We can all dream.....

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Wed 1 Jul - 13:33

I would buy Newcastle and heavily invest in the squad, get them playing a really attractive brand of running rugby. I would make improvements to the stadium, bring it up to a 12,000 capacity to begin with.

I would also vastly reduce the price of tickets for a couple of seasons, take the financial hit and hope that the prices and attractive rugby will bring in new fans.

I would also purchase buses and base them in major populations centres in the North East and Cumbria so that we could bus in as many potential fans as possible (would make this free to all supporters who pre purchase tickets).
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Wed 1 Jul - 13:47

Good idea GC. I'd be the mysterious benefactor behind the Ospreys new stadium, a lovely 18,500 seater along Swansea bay (with better variety of food and drink at a decent price), then bankroll some players to spur the region to league and euro cup glories. Re-design and open the Swansea to Mumbles tram with a designated stop for the ground. Reduce ticket prices and merchandise.
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 1 Jul - 14:27

I would use it to buy out the WRU, I would then put a service in every club in each region to be able to sell tickets for the region that represents them, and I would run  free buses from the clubs and it would do a round of the clubs picking up fans who want to get to the ground the region is playing at, but you can only get on that bus if you have a ticket to watch the game, regional season ticket holders from the area of the clubs in the scheme would also be eligible for the free bus. If only the regions themselves could arrange something like this.

I would then start a blue chip scheme and assess the regions on a yearly basis, if they did not get there houses in order I would put their regional licence up for tender, so if anybody else fancied a stab at being a region and the others were failing, we could give somebody else a go. The failed region, could then ply their trade in the Welsh prem until they won a a new regional licence at the expense of another who is failing.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 1 Jul - 14:42

laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 1 Jul - 15:04

Seeing as we're wandering off topic, in the interests of full disclosure - just prior to buying the world's best professional franchise stadium for the mighty Warriors of Glasgow, I would also pay whatever is necessary for Frieda Pinto, Ariana Grande and Blake Lively to sit and scratch me one evening.

Too much? Too much? My therapist says that I do that sometimes.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 1 Jul - 16:07

For George

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 1 Jul - 17:02

LondonTiger wrote:For George
You win the lottery and want to buy a rugby club... David_10
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Wed 1 Jul - 18:14

Buy a box at Ulster for life, and set up an underage club rugby competition with great funding to rival the Schools cup and one day replace it.

Then I would start my great work, the German rugby League is divided into four regional divisions of six teams each. (North, South, East and West)

I would have the four regional divisions create a team each of their best players, plus a large number of Pacific Islanders.

I would work with the unions of the Pacific Islands to Centrally contract their best players and place them with the regions, and make sure they are released for international duty.

after a few years I would request for Italy to place Zebra, Triviso and a Rome team with the 4 regions, and maybe expand from there.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Wed 1 Jul - 20:17

Hmm interesting idea...

Invest in (not buy) Kenfig Hill RFC and, help out Pyle and Porthcawl also. Sponsor them so they can become semi pro. Hug

I could never own a rugby club as I'd probably screw it up.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Wed 1 Jul - 21:35

LordDowlais wrote:I would use it to buy out the WRU, I would then put a service in every club in each region to be able to sell tickets for the region that represents them, and I would run  free buses from the clubs and it would do a round of the clubs picking up fans who want to get to the ground the region is playing at, but you can only get on that bus if you have a ticket to watch the game, regional season ticket holders from the area of the clubs in the scheme would also be eligible for the free bus. If only the regions themselves could arrange something like this.

Cardiff bloos tried something very similar when out in the sticks at Leckwith. IIRC only one club on one occasion took up the offer. That was the end of that idea.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Fanster Wed 1 Jul - 21:43

Cardiff Dave wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:I would use it to buy out the WRU, I would then put a service in every club in each region to be able to sell tickets for the region that represents them, and I would run  free buses from the clubs and it would do a round of the clubs picking up fans who want to get to the ground the region is playing at, but you can only get on that bus if you have a ticket to watch the game, regional season ticket holders from the area of the clubs in the scheme would also be eligible for the free bus. If only the regions themselves could arrange something like this.

Cardiff bloos tried something very similar when out in the sticks at Leckwith. IIRC only one club on one occasion took up the offer. That was the end of that idea.

You mean noone took the option of a free bus to a place they actively avoided going?

Lets not call it Leckwith, call it by it's dirty name, the CCS debacle.

Fanster

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Wed 1 Jul - 22:10

Fanster wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:

You mean noone took the option of a free bus to a place they actively avoided going?

I wouldn't say "they actively avoided going". More like "they" just weren't interested.
I prefer the more subtle "rugby decision" rather than "CCS debacle".

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Fanster Wed 1 Jul - 22:24

Cardiff Dave wrote:
Fanster wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:

I wouldn't say "they actively avoided going". More like "they" just weren't interested.

How many were there for Martyn Williams testimonial? I'd say they actively stayed away.

You can't say people weren't interested in showing their respect for a legend of Welsh rugby.

Fanster

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed 1 Jul - 22:30

Fanster wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:
Fanster wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:

How many were there for Martyn Williams testimonial? I'd say they actively stayed away.

You can't say people weren't interested in showing their respect for a legend of Welsh rugby.
The Martyn Williams testimonial was a disgrace after everything he has done for the club. I've seen players of much less accolade get better attendances for a testimonial in Ponty during the pre-"regional" period. Cardiff fans all over for you though

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Wed 1 Jul - 22:45

Fanster wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:
Fanster wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:

You're a twisty turny thing.
As you've changed the subject somewhat, Nugget wanted his testimonial at CAP I do believe.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Wed 1 Jul - 22:51

Steffan wrote:
Fanster wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:
Fanster wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:

The Martyn Williams testimonial was a disgrace after everything he has done for the club. I've seen players of much less accolade get better attendances for a testimonial in Ponty during the pre-"regional" period. Cardiff fans all over for you though

Oh dear.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed 1 Jul - 23:00

In all fairness Dave you ain't too bad for a Cardiff rugby toff Hug

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Fanster Wed 1 Jul - 23:36

Cardiff Dave wrote:
Fanster wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:
Fanster wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:

You're a twisty turny thing.
As you've changed the subject somewhat, Nugget wanted his testimonial at CAP I do believe.

Theres not much twisting there though, fans avoided the CCS to make a statement, poor old nugget coped the rough end of that. Had it been promo'd correctly they probably couldve put 30'000 in the MS don't you think?

Fanster

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed 1 Jul - 23:38

The Cardiff lot I know spend all their time saying how Ponty supporters will not travel 12 miles to watch the Blues yet then moaned when they had to go a 15 minute walk down the road

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next