The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wimbledon Day 4 - McHale to the chief. Might have to throw a Li-sicki.

+24
Johnyjeep
Josiah Maiestas
laverfan
shivfan
NickisBHAFC
Animalfan
MrInvisible
killer938
banbrotam
monty junior
bogbrush
temporary21
CaledonianCraig
lags72
Eyetoldyouso
AlciG
dummy_half
HM Murdock
biugo
kingraf
sirfredperry
LuvSports!
summerblues
JuliusHMarx
28 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Wimbledon Day 4 - McHale to the chief. Might have to throw a Li-sicki. Empty Wimbledon Day 4 - McHale to the chief. Might have to throw a Li-sicki.

Post by JuliusHMarx Wed 01 Jul 2015, 9:09 pm

Order of play

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/22713811

First up on centre court, McHale vs Lisicki. No, seriously.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Wimbledon Day 4 - McHale to the chief. Might have to throw a Li-sicki. Empty Re: Wimbledon Day 4 - McHale to the chief. Might have to throw a Li-sicki.

Post by lags72 Wed 01 Jul 2015, 9:11 pm

Will be most impressed if you can keep up this standard for every day of the fortnight JHM.

The challenge is on ......!!

lags72

Back to top Go down

Wimbledon Day 4 - McHale to the chief. Might have to throw a Li-sicki. Empty Re: Wimbledon Day 4 - McHale to the chief. Might have to throw a Li-sicki.

Post by temporary21 Wed 01 Jul 2015, 9:20 pm

Had one today.  Why couldn't chewbacca fly the falcon? Because Han-took-over.

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Wed 01 Jul 2015, 9:28 pm

Does anybody have an explanation, or even a vague theory, as to why McHale & Lisicki get the centre court?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Wed 01 Jul 2015, 9:35 pm

Those were my questions when I saw the OOP. My best guess is that it is because Lisicki is British.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Wed 01 Jul 2015, 10:55 pm

She's as British as Kim Jong Un.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Wed 01 Jul 2015, 10:58 pm

I know that, but even so that is the best I can think of.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Wed 01 Jul 2015, 11:02 pm

Speaking of British, how does one decide whether one is an Englishman/woman, a Scotsman/woman, a Welshman/woman etc.? Is it based on ethnicity? Say your grandparents were Scottish but they moved to London and your parents and yourself were born there. Are you still a Scot or are you then an Englishperson? Or is it a gray area and Scots should just not move to London to keep it simple?

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Wed 01 Jul 2015, 11:03 pm

Former finalist? But odd yes.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Thu 02 Jul 2015, 8:29 am

How about Querrey to upset Fed ? It's only two years since Fed was playing exhibition stuff against Hanescu in the first round, only to crash to Stakhovky in round two. Granted 2013 was a difficult year for Rog, but few would have seen him losing to Seppi in the Australian. No doubt come 5pm or so, all will be well. In that case, how about Brown surprising Rafa ?!

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 02 Jul 2015, 8:35 am

Very good Julius. I too will be impressed if you can keep this up the whole fortnight
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by biugo Thu 02 Jul 2015, 8:40 am

summerblues wrote:Speaking of British, how does one decide whether one is an Englishman/woman, a Scotsman/woman, a Welshman/woman etc.?  Is it based on ethnicity?  Say your grandparents were Scottish but they moved to London and your parents and yourself were born there.  Are you still a Scot or are you then an Englishperson?  Or is it a gray area and Scots should just not move to London to keep it simple?
Very Happy chuckles))
And I'm curious about the question too though.. maybe a question of family name, or accent?

biugo

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Thu 02 Jul 2015, 8:48 am

sfp - I think now that we have seen both Federer and Nadal crash early at Wimbledon, then anything is possible. Querrey and Brown will, rightly, consider themselves better equipped to do the job than Stakhovsky and Darcis .....so they will obviously fancy their chances.

Equally, I doubt anyone would be remotely surprised if Fedal come through with room to spare.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Thu 02 Jul 2015, 9:10 am

summerblues wrote:Speaking of British, how does one decide whether one is an Englishman/woman, a Scotsman/woman, a Welshman/woman etc.?  Is it based on ethnicity?  Say your grandparents were Scottish but they moved to London and your parents and yourself were born there.  Are you still a Scot or are you then an Englishperson?  Or is it a gray area and Scots should just not move to London to keep it simple?
In sporting terms, one is Scottish if:

a) the individual is born in Scotland
or
b) the individual is not good enough to represent the country they were born in but can find a Scottish person  anywhere in their family tree in the last 500 years.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 02 Jul 2015, 9:20 am

HM Murdoch wrote:
In sporting terms, one is Scottish if:

a) the individual is born in Scotland
or
b) the individual is not good enough to represent the country they were born in but can find a Scottish person  anywhere in their family tree in the last 500 years.

And can we point out the same applies to every other country in the sporting world. thumbsup
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Thu 02 Jul 2015, 9:57 am

summer

You've missed the other option - British.

At least that one has an easy definition. Murray is British as long as he wins and Scottish when he loses Wink

As a more serious response, to some extent it is a case of self-identification. I think most people would identify themselves as Welsh or Scottish either if they are born or are brought up there and with at least some family connection or if they are born in England but to Celtic parents.

Of course there are some who adopt the Irish-American approach to self-identity, where I think you are allowed to claim Irish ancestry if you like the colour green or have tried a glass of Guiness.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by AlciG Thu 02 Jul 2015, 10:12 am

If you've ever eaten haggis and/or you wear a kilt to your wedding you're Scottish

AlciG

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Thu 02 Jul 2015, 10:16 am

CaledonianCraig wrote:And can we point out the same applies to every other country in the sporting world. thumbsup
Craig, are you suggesting that significant parts of the England rugby and cricket teams may not be born and bred in England? That's an outrageous suggestion! Wink

The self-identification in USA strikes me as very odd.

Irish-American and Italian-American seem to be identities that dont fade with the passing of generations.

Yet you don't really hear of Engish-Americans or German-Americans, which I believe constitute the largest part of the population.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Eyetoldyouso Thu 02 Jul 2015, 10:33 am

I was born & bred in Scotland. My wife was born and bred in Wales. My children were born and bred in Manchester. They see themselves as English. Makes for a fun time during the 6 Nations.

Eyetoldyouso

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Thu 02 Jul 2015, 10:49 am

Oh dear .....summerblues .......look what you've started ! This is all getting far too heavy.

Ok, so we've established that Lisicki is definitely not British Wink

But she's on Centre today nonetheless. We need to show her lots of love.

(and I'm sure many of us would welcome the opportunity to show her lots of love.....)

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 02 Jul 2015, 10:51 am

HM Murdoch wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:And can we point out the same applies to every other country in the sporting world. thumbsup
Craig, are you suggesting that significant parts of the England rugby and cricket teams may not be born and bred in England? That's an outrageous suggestion! Wink

The self-identification in USA strikes me as very odd.

Irish-American and Italian-American seem to be identities that dont fade with the passing of generations.

Yet you don't really hear of Engish-Americans or German-Americans, which I believe constitute the largest part of the population.

German roots though or adopted Germans tend to be of surrounding countries. Even a few players born in Poland have and are now representing Germany.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 02 Jul 2015, 10:53 am

Also who is missing out on a Centre Court berth today because of Lisicki who merit it more? You will struggle to come up with a viable alternative.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Thu 02 Jul 2015, 11:17 am

The Woz and Kvitova and the two other viable matches for centre court. Theyve put them on other courts for the same reason as Muzz or Roger arent always centre court, its just to try and switch things up, anf give people without centre court tickets some good names... I think

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 02 Jul 2015, 11:40 am

Is anyone really gonna complain about Lisicki getting Prime Time? She's a former finalist!
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 02 Jul 2015, 12:17 pm

kingraf wrote:Is anyone really gonna complain about Lisicki getting Prime Time? She's a former finalist!

Precisely. thumbsup
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 02 Jul 2015, 12:35 pm

Ward off to a flyer against Jiri Vesely. He has an early break and leads 3-1.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Thu 02 Jul 2015, 12:42 pm

Not at all. I like Lisciki   So what's the odds of s big shock today? Browns a bit hot and cold. Querrey has the game but he's been throwing matches away when they're close. I don't know how dangerous hasse still is nowadays

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu 02 Jul 2015, 12:43 pm

Always a treat to see Sabine. Not a classic beauty like Ana but she has a certain something.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 02 Jul 2015, 12:45 pm

Legs gifted from the Norse Gods?
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 02 Jul 2015, 12:49 pm

James Ward takes the first set 6-2. Looking good. As for potential upsets - I don't see any happening on the show courts but won't rule out shocks elsewhere.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Thu 02 Jul 2015, 12:53 pm

Rather a lack of eye-catching matches on the women's side today, thanks to Halep and Bouchard's defeats in R1.

I'd probably have put Kvitova on Centre rather than Lisicki, but it isn't exactly an absurd decision. C-Woz would also have been a possible high profile player to have on Centre, and so far it looks like Kerber v Pavlyuchenkova is the most competitive match.

I'd be looking at Brown v Nadal, because their one previous meeting (Halle last year) was Dustin's best ever win. Just sung at everything and landed enough to take it. However, even though Rafa is some way below his best, I don't think he'll fall victim to the same thing twice.

Haase is a good grass court player, but I think his biggest limitation is an inability to close out for the win against really top players.

Querrey has such a big serve you'd have to give him a small chance, but Fed is still one of the best returners against these really big servers.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu 02 Jul 2015, 12:55 pm

kingraf wrote:Legs gifted from the Norse Gods?
You bet!

Be careful, that's all I'm saying....
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Thu 02 Jul 2015, 1:15 pm

bogbrush wrote:Always a treat to see Sabine. Not a classic beauty like Ana but she has a certain something.
Indeed.

In fact, I'd say she verges on being quite unattractive and yet she is still rather beautiful.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 02 Jul 2015, 1:22 pm

The shock of the day may be happening on No.8 Court with Bruno Paire leading No.20 seed Bautista Agu 6-2 6-4.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Thu 02 Jul 2015, 1:24 pm

A bigger shock than say Ward taking down Vesely?

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 02 Jul 2015, 1:27 pm

LuvSports! wrote:A bigger shock than say Ward taking down Vesely?

Point taken but it is another seed in danger of exiting.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 02 Jul 2015, 1:32 pm

Murray takes the first set in 20 minutes winning it 6-1. Would someone please send Haase to No.1 Court please?
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Thu 02 Jul 2015, 1:34 pm

Murray doing a fine job thumbsup

Meanwhile ....whilst not exactly a fan of the Daily Mail (ok, I admit to a macabre interest at times....not unlike rubbernecking on motorways) I could not agree more with this scathing review of the truly dreadful new Wimbledon evening show on BBC2  Rolling Eyes

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3146621/It-s-like-Gear-meets-Play-School-JAN-MOIR-savages-Wimbledon-s-new-highlights-s-driving-fans-mad.html

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Thu 02 Jul 2015, 1:40 pm

Ye it looks s***e Lags. 
Despite his faults, Inverdale for me was very good at what he did.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Thu 02 Jul 2015, 1:40 pm

I haven't seen it tbh. What does drive me mad is the main programme showing montages and interviews with who really cares and end up showing matches that have started already

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 02 Jul 2015, 1:46 pm

Ward takes the second set on a tie-break and leads 6-2 7-6. A win here would propel him further up the rankings into the high 80s I do believe.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 02 Jul 2015, 1:48 pm

Agut perhaps not done yet and takes the third set and trails Paire two sets to one.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Thu 02 Jul 2015, 2:00 pm

temporary21 wrote:I haven't seen it tbh. What does drive me mad is the main programme showing montages and interviews with who really cares and end up showing matches that have started already

Believe me ...... You ain't missing nothing ......!!

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 02 Jul 2015, 2:03 pm

Murray leads 6-1 6-1 after 50 minutes. Haase has been very disappointing whilst Murray has done enough and no more than that.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 02 Jul 2015, 2:12 pm

Vesely in control in the 3rd set and looks to have it in the bag leading 4-1. Agut looks set to win the 4th set and take it to a deciding set against Paire.

Last edited by CaledonianCraig on Thu 02 Jul 2015, 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 02 Jul 2015, 2:29 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:Vesely in control in the 5rd set and looks to have it in the bag leading 4-1. Agut looks set to win the 4th set and take it to a deciding set against Paire.

Bruno Paire? 5rd set?

You hitting the Pimms me old mucker? Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Thu 02 Jul 2015, 2:30 pm

Are we watching the Dutch broadcast here, all they do is talk about Haase.

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 02 Jul 2015, 2:31 pm

lags72 wrote:Murray doing a fine job  thumbsup

Meanwhile ....whilst not exactly a fan of the Daily Mail (ok, I admit to a macabre interest at times....not unlike rubbernecking on motorways) I could not agree more with this scathing review of the truly dreadful new Wimbledon evening show on BBC2  Rolling Eyes

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3146621/It-s-like-Gear-meets-Play-School-JAN-MOIR-savages-Wimbledon-s-new-highlights-s-driving-fans-mad.html

I liked the old format with Inverdale.

Seeing Balding makes me want to club her like an helpless seal! Is there no end to her lack of talent?!

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Thu 02 Jul 2015, 2:33 pm

lags72 wrote:Meanwhile ....whilst not exactly a fan of the Daily Mail (ok, I admit to a macabre interest at times....not unlike rubbernecking on motorways) I could not agree more with this scathing review of the truly dreadful new Wimbledon evening show on BBC2  Rolling Eyes

Laugh Laugh I thought it was just me!! I watched about 15 minutes, with my jaw on the floor, simply because I was mesmerised by how bad it was and couldn't move Laugh

I've never been a Balding fan and now I know why

I'm also not a fan of these sports programmes that have the fans stood around / in view just for decoration. At least on F1, they involve some of them

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Thu 02 Jul 2015, 2:37 pm

Yeah even the guardian has savaged it. They've taken a program supposed to be highlights for people who've been working. Instead they're spending it putting plasters on pictures , did they really do that!!

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next