The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wimbledon Day 6 - Young Winston (Kerber Enthusiasm)

+13
monty junior
kingraf
biugo
summerblues
Duty281
bogbrush
Born Slippy
banbrotam
CaledonianCraig
Aut0Gr4ph
LuvSports!
temporary21
JuliusHMarx
17 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Wimbledon Day 6 - Young Winston (Kerber Enthusiasm) - Page 2 Empty Wimbledon Day 6 - Young Winston (Kerber Enthusiasm)

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri 03 Jul 2015, 8:04 pm

First topic message reminder :

Order of play

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/22713811

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Wimbledon Day 6 - Young Winston (Kerber Enthusiasm) - Page 2 Empty Re: Wimbledon Day 6 - Young Winston (Kerber Enthusiasm)

Post by JuliusHMarx Sat 04 Jul 2015, 1:56 pm

temporary21 wrote:Is it Winston Churchill?

Yeah - there was a film (TV film?) called 'Young Winston' - played by Simon Ward - as in Gilles Simon & James Ward.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Wimbledon Day 6 - Young Winston (Kerber Enthusiasm) - Page 2 Empty Re: Wimbledon Day 6 - Young Winston (Kerber Enthusiasm)

Post by bogbrush Sat 04 Jul 2015, 1:58 pm

WTF was that return? Not the most perfect hit but......

Crazy.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Aut0Gr4ph Sat 04 Jul 2015, 2:00 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:Did anyone get the 'Young Winston' reference in the title?
No, too clever for me. Can you stick to nob jokes in future?

Aut0Gr4ph

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Sat 04 Jul 2015, 2:00 pm

Brown exits on a df Sad

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Sat 04 Jul 2015, 2:04 pm

Troicki goes through, a good comeback from his this year. Its Stronga vs Dr Ivo coming up

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Aut0Gr4ph Sat 04 Jul 2015, 2:06 pm

Ah, the dream is over. Troicki played a good match, but Dustin was too erratic. The nature of the beast, I suppose.

Good news for my dog, as I now have a window of opportunity for a walk. He got stitched up yesterday evening by Watson's dramatic comeback, so will be pleased.

Aut0Gr4ph

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sat 04 Jul 2015, 2:06 pm

Groth's not won enough points on return to have won a game yet & it's middle of 2nd set.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat 04 Jul 2015, 2:09 pm

Groth's game is all serve-orientated. At this level you need more than that to be successful.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Aut0Gr4ph Sat 04 Jul 2015, 2:10 pm

Just switched over to Roger and looks like he's on cruise control. Always expected this one to be routine. Thing about playing Roger is that you have to be able to pressure his serve. If he's holding comfortably, then it doesn't matter how dominant your serve is, he'll pick you off eventually.

Aut0Gr4ph

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat 04 Jul 2015, 2:13 pm

Aut0Gr4ph wrote:Just switched over to Roger and looks like he's on cruise control. Always expected this one to be routine. Thing about playing Roger is that you have to be able to pressure his serve. If he's holding comfortably, then it doesn't matter how dominant your serve is, he'll pick you off eventually.

Exactly. Groth has a great serve but his all-round game is nowhere compared to Roger's who has a mean serve as well. Like I said pre-tournament - you need an excellent serve and be excellent on returning serve etc to have hopes of success at Wimbledon.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Sat 04 Jul 2015, 2:16 pm

Groth could still break back guys!! If Roger just has 4 consecutive aneurysms

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Aut0Gr4ph Sat 04 Jul 2015, 2:32 pm

Jo-Ivo just getting underway, but I think I'll give that one a miss. Saw them play live a few years back and it was a thoroughly depressing experience. Jo, who I was rooting for, couldn't get a racquet on Ivo's serve and looked utterly dejected by the end. Luckily, the day was redeemed by a five set humdinger between Haas and Cilic.

Aut0Gr4ph

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 04 Jul 2015, 2:32 pm

Isner-Mahut part II coming up!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sat 04 Jul 2015, 2:39 pm

With limited internet access and no ability to see any matches yesterday/today, but so far at least it looks I have not missed any major shockers. Roger 2 sets up and Nole won comfortably. Sad for Dimi but I am slowly giving up on him. Glad Kyrgios beat Raonic. Kyrgios has far more long term (and even short term) potential.

I never expected Dustin to follow up his Rafa upset with a victory today but too bad he lost anyway. Brown plays grass court tennis the way it used to be played. Shame it is much harder to play like that these days.

Funny that when I saw the draw I figured the bottom half was loaded but now - at least in the early rounds - I find the top half more interesting to follow. That may change come QF and SF.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Aut0Gr4ph Sat 04 Jul 2015, 2:44 pm

bogbrush wrote:Groth's not won enough points on return to have won a game yet & it's middle of 2nd set.
So, even if Groth did manage to cling on until the 'lottery' of a tiebreak, the odds would still be massively stacked against him.

Aut0Gr4ph

Back to top Go down

Post by Aut0Gr4ph Sat 04 Jul 2015, 2:53 pm

summerblues wrote:
I never expected Dustin to follow up his Rafa upset with a victory today but too bad he lost anyway.  Brown plays grass court tennis the way it used to be played.  Shame it is much harder to play like that these days.
Really? I get the S&V bit, but, otherwise, I think Dustin's brand of tennis is pretty unique. Certainly don't recall the likes of Sampras and Edberg playing like that. Totally agree about the last bit though. His style should be more rewarded on grass.

Aut0Gr4ph

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat 04 Jul 2015, 2:57 pm

Aut0Gr4ph wrote:
summerblues wrote:
I never expected Dustin to follow up his Rafa upset with a victory today but too bad he lost anyway.  Brown plays grass court tennis the way it used to be played.  Shame it is much harder to play like that these days.
Really? I get the S&V bit, but, otherwise, I think Dustin's brand of tennis is pretty unique. Certainly don't recall the likes of Sampras and Edberg playing like that. Totally agree about the last bit though. His style should be more rewarded on grass.

Sorry I don't buy that. Ultimately, Brown was not robbed of the win by the tennis gods - he came up short due to inconsistencies in his game. Troicki deserved the win just as Brown deserved the win V Nadal. Sure he may have a unique game but ultimately it isn't doing much for him as a successful tennis player.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat 04 Jul 2015, 3:04 pm

The Doc takes the first set against Tsonga on a tie-break and Cilic has beaten Isner 12-10 in the fifth set.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by biugo Sat 04 Jul 2015, 3:09 pm

A DF from Fed gives Groth a mini break 4-3, they won all their own points before that

biugo

Back to top Go down

Post by biugo Sat 04 Jul 2015, 3:09 pm

and 3 set points Groth! it goes fast from a small DF.. Shocked

biugo

Back to top Go down

Post by Aut0Gr4ph Sat 04 Jul 2015, 3:10 pm

One big serve is all Groth needs.

Aut0Gr4ph

Back to top Go down

Post by biugo Sat 04 Jul 2015, 3:10 pm

Groth serving for his 3rd set point...

biugo

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Sat 04 Jul 2015, 3:10 pm

Set to Groth Sad

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Sat 04 Jul 2015, 3:11 pm

Oh for goodness sake! Talk about giving a set away, thats a set of energy he shouldnt have needed to use

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat 04 Jul 2015, 3:12 pm

Well I never saw that hiccup coming. Groth takes the third set on a tie-break. I still see Fed wrapping this up in four in just about two and a quarter hours.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by biugo Sat 04 Jul 2015, 3:12 pm

Set Grtoh. Fed had 2 BP in this set that he couldn't take. Good way to stay awake for the rest of the tournament though (can't see Groth winning, even if possible)

biugo

Back to top Go down

Post by Aut0Gr4ph Sat 04 Jul 2015, 3:12 pm

Wow, didn't see that coming. Rog looked a bit edgy in the breaker, but Groth played well and deserved the set.

Aut0Gr4ph

Back to top Go down

Post by biugo Sat 04 Jul 2015, 3:15 pm

For better news, Tsonga broke Ivo in the second set

biugo

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 04 Jul 2015, 3:15 pm

Lol. Federer wont lose though because even if Groth took a fourth set TB, he'd need to break Federer to win the match, something I'd give him no chance in devil of doing in the fifth.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sat 04 Jul 2015, 3:16 pm

Scoreboard watching.

I see Cilic wrapped up his match. Hopefully he can find some form and play well if he and Nole get to play in QF.

Also, uh oh, Fed dropping a set. I hope it will be no more than that.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Aut0Gr4ph Sat 04 Jul 2015, 3:16 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:
Aut0Gr4ph wrote:
summerblues wrote:

Sorry I don't buy that. Ultimately, Brown was not robbed of the win by the tennis gods - he came up short due to inconsistencies in his game. Troicki deserved the win just as Brown deserved the win V Nadal. Sure he may have a unique game but ultimately it isn't doing much for him as a successful tennis player.
No, you misunderstand me. My point was a more general one. Dustin was far too erratic today and didn't deserve the win. But you can't deny that, in modern conditions, it's much harder to employ a S&V strategy successfully, even on grass, and that, I think, is a shame.

Aut0Gr4ph

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat 04 Jul 2015, 3:22 pm

Aut0Gr4ph wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:
Aut0Gr4ph wrote:
summerblues wrote:

But you can't deny that, in modern conditions, it's much harder to employ a S&V strategy successfully, even on grass, and that, I think, is a shame.

Oh yes I definitely agree there. I have said before courts need speeding up but we are where we are so Dustin needs to adapt his game accordingly I suppose if he wants to become more consistent.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Aut0Gr4ph Sat 04 Jul 2015, 3:22 pm

Panic over. Would be amazed is Rog doesn't close out from here. Having said that, Groth is getting a bit more joy on return.

Aut0Gr4ph

Back to top Go down

Post by biugo Sat 04 Jul 2015, 3:27 pm

And Tsonga evens up the sets 1-1

biugo

Back to top Go down

Post by Aut0Gr4ph Sat 04 Jul 2015, 3:31 pm

What chance for Wardy against Popsicle? Almost certain that he will never get a better chance to reach 4th round of a slam.

Aut0Gr4ph

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Sat 04 Jul 2015, 3:35 pm

People can't still seriously think the courts need speeding up? They look lightning quick to me. Its no coincidence that the likes of Brown, Groth, Isner, Karlovic, Pospisil and Ward are all in the 3rd round. These courts give a good serve and volleyer a massive advantage compared to hard courts or grass. Any quicker and it would be an absolute joke. As it stands, a truly great returner can at least have the odd chance to grab a break.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Sat 04 Jul 2015, 3:37 pm

As for Brown, the problem is nothing to do with the courts. Its that, talented though he is, he plays a lot of very poor shots. He isn t good enough to do more than the odd shock result.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Sat 04 Jul 2015, 3:39 pm

Dreadful game by Ward to get broken.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by Aut0Gr4ph Sat 04 Jul 2015, 3:40 pm

biugo wrote:And Tsonga evens up the sets 1-1
Wonder if Murray cares much who gets through. Both are dangerous on grass, but Murray has a very good record against both too. He leads Ivo 5-0 and Jo 10-3, with two of those defeats coming a long time ago and the more recent one during Murray's Annus Horriblis last year. With Nadal out, it looks like the 4th round could be trickier for him than the quarters.

Aut0Gr4ph

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat 04 Jul 2015, 3:40 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:Well I never saw that hiccup coming. Groth takes the third set on a tie-break. I still see Fed wrapping this up in four in just about two and a quarter hours.

Well I was only a minute out. Wink
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Sat 04 Jul 2015, 3:41 pm

Inverdale and Cash are a dreadful combination in the commentary box.

Apparently Federer has a "real physical presence about him"  Shocked

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Sat 04 Jul 2015, 3:41 pm

Born Slippy wrote:People can't still seriously think the courts need speeding up? They look lightning quick to me. Its no coincidence that the likes of Brown, Groth, Isner, Karlovic, Pospisil and Ward are all in the 3rd round. These courts give a good serve and volleyer a massive advantage compared to hard courts or grass. Any quicker and it would be an absolute joke. As it stands, a truly great returner can at least have the odd chance to grab a break.

You seem to be watching a different game BS.

I went yesterday and it is not quick at all. Players have said as much. Dimi said the balls are quicker but the courts are slower than last year.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 04 Jul 2015, 3:42 pm

LuvSports! wrote:
Born Slippy wrote:People can't still seriously think the courts need speeding up? They look lightning quick to me. Its no coincidence that the likes of Brown, Groth, Isner, Karlovic, Pospisil and Ward are all in the 3rd round. These courts give a good serve and volleyer a massive advantage compared to hard courts or grass. Any quicker and it would be an absolute joke. As it stands, a truly great returner can at least have the odd chance to grab a break.

You seem to be watching a different game BS.

I went yesterday and it is not quick at all. Players have said as much. Dimi said the balls are quicker but the courts are slower than last year.

Agreed.

I wouldn't describe them as lightning quick!

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Sat 04 Jul 2015, 3:43 pm

Aut0Gr4ph wrote:
Wonder if Murray cares much who gets through. Both are dangerous on grass, but Murray has a very good record against both too. He leads Ivo 5-0 and Jo 10-3, with two of those defeats coming a long time ago and the more recent one during Murray's Annus Horriblis last year. With Nadal out, it looks like the 4th round could be trickier for him than the quarters.

I think he would prefer Tsonga. With Murray's return he always has a shot to break. Ivo's serve though is virtually unplayable.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by biugo Sat 04 Jul 2015, 3:43 pm

Wards got broken 5-3 Pospisil, first set

biugo

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Sat 04 Jul 2015, 3:45 pm

Nothing these days is lightning quick. That is long gone and hasn't been the case since the 90's probably

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Aut0Gr4ph Sat 04 Jul 2015, 3:48 pm

Well two of your list are seeded to get to the 3rd round anyway and Ward's section benefitted from Ferrer's withdrawal. If this lot were reaching the quarters, then I'd start listening. As it stands, there's a fair chance that pretty much all will be eliminated before round 4.

Aut0Gr4ph

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat 04 Jul 2015, 3:51 pm

Pospisil takes the first set 6-4. Ward now with it all to do.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Aut0Gr4ph Sat 04 Jul 2015, 3:59 pm

Born Slippy wrote:
Aut0Gr4ph wrote:

I think he would prefer Tsonga. With Murray's return he always has a shot to break. Ivo's serve though is virtually unplayable.
Think you're right that there's more of a lottery element to playing Ivo. At least with Tsonga you'd feel the match was more in Murray's hands, which, as a supporter, I definitely prefer.

Any chance for a Seppi upset today? He's a solid player and did beat Rog at the Oz Open this year. However, I don't think his serve is strong enough for him to pose a serious threat to Murray on grass. Unless, of course, Murray has an absolute shocker a la Dimi last year.

Aut0Gr4ph

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat 04 Jul 2015, 4:01 pm

Ward has woken up courtesy as much due to a shocker of a service game and Ward leads 3-0 in the second set.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next