The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wimbledon Day 9 - Anything is Pospisil. Maybe even a Cilic in time saves nine...match points

+29
Danny_1982
YvonneT
laverfan
Belovedluckyboy
Josiah Maiestas
Calder106
TRuffin
Mad for Chelsea
alfie
LuvSports!
R!skysports
monty junior
kingraf
Haddie-nuff
kemet
barrystar
Aut0Gr4ph
temporary21
Guest82
CaledonianCraig
Duty281
HM Murdock
FedsFan
biugo
bogbrush
sirfredperry
prostaff85
Born Slippy
JuliusHMarx
33 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Wimbledon Day 9 - Anything is Pospisil. Maybe even a Cilic in time saves nine...match points - Page 4 Empty Wimbledon Day 9 - Anything is Pospisil. Maybe even a Cilic in time saves nine...match points

Post by JuliusHMarx Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:19 am

First topic message reminder :

Order of play
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/22713811

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Wimbledon Day 9 - Anything is Pospisil. Maybe even a Cilic in time saves nine...match points - Page 4 Empty Re: Wimbledon Day 9 - Anything is Pospisil. Maybe even a Cilic in time saves nine...match points

Post by whocares Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:53 pm

biugo wrote:I'm rooting for Federer, but now I wish a Gasquet-Murray final!

In Winmby 2008 I think, Murray and Gasquet were the 2 upcoming tennis talents, both holding great expectations for their home nations. They met in R16 I think, where Gasquet got MPs in the 3rd set, only to lose in 5... From then on, Murray had the career he was promised while Gasquet kept having fights with his demons.

I want this Gasquet-Murray Final to end Gasquet's curse (with him winning) and fulfill what he's been told he would do since he was a little boy. Just for the story, and emotion, I would like it!

Otherwise, Federer taking #8

I do remember that game as if it was yesterday Biugo. Lots of choking and fist pumping that day Smile . Still like you said it was a defining moment in Murray career where he basically went up a level whereas the Gasquet of this world (can throw Tsonga in it as well) hardly made big progress. At least better late than never for Richard. His level of fitness did improve significantly and if he realises that playing 5m behind the base line is not the way for him then he might get some results. Dont think he stands a chance in this competition as it would mean beating Djokovic and then Murray or Fed in the same week! Getting to the final would already be a miracle.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Wimbledon Day 9 - Anything is Pospisil. Maybe even a Cilic in time saves nine...match points - Page 4 Empty Re: Wimbledon Day 9 - Anything is Pospisil. Maybe even a Cilic in time saves nine...match points

Post by Born Slippy Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:01 pm

I would be amazed if Fed v Murray was 1st. They will want that on at prime-time.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by Johnyjeep Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:44 pm

Born Slippy wrote:I would be amazed if Fed v Murray was 1st. They will want that on at prime-time.

Might they want him on first for longer recovery though?

Is there a commercial benefit to him going on in prime time?

Johnyjeep

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:51 pm

Bigger French ratings?
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:20 am

It's murray, and federer. They want them on when people are having dinner

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:38 am

Johnyjeep wrote:
Born Slippy wrote:I would be amazed if Fed v Murray was 1st. They will want that on at prime-time.

Might they want him on first for longer recovery though?

Is there a commercial benefit to him going on in prime time?

I don't think longer recovery matters much when there is a days rest anyway. Barring something freakish, the 2nd semi will still finish early enough to allow a full night's sleep. The host broadcaster tends to have control of scheduling and they will want the big viewing match on 2nd.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:46 am

Very hard to call Fed v Murray. Neither has really been tested at all (indeed bar the two matches he seemed to tank no-one other than Novak has come even vaguely close to beating Murray all year).

If Murray plays his best I think he will win - always feel that his serving/return can take matches out of Fed's hands in a way no other player save Rafa can. However, its a big slam match and Andy doesn't tend to bring his A-game to those unfortunately. There must also be a few scars from the O2 drubbing. There are also concerns over Andy's serve given the shoulder issue he seems to have.

Given all that, I give the slight edge to Roger. Going for Fed in 4.

Fantastic for Gasquet to make the SF but he isn't getting a set from Novak. The only worry for Novak is whether he will be undercooked for the tougher final ahead.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:44 am

One thing is sure for Murray - he cannot afford mental walkabouts otherwise he'll get punished. Also he MUST play aggressively and hopefully quits rolling his serves in.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:40 pm

Murray to beat federer I reckon. Federer will need to serve around 65-70% first serves I reckon to have a chance. Murray has such a strong return, federer will also need to take advantage of the Murray 2nd serve.

Murray to win in 4

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:48 pm

Hello gents what a great match Richie G one of my all time favorites had against Stanimal. Lot of people saying this is lucky for Novak. I agree and I don't. I think you always want the easier matchup to face in a semi so of course Dick Gasket provides that when compared to Stan. But I actually think Novak would have won if Stan got through. Stan to me is a much better player on slower surfaces than he is on grass or on quicker courts. For one thing slow courts help to neutralize some of the power of his opponents and provides him additional time on the ball to take his huge cuts and also to make the extreme grip changes he has on his shots. This is particularly true of his return. He needs added time on the return so that he can actually be aggressive with it. Stan becomes much more beatable if he is chipping every return off both sides because while he moves well he isn't a player who can just defend the whole match with speed to burn. That being said I think a great wimby will come to an end for Richie G. Novak is a nightmare matchup for him because Novak can get at Richie's second serve and Novak's own second delivery has very big kick on the ball to get up into Richie's one handed backhand and create problems. At most three or 4 sets.

Richie G. is actually better on grass than any other surface. He is an odd case because he is so good with his hands and his shots when he moves up into the court yet when he plays on hardcourt or clay he stands way back off the baseline. I think Grass forces him to move into the line, cut down the backswing of his shots, and flatten out his shots a bit. Oddly, he use this same strategy on hardcourts but he just doesn't and therefore doesn't have as much success on hardcourts. The grass also helps him in that it adds a little bite to his serve as he is a good precise server but can't dial up huge Mphs consistently. Play up on the baseline on hardcourts that is the message.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:55 pm

A lot of what you say is spot on socal but Gasquet is still yet to prove mentally he has what it takes to beat the very best players in slams whereas Stan has done that on numerous occasions.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:03 pm

Put it this way social my man. If novak goes first and he dispatches gasket as he likely will. He's in the drivers seat. The other two will go to war and roger in particular will have trying to finish it quickly in mind. Last year he strolled easily to the final but looked tired at the end

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:38 pm

@CC, true Gasquet just seems to wilt in the pressure situation so his very mentally tough approach to sets 4 and 5 was what I found surprising. You would expect Richard to go away after losing set 3 or after giving up his break lead in the fifth. But he bounced back. Gasquet used superior variety to out guile Wawrinka's big power. A lot of slice, frequent net approaches, drop shots etc. Such a good all around ball striker.

@Temp don't see Gasquet doing to Djokovic what he did to Wawrinka. I just have not seen him play a good match where he is competitive even against Novak for a long time. Look for Novak to make Richard move more than Stan by take the ball early and going up the line. Once you get Gasquet pulled wide and scrambling the opponent has the advantage big time.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:14 pm

Yes socal but Stan is not the same mental challenge as the very top players as you know. Look at Gasquet's record in those matches in slams V Murray, Nadal, Federer and Djokovic. Pretty pathetic compared to Stan who has beaten Murray, Federer and Djokovic in slams before if memory serves. Totally different players. Wawrinka has it mentally in those massive matches whereas Gasquet doesn't.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:46 pm

Yup Craig that is why I don't give Gasquet much of a chance in this semi. A great opportunity for Novak to get to the final. Regardless he still has a lot of work to do if he gets to the final because either Fed or Murrray on Grass will be a tough ask. But you knew he would most likely have to beat one or both those guys to lift the trophy so lets see how it works out.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:23 pm

Yes I'd agree. Hopefully, they will be two cracking semis.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:23 pm

Both? That would be a stunt in this draw!
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:26 pm

Gasket has zero chance. He's not had some resurgence, he's still the same guy who always falls miles short.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:27 am

BB, I agree that this isn't an upshift in Gasquet's level. But I was pretty impressed with his play against Wawrinka for once showing mental fortitude and fight in a five set match. He really played a beautiful match winning it with a lot of variety. But I don't see him having much of a chance in this semi at all.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4