The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wimbledon Day 11 - Richard With a Vengeance? Call the Kops-Jones or it'll all end in Spears.

+36
banbrotam
slashermcguirk
Aut0Gr4ph
Josiah Maiestas
Calder106
Born Slippy
coolpixel
Jahu
break_in_the_fifth
TRuffin
laverfan
Good Golly I'm Olly
kemet
Animalfan
Guest82
theslosty
HM Murdock
barrystar
CaledonianCraig
Haddie-nuff
LuvSports!
Belovedluckyboy
yloponom68
temporary21
dummy_half
bogbrush
FedsFan
rIck_dAgless
VTR
sirfredperry
Duty281
Jermaine2015
Danny_1982
kingraf
socal1976
JuliusHMarx
40 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Wimbledon Day 11 - Richard With a Vengeance? Call the Kops-Jones or it'll all end in Spears. Empty Wimbledon Day 11 - Richard With a Vengeance? Call the Kops-Jones or it'll all end in Spears.

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 09 Jul 2015, 7:42 pm

Order of play

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/22713811

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Wimbledon Day 11 - Richard With a Vengeance? Call the Kops-Jones or it'll all end in Spears. Empty Re: Wimbledon Day 11 - Richard With a Vengeance? Call the Kops-Jones or it'll all end in Spears.

Post by Guest Thu 09 Jul 2015, 8:42 pm

I think you have made the daily play thread your own. notworthy

The US Open is yours!

Back to top Go down

Wimbledon Day 11 - Richard With a Vengeance? Call the Kops-Jones or it'll all end in Spears. Empty Re: Wimbledon Day 11 - Richard With a Vengeance? Call the Kops-Jones or it'll all end in Spears.

Post by socal1976 Thu 09 Jul 2015, 9:48 pm

I think Murray takes Fed in 4 sets. I think Djokovic takes Gasquet in 3 sets maybe 4 if he decides to gift Richard a break here and there like he often does.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 09 Jul 2015, 9:54 pm

I've had a vision. Gasquet in four. Djokovic to have a bad day. Racquets kept just below room temperature. His water will arrive just above room temperature. Stefan will cry the entire night. Becker will still resemble a blowfish... And Gasquet will take advantage of the break in equilibrium to fashion a magnificent win. Federer will beat Muzza, and Gasquet will beat Federer.

kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Thu 09 Jul 2015, 10:03 pm

Novak in straights for sure. He will be delighted that he's facing Gasquet and not Stan.

The other semi I'm finding really difficult to call. Both in great form, both will be fairly fresh. Both will maul each other's second serve, so think it'll be whoever has the higher first serve percentage. Could go five.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by Jermaine2015 Thu 09 Jul 2015, 10:14 pm

Djokovic vs Gasquet will go 5 sets. Gasquet to play the match of his life and dethrone Djokovic.

Federer will outclass Murray in straight sets. Federer's got 15 grass court titles for a reason, he's the best ever on grass.

Jermaine2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 09 Jul 2015, 10:35 pm

Murray in four.
Djoko in three after a tough opening set.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri 10 Jul 2015, 8:23 am

Gasquet has been playing well, but I can't see him beating Djoko. Fed at anything near his best will still be too much for Andy.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Fri 10 Jul 2015, 9:13 am

Jermaine2015 wrote:Djokovic vs Gasquet will go 5 sets. Gasquet to play the match of his life and dethrone Djokovic.

Federer will outclass Murray in straight sets. Federer's got 15 grass court titles for a reason, he's the best ever on grass.

A lot of those titles are in Halle (which is pretty much an annual gift to Federer) or Wimbledon pre-2010. In short Federer is past his prime so those 15 titles don't count for that much at the moment. Murray will be a huge test for him, so Murray in four for me.

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by rIck_dAgless Fri 10 Jul 2015, 9:36 am

Just popped on to see the daily punnery, excellent work Jules...

rIck_dAgless
rik
rik

Back to top Go down

Post by FedsFan Fri 10 Jul 2015, 9:38 am

sirfredperry wrote:Gasquet has been playing well, but I can't see him beating Djoko. Fed at anything near his best will still be too much for Andy.

Question is whether Federer is anything near his best. In the recent past we have seen Federer cruise through rounds until he comes to the business end of a tournament only to put in a woeful performance. Rome is a recent example. In the final he he hardly was able to make an impact vs Djokovic despite a good performance in the previous rounds.

Pressure will be a big factor. Murray has won here now so it is less pressure for him. In the previous meeting with Fed it was the final and he was after his maiden slam so the pressure was on him. This time round Fed may have the pressure. He's 34 this year, time is running out and he does not go deep into slams now. Also lets not forget Andy is 6 year younger. That in itself gives him the edge in terms of fitness etc.

Another factor is the crowd. Will the crowd give Fed the lift and encouragement should he fall behind like 2-0 in sets to make a comeback? This is what Roddick had to say -

"It is usually different playing Andy here to anywhere else, but Roger is a lot more loved than any other player worldwide - he will split any crowd at any player's home venue and he deserves his status as an icon"

At this present moment, Murray is favourite and this looks to be his match. Saying that I hope Federer can take this one.

FedsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri 10 Jul 2015, 9:41 am

Djokovic is an easy three sets.

In the other it's all about Federer in my opinion. Generally in sport a good attacker beats a good defender, and the key to this match is Federer's attack against Murrays defence (I know they both do the other too, but that's how most of the points will work out). I think if Roger plays very well, he wins. If he doesn't he doesn't.

I suspect it's asking a bit too much over the long game format these days so I'm sad to say I think Murray will edge him out.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 10 Jul 2015, 9:46 am

Gasquet needs a Jesus/Lazarus like miracle to overcome Djokovic. I expect Novak to dismantle him in 3.

Murray and Federer you couldn't squeeze a fag paper between. 1st set is crucial. I think whoever takes it wins the match for me.

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri 10 Jul 2015, 10:19 am

Gasquet's best chance against Djoko probably disappeared when Nole had such difficulty overcoming Anderson. Those who win the big tourneys normally have at least one sticky match and the Anderson match was the big struggle for Djoko. You could see how much better he played, and looked, against Cilic.
I think for Andy's fans the main concern could be the serve. Still not happy with Andy's throw up for the first serve (FS). It's not high enough and too many of his FS end up in the net. Fed is likely to garner a lot more cheap points on his serve than Murray, who will have to work harder for his rewards. I remember how tired Andy was at the end of the 2012 Wimbledon final loss to Rog.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Fri 10 Jul 2015, 11:48 am

Agree with the consensus that Gasquet would have to play the match of his life to have a hope against Djokovic after the tough QF. I reckon it will be straight sets to Novak for the loss of about 10 games.

Fed v Andy I am really struggling to call. I think Roger has played the better tennis this tournament (although Andy has been decent to good), but RF over the last couple of seasons has struggled a bit against the other top players when they have been in decent form (I think we can discount anything from Andy last year, as his fitness and form was clearly lacking).

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri 10 Jul 2015, 12:24 pm

One problem with Federer / Murray is finding a decent recent history between the two.

The O2 match can be discounted as I think Murray was a bit overplayed after injury; in both of their AO matches one player wasn't "right", and if we go back to the Olympics Federer was coming off the back of a massive tie with JMDP (3 sets in theory, but more like 6+ sets worth of games). I almost think the last time they both went into a 5 set match on even basis was Wimbledon 2012, but that's so long ago I don't think it's relevant.

So in the end there's no really good guide in the head to head.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri 10 Jul 2015, 12:45 pm

Incidentally - no way that the Rog-Andy match was going to be first on today, with the BBC calling the shots on the scheduling (even though they always deny it).
The BBC will be hoping Gasquet puts up a good fight and that the second semi gets pushed into prime-time evening viewing, with the constant switching between BBC1 and BBC2 that alway defeats the best intentions of those trying to record a match.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Fri 10 Jul 2015, 1:05 pm

Federer in 4 I think... If it's a long one he's screwed

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri 10 Jul 2015, 1:21 pm

Sacre bleu - broken already.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by yloponom68 Fri 10 Jul 2015, 1:25 pm

Djoker already up a break - no way Richard is coming back from a deficit, so Djoker will bear down and keep him out of this match! Beating Wawrinka was a tremendous effort but unless Djoker implodes, don't see him breaking through today.

Most interesting match for me will be Muguruza v Serena....

Oh! Gasquet just broke back! OK here we go....

Muguruza - get the feeling she won't suffer from nerves unduly, think her attitude and contenance will serve her well. If she gets that serve going, and 1st strike tennis - may just be the match of the tournament as a whole....

Onwards....

yloponom68

Back to top Go down

Post by Belovedluckyboy Fri 10 Jul 2015, 1:25 pm

Beautiful BH winner from Gasquet!

Belovedluckyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Fri 10 Jul 2015, 1:28 pm

The difference in the murrederer match is the serve. Its the key today. Richards picked up. This is the best he can play though

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Belovedluckyboy Fri 10 Jul 2015, 1:32 pm

I don't think Novak is playing well this Wimbledon, surprising that Anderson took him to five sets. Gasquet may have a chance, depending on how his BH holds up.

Belovedluckyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 10 Jul 2015, 1:47 pm

Seems the grass narrows the otherwise enormous chasm between these two. protects Richard's serve a little more + allows his slice to really purchase.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Fri 10 Jul 2015, 1:50 pm

V good signs so far Reecchard!
Just got to hope his fh doesn't fall too short and has to serve well!

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Fri 10 Jul 2015, 1:52 pm

Oh what a bh winner from Richard

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 10 Jul 2015, 1:58 pm

Gasquet having his second serve work overtime
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 10 Jul 2015, 2:00 pm

C'mon Gassy win this TB!

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Fri 10 Jul 2015, 2:11 pm

Game, Set and Match to Djokovic you would have to think. Straight sets from here, Gasquet to win about 5 more games in the match

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 10 Jul 2015, 2:12 pm

Well it's not a match from here.

Big question is can Gasquet hang about long enough in time for me to make it home for the main event? chin

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Fri 10 Jul 2015, 2:14 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:Well it's not a match from here.

Big question is can Gasquet hang about long enough in time for me to make it home for the main event? chin

In short.....no. From here it will be done and dusted by no later than 3.30pm.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Fri 10 Jul 2015, 2:18 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:

Yup, all over now. Gasquet has played beautifully at times, and is still playing some exquisite stuff - he's a tougher nut to crack than he was, but he's not going to come back from a break and a set down vs. Djoko.

To think - watching stuff like this and hearing Wozniacki say that she thinks she deserves to play on a show Court........
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Fri 10 Jul 2015, 2:21 pm

Gasquet has fabulous talent but has gaping flaws in the mental department when it matters most in slam matches against the very best players.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 10 Jul 2015, 2:22 pm

It's such a sad state that someone plays a brutal 5-setter and you know the next match they are toast. It's depressing that more or less the forum knows that when Murray or Djokovic lurk next for an opponent involved in a war that they are done for.

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 10 Jul 2015, 2:35 pm

Gasquet could have had a walkover against Wawrinka, and he'd still be in this position.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Belovedluckyboy Fri 10 Jul 2015, 2:35 pm

Yeah a pity, Richard plays so beautifully with aggression, beats some tough opponents to get here and then...

I feel so sorry for Gasquet, he should have worked on his fitness much earlier during his career; together with his talent should have won something big by now. He started at the same time as Rafa, being the more promising one yet Rafa has 14 slams to show vs Gasquet's none. Im still hoping he gets one before his career is done.

Belovedluckyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Fri 10 Jul 2015, 2:42 pm

Gaskets game but just not enough.

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri 10 Jul 2015, 2:49 pm

Gasquet really needed to win that first set, having played really well. Now, two sets down, it's just a matter of time. The BBC will be annoyed that the Frenchman is not spinning it out a bit longer.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Fri 10 Jul 2015, 2:49 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:

The Fed/Murray warm-up will be over by 3.30pm
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Fri 10 Jul 2015, 2:52 pm

This is naff all to do with Gasquet's fitness it is the lack of mental strength that undoes him. He could have had a bye through to the semi and this match would be playing out in the same manner.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri 10 Jul 2015, 2:55 pm

Even though Gasquet is losing, it's astonishing just how many games he's getting, considering his first serve percentage has been so poor.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Fri 10 Jul 2015, 3:02 pm

Something that I'm finding increasingly irritating about watching Novak is how often he seems miserable on court. It impacts the whole match. There's just a negative vibe to it all.

This is a very functional performance. I'm not seeing anything that either Federer or Murray should be too threatened by.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 10 Jul 2015, 3:03 pm

Yep... Good thing he's 28, or we'd be wondering if he's a brat or a breath of fresh air.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Fri 10 Jul 2015, 3:06 pm

kingraf wrote:Yep... Good thing he's 28, or we'd be wondering if he's a brat or a breath of fresh air.
Kyrgios at least has the virtue of sometimes being amusing with his strops.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri 10 Jul 2015, 3:10 pm

HM Murdoch wrote:Something that I'm finding increasingly irritating about watching Novak is how often he seems miserable on court. It impacts the whole match. There's just a negative vibe to it all.
I always think he feels an expectation to play great all the time.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by theslosty Fri 10 Jul 2015, 3:11 pm

Is Gasquet genuinely that talented? Speaking from a purely technical perspective, his backhand is his only remarkable shot.
theslosty
theslosty

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Fri 10 Jul 2015, 3:20 pm

To be fair Novak isn't tanking and threatening to walk off court. There's anger through nerves and then there's petulance

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Fri 10 Jul 2015, 3:24 pm

theslosty wrote:Is Gasquet genuinely that talented? Speaking from a purely technical perspective, his backhand is his only remarkable shot.

I think he is very talented but his instincts are poor.
In this match he has shown how easily he can take the ball early yet he chooses to stand 2m behind the baseline.
He can flatten out his fh but most of the time it is loopy and v short (maybe due to his bh grip?). He has lovely touch and feel but his footwork isn't the best.
I think he is more talented than some grand slam winners though, just a bit of a mental midget.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 10 Jul 2015, 3:27 pm

Well, he's made it to the Wimbledon semi finals, has a career high of 7... So I'd say yeah, he's probably outrageously talented.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Fri 10 Jul 2015, 3:31 pm

I don't think you need to be outrageously talented, compared to your peers, to make a sf of a slam.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next