The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wimbledon Day 11 - Richard With a Vengeance? Call the Kops-Jones or it'll all end in Spears.

+36
banbrotam
slashermcguirk
Aut0Gr4ph
Josiah Maiestas
Calder106
Born Slippy
coolpixel
Jahu
break_in_the_fifth
TRuffin
laverfan
Good Golly I'm Olly
kemet
Animalfan
Guest82
theslosty
HM Murdock
barrystar
CaledonianCraig
Haddie-nuff
LuvSports!
Belovedluckyboy
yloponom68
temporary21
dummy_half
bogbrush
FedsFan
rIck_dAgless
VTR
sirfredperry
Duty281
Jermaine2015
Danny_1982
kingraf
socal1976
JuliusHMarx
40 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Wimbledon Day 11 - Richard With a Vengeance? Call the Kops-Jones or it'll all end in Spears. - Page 2 Empty Wimbledon Day 11 - Richard With a Vengeance? Call the Kops-Jones or it'll all end in Spears.

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:42 pm

First topic message reminder :

Order of play

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/22713811

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Wimbledon Day 11 - Richard With a Vengeance? Call the Kops-Jones or it'll all end in Spears. - Page 2 Empty Re: Wimbledon Day 11 - Richard With a Vengeance? Call the Kops-Jones or it'll all end in Spears.

Post by temporary21 Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:34 pm

Easy enough. He'll take some beating on sunday

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Wimbledon Day 11 - Richard With a Vengeance? Call the Kops-Jones or it'll all end in Spears. - Page 2 Empty Re: Wimbledon Day 11 - Richard With a Vengeance? Call the Kops-Jones or it'll all end in Spears.

Post by Guest Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:37 pm

As CC said, Gasquet hasn't got the stones mentally like so many others before and after him too.

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:37 pm

Well, it was the straight-set win most people predicted. Sure that most people would rather see Gasquet even when he is losing than some players when they are winning.
Now for the main event....

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:39 pm

Hands up those who want to see Federer/Djokovic for a 40th time or Murray and Djokovic for the 28th time?!

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:39 pm

A decent, solid performance from Novak, with some very good serving but overall nothing to really set the blood pumping.

I think both Roger and Andy have causes for optimism should they make the final.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:46 pm

Right how will this semi go? Depends a lot of a couple of things really. Andy's mindset - if he can avoid mental lapse/self-doubting then it enhances his chances. For Roger it will be if he can shorten the points/rallies and ground strokes firing - that is his road map to victory. The player who plays the most aggressive at key points wins. Heart says Andy. Head says Federer.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:48 pm

I don't think there's a sport where being rated as one of the top eight players in the world... TWICE isn't outrageously talented.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:48 pm

I don't think there's a sport where being rated as one of the top eight players in the world... TWICE isn't outrageously talented.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:49 pm

They might as well hand Djokovic the title now. He plays the earlier semi and meets virtually no resistance. Whoever wins out of Murray and Federer will have something taken out of them and less time to recover

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:51 pm

As long as Murray maintains a good percentage of first serves, and doesn't overdo the amount of drop shots, he's got this.

Murray in four.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:55 pm

kingraf wrote:I don't think there's a sport where being rated as one of the top eight players in the world... TWICE isn't outrageously talented.

Are Berdych? Ferrer? Tipsarevic?

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest82 Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:57 pm

Murray should win this easily enough. Perhaps in four.

I'm amazed that they are so close in the betting. Murray clear favourite for me.

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:58 pm

LuvSports! wrote:
kingraf wrote:I don't think there's a sport where being rated as one of the top eight players in the world... TWICE isn't outrageously talented.

Are Berdych? Ferrer? Tipsarevic?

Of course they are. thumbsup
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:59 pm

I'd say serve is the key in this one.

If Federer serves as well as he has done in recent weeks, he'll be tough to break.

At Andy's end, first serve % has to be high. I've thought his second serves have been poor in the last couple of games but he's got away with it because he hasn't been facing a strong returner.

I think if Andy takes the first, he becomes a strong favourite. If Roger takes the first, it's anyones.

I'm also enjoying being one of the very few people on this forum who can enjoy watching this match as a neutral. I hope all your nerves hold up!

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:01 pm

This must be the most ridiculous discussion ever. How many guys you know with a Backhand like Gasquet, and a 115mph serve? It's not rocket science. These guys are elite level athletes.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:03 pm

kingraf wrote:This must be the most ridiculous discussion ever.  How many guys you know with a Backhand like Gasquet, and a 115mph serve? It's not rocket science. These guys are elite level athletes.

I just don't agree that you have to be outrageously talented amongst your peers to be in the top 8. Simple.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Animalfan Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:04 pm

It's ridiculous how the BBC are trying to equate Murray's OG with Federer's W title in 2012.

I know which one either of the players would want.

Wimbledon, the greatest tournament in the world.

OG in tennis which no one cares about.

Animalfan

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:05 pm

Over a thousand paid professionals on the ATP, and you don't think it takes outrageous talent to make the top 1%.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:06 pm

Andy Roddick is doing a very good job as a commentator - if there is one minor criticism he could talk more slowly. But much as when he was a player he comes across as intelligent and generous with a self-deprecating sense of humour.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:07 pm

Animalfan wrote:It's ridiculous how the BBC are trying to equate Murray's OG with Federer's W title in 2012.

I know which one either of the players would want.

Wimbledon, the greatest tournament in the world.

OG in tennis which no one cares about.

It is there only two grass court meetings - that is why they look at them.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:07 pm

kingraf wrote:Over a thousand paid professionals on the ATP, and you don't think it takes outrageous talent to make the top 1%.

I think there are guys who are ranked much lower that are more talented.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by theslosty Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:09 pm

Murray should have the beating of Federer here - 4 sets I'd say. Federer has only beaten Murray on grass when the roof has been closed.
Murray should be able to neutralise Federer's serve and net play.
theslosty
theslosty

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:10 pm

Murray needs to win one of the first two sets - if he gets it into a 4th he starts to become favourite IMHO.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:20 pm

So why haven't these guys who are much lower shown any inclination to perform then? It's a strawman argument. There's always someone faster than Bolt, or who plays football better than Messi. We never see them, but they exist... lurking. Deciding to use their talents to chase criminals, or step on grapes in vineyards.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:24 pm

theslosty wrote:Murray should have the beating of Federer here - 4 sets I'd say. Federer has only beaten Murray on grass when the roof has been closed.
Murray should be able to neutralise Federer's serve and net play.

He won the 2nd set outdoors.
Not his fault he was better in the Wimby final to win under the roof in the last 2 sets.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by theslosty Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:32 pm

Of course not but Murray has the edge outdoors, particularly with a decent wind swirling.
theslosty
theslosty

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:35 pm

Federer missed half a chance then netting that forehand.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:44 pm

If Fed keeps serving like this, he'll win.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:47 pm

Something's got to give in the next 3 games......

Fed's serving is the better, Murray's rallying is the better.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:54 pm

The wrong shot Andy!! mad

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:55 pm

Gosh the margins are tight in these matches.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by kemet Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:56 pm

And Roger finds a way to break, although hi returning has been dreadful in the match thus far

kemet

Back to top Go down

Post by Animalfan Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:57 pm

Amazing set of tennis from Federer

Animalfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Animalfan Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:58 pm

Reminds me of the second set in their W final.

Federer producing the magic when required.

Animalfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:00 pm

Federer got to up the aggression and keep the foot down.

Andy you feel will dig in and hang on in not to lose.

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:02 pm

I think both were playing their best there.... Feds won Very Happy

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:06 pm

It's such a knife edge - Federer can't let his service drop because he's being out-rallied. Murray's serve is not quite dominant enough. Fed throws in 3 loose serves in a game and he's handed a foothold.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by kemet Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:06 pm

LuvSports! wrote:I think both were playing their best there.... Feds won Very Happy

There's a long way to go yet, an of course there is the customary Roger Walkabout that is sure to come...

kemet

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:07 pm

Course but I think that set dispels the belief that Murray's best is better.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:11 pm

If pick fed against almost everyone in a one set shoot out. Then again I would pick Sampras over anybody in a one tiebreak set.  Must keep his service up

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:14 pm

Why challenge that??!!

Never known a player to waste HE like he does!

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:14 pm

LuvSports! wrote:Course but I think that set dispels the belief that Murray's best is better.

On grass - yes, on outdoor hard not so sure at the moment
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:27 pm

3 serves right up the T.

Ridiculously and scarily good!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:28 pm

Think Andy might blink here Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:29 pm

This is grass court tennis like it used to be almost 20 years ago - it's all about the serve, and Fed's 1st serve is marginally better than Murray's first, and his second is better by a larger margin.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:32 pm

Get

out

of

Jail

Free
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:33 pm

Roger letting Andy off there. Especially at 15-40.

Nervy times.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:34 pm

That FH is becoming more powderpuff by the minute!

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:35 pm

Another let off....
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:37 pm

Roger can't keep forgiving these short balls!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next