The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boxing's shocking moments A-Z

+5
DuransHorse
Scottrf
Duty281
shenglong2015
ONETWOFOREVER
9 posters

Go down

Boxing's shocking moments A-Z Empty Boxing's shocking moments A-Z

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu 23 Jul 2015, 2:54 pm

A

for Atlas

Teddy Atlas.

Who can forget the Teddy show during Michael Moorer's H/W title bid against Evander Holyfield. Did Teddy know the camera was on him? LOL.

Had to revisit this episode in boxing because at the time I really felt sorry for Moorer. Having started slowly and looking un-interested Moorer looked a sorry sight in his corner between rounds. All the more compounded by the fact that his trainer Teddy Atlas seemed to be doing his best oscar worthy performance of a concerned corner man.

Atlas dusted off all the classics and a few new never before tried or replicated gems like

''If you fight like that this round don't bother coming back to this f**king corner'' - Moorer continued to fight like a corpse and returned back to his corner.

''There comes a time in every mans life when he chooses to either survive or win''

''Your blowing it son, your blowing it'' - Old Dundee classic there.

Teddy at one point decided to SIT on the stool when a surprised Moorer came back after another Holy mauling.

Needless to say Moorer got his act together and went on to win the latter part of the fight and win the H/W title for the first time but guess who got the limelight. Yep Teddy boy was the talk of the town and Moorer was pretty much in the back seat. What made things even worse was the defeat for Holyfield was blamed on a heart condition which was crazy. Moorer was never liked as champion and lost the title in his very next fight against a 45 year old George Forman.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Boxing's shocking moments A-Z Empty Re: Boxing's shocking moments A-Z

Post by shenglong2015 Thu 23 Jul 2015, 5:12 pm

B is for Butler

James Butler.

Real bad man, probably the most evil man to grace our sport.

He murderd Sam Kellerman & writer Sam Kellerman (brother of boxing analyst Max Kellerman), killed in a homicide but his body was not found until October 17. Butler was considered a suspect; he had been friends with Kellerman for ten years.

On October 20, Butler, accompanied by a lawyer, sought treatment for his alleged bipolar disorder.

Butler was arrested for the Kellerman slaying on October 27, and two days later, he pled not guilty to murder and arson. He was held on $1.25 million bail. Prosecutors claimed that Butler, the only suspect in the case, repeatedly struck Kellerman in the head with a hammer, then torched Kellerman's Hollywood, California apartment in an attempted cover-up.

On July 8, 2005, a Los Angeles judge ruled that there was sufficient evidence for Butler to stand trial on the charges of murder and arson.

On March 27, 2006, Butler pleaded guilty to voluntary manslaughter and arson in the 2004 death of Kellerman. On April 5, Butler was sentenced to 29 years and four months in prison by Superior Court Judge Michael Pastor, according to Deputy Public Defender Jack Keenan.

The suspected motive for the murder was that Kellerman was forcing Butler to move out of Kellerman's apartment. Butler, who was struggling to revive his career and suffering through a difficult relationship with his girlfriend and child, picked up a hammer and killed Kellerman and then torched his house.

I hink we ave our wnner of the most shocking A-Z.

shenglong2015

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong2015 Thu 23 Jul 2015, 5:20 pm

C is for "Chuck"

Chuck Wepner

In 1975, it was announced Wepner would challenge Muhammad Ali for the world's Heavyweight title. According to a Time magazine article, "In Stitches", Ali was guaranteed $1.5 million and Wepner signed for $100,000. This was considerably more than Wepner had ever earned and he therefore did not need any coaxing. Wepner spent eight weeks near the Catskill Mountains under the guidance of Al Braverman (trainer and noted cutman) and Bill Prezant (manager). Prezant prophesied that the fight would be a big surprise. This bout was the first time Wepner had been able to train full-time.The fight was held on March 24 at the Richfield Coliseum in Richfield, Ohio south of Cleveland. Before the fight, a reporter asked Wepner if he thought he could survive in the ring with the champion, to which Wepner allegedly answered, "I've been a survivor my whole life...if I survived the Marines, I can survive Ali."

In the ninth round Wepner knocked Ali down, though Ali later contended that Wepner had stepped on his foot, a claim confirmed by photos.Wepner went to his corner and said to his manager, "Al, start the car. We're going to the bank. We are millionaires." To which Wepner's manager replied, "You better turn around. He's getting up and he looks peed off."

In the remaining rounds, Ali decisively outboxed Wepner and opened up cuts above both Wepner's eyes and broke his nose. Wepner was far behind on the scorecards when Ali knocked him down with 19 seconds left in the 15th round. The referee counted to seven before calling a technical knockout

In 1976, Wepner fought professional wrestler André the Giant and lost by countout after Andre threw him out of the ring

This fight was the inspiration for the Rocky Movies, and Sly Stallone had to settle outside of court when Wepner tried to sue for the rights to his own life.

shenglong2015

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong2015 Thu 23 Jul 2015, 5:23 pm

D is for Dicky

Dicky Eklund

After Eklund's fighting career ended, he became the trainer of his half-brother, noted former boxer Micky Ward. Eklund was Ward's full-time trainer for 26 fights, from Ward's professional debut in 1985 until his first retirement in 1991. Three of Ward's post-retirement fights were voted fight of the year by The Ring. Eklund served as Ward's trainer until his second retirement, after his third fight with Arturo Gatti on June 7, 2003. Ward's biography, written by Bob Halloran and titled Irish Thunder: The Hard Life and Times of Micky Ward, discusses much of Eklund's life and career.

Eklund now works as a personal trainer and boxing coach in New England. He also travels the United States with Micky Ward, giving motivational speeches to college students.

In the 1980s, Eklund became addicted to crack cocaine, effectively ending his fighting career in 1985. To support his habit, he turned to crime. Eklund was sentenced to 10-to-15 years in prison for breaking and entering with intent to commit a felony, kidnapping, masked armed robbery, and several other crimes; he was paroled in 1999.

shenglong2015

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong2015 Thu 23 Jul 2015, 5:25 pm

E is for Eubank

Chris Eubanks Anti-War Activism!

On 14 October 2003, Eubank was intercepted by police whilst driving around Parliament Square, Westminster, in his truck, which displayed the message "TONY BLAIR! MILITARY OCCUPATION CAUSES TERRORISM". He completed a number of circuits before he was arrested. On 22 February 2007, Eubank was arrested outside Horse Guards Parade in Whitehall for a suspected breach of the peace after driving his truck through central London, which was emblazoned with a message condemning Tony Blair for sending Prince Harry to Iraq.The banner read "BLAIR – Don't send our young prince to your catastrophic illegal war, to make it look plausible!"

On 23 May 2007, he was charged with making an unlawful anti-war protest after parking his seven-tonne truck outside Downing Street. On 16 November he failed to turn up at court, so an arrest warrant was issued, and he was fined.

shenglong2015

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong2015 Thu 23 Jul 2015, 5:27 pm

F is for Froch

Carl Froch infront of 80,000 people!

On the eve of the biggest fight in boxing history, Carl Froch was given the chance to interview Floyd Mayweather. Mayweather saluted four-time world title winner Froch as "a hell of a champion" but it was Froch's interview which had boxing fans talking. Instead of asking Floyd about the fight, he spent most of the time talking about himself and how he knocked out George Groves at Wembley in front of 80,000 people!

Tut tut.

shenglong2015

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong2015 Thu 23 Jul 2015, 5:31 pm

G is for Groves

George Groves

In mid-2013 the IBF installed Groves as the mandatory challenger to titleholder Carl Froch, with a bout between them taking place on 23 November 2013 at the Phones4u Arena in Manchester; both Froch's IBF and WBA super middleweight titles were on the line. On 17 September, it was announced that Groves had parted ways with trainer Adam Booth. In the fight, Froch stopped Groves in the ninth round amidst controversial circumstances. Groves was ahead on all three judges' scorecards, having dropped the champion in the first round with a hard counter right hand. Many observers at ringside, including fellow boxers David Haye and Amir Khan, remarked that referee Howard Foster had stepped in too quickly during an exchange in which both fighters landed heavy punches. Given the controversial nature of the stoppage, there were immediate calls for a rematch.....

And the rest is history....

shenglong2015

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong2015 Thu 23 Jul 2015, 5:32 pm

H is for Haye

David Haye's sore wee toe!

Wladimir Klitschko versus David Haye was a heavyweight unification fight for the WBA, IBF, WBO and The Ring heavyweight titles, the fight taking place at the Imtech Arena, Hamburg, Germany on 2 July 2011 This was the only heavyweight unification fight since Wladimir Klitschko and Sultan Ibragimov fought back in 2008. It was then when Wladimir Klitschko beat Ibragimov and added his WBO title to his IBF title. Klitschko defeated Haye by a unanimous decision to become the unified WBA Super, IBF, WBO, and The Ring heavyweight champion. Haye had a broken toe that allegedly inhibited him from pushing off his back foot during the fight, and showed little or none of his usual explosiveness in the ring. The official scores were: 118-108, 117-109 & 116-110, which were all in favour of Klitschko....

People still mention the wee toe to this day.

shenglong2015

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong2015 Thu 23 Jul 2015, 5:35 pm

I is for IBF

IBF controversary with "man in hat"

Amir Khan lost his titles on a controversial points decision against Lamont Peterson, and Amir Khan's promoters Golden Boy had revealed that the 'mystery man' spotted ringside during his controversial defeat to Lamont Peterson was an IBF official.

Confusion had surrounded the identity of the man, whom video footage shows talking to WBA fight supervisor Michael Welsh as he appears to point out something on a scorecard.

Khan lost his IBF and WBA light-welterweight titles to Peterson on points in Washington DC.

It was highlighted that photos and video footage showing the presence of a man appearing to interfere with the WBA's supervisor and handling the scorecards......shady indeed.

shenglong2015

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong2015 Thu 23 Jul 2015, 5:37 pm

J is for Jonas

Natasha Jonas' early retirement!

Natasha Jonas, the first British woman to box at the Olympics, in London three years ago, has retired from the sport at 30 after a string of injuries.

The Liverpudlian with a smile that could light up a stadium, has dabbled in acting and TV work, and said on Tuesday: “I have no idea what I will do now but I do have a few interests outside of the sport. It will be nice to not have to get up and run at 6 o’clock every morning.

“Boxing is an extremely tough sport and very few people ever see the training and hard work that goes into it. After doing it for a long time, I decided that it was time to do something else. Being away from camp to recover from my recent injury has given me time to think and I came to the conclusion that I did not want to go back to the demands of full-time training.

“When I started boxing 10 years ago I was an overweight, unemployed scally from Toxteth and, if you’d have told me then that I would win a world championship medal and compete in front of 10,000 people at the Olympic Games, I would never have believed it.”

Jonas was a five-time national champion and, in July 2012, she created Olympic and British sporting history when she beat the American Quinatta Underwood in the first bout of the women’s competition. She lost in the quarter-final to the eventual gold medallist, Katie Taylor of Ireland, in a contest which registered the loudest crowd noise of any event at London 2012 at 113.7 decibels.

shenglong2015

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong2015 Thu 23 Jul 2015, 5:38 pm

K is for Kellie

Kellie Maloney!

Maloney was married for over 15 years to second wife Tracey; they have two daughters. Maloney has a daughter from her first marriage and is a supporter of Millwall Football Club. Maloney said in her first televised interview as an open trans woman that she and Tracey are now divorced, but that she has been "very supportive".

In August 2014, Maloney announced publicly that she is now known as Kellie, and is undergoing gender reassignment. Lennox Lewis was initially shocked at the news but expressed respect for Maloney's decision. On a radio interview she discussed her family's reaction with her mother Maureen.

Maloney had already received counselling, hormone therapy, and voice coaching. She had stated that final sex reassignment surgery was set for early 2015. In April 2015, Maloney announced that her gender reassignment was now complete.

shenglong2015

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu 23 Jul 2015, 5:39 pm

shenglong2015 wrote:G is for Groves

George Groves

In mid-2013 the IBF installed Groves as the mandatory challenger to titleholder Carl Froch, with a bout between them taking place on 23 November 2013 at the Phones4u Arena in Manchester; both Froch's IBF and WBA super middleweight titles were on the line. On 17 September, it was announced that Groves had parted ways with trainer Adam Booth. In the fight, Froch stopped Groves in the ninth round amidst controversial circumstances. Groves was ahead on all three judges' scorecards, having dropped the champion in the first round with a hard counter right hand. Many observers at ringside, including fellow boxers David Haye and Amir Khan, remarked that referee Howard Foster had stepped in too quickly during an exchange in which both fighters landed heavy punches. Given the controversial nature of the stoppage, there were immediate calls for a rematch.....

And the rest is history....

I was just about to write G for Andrew Golota and his dirty antics against Bowe in that fantastic fight they had but you sir are on fire.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong2015 Thu 23 Jul 2015, 5:42 pm

L is for Luis

Luis Resto

On June 16, 1983 Resto unexpectedly beat undefeated prospect Billy Collins, Jr. at Madison Square Garden in New York City in a 10-round unanimous decision. The fight was the undercard for a bout between Roberto Durán and Davey Moore.

However, when Collins' father and trainer, Billy, Sr., came to shake Resto's hand, he discovered that Resto's gloves felt thinner than normal. Screaming that he thought the gloves had no padding, Collins, Sr. demanded that the New York State Athletic Commission impound the gloves. An investigation revealed that someone had removed an ounce of padding from each of his gloves. Collins' eyes were swollen shut by the end of the 10th round, and the rest of his face was so badly swollen that it was impossible to believe a light puncher could have inflicted such damage.

Collins suffered a torn iris and permanently blurred vision, ending his career. He died only months later when he drove his car into a culvert while intoxicated. Some commentators have speculated that the loss of his livelihood drove him into a downward spiral. Collins' father has since speculated that his son committed suicide.

After a month's investigation, the New York State Boxing Commission determined that Resto's trainer, Panama Lewis, had removed the padding from Resto's gloves. It also determined that Resto should have known the gloves were illegal. The commission suspended Resto's boxing license for at least a year. Since most state boxing commissions honor sanctions from other states, this effectively banned Resto from boxing in the United States for the duration of the ban. The commission subsequently changed its rules to prevent anything like what happened to Collins from ever happening again. Resto's win was subsequently changed to a no contest.

In 1986, Lewis and Resto were both put on trial and found guilty of assault, criminal possession of a weapon (Resto's hands) and conspiracy. Prosecutors charged that Resto had to have known the gloves were illegal, and therefore the bout amounted to an illegal 10-round assault. Prosecutors also argued that the plot was centered around a large amount of money bet on Resto by a third party, who had met with Lewis prior to the fight. Resto served 2.5 years in prison.

After 15 years of trying to regain his license, he was finally allowed to work as a cornerman by New York State.[1] For many years, he has lived in an apartment near the gym where he once trained, and has worked with youngsters there as well.

For almost a quarter-century, Resto publicly denied knowing that Lewis had tampered with the gloves. However, in 2007, Resto apologized to Collins' widow, Andrea Collins-Nile, who attempted to sue the state of New York for not protecting her late husband. Resto also told Collins-Nile that in addition to removing padding from the gloves, Lewis soaked his hand wraps in plaster of Paris. This caused the wraps to harden into plaster casts similar to those used to set broken bones, which greatly—and illegally—increased Resto's punching power. The hand wraps have never been confiscated. Resto also disclosed that Lewis would break apart pills used to treat asthma and pour the medicine into his water bottles, giving Resto greater lung capacity in the later rounds of a fight. Resto also visited Collins' gravesite and said, "I'm sorry for what I did to you."[7] At a 2008 press conference, Resto said that he knew Lewis had taken the padding out of his gloves and had done so at least twice before. Resto said he didn't protest at the time even though he knew it was wrong. "At the time, I was young," he said. "I went along."

The 1983 incident and subsequent aftermath is covered in the HBO documentary Assault in the Ring. During this documentary, Resto appeared to confirm law enforcement's theory that the incident was rooted in large bets on him.

This is only some of Luis Resto's story, if you get a chance read about him some more, one hell of a bad man.

shenglong2015

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong2015 Thu 23 Jul 2015, 5:43 pm

M is for McClellan

Gerard McClellan

McClellan moved up in weight to challenge WBC super middleweight champion Nigel Benn in London on February 25, 1995. The fight was watched by an estimated 17 million people on television and 10,300 paying spectators.

In a savage bout, McClellan knocked Benn out of the ring in round one and scored another knockdown in round eight, but each time Benn was able to work his way back into the fight and kept landing hard power punches to the challenger. Referee Alfred Azaro was also roundly criticized for his officiating mistakes, which included impeding the challenger's progress when McClellan was trying to finish off the champion. McClellan took such a beating that he eventually slumped to one knee in round ten. He took the mandatory eight count, resumed boxing, but soon dropped to his knee for a second time and Alzaro counted him out. He returned to his corner, where he suddenly collapsed and was rushed to the hospital.

McClellan had emergency surgery to remove a blood clot from his brain. He spent eleven days in a coma and he was found to have suffered extensive brain damage. He lost his eyesight, the ability to walk unassisted and was reported as being 80 percent deaf. Sports Illustrated ran an article about the fight and its outcome one week after the fight. McClellan's family flew to be by his side, and later he was flown back to his home country. He has recently recovered some ability to walk, being helped by a cane, but he has not recovered his eyesight. In addition to being blind, his short-term memory was also profoundly affected. His three sisters, particularly Lisa McClellan, are responsible for his care. In a 2011 itv documentary, which originally screened the fight live in the uk, Lisa stated that Gerald is infact not deaf but has trouble with comprehension when spoken to.

shenglong2015

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu 23 Jul 2015, 5:44 pm

M

is for Mike Tyson who else.

ermmm where do we start LOL

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu 23 Jul 2015, 5:44 pm

f**K me shen

calm down.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong2015 Thu 23 Jul 2015, 5:45 pm

N is for Nunn

Michael Nunn

On August 6, 2002, at a hotel in his hometown of Davenport, Iowa, Nunn was arrested after paying an undercover agent $200 for one kilogram of cocaine, which had a street value of $24,000. In May 2003, He pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy to distribute cocaine. The following January, Nunn was sentenced to 292 months in federal prison by U.S. District Judge William Gritzer, who agreed to a higher sentencing guideline after considering Nunn's long history in drug trafficking and the likelihood he used a firearm during drug deals.

During the three-day sentencing hearing, prosecutors called witnesses who testified about Nunn's drug activity dating back to 1993. Nunn, who accepted responsibility for buying drugs in August 2002, denied his involvement in drug trafficking. He pointed out that several of the witnesses were in prison and could have their sentences reduced for providing testimony.

Nunn, who was defiant throughout the hearing, accused government lawyers of lying and scheming against him. "You guys haven't shown me nothing," Nunn said in his statement to the judge. "Where are your facts, Mr. Prosecutor?"

Nunn is currently incarcerated at the Federal Correctional Institution, Bastrop, a low-security federal prison in Texas, and is scheduled for release in 2024.

shenglong2015

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong2015 Thu 23 Jul 2015, 5:48 pm

O s for Owen

Johnny Owen

A Mexican slugger, Lupe Pintor had edged a controversial split decision over stable mate and long-time champion Carlos Zarate to lay claim to his WBC World Bantamweight title. Zarate retired in disgust, but Pintor proved to be a worthy successor and few rated Owen’s chances when they came together at the Grand Olympic Auditorium, Los Angeles on 19 September 1980.

Despite the difference in the fighters' frames, Owen held his own against the assertive champion. When the bell rang to signal the end of the eighth round, most observers had the Welshman ahead, but he was tiring fast and, in the ninth, suffered the first knockdown of his professional career. The momentum of the whole fight moved in the champion’s direction and from the tenth round Pintor was in the ascendency. Misfortune came with twenty five seconds of the twelfth round still to go. A final right sent Owen to the canvas and Pintor had retained his title. Following the knockout, Owen lay flat on his back for five minutes and he was then taken out. The promoters’ insurance paid about $94,000 in medical costs, but did not pay any death benefits to survivors.

Owen, whom it transpired had an unusually delicate skull, never regained consciousness and, despite extensive surgery, fell into a coma. He was pronounced dead on 4 November 1980, aged twenty-four.

Owen’s family, far from blaming the World Champion, telegraphed him shortly after their loss and encouraged him to go on fighting. Twenty years later, a memorial to Johnny Owen was unveiled in Merthyr Tydfil. At the request of the late fighter's father, the unveiling was performed by Lupe Pintor; the statue was sculpted by James Done.

shenglong2015

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong2015 Thu 23 Jul 2015, 5:49 pm

P is for Peterson

Lamont Peterson

Peterson defeated Ring No. 2 ranked Light Welterweight Amir Khan for the WBA and IBF Light Welterweight titles in Washington, DC on December 10, 2011 by split decision. There was some controversy over the refereeing, due to two point deductions against Khan for pushing Peterson off him. A rematch planned for May 19, 2012 was cancelled following Peterson's positive test for synthetic testosterone. Peterson, who had requested that Khan agree to drug screening prior to the fight, issued a statement saying that he had done nothing wrong and that his team "will vigorously pursue the truth with regards to this matter and continue to fight to protect this young man's character, credibility and all he has accomplished. Once all the facts have been reviewed we have no doubt that he will be vindicated."Peterson has said that he took synthetic testosterone as a valid treatment for a medical condition, though he did not notify the Nevada Athletic Commission. It is now unclear whether Peterson will keep hold of the WBA and IBF Light Welterweight titles as Peterson failed to come to the appeal held by Nevada Athletic Commission.

Peterson has been stripped of the WBA 140-pound title as a result of his failed pre-fight drug test. Amir Khan reinstated as WBA champion. The belt was on the line when Khan challenged WBC titleholder Danny Garcia on July 14 and lost via fourth round knockout

shenglong2015

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong2015 Thu 23 Jul 2015, 5:51 pm

Q is for Queensbury

Queensbury Rules

The boxing code was written by John Graham Chambers, a Welshman, and drafted in London in 1865, before being published in 1867 as "the Queensberry rules for the sport of boxing". This code of rules superseded the Revised London Prize Ring rules (1853), which had themselves replaced the original London Prize Ring rules (1743) of Jack Broughton. This version persuaded boxers that "you must not fight simply to win; no holds barred is not the way; you must win by the rules".

One early prize fighter who fought under Marquess of Queensberry rules was Jem Mace, former English heavyweight champion, who defeated Bill Davis in Virginia City, Nevada under these rules in 1876. In 1889, the Queensberry rules came into use in the United States and Canada.

The Original Rules:

1.To be a fair stand-up boxing match in a 24-foot ring, or as near that size as practicable.
2.No wrestling or hugging allowed.
3.The rounds to be of three minutes' duration, and one minute's time between rounds.
4.If either man falls through weakness or otherwise, he must get up unassisted, 10 seconds to be allowed him to do so, the other man meanwhile to return to his corner, and when the fallen man is on his legs the round is to be resumed and continued until the three minutes have expired. If one man fails to come to the scratch in the 10 seconds allowed, it shall be in the power of the referee to give his award in favour of the other man.
5.A man hanging on the ropes in a helpless state, with his toes off the ground, shall be considered down.
6.No seconds or any other person to be allowed in the ring during the rounds.
7.Should the contest be stopped by any unavoidable interference, the referee to name the time and place as soon as possible for finishing the contest; so that the match must be won and lost, unless the backers of both men agree to draw the stakes.
8.The gloves to be fair-sized boxing gloves of the best quality and new.
9.Should a glove burst, or come off, it must be replaced to the referee's satisfaction.
10.A man on one knee is considered down and if struck is entitled to the stakes.
11.That no shoes or boots with spikes or sprigs be allowed.
12.The contest in all other respects to be governed by revised London Prize Ring Rules.

Has it changed that much?

shenglong2015

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong2015 Thu 23 Jul 2015, 5:52 pm

R is for Rumble

Rumble in the Jungle

The Rumble in the Jungle was a historic boxing event in 1974 in Kinshasa, Zaïre (now Democratic Republic of the Congo). Held at the 20th of May Stadium on the night of October 30, 1974 (4:00 am), it pitted the undefeated world heavyweight champion George Foreman against challenger Muhammad Ali, a former heavyweight champion. Ali won by knockout, putting Foreman down just before the end of the eighth round. It has been called "arguably the greatest sporting event of the 20th century".

Attendance was about 60,000.

shenglong2015

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong2015 Thu 23 Jul 2015, 5:54 pm

S is for Stevenson

Adonis Stevenson

In 2012, in response to questioning at a press conference before a fight, Stevenson admitted to serving jail time in Bordeaux, Quebec on charges of managing prostitutes, assault, and making threats. Stevenson served four years in prison for these crimes and crimes that took place while in prison, and was released in 2001.

shenglong2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 23 Jul 2015, 5:55 pm

What's the point of all this copy and pasting?

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong2015 Thu 23 Jul 2015, 5:56 pm

T is for Tyson

Iron Mike Tyson

Tyson was arrested in July 1991 for the r*** of 18-year-old Desiree Washington, Miss Black Rhode Island, in an Indianapolis hotel room. Tyson's r*** trial took place in the Indianapolis courthouse from January 26, 1992 to February 10, 1992.

Desiree Washington testified that she received a phone call from Tyson at 1:36 am on July 19, 1991 inviting her to a party. Having joined Tyson in his limousine, Washington testified that Tyson made sexual advances towards her. She testified that upon arriving at his hotel room, Tyson pinned her down on his bed and raped her despite her pleas to stop. She ran out of the room and asked Tyson's chauffeur to drive her back to her hotel.[citation needed] Partial corroboration of Washington's story came via testimony from Tyson's chauffeur, Virginia Foster, who confirmed Desiree Washington's state of shock. Further testimony came from Thomas Richardson, the emergency room physician who examined Washington more than 24 hours after the incident and confirmed that Washington's physical condition was consistent with r***.

Under lead defense lawyer Vincent J. Fuller's direct examination, Tyson claimed that everything had taken place with Washington's full cooperation and he claimed not to have forced himself upon her. When he was cross-examined by lead prosecutor Gregory Garrison, Tyson denied claims that he had misled Washington and insisted that she wanted to have sex with him. Because of Tyson's hostile and defensive responses to the questions during cross-examination, some have speculated that his behavior made him unlikable to the jury who saw him as brutish and arrogant. Tyson was convicted on the r*** charge on February 10, 1992 after the jury deliberated for nearly 10 hours.

Alan Dershowitz, acting as Tyson's counsel, filed an appeal urging error of law in the Court's exclusion of evidence of the victim's past sexual conduct, the exclusion of three potential defense witnesses, and the lack of a jury instruction on honest and reasonable mistake of fact The Indiana Court of Appeals ruled against Tyson in a 2–1 vote.

On March 26, 1992, Tyson was sentenced to six years in prison followed by four years on probation. He was assigned to the Indiana Youth Center (now the Plainfield Correctional Facility) in April 1992, and he was released in March 1995 after serving three years. During his incarceration, Tyson converted to Islam.

shenglong2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 23 Jul 2015, 6:10 pm

I is for infringement.

Copyright infringement.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by DuransHorse Thu 23 Jul 2015, 6:22 pm

Scottrf wrote:I is for infringement.

Copyright infringement.

Laugh

DuransHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Thu 23 Jul 2015, 6:27 pm

Has Sheng just ousted himself as a ONETWO alias?

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Thu 23 Jul 2015, 6:47 pm

You could at least put the reference in sheng.

Check out Owens Biography 'The Big If' for a look at how it all came to be and the problems leading up to and after the fight. Cracking stuff and my favourite Autobiography.

Assault in the ring is a must watch for anyone, cracking documentary and a proper look into the underside of boxing. (Also if your an idiot that believes plaster on your wraps isn't that bad an idea and might actually be safer)

P is for Parker or Fat Rick. Tried to rig the heavyweights to get the next white hope in the form of Mark Gastineux (spelling) ended up drugging Tim Anderson in their return fight which caused irreparable damage and ended up with Tim shooting Parker dead a few years down the line. Shocking story and all details can be found in Day of the Locust.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong2015 Thu 23 Jul 2015, 6:49 pm

I never claimed to write any of this stuff.

Its mostly from Wiki, simply stating my A-Z and why?

Didnt know we had to be Colin Hart to make comments.

shenglong2015

Back to top Go down

Post by DuransHorse Thu 23 Jul 2015, 6:53 pm

shenglong2015 wrote:I never claimed to write any of this stuff.

And there was me about to storm into our CEO's office and demand that shenglong2015 be employed under the new role of SuperPA with Strongy type salary attached.

My reason? He types 110 words a minutes goddamit!!!

DuransHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Thu 23 Jul 2015, 7:00 pm

B is for Buchanon,

When Ken went and won the world championship for the 1st time, he arrived home expecting a hero's welcome in Scotland, unfortunately this was not the case and the most he got was a few lines in the local papers which unfuriated him, this was different on his defence as the whole of Scotland got behind him.
He was also incredibly upset by the manor in which he was beaten by Duran and constantly chased a rematch even into his retirement and at around 50 (I believe) he went over to America searching for him.

Taken from Buchanons autobiography (all spelling mistakes etc are mine)

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong2015 Thu 23 Jul 2015, 7:02 pm

DuransHorse wrote:
shenglong2015 wrote:I never claimed to write any of this stuff.

And there was me about to storm into our CEO's office and demand that shenglong2015 be employed under the new role of SuperPA with Strongy type salary attached.

My reason?  He types 110 words a minutes goddamit!!!

lol!!!

Just wanted to write my A-Z and why it merited a "shocking moment"

Your lucky I cam off my lunch hour! Was gonna complete U through to Z....

shenglong2015

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Thu 23 Jul 2015, 11:08 pm

Thanks for putting this together shenglong, it's a good read.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong2015 Fri 24 Jul 2015, 11:38 am

Cheers Fingers mate, at least some appreciate my get up.

shenglong2015

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Fri 24 Jul 2015, 12:40 pm

Good read Sheng, although it'd better if it was your take on these events not just a copy and paste job from Wikipeidia Wink

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down