The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How far can Nicky Blackwell go?

3 posters

Go down

How far can Nicky Blackwell go? Empty How far can Nicky Blackwell go?

Post by Happytravelling Sun 02 Aug 2015, 5:24 pm

I know I've stolen this from boxing24 but it's an interesting one for me.

I saw his early fights and really thought he had potential.

He took the Murray fight at the last minute, had no amateur career and less than a dozen pro, and really seemed to show some raw talent. At the time I thought, with a good trainer he really could develop into a good EU to world level contender.

I know he's still only 24 and had only another half dozen more fights but I'm a bit disappointed he seems to have decided he will be a 'strongman' and not improve his technique etc.

I like his attitude and think he still has the raw talent, so think he can improve considerably. but if he continues to believe he can 'Outman' opponents he will find a ceiling at euro level.

How far do you all think he can go?

Happytravelling

Back to top Go down

How far can Nicky Blackwell go? Empty Re: How far can Nicky Blackwell go?

Post by wheelchair1991 Sun 02 Aug 2015, 7:30 pm

Hopefully he can win the British outright, maybe European level but nothing beyond that

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by Happytravelling Sun 02 Aug 2015, 8:57 pm

I hoped he might get a bit further than that but I think you're right.

Shame, I like his attitude and he seems humble enough to take things on board but he needs to improve his movement and technique.

Happytravelling

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Sun 02 Aug 2015, 9:17 pm

Happytravelling wrote:I hoped he might get a bit further than that but I think you're right.

Shame, I like his attitude and he seems humble enough to take things on board but he needs to improve his movement and technique.

I hope i'm wrong i just don't think he the speed, power of defence to go to world level.

First thing he needs to do is make 2 more defences of his British title so he can get it for keeps, you can tell that belt means the world to him, which is great to see in the modern day of international and silver titles.

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Sun 02 Aug 2015, 9:17 pm

Or*

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by Happytravelling Sun 02 Aug 2015, 9:22 pm

When he did so well against Murray I thought he could make big strides and improve but he seems a little set.

He seems intent on being a 'slugger' and as a consequence is flat footed and slow.

I hope I'm wrong and as the fights get tougher he realises he needs to improve his head movement, defence etc.

Happytravelling

Back to top Go down

Post by Hands Of Stone Sun 02 Aug 2015, 9:43 pm

Euro level at best, already has 2 loses to fighter who aren't particularly world class.

He's easy to outbox if you don't engage him as he's as physically fit as anyone in boxing and loves to fight, but he doesn't have great power so if you can keep him at arms elngth he's easy to hit

Fun fighter though

Hands Of Stone

Back to top Go down

Post by Happytravelling Sun 02 Aug 2015, 11:42 pm

His losses are no big deal. He had no amateur career and is pretty much learning on the job. Considering how limited his experience is, he's not doing bad.

He seems to have the right attitude and is young so the question is, does he have the basic, natural abilities. Initially I thought he did but I'm starting to think he may not.

I think I agree, euro level is probably his limit but I hope I'm wrong.

Happytravelling

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down